search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 4.94 average.
Old April 8th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #2781
ps60

Likes (Received): 953

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfusion777 View Post
True, but what will be the magnitude of the increase I wonder? It may not be as much as you expect.

Even looking above Leeds, the figures are interesting. The gap between Nottingham and Manchester (above) is smaller than that between Nottingham and Edinburgh (below), and Edinburgh isn't a poor city.
The likelihood is that had Victoriagate been open a full year instead of around a fifth of a year, the Leeds figure would be a good £200 million higher. The knock-on effect of just nine weeks or so was at least an extra £50 million. Allowing for the fact this was the run-up to Christmas, we are probably looking at £200 million or more.

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #2782
sherwood199

Likes (Received): 956

If the Colwick Sainsbury's looks likely now I wonder if the WB one will come out of being mothballed also ? That would be very welcome next to the tram stop on Wilford Lane....

http://m.nottinghampost.com/plans-to...ail/story.html

The race is definitely on for a new cinema or two in the city, Broadmarsh, Beeston, Ikea and here still. I wrote to Rushcliffe recently suggesting we should look at a leisure option in borough also which could attract Everyman and a few nicer restaurants
sherwood199 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #2783
Bingethink

Likes (Received): 395

Surely the go-ahead for Colwick makes Wilford less likely??
Old April 12th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #2784
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 110

Could Wilford Lane cope with the extra traffic created by a large supermarket?
The area around the tram stop at rush hour is always gridlocked.

601 Lexington Avenue liked this post
Stefan88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 11:33 PM   #2785
Bingethink

Planning permission was granted so I guess the traffic surveys say yes.
Old April 13th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #2786
sherwood199

According to this Rushcliffe BC approved plans back in Aug 2012... do these now expire this Aug ? I know it would cause traffic chaos but I've always thought it was an excellent site for Sainburys (perhaps I'm bias as I could walk to it)...

http://www.nottinghampost.com/plans-...ail/story.html
Old April 13th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #2787
kevjs1982

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood199 View Post
According to this Rushcliffe BC approved plans back in Aug 2012... do these now expire this Aug ? I know it would cause traffic chaos but I've always thought it was an excellent site for Sainburys (perhaps I'm bias as I could walk to it)...

http://www.nottinghampost.com/plans-...ail/story.html
It was originally mothballed around the same time as the Gedling one wasn't it? IIRC they removed a petrol station from it - wonder if the proposed one on Melton Road is to cancel that out? Will be interesting to see if Waitrose and Sainsbury's finally get forgotten about or built though!
kevjs1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #2788
sherwood199

I think so.Looking on the Rushcliffe planning portal the permission has now expired on Wilford Lane so it is probably dead...

https://planningon-line.rushcliffe.g...UL--650823.pdf
Old April 13th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #2789
pharmj

Likes (Received): 59

NOTTINGHAM | Retail In The Great City of Nottingham

Sainburys put in planning to demolish and rebuild the petrol station ( think its an Esso?) on Melton Road under their own banner attached to a Sainburys Local store. This was a few months ago but being less than a mile from Wilford road- would suggest they have pulled back from these larger plans.

Edit: just saw post above- I concur!
Old April 13th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #2790
incident

Likes (Received): 2

I think that Sainsburys still have permission for Wilford Lane until early next year.

A combination of 14/01414/VAR (changes to the original plans) and 14/01389/FUL (adding the petrol station) allow them to start development until 5th January 2018.
incident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:45 PM   #2791
WillPS

Likes (Received): 4

The 'community information' microsite at one point indicated the scheme was mothballed - but it's one of a very small number of schemesn(by comparison to 5 years ago) on their corporate website: http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/about-u.../supermarkets/
WillPS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #2792
nguba

Likes (Received): 79

Two retail announcements today potentially of interest in Nottingham:

Debenhams is to close 10 stores and revamp the rest of its portfolio, with a focus on in store
experiences. I don't think the locations that will be closed have been announced.

M&S is to open 34 food only shops and 2 clothing & home shops. 6 shops will be closed, including Worksop.

Last edited by nguba; April 20th, 2017 at 03:10 PM.
nguba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #2793
goosewing

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguba View Post
Two retail announcements today:

Debenhams is to close 10 stores and revamp the rest of its portfolio, with a focus on in store experiences. I don't think the locations that will be closed have been announced.

M&S is to open 34 food only shops and 2 clothing & home shops. 6 shops will be closed, including Worksop.
The Nottingham Debenhams really needs a full gutting and re-build behind the existing facades. The building has developed piecemeal with multiple changes in level, strange cut-throughs and passages throughout. Although façadism is frowned upon I think it could be a really positive move for this store - imagine a big atrium void facing the market square with escalators and lifts connecting open floorplates beyond, each with views out to the market square...
goosewing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #2794
djfusion777

Likes (Received): 412

Debenhams are living on borrowed time. What's their USP?

Their newer stores have more footfall than the older ones, but I can think of a few that don't appear to be in shape to go the distance. The Nottingham store is probably on that list.
djfusion777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #2795
Bingethink

Debenhams in Nottingham probably needs to relocate and start again. If only there was a shopping centre undergoing refurbishment.

BerlinerBär liked this post
Bingethink está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #2796
sherwood199

Terrible reporting by the Post again. Debenhams have 176 stores, closing the poorest performing 10 stores (5.7%) is highly unlikely to involve the Nottingham store. They have expanded onto retail parks recently and have some strange locations which must be at risk ? You can walk around the one in Chesterfield and never see another customer....

I think Debenhams, Primark and M&S are pretty vital in their current locations to avoid the polarisation of the city centre. If these all moved into one of the shopping centres it would damage the fabric of the city centre. Remember that intu and Westfield were fighting over Debenhams back in 2011 only for both options to get canned.

Strangely I quite like the Nottingham store, much more quirky than the standard Highcross/Bullring/Meadowhall stores. Nottingham also lends itself better to creating the social experience Debenhams are now looking to do with their stores - nothing worse than a Costa stuck in the middle of a faceless, box of a department store in my opinion...

http://www.nottinghampost.com/could-...ail/story.html
Old April 20th, 2017, 09:56 PM   #2797
nguba

Likes (Received): 79

Looking at Oxford Street in London you can see the direction of travel for the High Street. Two branches of Waterstones have closed, as has WHSmith. HMV is also closing.

Meanwhile opposite Selfridges, you have showrooms for Tesla and Dyson which are more brand positioning exercises than anything else.

To draw people in you have to offer an experience of very high quality.
nguba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 12:15 AM   #2798
mf121

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguba View Post
Looking at Oxford Street in London you can see the direction of travel for the High Street. Two branches of Waterstones have closed, as has WHSmith. HMV is also closing.

Meanwhile opposite Selfridges, you have showrooms for Tesla and Dyson which are more brand positioning exercises than anything else.

To draw people in you have to offer an experience of very high quality.
Waterstones was kicked out of its location as the landlord is redeveloping the site.

WHSmith and the 2nd Waterstones is currently inside the Plaza shopping centre on Oxford Street, and the landlord is also redeveloping the site, kicking them out.

All the current 20 tenants are being moved on, and the site is being knocked into a single massive 73,000 sqft flagship Next store.
mf121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 07:20 AM   #2799
djfusion777

Likes (Received): 412

I can never quite get my head around the success of Next. The quality is poor, products don't seem particularly fashionable, it's not the cheapest place yet the public seem to love it? Haven't been in one for yonks. Their Home store is quite pricey too.
djfusion777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:22 PM   #2800
mf121

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfusion777 View Post
I can never quite get my head around the success of Next. The quality is poor, products don't seem particularly fashionable, it's not the cheapest place yet the public seem to love it? Haven't been in one for yonks. Their Home store is quite pricey too.
Its because theyre middle of the road at middle of the road prices.

Theres a lack of options for clothing on the high street particularly for men.

The main options are Burton, Top Man which are terrible, River Island, and Next. Its the least worst option.

Then youve got the Marks and Spencer, John Lewis, which are more expensive and fairly conservative in style.

London might have lots of choice but for the bog standard high street in most towns and cities, and even retail parks, youre going to see the likes of Top Man, River Island and Next rather than Pull and Bear or Uniqlo.
mf121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: