search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area > Transportation and Infrastructure

Transportation and Infrastructure Discuss mass transit, roads, bridges, airports, water management, etc here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2017, 01:49 PM   #581
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1964

Latest on the PSTA BRT project:

Source: TBBJ

Quote:
The Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority is getting ready to take the next step in implementing Bus Rapid Transit connecting downtown St. Petersburg to the beaches.

PSTA is sending an environmental impact report on the project to the Federal Transit Administration this month.
Full Story: http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...r-to-long.html
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:55 PM   #582
HARTride 2012

In other PSTA matters, word is that the current trolley promotion being run for the Spring Break season will not occur again next year. I can't go into details, but in short, it's due to a wash of logistical problems.

Up until now, #'s 16101 and 16105 have not seen revenue service. All the other 16100s continue to see service primarily only on Route 59, with some buses occasionally being assigned to Routes 19, 74, 100X, or 300X. The roof issue at Park St Terminal continues to be problematic (buses can't fit under the terminal because the hybrid tanks are too tall), and because of the facility's age, I'm not sure if PSTA will execute a stopgap measure (which would be to raise the entire roof a few inches or make other modifications) or just restrict the buses from going in until a replacement facility is built (which is still five years away).

From what I'm hearing, PSTA staff isn't liking OneBusAway and is considering pulling out altogether from the project. I wouldn't be surprised if they do in favor of software that can better accommodate Direct Connect.

And then there's this: http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...authority.html (unfortunately, it's a subscriber story, so I can't access it).
Old April 22nd, 2017, 09:42 PM   #583
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Likes (Received): 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
From what I'm hearing, PSTA staff isn't liking OneBusAway and is considering pulling out altogether from the project. I wouldn't be surprised if they do in favor of software that can better accommodate Direct Connect.
I have to choose my words carefully on this one...

The See Click Fix feature of OneBusAway isn't popular with management on either side of the bay. It requires a lot of manhours to sift through the reports that come in from that thing, plus a lot of wasted manpower researching false reports. HART is going through self-imposed austerity measures right now to reduce the budget, including a hiring freeze, so perhaps it wasn't the best time to roll that feature out. On top of that, transit agencies are more narrow in scope compared to public utilities or law enforcement, so it's efficacy is questionable. HART has good operators and customer service reps that report issues seen on route/called in, good dispatchers and supervisors that make sure these reports are documented and addressed, and an awesome Facilities/Route Maintenance team that gets the job done quickly (Signal Advertising as well; they're very responsive when it comes to ad shelter issues). The same is true on the PSTA side.

Last edited by Szemeredy; April 22nd, 2017 at 09:59 PM.
Szemeredy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 02:17 AM   #584
HARTride 2012

Yuck! Talk about bad timing!

Yeah, I was only going by what I was hearing, so I wasn't sure how much was accurate. But when you have an agency that is on a skeleton budget and that budget is about to contract even further, what can you do?

I can definitely attest that HART Customer Service overall has been good, and Maintenance is very speedy at correcting issues. I've reported damaged shelters and stuff malfunctioning on buses several times and all with a quick response and turnaround.