search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #41
annie_himself

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durhamite View Post
Well, what's your point? Every city has dangerous and sketchy areas and to dismiss Charlotte's as meaningless is silly. I live in NC, Charlotte does have quite a bit of crime but no, it's no worse than Indianapolis, etc. Is Baton Rouge more dangerous than Charlotte?.....I don't think Baton Rouge is bad either. Here is a good website for crime info:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nc/charlotte/crime/
My point is in the text. Charlotte has crime but I wouldn't call it dangerous.
annie_himself no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #42
Durhamite

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
My point is in the text. Charlotte has crime but I wouldn't call it dangerous.
You practically described every city in the United States. "_____" city has crime but I wouldn't call it dangerous. Memphis, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Richmond, Durham, Jacksonville, etc have crime, but dangerous? No. Dangerous areas...sure.

Just tryin to ascertain what qualifies a city (in the south) as "dangerous" if 70+ murders a year doesn't make the cut.
Durhamite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #43
rickydavisfan21
McSAME and FAILIN

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostyle View Post
"We are the headquarters of research triangle park and somehow have a skyline that does not reflect that."

No, you have it backwards. Your skyline reflects EXACTLY that. Raleigh's central business district is RTP, not downtown Raleigh. So Raleigh's skyline is a reflection of a downtown that consists mostly of government buildings and a few corporate towers, but is underwhelming given the size of the metropolitan area. Also keep in mind that the Triangle is not centralized. Raleigh is not a well-defined core. It's a metropolitan area with, in essence, three major business centers...downtown Raleigh, downtown Durham, and RTP. Given these factors, it should be expected that Raleigh's skyline is what it is.
RTP is the succubus that keeps downtown raleigh from expanding. 22 million square feet of commercial space on 7,000 sq feet of land!!!! That is only 1 or 2 million square feet less than downtown charlotte.
Just to compare downtown raleigh only has 5,346,515 sq feet of leasable commercial real estate. (plus 5,680,445 government offices)
rickydavisfan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #44
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydavisfan21 View Post
RTP is the succubus that keeps downtown raleigh from expanding. 22 million square feet of commercial space on 7,000 sq feet of land!!!! That is only 1 or 2 million square feet less than downtown charlotte.
Just to compare downtown raleigh only has 5,346,515 sq feet of leasable commercial real estate. (plus 5,680,445 government offices)
I think you mean 7000 sq miles? But it does make sense. Only thing is most of RTP is, no surprise, research related. Those are operations that aren't usually done in downtowns, so why can't companies operate research facilities in RTP and have executive offices downtown?
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #45
spencer114

Likes (Received): 443

I think acres was the desired word.
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #46
drewdave

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
so why can't companies operate research facilities in RTP and have executive offices downtown?
$$$

I mean, can you imagine? That wouldn't be smart at all financially. Yes, there are a lot of research labs at RTP, and that's probably where they should be (or at Centennial Campus at NC State), but there are loads of office buildings there too that are doing nothing but promote urban sprawl. The Triangle is one of the worst offenders of sprawl.
drewdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #47
simms3
Like an aged wine

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
I think you mean 7000 sq miles? But it does make sense. Only thing is most of RTP is, no surprise, research related. Those are operations that aren't usually done in downtowns, so why can't companies operate research facilities in RTP and have executive offices downtown?
Interestingly enough, there are many parts of India that are similarly built and laid out as RTP. Not ironically, you will find many Indians working and travelling for business in RTP. Very tech and research oriented and laid out appropriately for such focus.

I do think if Raleigh were to incentivize more biotech research than it does, you would see more dense developments, not just around Duke/UNC, but also around downtown Raleigh near Wakemed and Rexview. Raleigh to me is the most suburban metro in the country, sadly. One can be a half mile from downtown and not even realize it. There aren't really any dense areas and forests line the plentiful highways right up into town. As NC grows, at least downtown Raleigh will grow with it (govt). I prefer Durham, but I know most in the area think outside of one stretch it is pretty ghetto. At least it has character and some good old bones.
simms3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #48
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I think acres was the desired word.
Sorry, that's what I meant to say. Obviously it wouldn't be square miles

That's like 12 New Yorks.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #49
rickydavisfan21
McSAME and FAILIN

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Yes, Yes, Acres. hahaha. Sorry. I have driven through RTP a million times and I could have never guessed there as 22 million sq feet of space. I feel like 7,000 acres with 22 million square feet of office/research space is the definition of Sprawl. I wish RTP had grown organically with some sort of urban fabric. The connectivity between companies is non existent and honestly it hampers the ability for these companies and research facilities to easily create partnerships between them.
rickydavisfan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #50
kingchef

Likes (Received): 4

question? several times i have seen posters from the north, northeast, and west post comments about crime being high in southeastern cities, because, primarily, they have major segments of black residents. i would like to know if, during the late 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's what kind of crime stats were available on the large number of blacks who fled the south for higher paying jobs, better living conditions, along w/ other opportunities. did crime increase significantly in these large areas such as chicago, detriot, pittsburgh, philly, cincinatti, and others.

what is relevant, to a large degree, is where does the crime occur, who are the participants, the victims, the circumstances. most of these questions can be answered by the standard "drug" culture. in miami, you see a good deal of hispanics, haitians, latinos, cubans, blacks, etc. as you move to the southwest, you see black, hispanic, and latino. same is true in l.a.

i recently saw a stat re: houston, in which the metro area was identified as 60 % hispanic. just wondering what the crime rate is among hispanics? so many people bashed memphis when 48 hours profiled memphis. over and over again, you saw the same scenario. i remember there was one episode where a first cousin killed his newly married first cousin and his wife and placed their bodies in the rafters of the house that was shared by the perp and the victims. the conclusion of the episode found the police in pursuit of the perp and his father in a high speed chase. it ended by the son confessing to the murders, and immediately shooting himself in the head. he died instantly. the father of the perp then shot himself, taking his life.

memphis took a great deal of ragging about being on the program. many from nashville had a great deal of disparaging remarks about memphis thugs, murder capital, etc, all the while trying to get attention off nashville and its consistent fbi ratings for the #2, #4, #7, #9, and # 7 and #4 twice. houston, dallas, miami, minneapolis, lousiville, little rock, cincinatti, and others were early appearances. of course, there was really enough gang crime and murder to go around. nashville got in on it, when a two hour special was completed on the browns, a mexican gang, which was destroying nashville's fairyland image.

this year, charlotte has been added to the list. the way it is presented seems to be more of an outlet to show as much of charlotte's skyline than the crime's themselves. neverthless, their now at the forefront. i guess people are not murdered in the northwest or western states, but we can't have everything.
kingchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #51
annie_himself

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
question? several times i have seen posters from the north, northeast, and west post comments about crime being high in southeastern cities, because, primarily, they have major segments of black residents. i would like to know if, during the late 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's what kind of crime stats were available on the large number of blacks who fled the south for higher paying jobs, better living conditions, along w/ other opportunities. did crime increase significantly in these large areas such as chicago, detriot, pittsburgh, philly, cincinatti, and others.

what is relevant, to a large degree, is where does the crime occur, who are the participants, the victims, the circumstances. most of these questions can be answered by the standard "drug" culture. in miami, you see a good deal of hispanics, haitians, latinos, cubans, blacks, etc. as you move to the southwest, you see black, hispanic, and latino. same is true in l.a.

i recently saw a stat re: houston, in which the metro area was identified as 60 % hispanic. just wondering what the crime rate is among hispanics? so many people bashed memphis when 48 hours profiled memphis. over and over again, you saw the same scenario. i remember there was one episode where a first cousin killed his newly married first cousin and his wife and placed their bodies in the rafters of the house that was shared by the perp and the victims. the conclusion of the episode found the police in pursuit of the perp and his father in a high speed chase. it ended by the son confessing to the murders, and immediately shooting himself in the head. he died instantly. the father of the perp then shot himself, taking his life.

memphis took a great deal of ragging about being on the program. many from nashville had a great deal of disparaging remarks about memphis thugs, murder capital, etc, all the while trying to get attention off nashville and its consistent fbi ratings for the #2, #4, #7, #9, and # 7 and #4 twice. houston, dallas, miami, minneapolis, lousiville, little rock, cincinatti, and others were early appearances. of course, there was really enough gang crime and murder to go around. nashville got in on it, when a two hour special was completed on the browns, a mexican gang, which was destroying nashville's fairyland image.

this year, charlotte has been added to the list. the way it is presented seems to be more of an outlet to show as much of charlotte's skyline than the crime's themselves. neverthless, their now at the forefront. i guess people are not murdered in the northwest or western states, but we can't have everything.
Just glad they haven't come to NO yet.
annie_himself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #52
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajohn_24 View Post
IMO I think Columbia, SC needs a lot of help. Eventhough it is a beautiful city, it's skyline is very scattered and needs a lot of filling in, and a few taller and iconic skyscrapers. As the capital of SC and in the middle of two major cities (Atlanta and Charlotte), it needs to represent more.
Columbia's skyline is pretty solid for a metro area close to 800,000:

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Columbia SC isn't really that big and much of the state's recent economic successes have been elsewhere.
That's starting to change. Michelin is expanding, an Amazon distribution center is ramping up and will eventually employ 1,200, a pharmaceutical facility will create 700 jobs, Aflac will add 400 jobs, and TD Bank is adding 200. Columbia has a more white-collar economy, but it's experienced an uptick in manufacturing lately.

Pan-Afro-Man liked this post
krazeeboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #53
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 522

^ you can hardly see the meridian tower (probably the best designed IMO) in that photo too.

anyway, this is a kind of stupid thread that only became stupider. Columbia's skyline is great for its size even if it is boxy.

what needs help skyline wise? Knoxville and Augusta come to mind; no new significant towers in a while. the Tri-Cities and smaller Virginia cities too (Roanoke, Lynchburg, etc...)

who needs help city management wise? Birmingham; Memphis; Augusta; Macon.

who needs a lot of help? Jackson.

San Diego is awesome and i'd probably give up a finger or two to move there and be comfortable, but it has its problems (too many surface lots).

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #54
kingchef

kreezeboi's photo of columbia, when i looked at it quickly, immediately reminded me of one of the stock metro scenes of memphis. i don't know what the length of the riverfront is in columbia, but in memphis, it is 5.5 miles from the blaufhaus neighborhood to just past the pyramid and the riverbend inn, on the north end. i didn't realize columbia was that large, but i do remember how nice the people are and how quiet and clean the city seems to be. memphis has a city proper population of about 684,000+, at this point, so columbia has really taken off in the last few years. i think it is a pretty photo. you don't seem to hear much about it, even though it is the state capital and the largest city in the state.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #55
kingchef

well, the "ham" has gotten langford out of office, and i think in to the state or federal court system. however, i don't understand, by any stretch of the imagination, how jefferson county and colburn (cullmen) county could be connected as part of an msa. a good deal of growth seems to be going on in the medical center, the convention center, and some residential highrises. hoover, mountain brook, homewood, enverness and most of shelby county, as well as vestavia hills and points south seems to be where most of the growth continues. as for management, it couldn't have gone anywhere but up.

memphis has rapidly recovered from the removal of herenton, although the same should probably be the fate of most of the city counsil. growth is pretty moderate to fairly brisk in the various buiness sectors. seems that so much is going on---north and south of the city limit lines. my prayer is that the idiot city school superintendent gets the job he desires in d.c., and we keep the county superintendent to operate this intended new school merger. both positions pay a total of $650,000 dollars a year. ridiculous. no one is worth that amount of money. city school system has 122,000 students that attend mcs's, out of 168,000 who are eligible to attend, but are in private schools or home schooled. county students enrolled equals 48,000+. no numbers for the home schooled or private students.

nevertheless, much is going on in mtown. i don't know about macon or agusta.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #56
JaguarReign

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Living in the South for nearly a decade disqualifies me from having any knowledge of the South...

Are you stupid, arrogant, or just blind? In San Diego, the murder rate is 2.0 per 100,000. In San Jose its the same. These are both cities with well over 1,000,000 people! There are no cities that large in the South, and if there were, you can bet the murder rate would be at least 6 per 100,000. Believe me, the only reason I'm here is for in-state tuition, the minute I graduate I'll be out of the South! I'm already trying to transfer to another school. Like I said, pretty much the only sizable southern cities with reasonable crime rates are Raleigh, at around 3.5, and Virginia Beach at around 3.

Just so you know btw, out of the top 10 cities with lowest murder rates (cities with over 250,000 people), 7 of the cities are in the west and 5 are in CA. Yeah, safety in the West isn't a myth.

And there are nice cities in the South, plenty of them. But safety is hard to come by. Also, I've visited every major city in the Carolinas, I know what I'm talking about! The ghetto of Charlotte isn't safe by any means.
It all depends on where you live. If you don't live in the ghetto or other violent places then you should be all right. Here in J-ville, if you don't want to get shot then you stay out of Springfield, Arlington, or parts of the Westside. There are places you stay out of to stay safe in every city and it is really easy to avoid them, it's called not driving, walking, or taking transportation into known dangerous areas. I am from Honolulu, HI, which is one of the safest cities in terms of violent crimes; however, you still need to stay away from certain areas of even Honolulu (i.e. Kahili, Moilili).
JaguarReign no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #57
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
You guys do a great job pointing out observations, but so far not a single one of you has used statistics to back up your points... Why? because you're wrong. You're people who look the other way at negative comments about your home. You say "ignorance is bliss," the only ones being ignorant are you guys, because you have failed to see how the south is more dangerous than the rest of the US in general, its not bias, its fact.

Live in Fayetteville, NC a few years and see what I mean. I've lived in Norfolk, Fayetteville, Raleigh, Wilmington, and Beaufort, and somehow I don't know enough about the south to judge it? You Southerners are the most naive people.

The South has a lot going for it, but to not admit that the south is more dangerous, which has been proven over and over, is just plain ignorance.

Read this:
http://crimeclt.blogspot.com/2011/04...in-nation.html
I come from a Military family that still lives in Fayetteville, NC...I don't know what part of Fayettevillle you lived at, but I have never, ever had any bad experiences with crime. After graduating from High School - moved to Durham, NC for College (Duke U) and after graduating from Duke I worked for a Surgical company in RTP while living in Morrisville, NC outside of Raleigh. Now I live in Miami, FL (going to 6 yrs) never - ever had any bad experiences here in Miami. Is just where you live, where you go and I guess who you hang with.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #58
miami305

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
^ you can hardly see the meridian tower (probably the best designed IMO) in that photo too.

anyway, this is a kind of stupid thread that only became stupider. Columbia's skyline is great for its size even if it is boxy.

what needs help skyline wise? Knoxville and Augusta come to mind; no new significant towers in a while. the Tri-Cities and smaller Virginia cities too (Roanoke, Lynchburg, etc...)

who needs help city management wise? Birmingham; Memphis; Augusta; Macon.

who needs a lot of help? Jackson.

San Diego is awesome and i'd probably give up a finger or two to move there and be comfortable, but it has its problems (too many surface lots).

-
San Diego is ok....but is too close to MX. I do not like states that border MX.

Old May 10th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #59
miami305

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarReign View Post
It all depends on where you live. If you don't live in the ghetto or other violent places then you should be all right. Here in J-ville, if you don't want to get shot then you stay out of Springfield, Arlington, or parts of the Westside. There are places you stay out of to stay safe in every city and it is really easy to avoid them, it's called not driving, walking, or taking transportation into known dangerous areas. I am from Honolulu, HI, which is one of the safest cities in terms of violent crimes; however, you still need to stay away from certain areas of even Honolulu (i.e. Kahili, Moilili).
Right on man...hit the nail. Stay away from the guetto people....common sense.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:38 AM   #60
urbansouth

Likes (Received): 6

I have no idea what Memphis is like, except that my neighbor spent the last year working there and hated it. Perhaps it could be the major southern city that needs the most help.
I'm glad to see people from outside the area saying Birmingham. I'm actually really happy with the current leadership and I'm surprised at how well they've managed to steer their projects despite some backwards opposition.
The main thing Birmingham needs right now is just people and investment in the downtown core (we have some coming nicely, but more is always good). I feel like population growth would be handled quite well, but the people in the MSA say they don't want growth because they "don't want Atlanta's problems," as if we can just add thousands of crooks and thieves overnight. A BHM-ATL HRS corridor can't come soon enough so that these people can actually see Atlanta for themselves and that it's a great place. Birmingham is just a smaller, more boring Atlanta anyway.
We just generally need population growth. I get the impression that Memphis and its MSA have some deeper turmoils but I don't know what those would be.
The short answer is that Birmingham and Memphis are probably the major southern cities which need the most help, Birmingham would probably make the most of any help it received. The Birmingham area's always been a fantastic place to live and I love the people, but our urban core is lacking.

On a sidenote, royalrose's comments clearly aren't constructive, I don't know why someone would bother with them.
urbansouth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia