search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #501
mjohnoston

Likes (Received): 476

Go check out Google Maps for example, they weren't there at the start of the year.

daveydonnelly liked this post
mjohnoston no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:02 PM   #502
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 6577

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannyState View Post
Reminds me of that line from SNATCH... theres no reaction like a pikey reaction

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::

Wilderbeast liked this post
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #503
iGalway

Likes (Received): 33

Well that's a new one
iGalway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #504
iGalway

Well if indeed they are there, they've been recognised as an ethnic minority so I suppose they are reallllly untouchable now.

Is there nothing at all that will move them? Perhaps a new place?
iGalway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #505
daveydonnelly

Likes (Received): 507

They can't just stay there forever, ethnic minority or not. If there's an appetite for them to go - they'll go. When these are developed, they'll move along surely, with a sweetener no doubt.
daveydonnelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #506
Gaillimh
Registered Use

Likes (Received): 357

It will fill up with caravans soon enough once they know DCC will have to pay them off. A lucrative lifestyle indeed.

Gaillimh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #507
mjohnoston

There's no room to do so, it's used as a car park by lots of people. Authorities should just install some bollards to block off that area from vehicles
Old April 21st, 2017, 12:18 PM   #508
roycon

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaillimh View Post
It will fill up with caravans soon enough once they know DCC will have to pay them off. A lucrative lifestyle indeed.

This is ridiculous, there is currently one caravan there at the moment and the reason they went there initially is because it was out of the way and run down and no one would bother them and they have been there for a very long time at this stage. I'm sure if they were given 5k they would move on in a flash but I would say what is more likely is they will be asked to move on and will do so voluntarily.

Everyone deserves a place to live no matter how shit and small the place is. A lot of people would be delighted with a box apartment.
roycon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:42 PM   #509
Fred_Johnson

Likes (Received): 850

That corner residential building across from the tower looks so ridiculous now. Nice planning, DCC, you bunch of incompetents.

daveydonnelly, HandyAndrew liked this post
Fred_Johnson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:58 PM   #510
daveydonnelly

Agreed it should be quadruple that at least.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 03:55 PM   #511
Oriel

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Johnson View Post
That corner residential building across from the tower looks so ridiculous now. Nice planning, DCC, you bunch of incompetents.
No doubt that development was originally objected to by some nutter objecting to its "height". "This is Dublin, not Manhattan!"

Fred_Johnson, Rapter, Wilderbeast liked this post
Oriel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 11:35 PM   #512
opatta17

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:

500m East from that building there is row of 60 cottages along the quay, this is what "ridiculous" really means:

...with something I was not aware of, and I find hard to believe but google shows it - kind of allotment garden?

Last edited by opatta17; April 23rd, 2017 at 11:41 PM. Reason: allotment garden added
opatta17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 11:53 PM   #513
mjohnoston

Why do people find it ridiculous that there have been people living in Dublin city for decades? Particularly in areas like the Docklands which were complete wastelands until 10-20 years ago.

I find it ridiculous that so many on here think that redevelopment should happen instantly everywhere in the city, and indeed, I find it ridiculous that people think that kind of rapid redevelopment would actually be a healthy thing for the city.
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #514
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by opatta17 View Post
...with something I was not aware of, and I find hard to believe but google shows it - kind of allotment garden?
Why is a small allotment garden located beside a park and established housing that hard to believe?

Old April 24th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #515
phillips01

tbf the tiny victoria (?) cottages are relatively high density housing, all things considered.

Its the more modern semis behind them with the massive gardens that should irk!

DS86 liked this post
phillips01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:23 PM   #516
Fred_Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnoston View Post
Why do people find it ridiculous that there have been people living in Dublin city for decades? Particularly in areas like the Docklands which were complete wastelands until 10-20 years ago.

I find it ridiculous that so many on here think that redevelopment should happen instantly everywhere in the city, and indeed, I find it ridiculous that people think that kind of rapid redevelopment would actually be a healthy thing for the city.
I think what we find ridiculous, at least what i found ridiculous, was the Celtic Tiger developments built in the last 15 years by the riverfront which look ridiculous now that we're seeing more substantial developments. There was clearly no joined up thinking. Why didn't they have more ambition 15 years ago?

No-one is talking about uprooting long established communities. However they also do not have an automatic right to block all and sundry around them in a petulant outburst of anti-development fever. Bottom line is Dublin city centre has to be a national resource that generates economic activity for the nation, not their own personal village. Also i've no idea how too much development can be "unhealthy" for any city.
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #517
belfastuniguy
Subliving

There was ambition though, but that ambition was subject to economic reality following the crash. It's only now starting to recover. All grand proposals for Zaha Hadid skyscrapers and so on was ambitious albeit based on an inflated property market and easy finance.

Old April 24th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #518
Fred_Johnson

I mean lack of ambition from planners, not from developers. If developers had more of a free hand, i'm pretty sure we wouldn't have the chronic shortage of apartments, offices and hotels that we do now. The reason there is not more apartment building in the city centre is down to planners, not developers.

Old April 24th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #519
daveydonnelly

DUBLIN | Capital Dock | 23fls (79m) | Under Construction

A lot of the ambitious projects that were lined up and mothballed would have been built now if they hadn't spent years going through our ridiculous planning system. That's the really annoying thing and I'd be scared of the same thing happening again. Let's say we have now started to now see ambitious projects again - by the time they have finance and spend two years in planning hell , we could have another recession on our hands.

Fred_Johnson, Gaillimh, Wilderbeast liked this post
Old April 24th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #520
Gaillimh
Registered Use

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Why didn't they have more ambition 15 years ago?
There was plenty of ambition from the developers and money to do it. It was the same story with DDDA 15 years ago when they kept imposing ridiculous height restrictions all around the Docklands. A decent ten storey block would be proposed only to be reduced to 5 storeys with setback™.

Several 30+ towers were proposed around the city during the 2000s only to be shot down by DCC or DDDA, and after dithering for years and finally approving some tall buildings, all the money ran out.

Gaillimh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: