search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #681
gerryuk

Likes (Received): 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladroit View Post
In the city centre, where the student population is shifting to and increasing, there is then a hugely increased demand for shops, retail and leisure. Whole swathes of the city which were once derelict with old rotting light industrial buildings are now or now becoming vibrant areas occupied by students who have money to spend. Bars, restaurants and leisure providers have sprung up en masse.
I think we would all agree that West Bar is the capital of student living within the borders of Sheffield City Centre. Apart from HSBC every building down there has been, or is been converted to student accommodation, this has been ongoing for years.
Hand on heart, can anybody honestly tell me that this area has become a vibrant place to live where bars, restaurants and leisure providers have spring up en masse?
West bar and its streets have become a soul destroying 24/7 ghost town, its streets are bereft of life.
Perhaps I was not looking hard enough but where are all the bars, restaurants and leisure providers that have moved in en masse to cater for the population?
Just out of interest, where do you go in West Bar for a loaf of bread and 20 fags after the town has shut up shop at 6pm sharp? Have doctors surgeries, dentists and pharmacies opened up to cater for the residents down there? Where are the community facilities?
West Bar vibrant, oh please. This whole area has the whiff of the 'streets in the sky' about it. You know, pile them high and as cheap as possible, provide no community facilities and wonder why it all goes pear shaped, as it will in years to come.

On another note, just spent Easter Sunday on Las Canteras beach in Las Palmas De Gran Canaria, the temperature was over 30 degrees, the sea was hot and the shandy's went down a treat.
If a city beach is what you are looking for, then I would highly recommend it.
Happy Easter to all, if you celebrate it.
gerryuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2017, 01:17 AM   #682
hjl_shef

Likes (Received): 112

It is a great beach, isn't it. If you're into good tapas and wine, you won't do much better than Tasca Galileo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryuk View Post
On another note, just spent Easter Sunday on Las Canteras beach in Las Palmas De Gran Canaria, the temperature was over 30 degrees, the sea was hot and the shandy's went down a treat.
If a city beach is what you are looking for, then I would highly recommend it.
Happy Easter to all, if you celebrate it.
hjl_shef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #683
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 697

I like Las Canteras beach too, not many Brits and s great vibe. I have a place I stay a block from the beach that was 40 euros a night last time I was there

As for West Bar, there are one or two places nearby, bars and delis mostly. The cop shop wasn't a student conversion and now has a bar and restaurant. There aren't many (if any) small retail units available that could sell a loaf and 20 fags - but there are shops not too far away. Apart from Velocity, I'm not sure if any of the West Bar conversions are housing students yet
Bladerunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #684
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 228

There's a Tesco Express on the ring road for the area of West Bar near to Kelham Island. There's both a Sainsburys and Tescos at the bottom of Fargate which is still very close to West Bar.
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #685
Maladroit

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
I think we would all agree that West Bar is the capital of student living within the borders of Sheffield City Centre. Apart from HSBC every building down there has been, or is been converted to student accommodation, this has been ongoing for years.
Hand on heart, can anybody honestly tell me that this area has become a vibrant place to live where bars, restaurants and leisure providers have spring up en masse?
West bar and its streets have become a soul destroying 24/7 ghost town, its streets are bereft of life.
Perhaps I was not looking hard enough but where are all the bars, restaurants and leisure providers that have moved in en masse to cater for the population?
Just out of interest, where do you go in West Bar for a loaf of bread and 20 fags after the town has shut up shop at 6pm sharp? Have doctors surgeries, dentists and pharmacies opened up to cater for the residents down there? Where are the community facilities?
West Bar vibrant, oh please. This whole area has the whiff of the 'streets in the sky' about it. You know, pile them high and as cheap as possible, provide no community facilities and wonder why it all goes pear shaped, as it will in years to come.
I never said West Bar was vibrant. I didn't name West Bar either.

West Bar for me is a work in progress. The area behind the Courts was supposed to be completed around 2008 but the recession happened. It will happen somewhat belatedly within the next 18months-2 years. It will have quite a few bars and restaurants. Add in Gibraltar Street where the following are currently being built within a renovated Victorian terrace (Quality fish and chip bar, convenience store, deli, micro pub), with the already existing excellent Shakespeare pub, and I would say the area is becoming vibrant and will be vibrant within the next 2 years.

As well as a lot more students living in the area (i.e. Around one thousand young people with money to spend), the office space being built will be for around another one to three thousand professionals. This will support further shops and bars popping up.

Compare that to what it was 12 years ago.

eighty4, Wazzock, Rugster liked this post
Maladroit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #686
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2600

Quote:
I think we would all agree that West Bar is the capital of student living within the borders of Sheffield City Centre
I wouldnt say it is yet, no. Apart from Sovereign House none of the other student conversions or constructions have been completed or even started yet. Theres more normal resi round there than student right now.
CODA Instagram

Rugster liked this post
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #687
dbs235

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
I think we would all agree that West Bar is the capital of student living within the borders of Sheffield City Centre.
For the University of Sheffield, possibly. Most of the student accommodation for Sheffield Hallam is in the area between the train station and St.Mary's road, in the south east of the city centre. They then tend to move into houses on Ecclesall road after their first year.

Bladerunner liked this post
dbs235 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:47 PM   #688
UrbanFutures

Likes (Received): 89

Big drugs bust outside the old post office this lunchtime, looked like they grabbed most of the people gathered in Fitzalan Square

muddycoffee liked this post
UrbanFutures no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:23 PM   #689
AlexHudson

Likes (Received): 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanFutures View Post
Big drugs bust outside the old post office this lunchtime, looked like they grabbed most of the people gathered in Fitzalan Square
What a shit hole that area is
AlexHudson está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 09:09 AM   #690
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 228

Finally. People are part of what make places good, Fitzalan Square needs to rid itself of people like that.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 10:14 PM   #691
Wazzock

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHudson View Post
What a shit hole that area is
hopefully not for too much longer
Wazzock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 10:24 PM   #692
AlexHudson

Likes (Received): 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzock View Post
hopefully not for too much longer
Hope springs eternal. The fact that certain banned posters on here insisted how wonderful it is still bewilders me beyond exasperation
AlexHudson está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #693
robhundall

Likes (Received): 686

May 9th;

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider...heffield-tower

NedStark liked this post
robhundall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 12:34 AM   #694
hella good
Something of a monster

No reason why this shouldnt go through
CODA Instagram
Old May 5th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #695
UrbanFutures

Likes (Received): 89

It's a shame it looks so stumpy now, the previous design would have had a lot more presence on the skyline

NedStark liked this post
UrbanFutures no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #696
eighty4

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanFutures View Post
It's a shame it looks so stumpy now, the previous design would have had a lot more presence on the skyline
Sadly it's at the bottom of a hill so it won't be visible from many places, all the buildings on arundel gate will block the view.
Old May 5th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #697
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 697

Reduced from 22 to 16 floors. Not the first time we've seen a significant height reduction.

Still, it will transform Pond St.
Bladerunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 12:20 AM   #698
hella good
Something of a monster

Itll definitely add some density from the north and east though
CODA Instagram
Old May 6th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #699
NedStark

Likes (Received): 295

I don't mind the height so much, on the basis that I am not overly keen on the design.
NedStark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #700
NedStark

Likes (Received): 295

This was granted on Tuesday. It looks like this is on the condition that more information on the details of the materials are provided, particularly where the tower meets the listed building.