SkyscraperCity Forum banner

London 2012 - Skybar and News

998K views 6K replies 418 participants last post by  hugodiekonig 
#1 ·
Seeing as the other thread has gone...

The next 100 days - hitting the ground running

London 2012 Chairman Sebastian Coe has revealed the next steps as the capital begins planning for the the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

The double Olympic champion confirmed that he will take up the role of Chairman of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (LOCOG) and said that the first LOCOC board meeting will take place before the end of the month.

"The last few days has been an emotional period for London and for the whole of the country," Lord Coe told a press conference in Canary Wharf.

"The tragic events of 7 July have affected us all but have also made Londoners and the bid team ever more resilient, determined and united to deliver the best Games ever.

"Nine days into our life as a Host City, we have moved into a different phase delivering a complex multi-faceted project."

The bid leader pledged that work on the London Games would begin immediately and outlined the structure of the LOCOG team.

London 2012 Chief Executive Keith Mills will become Deputy Chairman of LOCOG, and a new Chief Executive will be recruited over the coming months.

And a transition team of approximately 50 people has already been put in place to ensure key priorities are addressed while LOCOG is established.

An Olympic Bill has already been introduced to Parliament, and Olympic Lottery Scratchcards, which will play a key role in funding the 2012 Games, will go on sale within weeks.

The bid leader also reiterated the vision for the Games that London outlined to the International Olympic Committee in Singapore.

"Our plans are about more than just bricks and mortar or financial packages," he said.

"We set out a vision in Singapore and we are now calling on all relevant agencies in the UK to work with us to deliver it.

"This is about inspiring more young people to become involved in sport and giving the young athletes the help they need to become champions of the future."

In the wake of the London terrorist bombings, Lord Coe also addressed the issue of security for the 2012 Games.

He stressed the key role security experts had played in London's bid and said that creating a new Olympic Park would mean secuity measures would be 'designed in' from day one.

Lord Coe also outlined plans for a Cabinet-level Olympic Security Committee, which would be Chaired by the Home Secretary and would include senior representatives from the security services.

15 July 2005

See less See more
#5,521 ·
Hearing rumours that the Olympics have broken even? Sounds a little far fetched. Can someone shed light on this? I can't find anything on it.
Blimey. I wonder if the doomsayers are feeling rather foolish. Team GB has won the olympics. And it's tremendous that it's excited debate about kids exercising, 40% of children don't do regular exercise. Shocking. Legacy should mean more than just improving East London.

#5,528 ·
Still be sad to see flame go out :yes:

We have got the Paralympic's to come and Glasgow 2014! :cheers:

Sadly this part of the forum will be a dead zone - we need new QE2 park thread,to show work on new park :|
Yes for sure could it go in the London main forum as the QE2 park thread. Stadium transformation, village transformation and aquatics and velopark.

Hard to think its been 5 or so years on here.

#5,530 ·
Congratulations to Mexico aka "El Tri" for defeating Brazil to gain the Olympic Gold Medal in Soccer(Futbol)!!!

Mexico's players pose with their gold medals during the podium ceremony after the football match against Brazil at the London Olympic Games on August 11, 2012 at the Wembley stadium in London. AFP PHOTO / LUIS ACOSTA (Photo credit should read LUIS ACOSTA/AFP/GettyImages)
Fastest goal ever in an Olympic final helps Mexico to first soccer gold | Fourth-Place Medal - Yahoo! Sports

Heavily favored Brazil once again suffered an unexpected defeat in the Olympic men's soccer final as Mexico took its first gold medal in the sport. Mexico proved to be the sharper side from the very beginning of the match, stunning Brazil with the fastest goal ever in an Olympic soccer final 29 seconds into the match on the way to a 2-1 win.

A careless short pass from Brazil defender Rafael led to the quick goal for Oribe Peralta to give Mexico an instant lead. The only other player to score in the first minute of an Olympic football final was Milan Galic for Yugoslavia's gold-medal winners in 1960.

Though Brazil controlled possession for much of the game following that opening goal, Mexico looked sharp and dangerous in the counter attack while 31-year-old captain and goalkeeper Jose Corona made a number of big saves. Brazil's desperation set in early as it subbed on Hulk just 30 minutes into the game and eventually added Pato and Lucas later on. But even with all that talent, Brazil struggled to get meaningful shots off.

Peralta made up for the absence of injured leading goal scorer Gio Dos Santos by adding a second goal in the 75th minute to give Mexico a 2-0 and all but seal the game. Brazil would provide a bit of a fightback very late on when Hulk finally scored in added time and Oscar missed with a header right in front of goal before the final whistle.

So Brazil's Olympic curse continues as they now have three silver medals and two bronze yet still no gold in soccer. For Mexico, this is not only the first gold in football, but first gold medal of any kind. There's no doubt this is a golden generation for Mexico that's on the rise.

#5,534 ·
Really looking forward to the party, but devastated that the games are coming to a close. It has been an amazing spectacle, I am so proud of what they produced and how it was received by our nation. It will be a very emotional but hopefully fitting ending to the games.

Needless to say, I have every hope in the legacy of the 2012 games. Only just have I been upstairs to open the bedroom windows, and seen that in the back gardens of neighbouring houses, there are kids playing their own Olympic games! There are a load of kids next door who have set up make shift hurdles and a long jump lane, there are kids in a cul-de-sac doing races up and down the street, some riding around on their bikes. It may only last for a few days or weeks before it is all forgotten, but for the time being it is amazing to see all those years of work and dedication releasing its potential.

#5,540 ·
It seems such a long time ago when Wiggo won his time trial with all the gold medals that have since passed.

I am very happy that the games have been such a success, overall and for GB but sad that I don't know when the olympics will next arrive on these shores.

I spent a few days in London watching the Olympics and the only fault I had was the queue for the water fountains at a couple of venues. It shows what a good job every person involved has done. It was the best few days I have had in a long time, with the fantastic atmosphere, brilliant sport and I got to see a British gold medal won and felt so proud singing the national anthem.

Some people on here may not like some of architecture but the Olympics is so much more than that. I have been inspired and will go going for a run later this evening.

We did it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.