search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2016, 08:19 AM   #401
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 12246

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Seems like Argentina has made its own compromise....

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #402
prp002

Likes (Received): 785

White in Australia

prp002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #403
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 75

So, the odd Australian practice of placing bike lanes on the shoulders of multilane highways has not ended. No wonder helmets are mandatory by law....
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #404
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 654

crazy eh? I can't think of any other developed country where they do this on busy urban motorways. New South Wales would be the worst culprit. Quite a bizar practice in any case.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 04:40 AM   #405
prp002

Quote:
So, the odd Australian practice of placing bike lanes on the shoulders of multilane highways has not ended. No wonder helmets are mandatory by law....
The helmet law allows us to put the lanes there. You may also be amused that our gun laws enacted 20 years ago put a stop to mass shootings
Old April 11th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #406
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 12246

Brazil

Yellow and White

Old April 11th, 2016, 07:18 AM   #407
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 704

Quote:
Yellow vs white road paint is not the most important safety feature, but I indeed believe there is a difference in visibility in winter. In winter time, highly trafficated roads, where center lines are most important, more often than not are only partially covered by snow, and then, as Glenn's excellent post earlier indicated , yellow lines are more visible than white. Reflective side posts are helpful to keep you on the road, but does not prevent head-on crashes which is the most serious type of accident on medium trafficated two-way non-separated roads.
Absolutely. Also, I've been in situations - say an undivided U.S. highway in a rural area early in a snowstorm on a Sunday evening (so it's normally a heavily traveled road but at that moment you've got it to yourself) - where it's helpful to know that that line to your left is the center line, not the far side of the road.

You may very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #408
KIWIKAAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by prp002 View Post
The helmet law allows us to put the lanes there. You may also be amused that our gun laws enacted 20 years ago put a stop to mass shootings
This makes no sense.
Allowing bicycles on quieter rural motorways or expresways with a lower traffic volume, although uncomon in the world, is understandable.
Allowing cyclists on busy urban motorways is just plain stupid policy. The emergency stopping shoulder is just that, not a cycle lane.
A cycle helmet is not going to be of much use when colliding with a car or heavy vehicle travelling at 80-110kph.

mw123 liked this post
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #409
prp002

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
This makes no sense.
Allowing bicycles on quieter rural motorways or expresways with a lower traffic volume, although uncomon in the world, is understandable.
Allowing cyclists on busy urban motorways is just plain stupid policy. The emergency stopping shoulder is just that, not a cycle lane.
A cycle helmet is not going to be of much use when colliding with a car or heavy vehicle travelling at 80-110kph.
It makes perfect sense. Cars do not hit the cyclists, otherwise the lanes would not be there. Perhaps in your country cyclists are targets for drivers

What IS stupid policy is the unlimited speed limits on German motorways. How is that safe?
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #410
KIWIKAAS

Quote:
It makes perfect sense. Cars do not hit the cyclists, otherwise the lanes would not be there. Perhaps in your country cyclists are targets for drivers

What IS stupid policy is the unlimited speed limits on German motorways. How is that safe?

And considering the extremely low volumes of cyclists on motorways in Sydney, it would appear the risk of injury or death is relaively high....
Old April 11th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #411
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:

My comments came from my experience as a daily cyclist and car owner in Sydney about 16 years ago, where I was truly shocked to see this practice. I cannot talk for the the Kiwis, but I certainly feel a lot safer biking in Norway, even during winter, than in Sydney. I always use helmet, but as noted by KIWIKAAS, a helmet won't help you much if hit by a car on a motorway. Germany btw has far fewer road accidents per capita than Australia.

Although there were a few oddities in Australian traffic, I had a truly great year in Australia. In particular, I made som very good friends down under!

KIWIKAAS liked this post
Old April 11th, 2016, 04:10 PM   #412
KIWIKAAS

I live in the Netherlands, but the situation in NZ is nearly as bad as Australia, although they don't allow cyclists on busy urban motorways there (as is the case nearly everywhere on the globe).
Here is a good article by an experienced cyclist on Sydney's motorway cycle lanes:
https://idonotdespair.com/2014/07/03...or-extremists/
Old April 11th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #413
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 414

Is it much better with these sidewalks on expressways seen in Norway? (They are planning to remove them all eventually)

(Not off-topic - look this is the old standard with white lines.)
Old April 11th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #414
54°26′S 3°24′E

A bit better as these are normal sidewalks separated from the road by a curb and not meant for high speed cycling, but certainly not ideal and hopefully soon removed. As far as I know, only Oslo has a few of these for some reason?

I will have to take a picture of yellow bike path paint one of these days ;-)

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; April 12th, 2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old April 12th, 2016, 12:53 AM   #415
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 610

Quote:
Because people aren't morons and are able to determine on their own what speeds are safe?

Sentilj liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 08:00 PM   #416
Highway89

Likes (Received): 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think it is better to have a different color signaling divide between opposing lane travel. I prefer Norway scheme therefore.

Bear in mind, however, that in Europe there are far less wide multi-lane roads where you are allowed to cross the central line. Turning lanes (aka "suicide lanes") that accept traffic from both directions are uncommon, and sometimes they are painted with (white) zebras.

If I remember it correctly, in Spain it is fairly common to paint a direction of travel arrow on 2+1 roads.
I completely agree with you.

The only problem I see is that we should change the colour we use (in Spain at least) for roadworks from yellow to orange to avoid confusion.

Another difference regarding road marking is broken vs. solid outer lines. On motorways, France, Spain, Algeria and Morocco seem to be the only countries that use long dashed lines. On non-motorways, I think Sweden also uses dotted or dashed lines.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #417
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
As far as I know, only Oslo has a few of these for some reason?
I think the reason is that these urban expressways are so old (1960s) that no-one really considered it a problem - the current Ring 3 was built with several intersections with traffic lights. Back then in the rest of the country, no-one considered building multi-lane urban expressways at all...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #418
mw123

Likes (Received): 2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
And considering the extremely low volumes of cyclists on motorways in Sydney, it would appear the risk of injury or death is relaively high....
I agree entirely with what you've said here. I rarely see people cycle on those shoulder lanes and when I have, everyone invariably comments about how stupid and dangerous it looks.

KIWIKAAS liked this post
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #419
54°26′S 3°24′E

Shared bike /pedestrian paths are still most common in Norway. The solution does not work very well in urban areas, especially since there are often also driveways and cracks and potholes in the asphalt. No paint is used on these shared paths. However, things have slowly been improving over the last 10 years, and some of the major routes have now dedicated bike lanes or paths. Slightly on thread topic, many of these newer paths have lanes indicated using the same color scheme as ordinary roads. In addition, red tarmac is sometimes applied on the bike lanes to set them apart.
Old April 16th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #420
LegendMeadow

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
only Oslo has a few of these for some reason?
We have them in Bodø.
LegendMeadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote