daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #841
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 1868

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasmore View Post
I do think Honest Crust is much better, mostly because the people who work there are obsessed with pizza and work very hard to make their pizza the best. What does that take? Well, experimenting with the hydration of the dough, the length of fermentation, using the right type of oven - in this instance a wood burning oven that can get to 400 - 450C to produce the desired 'leoparding' on the crust. Also, working with the best ingredients: top quality meats, cheese and vegetables. I guess I would say that though - I work for Honest Crust!
Indeed...I got utterly obsessed with pizza making last year (a different planet from those celebrity cook books with their 'pizza' recipes).
I made hundreds, experimenting with fractions of percentages (hydrations),
read god knows how many 'essays' on the art (mainly from American forums. Once you start getting it right, it's absolutely incredible (and this is from a standard domestic oven, not a wood fired one). Neapolitan style (couldn't quite get the perfect leoparding, despite modding the oven!!)/New York and sourdough (my own sourdough yeast...very difficult to work with, but sublime taste). I seriously looked into this a business at one stage, but I got rather fat and the restaurant game is perhaps a little too insane even for me...maybe at a later date!

Honest Crust in the city would be good, but then maybe less of an excuse to visit Alty.
Haven't tried Crazy Pedro's or Ply (Ply look like they've got it right).
Save
PotreroHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #842
PotreroHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_rat View Post
Rudy's is excellent but I'm not a fan of their pretentious no bookings policy which means you can't get in there on a Saturday unless you arrive at 4 in the afternoon.

It's not a big deal for me living in the city centre (even though me and my partner have been turned away twice) but I'd be pretty gutted if I'd travelled far to get there.

Honest Crust is also great and I'm looking forward to them opening in the centre (if true) but they are well expensive... not sure if the city centre will be as quick to part with £12 for a (admittedly better than restaurant quality) pizza in a casual setting as the Cheshire set.

Ply are under-rated, people seem to like Dough but I'm not a huge fan of their style of pizzas.

Slice also deserve a mention, a totally different style of pizza from Rudys/Honest Crust/Ply but a good cheap(ish) option and reminiscent of the casual slice pizza places you get in Barca, Berlin etc.
Yeah, there's huge variety of pizzas...it's a wonderful art form really. Simple in ingredients, but incredibly complex to master...even some of the top bread bakers learn something every day from it.
If anything else, I'm going to build a wood fire oven in my garden...I'd laid off it for a while (it sent me a little 'under').

There was a place in San Francisco similar to Slice so I'm glad we've got something like that in Manchester now. These huge triangle pieces, not particularly 'artisan' but totally delicious...will give Ply a try soon.
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #843
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotreroHill View Post
Indeed...I got utterly obsessed with pizza making last year (a different planet from those celebrity cook books with their 'pizza' recipes).
I made hundreds, experimenting with fractions of percentages (hydrations),
read god knows how many 'essays' on the art (mainly from American forums. Once you start getting it right, it's absolutely incredible (and this is from a standard domestic oven, not a wood fired one). Neapolitan style (couldn't quite get the perfect leoparding, despite modding the oven!!)/New York and sourdough (my own sourdough yeast...very difficult to work with, but sublime taste). I seriously looked into this a business at one stage, but I got rather fat and the restaurant game is perhaps a little too insane even for me...maybe at a later date!

Honest Crust in the city would be good, but then maybe less of an excuse to visit Alty.
Haven't tried Crazy Pedro's or Ply (Ply look like they've got it right).
Save
Crazy Pedro's is pretty standard fair, and they instead seem to focus on the whacky toppings rather than the quality of the pizza.

I completely forgot to mention Salvi's Rosticceria on John Dalton Street which serves reheated HUGE slices of proper italian pizza for £2.50, puts Crazy Pedro's down the road to shame.

PotreroHill liked this post
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #844
he-bloke

Likes (Received): 403

Crazy Pedro's is the best for me, the closest I've had to the pizza I get when I go to America. There's still nowhere that does it quite right though. I can't be doing with these Ply / Rudy's thin soggy doughy things where you get two toppings and a sprinkling of cheese which fall straight off as soon as you pick it up. Always leave hungry.

Dough and Croma are popular but my last Croma was poor.
he-bloke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #845
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 656

I'd love it if honest crust had another outlet at the Market hall in Stalybridge - it's crying out for an Alti-style conversion! In the meantime I'll just have to build my own clay cob oven in my garden!
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #846
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Likes (Received): 608

Can you discuss your favourite pizzas on the bars and restaurants thread or maybe at a meet up where you all eat pizza in a blind taste test. Thanks

M60 liked this post
Obobru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #847
PotreroHill

Good pizza is a leisure attraction.
But yeah, this thread has mushroomed somewhat...

Justme, purple_cat liked this post
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #848
Manchesterwill

Likes (Received): 361

I rate Rudy's/Ply the most personally although Rudy's is too thin and they don't offer any starters so you'll still be hungry.

Pedros is okay but too focused on toppings
Croma - very average
Dough - awful
Salvis - very good
Don Giovannis - below average
Slice - below average

will be interesting to try the new San Carlo pizza only place when it opens !
Manchesterwill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:18 PM   #849
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 3284

The Stoller Hall Opening Weekend

Nice to see The Stoller Hall finally opening:

Quote:
The Stoller Hall opens with a magnificent Opening Weekend showcasing the brilliance and versatility of the space.

Join BBC Radio 3 as they open the Hall with a special live broadcast of In Tune; enjoy late night jazz fusion with Gwilym Simcock and his friends, superb chamber music from the Navarra String Quartet as they continue Chetham’s complete cycle of Shostakovich String Quartets, or be one of a lucky few to snap up public tickets to a very special Opening Celebration Concert featuring two conductors, two orchestras and a multitude of superb musicians.

In our second space, the Carole Nash Hall, there’s music and dance with our partners from the Hammond School, Chester and Victoria College of Arts, Melbourne; whilst in the Oglesby Atrium, Gabriella Swallow and her Urban Family give two dynamic free performances for audiences of all ages. Alongside them, there’ll be exhibitions of music photography by Tom Bangbala and new panels created by artist James Mayhew with primary school children from across Greater Manchester – a project by our Outreach department, who also present a brand new piece of music by composer Michael Betteridge, inspired by the city and performed by its young players.

Whether you book for everything or you just call in to explore over the weekend, everyone is welcome to discover The Stoller Hall as it opens its doors to its very first audiences.
http://stollerhall.com/festivals/opening-weekend/
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 04:31 PM   #850
Pit-yacker

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obobru View Post
I wonder what will happen with the Gallery as Vue don't seem to have a similar product which was a UCI creation which Odeon expanded into other cinemas.
Vue have "Gold Class" screens. Not used The Gallery, but I thought they were basically the same thing. Vue Lowry Gold Class screen has large "arm chairs", its own private bar and service at your seat.

interesting the way this has panned out. Leaves some questions:
1. Will AMC invest in Great Northern now? Will they perhaps expand to use unused space? Will they renew their lease? - conventional wisdom I saw was they weren't expected to renew.

2. What happens to Vue at the Lowry? Like Great Northern, it never seems to be that busy.

3. Will the Odeon or AMC name be ditched?

To be honest I never been a fan of Odeon as a chain. I was saddened when they took over UCI. The prices seem to go through the roof, whilst maintenance seemed to be "bare minimal acceptable".

I know it means different things to different people, but my mental association of the name Odeon is a flea-pit cinema where they make you wait outside in the rain until 15 mins before the film starts.
Pit-yacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:23 PM   #851
Futurelink
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 97

The Gallery is different to Gold Class in that it shares a screen with standard class, whereas Gold Class has its own dedicated screen.
Futurelink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 08:05 PM   #852
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 10274

Even better.
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:47 PM   #853
purple_cat

Likes (Received): 3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotreroHill View Post
Good pizza is a leisure attraction.
But yeah, this thread has mushroomed somewhat...
Groan - terrible pun
purple_cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 03:15 AM   #854
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurelink View Post
The Gallery is different to Gold Class in that it shares a screen with standard class, whereas Gold Class has its own dedicated screen.
Also gallery is unlimited soft drinks, popcorn and natchos which no other cinema chain seem to offer do they? I haven't ever used any other cinemas premium seating.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 03:21 AM   #855
AJD1984

Vue's premier seating is better imo. Its more roomy and comfortable. We will have to see what Vue do when they change over in May.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 03:22 AM   #856
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit-yacker View Post
1. Will AMC invest in Great Northern now? Will they perhaps expand to use unused space? Will they renew their lease? - conventional wisdom I saw was they weren't expected to renew.

2. What happens to Vue at the Lowry? Like Great Northern, it never seems to be that busy.

3. Will the Odeon or AMC name be ditched?
1. Very unlikely other than a refresh of carpets and seat covers and adding a lot more food options and some new signs. The lease is already long so i don't think it needs renewing anytime soon, i think when the council tried to buy the Great Northern to expand Gmex it came out that the lease and trying to buy the cinema out of it was the reason the council didn't progress.

2. The running costs must be low i haven't been for a long time but it had so few staff and i doubt they are paying much rent as i heard the previous owners did some very good deals to get people not to close stores etc years ago and i am sure the cinema got a good long term deal.

3. AMC name will be ditched as it's the only one and only in the USA have they renamed purchased chains AMC with others worldwide staying under the local brands. The AMC has no brand equity here and it would be a waste of money to rebrand loads of cinemas when you can do just one.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 04:43 AM   #857
AJD1984

ODEON/AMC will want to have an IMAX screen so its possible they will invest in one of those. Apart from Limitless thats the only other reason to go to ODEON at that end of town. That said, ODEON really do need to drop their prices and the Blockbuster charge.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 01:21 PM   #858
Pit-yacker

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obobru View Post
1. Very unlikely other than a refresh of carpets and seat covers and adding a lot more food options and some new signs. The lease is already long so i don't think it needs renewing anytime soon, i think when the council tried to buy the Great Northern to expand Gmex it came out that the lease and trying to buy the cinema out of it was the reason the council didn't progress.
My understanding is that "was a long lease" might be a better phrase. I think the lease might actually end in around 5 years. The question would be, will the present situation see a marked change or will it just be run down for closure.

Quote:
2. The running costs must be low i haven't been for a long time but it had so few staff and i doubt they are paying much rent as i heard the previous owners did some very good deals to get people not to close stores etc years ago and i am sure the cinema got a good long term deal.
Not my understanding. From an uninformed reading of their accounts at companies house.

Quote:
3. AMC name will be ditched as it's the only one and only in the USA have they renamed purchased chains AMC with others worldwide staying under the local brands. The AMC has no brand equity here and it would be a waste of money to rebrand loads of cinemas when you can do just one.
Really depends on what the perceived value of the "Odeon" brand is. As previous, I personally have a negative view of the brand. A number of comments here suggest a perception of it being "over-priced" (contrast with "premium" - they aren't the same thing)

EDIT: According to this . The lease expires in 2021.Also rent/service charges are £4.5m

Last edited by Pit-yacker; April 23rd, 2017 at 01:28 PM.
Pit-yacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #859
Futurelink
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 97

Leisure Attractions In Greater Manchester

MEN reporting that negotiations are underway to rebrand AMC as Odeon.

Obobru liked this post
Futurelink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #860
Obobru
Proud Citizen

The Odeon will close this Sunday and be closed for a couple of weeks for a rebrand and maybe a basic refit.

The AMC I hear will also be refitted as part of the first trench of investment from AMC to bring new seats and improved F&B options.