search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #21
annie_himself

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
Depends on the measure, New Orleans has by far the #1 highest murder rate in the country, at 49.1! More than double that of Oakland.
Yes but violent crime rates aren't that bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durhamite View Post
Still can't quite get the humor with the 7/100,000 in Charlotte as rofl (700,000 people = 70 murders!)? Lost a close family member to a murder in NC....the sh*t ain't funny! If you've ever had to deal with one, the impact is devastating. Yes, Charlotte has it's fair share of crime and experiencing one break-in, stolen vehicle, etc. is one too many....again, the sh*t ain't funny.
I apologize but I wasn't talking about you personally. Every city has crime but I wouldn't call Charlotte dangerous. My cousin has had people run in his house and put guns in his face, lives in Charlotte.
annie_himself no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #22
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
In my life I've lived in Japan, Germany, Hungary, South Carolina, Virginia, all over North Carolina, and all over California. I've now lived in North Carolina 9 years, and I must say, North Carolina seems to be the only southern state that's gotten it's shit together.

The whole South is a hellhole, and outside of Raleigh, almost all major southern cities have disgusting crime rates. I'm grateful to live in Raleigh, I moved here 2 years ago from Fayetteville, and that place is no exception to what I've said. Also, its sad to see places like Charlotte that are so nice, yet have such horrible areas and high crime rates. The South needs a savior, glad to see its starting to get some attention.

To directly answer your question though, I think the areas that DON'T need too much help are Raleigh, Atlanta (except for crime), Nashville, Northern VA, Charleston, Charlotte (once again except for crime), Asheville, and literally that's all I can think of haha. Every other city is shit, I'm just glad I go back to Cali and North to NYC for well over half the year.

I will also say the worst areas that need tremendous amount of help are ALL of Alabama and Mississippi, basically every sizable city in Louisiana, just about every major city in Florida (in terms of developing some type of culture, and lowering crime and unemployment), and a lot of small towns in between the large cities, for instance High Point in NC is about as nice as Senegal.
You obviously don't know much about the MANY places in NC and the South that are beautiful, safe, interesting places to live. What an ignorant statement to make. You can't profess to have been everywhere, so you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe you could go back to wherever for the entire year and that would make you happy...God knows there is no crime in NYC or CA. LOL!

How much time did you spend in Senegal?
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #23
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR99 View Post
Atlanta and New Orleans are top 10 most dangerous cities in US, most of us already known what cause crime rates so high lol. All other southern cities are ok to live and raise a family.
Atlanta hasn't been in the top 10 for years...

You guys understand that, even in the highest crime cities, the areas where there is a high occurrence of crime are few and far between. Most areas of those cities are just fine and as safe as anywhere else. That's just common knowledge, but it seems like some people don't realize it.
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #24
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
You obviously don't know much about the MANY places in NC and the South that are beautiful, safe, interesting places to live. What an ignorant statement to make. You can't profess to have been everywhere, so you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe you could go back to wherever for the entire year and that would make you happy...God knows there is no crime in NYC or CA. LOL!

How much time did you spend in Senegal?
Yeah, you're right. Living in the South for nearly a decade disqualifies me from having any knowledge of the South...

Are you stupid, arrogant, or just blind? In San Diego, the murder rate is 2.0 per 100,000. In San Jose its the same. These are both cities with well over 1,000,000 people! There are no cities that large in the South, and if there were, you can bet the murder rate would be at least 6 per 100,000. Believe me, the only reason I'm here is for in-state tuition, the minute I graduate I'll be out of the South! I'm already trying to transfer to another school. Like I said, pretty much the only sizable southern cities with reasonable crime rates are Raleigh, at around 3.5, and Virginia Beach at around 3.

Just so you know btw, out of the top 10 cities with lowest murder rates (cities with over 250,000 people), 7 of the cities are in the west and 5 are in CA. Yeah, safety in the West isn't a myth.

And there are nice cities in the South, plenty of them. But safety is hard to come by. Also, I've visited every major city in the Carolinas, I know what I'm talking about! The ghetto of Charlotte isn't safe by any means.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #25
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 52859

I think we're better off just focusing this conversation on skylines. Crime rates are well known and the published data speaks for itself. Even some of the nicest places to live suffer from high crime rates. Albuquerque has a terrible crime rate but it's a fast growing sunbelt metro. I think the lack of smart policing has more to do with crime rates these days. New York's crime rate has dropped dramatically over the last 20 years due to smart policing. Cities like LA which have implemented many of those police procedures are reaping huge benefits. Those cities have learned that high crime rates aren't something you have to take for granted.

If cities like Little Rock were to get on board with proactive policing, their staggering crime rates would probably drop too. It's not just the culture out in the streets, it's the culture within the police force.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #26
annie_himself

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Living in the South for nearly a decade disqualifies me from having any knowledge of the South...

Are you stupid, arrogant, or just blind? In San Diego, the murder rate is 2.0 per 100,000. In San Jose its the same. These are both cities with well over 1,000,000 people! There are no cities that large in the South, and if there were, you can bet the murder rate would be at least 6 per 100,000. Believe me, the only reason I'm here is for in-state tuition, the minute I graduate I'll be out of the South! I'm already trying to transfer to another school. Like I said, pretty much the only sizable southern cities with reasonable crime rates are Raleigh, at around 3.5, and Virginia Beach at around 3.

Just so you know btw, out of the top 10 cities with lowest murder rates (cities with over 250,000 people), 7 of the cities are in the west and 5 are in CA. Yeah, safety in the West isn't a myth.

And there are nice cities in the South, plenty of them. But safety is hard to come by. Also, I've visited every major city in the Carolinas, I know what I'm talking about! The ghetto of Charlotte isn't safe by any means.
Safety is hard to come by?
Yes, I had to laugh at that one.
That is a very ignorant post. The ghettos of Charlotte are just as safe as the ghettos of San Diego..

Did the OP specify only skylines?
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #27
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:

No safety is not hard to come by. If you are as intelligent as you profess, you understand that even the most statistically dangerous city is not very dangerous in most areas and the majority of crime is confined to particular areas for the most part. Calling the entire city of Charlotte a ghetto and characterizing it as unsafe is just irresponsible. Let's be realistic here...and a bit more mature than resorting to name-calling.

No, living somewhere for 10 years doesn't make you an expert. You must be pretty young to have the limited views that you have. Sorry, but you are coming across that way.
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #28
royal rose1

Quote:
No safety is not hard to come by. If you are as intelligent as you profess, you understand that even the most statistically dangerous city is not very dangerous in most areas and the majority of crime is confined to particular areas for the most part. Calling the entire city of Charlotte a ghetto and characterizing it as unsafe is just irresponsible. Let's be realistic here...and a bit more mature than resorting to name-calling.

No, living somewhere for 10 years doesn't make you an expert. You must be pretty young to have the limited views that you have. Sorry, but you are coming across that way.
Please read over my post, I said "the ghetto of Charlotte." I'm actually a huge fan of Charlotte, I would never call the whole city "ghetto." Southern cities are overall far more dangerous than western cities, it's a known fact, please just look at any data and stop debating me. I'll say this, safe small cities aren't hard to come by. Is that good?

And just to show my point on a large scale, look at this map. The only two "black" states are in the South (not racially).
http://filipspagnoli.files.wordpress...s-assaults.jpg
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #29
nostyle

Likes (Received): 13

You are talking about "The South", as if you've lived everywhere. Living in a few select Southern cities doesn't mean you know jack about life in any other southern city, and looking at statistics doesn't give you first-hand experience either. That's why people are taking such offense to your statements about "the whole South" being a "hellhole".
nostyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #30
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 222

I suppose ignorance is bliss for royal rose.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #31
royal rose1

You guys do a great job pointing out observations, but so far not a single one of you has used statistics to back up your points... Why? because you're wrong. You're people who look the other way at negative comments about your home. You say "ignorance is bliss," the only ones being ignorant are you guys, because you have failed to see how the south is more dangerous than the rest of the US in general, its not bias, its fact.

Live in Fayetteville, NC a few years and see what I mean. I've lived in Norfolk, Fayetteville, Raleigh, Wilmington, and Beaufort, and somehow I don't know enough about the south to judge it? You Southerners are the most naive people.

The South has a lot going for it, but to not admit that the south is more dangerous, which has been proven over and over, is just plain ignorance.

Read this:
http://crimeclt.blogspot.com/2011/04...in-nation.html
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #32
annie_himself

Quote:
You guys do a great job pointing out observations, but so far not a single one of you has used statistics to back up your points... Why? because you're wrong. You're people who look the other way at negative comments about your home. You say "ignorance is bliss," the only ones being ignorant are you guys, because you have failed to see how the south is more dangerous than the rest of the US in general, its not bias, its fact.

Live in Fayetteville, NC a few years and see what I mean. I've lived in Norfolk, Fayetteville, Raleigh, Wilmington, and Beaufort, and somehow I don't know enough about the south to judge it? You Southerners are the most naive people.

The South has a lot going for it, but to not admit that the south is more dangerous, which has been proven over and over, is just plain ignorance.

Read this:
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #33
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostyle View Post
You are talking about "The South", as if you've lived everywhere. Living in a few select Southern cities doesn't mean you know jack about life in any other southern city, and looking at statistics doesn't give you first-hand experience either. That's why people are taking such offense to your statements about "the whole South" being a "hellhole".
He thinks he knows everything about everywhere. He's posting information about Atlanta in another thread and has already stated that he's never been there. It's kind of cute but kind of irritating in a way. It's an obvious sign of youth, and I guess we've all been there.
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #34
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:

Read this:
Sure dude, everyone else is wrong and you're right. You're funny.

You are generalizing everything and now you're stereotyping southerners, like we never get to leave our trailers. Get real.
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #35
royal rose1

Quote:
Sure dude, everyone else is wrong and you're right. You're funny.

You are generalizing everything and now you're stereotyping southerners, like we never get to leave our trailers. Get real.
Show me some f*cking statistics that prove me wrong and I'll shut up! there's one problem though, You can't! Stop rejecting reality in favor of your own pretenses!
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #36
drewdave

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Believe me, the only reason I'm here is for in-state tuition, the minute I graduate I'll be out of the South!
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, I guess? I'm from Raleigh (lived here my entire life), but there are many other "great" cities in NC/SC and the rest of the South. To think otherwise is ignorant beyond belief. You can't form judgments about places by statistics alone.
drewdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #37
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdave View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, I guess? I'm from Raleigh (lived here my entire life), but there are many other "great" cities in NC/SC and the rest of the South. To think otherwise is ignorant beyond belief. You can't form judgments about places by statistics alone.
I didn't say there weren't other great cities!
I love Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, Cary, Savannah, Parts of Norfolk, Charleston, very small parts of Florida, and I'm sure when I get to visiting New Orleans and Atlanta I'll like them too.

My only point is that the South is far too dangerous right now in too many of its major cities. The Midwest isn't far off, don't worry.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #38
simms3
Like an aged wine

Likes (Received): 47

While this thread is sooo stupid and I feel stupid just for posting on here, I can't help but point out that many California cities have seen their murder and violent crime rates DOUBLE in the past year due to budget cuts of police services because they are so cash strapped for a variety of reasons we don't need to get into (but they are obvious reasons).

Here are just some articles:

Stockton's homicide rate doubles last year's numbers
http://www.news10.net/rss/article/18...-years-numbers

San Jose homicide rate is the highest since 1980.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/...print&page=all

San Diego's violent crime rate remained low, and for a city its size murders are few and far between, BUT they went from 29 to 38 last year:
http://www.10news.com/news/30309634/detail.html

I originally heard about this in one of the national newspapers, which mainly discussed city and state budgets, so it wasn't hard for me spend the last 5 minutes Googling and posting local news articles.

A city with similar budget problems (and plenty of other problems:

Chicago Murder Rate up 35%, Police Chief Resigns
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1392494.html

Sorry to bust the California bubble, but some of the most dangerous hellholes in the world are in CA and everyone knows it. Oakland? Wonderful town but come on, everyone knows its dangerous. Richmond? Stockton? Englewood? South Central? I've even seen wonderful San Diego documented on Gangland; Lord knows San Francisco has been featured. And can't forget that beside the black gangs and the Asian gangs and the crazy Hispanic gangs that are created and grow in California, it's also a state filled with biker gangs, so all races are represented with crazy gangs in that state.

Don't bring the California is wonderful koolaid here, LoL.
simms3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #39
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3 View Post
While this thread is sooo stupid and I feel stupid just for posting on here, I can't help but point out that many California cities have seen their murder and violent crime rates DOUBLE in the past year due to budget cuts of police services because they are so cash strapped for a variety of reasons we don't need to get into (but they are obvious reasons).

Here are just some articles:

Stockton's homicide rate doubles last year's numbers
http://www.news10.net/rss/article/18...-years-numbers

San Jose homicide rate is the highest since 1980.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/...print&page=all

San Diego's violent crime rate remained low, and for a city its size murders are few and far between, BUT they went from 29 to 38 last year:
http://www.10news.com/news/30309634/detail.html

I originally heard about this in one of the national newspapers, which mainly discussed city and state budgets, so it wasn't hard for me spend the last 5 minutes Googling and posting local news articles.

A city with similar budget problems (and plenty of other problems:

Chicago Murder Rate up 35%, Police Chief Resigns
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1392494.html

Sorry to bust the California bubble, but some of the most dangerous hellholes in the world are in CA and everyone knows it. Oakland? Wonderful town but come on, everyone knows its dangerous. Richmond? Stockton? Englewood? South Central? I've even seen wonderful San Diego documented on Gangland; Lord knows San Francisco has been featured. And can't forget that beside the black gangs and the Asian gangs and the crazy Hispanic gangs that are created and grow in California, it's also a state filled with biker gangs, so all races are represented with crazy gangs in that state.

Don't bring the California is wonderful koolaid here, LoL.
California also has more people than North Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia combined. My point is that even Oakland, being the impoverished, gang-ridden hellhole that it is, has a murder rate of 22 per 100,000, well under New Orleans' 49.1, and comparable to Atlanta's 17.

Let's not mention impoverished cities anyway, or else I'll have to break out my Memphis and Miami info.

Fact is the South is more dangerous by almost any measure. And disproportionately so. Here is another site to prove it.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murd...ally-and-state

The South consistently rates above all other regions on that site.
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #40
Durhamite

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yes but violent crime rates aren't that bad.

I apologize but I wasn't talking about you personally. Every city has crime but I wouldn't call Charlotte dangerous. My cousin has had people run in his house and put guns in his face, lives in Charlotte.
Well, what's your point? Every city has dangerous and sketchy areas and to dismiss Charlotte's as meaningless is silly. I live in NC, Charlotte does have quite a bit of crime but no, it's no worse than Indianapolis, etc. Is Baton Rouge more dangerous than Charlotte?.....I don't think Baton Rouge is bad either. Here is a good website for crime info:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nc/charlotte/crime/
Durhamite no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia