daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: How many skylines does your city have.
1 skyline (normal) 48 21.62%
2 skyline's (bi-normal) 34 15.32%
3 skyline's (not natural) 39 17.57%
4 skyline's (Something is wrong) 18 8.11%
5 skyline's (HOW DID YOU DO THAT) 17 7.66%
6 skyline's (Can't believe it) 14 6.31%
7 skylines (DAMN) 41 18.47%
NO SKYLINE. 21 9.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #121
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

This thread is basically the thread where everybody tries to say their city is Houston.

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #122
Infoman
/BMOREBOY

Likes (Received): 312

Or for me every city is Baltimore/Washington. Ill give houston it's props it does have a big skyline though.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #123
SRG

It has several impressive skylines, more than any other place. My personal favorite of the Houston skylines, the Texas Medical Center:

________
Galleria

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

________
Downtown

_______
Greenway Plaza

_______
Galveston Island

_______
Sharpstown

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

_______
Museum District

image hosted on flickr

_______
Greenspoint

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

_______
The Woodlands

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

_______
Westchase

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Don't forget that Houston is the economic engine of the South and no other city in the South comes even close to comparing..

Last edited by SRG; October 10th, 2008 at 12:27 AM.
SRG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #124
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Don't forget that Houston is the economic engine of the South and no other city in the South comes even close to comparing..
There are a few cities in the South that compare well with Houston...I'm not sure why you would make such a false and unsupported statement.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #125
SRG

I don't know about unsupported. It took forever to track down some of those pics. Especially pics of Westchase..and it's anything but false. Atlanta doesn't even have a drop of oil, shipping, or chemical presence. In terms of urbanity? Atlanta's urban inner city is smaller than Houston's, but the two's sprawl is about equal. Atlanta's airport is busier, but Houston has two main airports, and Bush Intercontinental Airport is almost just as busy as Atlanta.

Houston is far more international than any city in the South, or the nation for that matter. In fact more languages are spoken in Houston than any other US city and there are several embassies in Houston. The city's corporate climate has significant ties to everywhere on the planet, especially Saudi Arabia and Israel.

Houstonians are one of the cities that have a team in every single pro league, and the Astros and Rockets are actually pretty good (Go 'Stros). There are also more performing theaters per capita in Houston than in any other city, including NYC. Houston also has anyone else in the South beat for art museums, with the Houston MOFA, the Menil, the Blaffer Art Museum, the Contemporary Arts Museum, Art Car Museum, Lawndale Art Center, the Moody, and so many more smaller neighborhood art galleries. Plus the beaches of Galveston, the Kemah Boardwalk, and Clear Lake are all in the Houston area.

How can you argue against a city that has Atlanta and anyone else beat for everything, including urban surroundings and a beach.. trust me, Houston is far superior in every way to Atlanta. And the Braves suck.

Last edited by SRG; October 9th, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #126
mo1217

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
I don't know about unsupported. It took forever to track down some of those pics. Especially pics of Westchase..and it's anything but false. Atlanta doesn't even have a drop of oil, shipping, or chemical presence. In terms of urbanity? Atlanta's urban inner city is smaller than Houston's, but the two's sprawl is about equal. Atlanta's airport is busier, but Houston has two main airports, and Bush Intercontinental Airport is almost just as busy as Atlanta.

Houston is far more international than any city in the South, or the nation for that matter. In fact more languages are spoken in Houston than any other US city and there are several embassies in Houston. The city's corporate climate has significant ties to everywhere on the planet, especially Saudi Arabia and Israel.

Houstonians are one of the cities that have a team in every single pro league, and the Astros and Rockets are actually pretty good (Go 'Stros). There are also more performing theaters per capita in Houston than in any other city, including NYC. Houston also has anyone else in the South beat for art museums, with the Houston MOFA, the Menil, the Blaffer Art Museum, the Contemporary Arts Museum, Art Car Museum, Lawndale Art Center, the Moody, and so many more smaller neighborhood art galleries. Plus the beaches of Galveston, the Kemah Boardwalk, and Clear Lake are all in the Houston area.

How can you argue against a city that has Atlanta and anyone else beat for everything, including urban surroundings and a beach.. trust me, Houston is far superior in every way to Atlanta. And the Braves suck.
Wow, Houston is not the economic engine of the south. The south has many engines {cities}that play an integral part of the economy.Many posters from outside the south enjoy putting down Houston as well as Atlanta and really have no idea that these are two great cities in their own right...Houston has been at it a little longer than Atlanta so it's only normal/natural that they are ahead in some respects.On these forums we like to compare & compete city vs city. Why can't we enjoy the growth and development of each one of our great southern cities without getting into childish rants about what mine has and yours does'nt.
I'm a transplant from Seattle via Reno living in Atlanta and loving it. Visited Houston on several occasions and enjoyed it.Each city has its pluses and I want get into there minuses because both are working on those aspects to make each better. I must say being from the northwest I am soooo impressed with the different cities of the south Miami, Savannah, New Orleans, Charleston, Dallas[reminds me of Atlanta;Atl has more trees/greenery]Charlotte, Tampa and the list goes on.
After stints in other regions of the country it is refreshing to be involved in and contributing to make this, my city a better place. My city vs your city or the city you prefer is pointless.Be the bigger person and look at the larger picture.

"TOMORROW IS NEVER PROMISED SO LIVE EACH DAY WITH A VIBRANCY, A SENSE OF RESPECT FOR SELF AND FELLOW MAN/WOMAN,AND DEDICATION AND ZEAL TO MAKE YOUR WORLD A BETTER PLACE."
MO1217
mo1217 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #127
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:

That is one idiotic post...I wasn't comparing Atlanta to Houston, but Houston isn't THE economic engine of anything - not the South, not even Texas. It's pathetic that you so desperately try to argue...with yourself.
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #128
lokinyc
chek ur hed

Likes (Received): 3

Gross, that Houston rant just made me sick to my stomach, especially being a New Yorker. This person needs to travel more. Houston is loathed by the majority of people in this country, for a variety of reasons and trying to compare Houston to NYC in any category is straight-jacket-requiring. Why is this crazy Calgarian so into Houston anyway?

Last edited by lokinyc; October 9th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
lokinyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #129
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1217 View Post
Wow, Houston is not the economic engine of the south. The south has many engines {cities}that play an integral part of the economy.Many posters from outside the south enjoy putting down Houston as well as Atlanta and really have no idea that these are two great cities in their own right...Houston has been at it a little longer than Atlanta so it's only normal/natural that they are ahead in some respects.On these forums we like to compare & compete city vs city. Why can't we enjoy the growth and development of each one of our great southern cities without getting into childish rants about what mine has and yours does'nt.
I'm a transplant from Seattle via Reno living in Atlanta and loving it. Visited Houston on several occasions and enjoyed it.Each city has its pluses and I want get into there minuses because both are working on those aspects to make each better. I must say being from the northwest I am soooo impressed with the different cities of the south Miami, Savannah, New Orleans, Charleston, Dallas[reminds me of Atlanta;Atl has more trees/greenery]Charlotte, Tampa and the list goes on.
After stints in other regions of the country it is refreshing to be involved in and contributing to make this, my city a better place. My city vs your city or the city you prefer is pointless.Be the bigger person and look at the larger picture.
I agree with you for the most part, but Houston hasn't been "at it" longer than Atlanta. Both cities were incorporated in 1837, and Atlanta actually grew faster than Houston until around 1930:

Houston Historical Population
1890 27,557
1900 44,633
1910 78,800
1920 138,276
*1930 292,352
1940 384,514
1950 596,163
1960 938,219

Atlanta Historical Population
1890 65,533
1900 89,872
1910 154,839
1920 200,616
*1930 270,366
1940 302,288
1950 331,314
1960 487,455

Atlanta's population began to decline for about 20 years after 1970, and only recently surpassed its peak 1970 population by gaining 125,000 residents since 1990. Atlanta hasn't grown significantly through annexation since Buckhead was annexed in 1952...and Atlanta remains at 132 square miles.

Houston was able to continue its population growth through aggressive annexation into the 1990s, increasing in area to 600 square miles. This has been the main reason for the city of Houston's continued population boom while Atlanta and most other cities stagnated and declined in the 1960s and 1970s.
(source: Houston Annexation Historical Timeline, http://home.earthlink.net/~phunter70...20TIMELINE.htm)
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #130
maceo9903

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokinyc View Post
Gross, that Houston rant just made me sick to my stomach, especially being a New Yorker. This person needs to travel more. Houston is loathed by the majority of people in this country, for a variety of reasons and trying to compare Houston to NYC in any category is straight-jacket-requiring. Why is this crazy Calgarian so into Houston anyway?
Im a born and raised Houstonian and I will say that SRG's post was a little over the top (especially trying to compare our airports to Atlanta's. Hartsfield still DOUBLES IAH and Hobby COMBINED). However, I don't think he compared Houston to Nyc. He just pointed out that more languages are spoken here (which I didn't know and if it's true that IS quite remarkable) and that there are more preforming arts here PER CAPITA than anywhere else (which SHOULD kill the stereotype that there is no culture here). As has already been pointed out there are many "economic engines" in the south with the "big 4" (if you will) being Houston, Dallas,Atlanta and Miami. What order you put them in is up to you but I beleive they are all important in different ways but none surpass the other when you stack them all up. They are different but equal. Lastly, people loathe every city. What I mean is everyone has a place they can't stand. For me it happens to be the Norhteast. Baltimore on up to Boston (especially NYC and Boston) just flat out make me sick. But you say most people in this country loathe Houston (and this is true). From an outsiders POV, why is that? I just dont understand what the city has done to get the type of pure hatred we receive from the rest of the country.

Last edited by maceo9903; October 9th, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
maceo9903 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #131
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoman View Post
NO I IM NOT PLAYING AROUND, I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE SAYING WHAT I SAID AND DIDNT SAY, im crazy, sike im just playing what you doing down here in the SOUTH?

Duh, I'm from the South dude. 6 years in SE Virginia (Hampton Roads)
and 7 years in Jacksonville, FL. I now live in B'more area.

Last edited by hpal3; October 10th, 2008 at 12:35 AM.
hpal3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #132
lancetop

Likes (Received): 173

"skylines" does NOT have an apostrophe.

"skyline's" in that context is incorrect. Please take English 101.
lancetop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #133
portyhead

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maceo9903 View Post
As has already been pointed out there are many "economic engines" in the south with the "big 4" (if you will) being Houston, Dallas,Atlanta and Miami. What order you put them in is up to you but I beleive they are all important in different ways but none surpass the other when you stack them all up. They are different but equal.
You hit the nail on the head.
portyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #134
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4014

Quote:

I take issue with your statement "in the nation". En regards to international are you talking about the latino population only? When you use the word international, Washington DC and NY City have way more "international"
within there population base than that of Houston. Don't get me wrong
here, I'm not saying that Houston doesn't have a large international presence, just not #1.

Races in Houston:

Hispanic (37.4%)
White Non-Hispanic (30.8%)
Black (25.3%)
Other race (16.5%)
Two or more races (3.1%)
Vietnamese (1.7%)
Chinese (1.2%)
Asian Indian (1.0%)

Races in New York:

White Non-Hispanic (35.0%)
Hispanic (27.0%)
Black (26.6%)
Other race (13.4%)
Two or more races (4.9%)
Chinese (4.5%)
Asian Indian (2.1%)
American Indian (1.1%)
Korean (1.1%)
Other Asian (1.0%)
Filipino (0.7%)
hpal3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #135
houstonskyscraper
houston skyscraper lover

Likes (Received): 0

Houston is one of a kind, every city is different and people just say that their city is better, so am I.
im not gonna explain anything about HOuston, Just watch this videos and you will see what HOuston is all about,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7im9ndoTEJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s056tSc0zz8
houstonskyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #136
SRG

The point I was making is that it's pretty clear Houston bests Atlanta and Dallas while Miami is just down there by itself. The facts I pointed out counter all of the blatantly wrong stereotypes that Houston is suburban, redneckish, no culture, flat, oil-dominated, and boring. It's obvious why people hate Houston and it has nothing to do with the wrong stereotypes: people who hate big hectic cities were the first to hate Houston with a passion, and everyone else began to follow their lead. What people hate about Houston is the traffic, the immensity, the lack of planning, and the humidity. But I think that despite the personal attacks (which don't make any point) my point is still in tact that Houston is the leader among the South's big cities.

I can back up my claim that more languages are spoken in Houston than any other US city.

"It’s a nationwide concern, especially in diverse cities like Houston. In HISD alone, there are more than 100 “first” languages spoken and 26 percent of its 208,000 students are bilingual.." That number is actually 165 according to Kiplinger.com. Nowhere near London, which leads the World at about 300, but it certainly leads the US. This is why Houston has more consulates than either LA or Chicago (and twice Atlanta's number, 4 times that of Dallas).
http://www.advancement.uh.edu/magazi...ges/better.htm

I knew I forgot something, which was, all of the universities (including Rice) and to mention that Houston features the most impressive medical sector in the country, too. All of these impressive things about Houston contribute to the built urban environment, which is one of the reasons why people are so impressed by Houston's dozen or so skylines.

Last edited by SRG; October 10th, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #137
Infoman
/BMOREBOY

Nice video havent seen the second one yet.
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #138
portyhead

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
The point I was making is that it's pretty clear Houston bests Atlanta and Dallas while Miami is just down there by itself.
Again it is not clear that Houston bests Atlanta and Dallas. In your opinion maybe, but in the eyes of many other people, no. The city population is larger than both of these cities so of course there will be more commerce, but still that hasn't proven much. I still see these cities as being neck and neck, not Houston being the clear and prominent premeire city of the south. Sorry, but it shares that title.
portyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #139
SRG

That's your opinion.
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #140
Infoman
/BMOREBOY

Houston is not the leader of the south, to me there is 5 leaders to the south:
Charlotte-2nd largest Banking area
Atlanta-Unknown, I always wondered why did it start booming for
Dallas-um...there are a lot of HQ's, and it's a big time research area
Miami-Major tourism area, with lot's of big fashion companies, and etc.
HOUSTON-the city where all of the thing's above are, I mean Houston doesnt have a very large tourism chain like Miami does, but it may come in 2nd or 3rd in the south for tourism, it has the most HQ's in the south, it is a world banking center where a lot of bank's have some kind of opperation at, and it may have the most skyscraper's in the south so I mean, Houston has everything, but each of the cities above does have a larger base on something, but Houston glue's them all together.