search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Texas

Texas » Projects and Construction | Photos | Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2017, 01:47 AM   #2361
Chrisfoxx

Likes (Received): 365

You forgot these gems of horrid design. There's this Alamo tower thing

And then there is this.... (shields eyes)
Chrisfoxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:58 AM   #2362
Weatherguy

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Houston seems to have a bad reputation for architecture all around. If you ask me, all of these "stucco" buildings going up in Dallas look terrible, and they will look even worse in twenty years.
However, when I travel, I hear a lot of positive reviews of Houston's architecture from all over. There are some beautiful buildings in both Downtown and Uptown especially. There are some duds, of course (especially the one you posted a pic of). I feel the same about Dallas architecture. Lots of really beautiful buildings and some duds here and there. I sometimes wonder how some buildings ever get approved, but I guess big cities don't implement standards for aesthetics. Some small cities do, of course (notably Santa Fe).

Last edited by Weatherguy; April 21st, 2017 at 04:23 AM.
Weatherguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:14 AM   #2363
Weatherguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTall2222 View Post
please forgive me for any (post) which "offended" your "person" or your "intellegence" ; ask me any question about what you do not understand about my (post), and i will "explain" them to you "clearly", and also tell me what "offends" you about my (post), so i can understand how i "upset" your integrity,"the coment" you made, about "not understanding my post", i could of "explained", but "putting it out their", for people, to "eat up", and totally make a really hatefull statement,...that "i am on illeagle substances", and put their credentials in bold blue underneath it, to mock and humiliate me, only defeats the purpose... So just ask me, or people, will countinue to throw hurtfull phrases out at people, instead of "stateting their "disagreement" with what i said and why,...which "results" in people looking up to them as mentors or leaders, in the wrong way, sadly... Sincerely SuperTall2222
(677.5626 Meters)
I haven't seen anyone say anything hateful or imply things (unless they did and their posts were deleted).

I apologize for my initial comment which expressed confusion regarding your posts. I will be more patient with the fact that we all have different writing styles and will focus on the content, not style.
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:15 AM   #2364
JasnoDTX

Likes (Received): 276

Supertall has a unique posting style but having years dealing with true troll characters all over the net it doesn't phase me that much. Plus Supertalls posts don't seem frictional or confrontational. He seems mostly positive so yea it's just fine.
JasnoDTX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:27 AM   #2365
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
However, when I travel, I hear a lot of positive reviews of Houston's architecture from all over. There are some beautiful buildings in both Downtown and Uptown especially. There are some duds, of course (especially the one you posted a pic of). I feel the same about Dallas architecture. Lots of really beautiful buildings and some duds here and there. I sometimes wonder how some buildings ever get approved, but I guess big cities don't implement standards for aesthetics. Some small cities do, of course (notably Santa Fe).
Fort Worth and San Antonio take the title for best architecture since they actually saved their original brick and mortar prewar buildings. Dallas and Houston, sad to say, demolished a lot of theirs. Damn suburbia!
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 08:50 AM   #2366
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Fort Worth and San Antonio take the title for best architecture since they actually saved their original brick and mortar prewar buildings. Dallas and Houston, sad to say, demolished a lot of theirs. Damn suburbia!
there are plenty of these in Downtown Dallas.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:30 PM   #2367
Chrisfoxx

I was in a heated discussion over Dallas getting a supertall. A guy at work made a good point. BOA plaza is the crown jewel of Dallas. A supertall would displace that building and make it less significant. It is meant to be the centerpiece. Anything to eclipse that tower should be put away from downtown and let BOA plaza remain the main focus. It makes sense but I still think a nice skinny post modern tower would improve the skyline and enhance BOA plaza. Any thoughts?
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:15 PM   #2368
JasnoDTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfoxx View Post
I was in a heated discussion over Dallas getting a supertall. A guy at work made a good point. BOA plaza is the crown jewel of Dallas. A supertall would displace that building and make it less significant. It is meant to be the centerpiece. Anything to eclipse that tower should be put away from downtown and let BOA plaza remain the main focus. It makes sense but I still think a nice skinny post modern tower would improve the skyline and enhance BOA plaza. Any thoughts?
It does bring up an interesting point. I know people who've never been to Dallas or Houston and even though you tell them Houstons skyline is taller many of them say they still like Dallas' better because of balance(core only)... especially at certain angles. The Dallas BOA acts the same as the US Bank tower in LA. It's the centerpiece surrounded by bold tall 686 to 787ft works of art. Though I'd love a supertall ...anything between 787 and 921 would also be kick arse. Especially a bold one.

A supertall outside the core would be interesting. The best place could be at our galleria since they're are a few good sized bldgs there though it would dwarf them. Truthfully a 500-700ftr there would be fine. We don't need to try to be Houston. Or maybe next to Cityplace.

Last edited by JasnoDTX; April 21st, 2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old April 21st, 2017, 07:14 PM   #2369
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1463

Quote:
That's a rather weak point. The Magnolia Building was once Dallas' tallest building, with the "Flying Red Horse" being the pinnacle of the Dallas skyline for years. It was also the tallest building west of the Mississippi River for quite a long time. However, eventually many towers eclipsed its height. The Mercantile, then the Gables Republic Bank Building, then Elm Place (now The Drever), and eventually the BoA building. However, the Magnolia Building, with its "Flying Red Horse", to this very day still remains an enduring architectural icon of the city of Dallas, even more so than the BoA building, considering how much of an impact that "Flying Red Horse"--what was originally intended to be a temporary gimmick for an oil man convention--has had on our city's culture.

Also, the BoA tower is a Postmodern building.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 07:29 PM   #2370
Son of Dad

Likes (Received): 21

Not enough pics on this page...
Son of Dad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 10:49 PM   #2371
Chrisfoxx

Bc it's a new page.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 02:44 AM   #2372
Weatherguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
there are plenty of these in Downtown Dallas.
Once I spent a lot of time driving around downtown Houston, I found to my surprise that there are quite a few of these there. I think the only ones that are fairly tall, though, are the Esperson building and what was once the Gulf Building (not sure what it's called now).

SuperTall2222 liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2017, 02:49 AM   #2373
Weatherguy

What is the building in downtown Dallas with the thing on top that looks sort of like a rocket? Ever since I was a kid, when we would visit Dallas I loved that building, including the panels (aluminum?). I've found few people who liked it, but I will always love it.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 03:49 AM   #2374
JasnoDTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
What is the building in downtown Dallas with the thing on top that looks sort of like a rocket? Ever since I was a kid, when we would visit Dallas I loved that building, including the panels (aluminum?). I've found few people who liked it, but I will always love it.
Youd have to narrow it down. Lots of bldgs look like rockets.
You might be taking about the Republic Center Tower 1
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Center
Old April 22nd, 2017, 05:59 AM   #2375
Weatherguy

That's it. Thank you! I haven't researched when it was built, but it looks like a 50's building, maybe early 60's.

My college roommate was from Dallas. He told me that the Zales building on Stemmons was one of the first talls outside of downtown, maybe built in the early 70s. Not sure if it's even called the Zales building now. But back then, it was apparently a popular building.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 06:11 AM   #2376
()_T

Likes (Received): 2144

Houston

I just got a drone and have been having so much fun touring around Houston up in the sky. by Thomas, on Flickr

Chrisfoxx liked this post
()_T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:23 AM   #2377
AXIS of EVIL
Cyber Cop

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
I was in a heated discussion over Dallas getting a supertall. A guy at work made a good point. BOA plaza is the crown jewel of Dallas.
BOA Plaza's had a good run for over 30 years as Dallas' tallest. Its time for Dallas' skyline to enter the 21st century. Besides BOA became the tallest in Dallas by displacing the building that was tallest before it, etc, the cycle goes on.

This Perot tower is on the opposite end of the DTD skyline from BOA, this tower will only add balance to the skyline and start extending it in the other direction. Win-win top down.
AXIS of EVIL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 01:00 PM   #2378
Chrisfoxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIS of EVIL View Post
BOA Plaza's had a good run for over 30 years as Dallas' tallest. Its time for Dallas' skyline to enter the 21st century. Besides BOA became the tallest in Dallas by displacing the building that was tallest before it, etc, the cycle goes on.

This Perot tower is on the opposite end of the DTD skyline from BOA, this tower will only add balance to the skyline and start extending it in the other direction. Win-win top down.
There is no way I could have worded it better. Eventually, Dallas will evolve and I can not wait! Same for us here in SA. I will post some drone pics In a bit for the guests that view this thread. Don't want to lose our viewers. We just really love Dallas.

JasnoDTX liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2017, 06:44 PM   #2379
JasnoDTX

Another "questionable" Dallas tower design. The Pegasus Villas in West Dallas. I see it from my uncle's apt tower all the time. It's definitely different. The Stonehenge stacks on top are polarizing. Love it or hate it. Haha.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 02:45 AM   #2380
Chrisfoxx

Posts coming soon
Trouble formatting my pics...

Last edited by Chrisfoxx; April 23rd, 2017 at 02:55 AM.

Tags
amarillo, austin, corpus christi, dallas, el paso, ft. worth, houston, lubbock, midland, san antonio, texas