search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る

Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る Mass transit, Urban issues, Architecture etc / 公共交通機、都市問題、建築など

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 805 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 5th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #3081
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 525

Good old Randen! I used to cycle across its tracks on Nishioji dori every day. Getting all natsukashi here!

Sr.Horn liked this post
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #3082
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

JR East will introduce the alphanumeric system on 276 stations in Tokyo area

East Japan Railway announced on April 6th the implementation of the alphanumeric station code system by 2020. Also a three letters code for major stations in Tokyo metropolitan area.

Chinese and Korean will be incorporated in all the station names and signals.

Changes on signals will start next 1st of October.

JT - Tokaido Line
JO - Yokosuka Line
JK - Keihin-Tohoku Line
JH - Yokohama Line
JN - Nambu Line
JI - Tsurumi Line
JY - Yamanote Line
JC - Chuo (Rapid) Line
JB - Chuo-Sobu Line
JU - Utsunomiya Line
JA - Saikyo Line
JJ - Joban Line
JL - Joban Line (Local)
JE - Keiyo Line
JM - Musashino Line
JS - Shonan-Shinjuku Line

TYO- Tokyo
KND- Kanda
AKB - Akihabara
UEN - Ueno
NPR - Nippori
IKB - Ikebukuro
SJK - Shinjuku
SBY - Shibuya
EBS - Ebisu
OSK - Osaki
SGW - Shinagawa
HMC - Hamamatsucho
ABN - Akabane
URW - Urawa
OMY - Omiya
OFN - Ofuna
TTK - Totsuka
YHM - Yokohama
MKG - Musashi-Kosugi
KWS - Kawasaki

More details: http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/20160402.pdf

pudgym29 liked this post

Last edited by Sr.Horn; April 7th, 2016 at 07:38 PM.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #3083
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New Sanyō 6000 series

Today Sanyō Electric Railway presented its new electric multiple unit, the 6000 series made by Kawasaki Heavy Industries. The train will enter in service next 17 of April on the main line between Akashi and Sanyo-Himeji.

Quote:

Source: http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/04/13/449/

Svartmetall, emyrr3096, Bkmn liked this post
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:27 AM   #3084
RyukyuRhymer
モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 2427

speaking of Okinawa

http://www.okinawatimes.co.jp/article.php?id=165506

Yui Rail in Okinawa received new trains.
These feature multi-lingual displays inside the car (korean, english, chinese, japanese)
Better spacing for entry and exit
capacity changed from 82 to 85

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boy David, car_CCS liked this post
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #3085
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New trough-service on Fukui-Echizen tramway

Coinciding with the timetable revision of March 26, through services between the Fukubu Line operated by Fukui Railway and Mikuni Arawa Line (Echizen) began. This is possible with the new connection at Tawaramachi station, which has recently been refurbished.

Station surroundings:

Cab view from Sekijujimae to WashizukaHaribara

The whole trip is a mixture of urban and interurban services through rice fields. There is one express train per hour in each direction (then each company independently has more trains).

All Fukui Railway facilities have been converted to use low-floor trams. The renovation began in 2006.

Sources:
http://www.echizen-tetudo.co.jp/rail...fukutetsu.html
http://www.echizen-tetudo.co.jp/rail...ble_160327.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukui_Railway_Fukubu_Line
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikuni_Awara_Line

As for Fukui Tram System, here the German streetcars of Fukui:

Bkmn, Aconcagua 9 liked this post
Old May 8th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #3086
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New Maya Station

Since March 26 Kobe has a new commuter station: Maya Station on JR Kobe Line (Tokaido Main Line).

Functional station, which serves the neighbors to either side of the tracks, and with the usual design of refurbished/new stations of JR West in the recent years.

Maya station opened on March 26 coinciding with the timetable revision.

The new Maya station is served by the JR Kobe Line (Tokaido Main Line). It is located between Rokkomichi and Nada, 27.3 km from Osaka. Stops only "local" trains at this station with central platform.

There are approximately eight trains per hour to Kobe and Osaka.

While only stops 7-car "Local" trains, it is planned to have longer platforms for rapid 12-car trains if the company decides to make stop in the future.

Maya station occupies the terrains of an old rail yard, some areas still need to urbanize.

JR West sells this station as "eco-friendly" because it uses electricity from the regenerative brakes.

Concourse.

South Exit, it has three "branches", one with escalators up and down. On the other side an elevator, and finally a little more hidden, normal stairs.

North Exit with normal stairs and escalators. Also an elevator.

The main exit is the north side with a station plaza.

Bicycle parking.

Looking mount Maya.

16,000 passengers a day are expected to use this station. In the vicinity are several residential projects.

Source: http://koberun.blog56.fc2.com/blog-entry-1016.html

Bkmn, Svartmetall, raihanaulia liked this post
Old June 11th, 2016, 10:04 AM   #3087
Momo1435
Marotesque

Likes (Received): 41855

JR East released plans for a complete renovation, including a new station building on the Omote-sando side of Harajuku Station on the Yamanote Line in Tokyo.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/20160605.pdf

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201606090027.html

A completely new entrance building will be constructed above the tracks that gives access to the platforms. The currently disused Special Exit on the Meiji Jingu Side will be transformed into the new platform for the trains in the direction of Shinjuku. The current platform will become the platform for the trains in the direction of Shibuya.

The new passage way to the platforms.

It's unclear what will happen with the current station building, JR East is considering what they are going to do with it. But the location of the new building doesn't conflict with the old characteristic station building from 1924, so it doesn't have to be demolished for the new station.

http://harajuku-shiki.co.jp/other6_1.html

It's also unclear if there will be changes to the Takeshita Entrance, although the underpass there will also have to be connected to the new platform.

The current platform:

http://building-pc.cocolog-nifty.com...post-6ad5.html

Sendagaya Station on the Chuo-Sobu Line will also be renovated as it will be the main station at the new Olympic Stadium.

It will get a 2nd platform, which is currently also already there as a special platform and the station building will be renovated. As it's located underneath the viaduct of the Shuto Expressway #4, it will not be a station that will stand out.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/20160605.pdf

Bkmn, Sr.Horn, The Boy David liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #3088
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line new 13000 series:

Ayokoi

Aconcagua 9 liked this post
Old June 14th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #3089
The Boy David

Excellent - Harajuku station has badly needed a complete overhaul for years now - glad they're proposing to expand like this. Also glad to see the old building will remain; I get very worried when I see renovation in this forum as the Japanese idea of progress can be very much at odds with the more European culture of architectural retention!
Old June 24th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #3090
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

JR West 323 Series

Tetsudo Shimbun Twitter published few minutes ago the first pictures of the press visit to the new JR West 323 Series for the Osaka Loop Line:

http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/article/topic/entry-755.html
https://twitter.com/tetsudoshimbun

Aconcagua 9 liked this post

Last edited by Sr.Horn; June 24th, 2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old June 25th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #3091
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy David View Post
Excellent - Harajuku station has badly needed a complete overhaul for years now - glad they're proposing to expand like this. Also glad to see the old building will remain; I get very worried when I see renovation in this forum as the Japanese idea of progress can be very much at odds with the more European culture of architectural retention!
I'd love to hear you say that again about Euston Station and every redevelopment proposal even worse.

It would be satanic to demolish the old station building. Despite Harajuku changing over the years, it has consistently been the face. Frankly, I'm more concerned about what it will be used for.
Old June 26th, 2016, 05:14 PM   #3092
The Boy David

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
I'd love to hear you say that again about Euston Station and every redevelopment proposal even worse.

It would be satanic to demolish the old station building. Despite Harajuku changing over the years, it has consistently been the face. Frankly, I'm more concerned about what it will be used for.
Don't get me wrong, plenty of European cities have also made absolutely catastrophic mistakes "redeveloping" their old stations, though not sure if you're referring to the planned redevelopment of Euston for HS2, or the horrifying 1968 rebuild? If it's the latter, I certainly won't argue otherwise that the whole thing was a dreadful mistake, but it also was nearly 50 years ago now... Thankfully London, Glasgow, Birmingham et al are all now trying to correct (with varying degrees of success) the mistakes that were made back in the dark days of the 1960s clearances, civic restructuring, and brutalist architecture.

No escaping the damage done during that period country/continent wide; my hometown of Glasgow was one of the worst affected, still makes me weep when I see what was lost. I guess my point is that the destruction took place decades ago; nowadays European cities seldom turn their back on older stock the way they used to. (Incidentally, there's a great thread over on the Glasgow forum if it's of interest - we really had some of the UK's best Victorian stock until the 1960s got their hands on them.)

Anyway, I'm going off topic. I await Harajuku station's redevelopment with interest!
Old June 27th, 2016, 08:00 AM   #3093
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 643

I'm referring to both because most the redevelopment proposals are no better, and many inferior to what currently exists. While I'd rather not use clichés, "history repeats itself" with redevelopment proposals for Pennsylvania Station here in the U.S. and projects all over Europe touted by head-up-their-ass architects as the "greatest thing since sliced bread." It parallels the post-war period mindset, and within fifty years, these projects will too be deemed eyesores and maybe people will miss the older post-war generation ones. It's even evident from Carbuncle Cup nominations before construction finishes, to mulligans like the Bullring, New Street Station, and central library in Birmingham consistently panned by critics, while some of the best post-war buildings have been heritage listed. I can't speak entirely for Glasgow, but quickly looking at recent projects with hideous checkered and irregular window placement, which probably replaced many solid 1950s and 60s office blocks and expressways, which probably replaced many Victorian buildings which should have never been demolished in the first place, it appears really bad.

Of course, planners today think more long-term and sustainable than their "forward-thinking" and "rational" post-war counterparts, but many are still missing the point. While we many want something better than what currently exists, it should be the best as possible and could even be better than what previously existed. As the latter can be arbitrary, it's logical to rebuild in classical architecture. Arguably I'm biased with my preference for classical architecture, but considering it as a tradition of thousands of years while modernism has been around for less than 100, it's undeniably timeless. Rather than taking modernism literally using architecture, its technological contributions should be implemented into new classical buildings as "modernity" always has, from neoclassical to traditional postmodern architecture.

I used to believe we could never get our old stations like Penn or Euston back. The restoration of Tokyo Station shows contrary to this claim. What was practically destroyed during World War II and escaped numerous redevelopment proposals, has become one of Japan's great buildings (again). Furthermore, new extensions respect the historic character. It's quite possible to rebuild Penn and Euston Stations to their original splendor with new appropriate extensions, but starchitects and pet project government officials want to reinvent the wheel as an oval, if you understand.

Last edited by RegentHouse; June 27th, 2016 at 10:50 AM.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #3094
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 915

For the most part I agree. I will say that some new buildings look very nice, like the Cira Center in Philadelphia.

However, to directly resurrect Penn and Euston would be folly. It is worth noting that the track configuration is still what it was in 1910, and it is HORRIBLY inefficient and completely inadequate. Furthermore, the current station in some ways has more capacity than the original-which didn't have a proper waiting room or adequate access to the platforms. Euston was similarly cursed with inadequate capacity and outdated systems. Neither was handicapped accessible.

Do they both deserve to be brought back? YES!!! But we must do so with our eyes open to their mistakes. Euston was a hodge-podge that evolved over many years and Penn was an example of placing architecture before functionality. If I were to rebuild them, I would use rather different arrangements. Penn especially should be done entirely new. In the same style, but a completely new design.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #3095
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New animated short by Nagoya Railroad (Meitetsu) and Robot Studios:

Quote:
In the video, the protagonist, Miki, is traveling back to her hometown with her fiancé so that she can introduce him to her parents. On the train ride home, she reminisces about her childhood and recalls how she became estranged from her father.
ANN

Bkmn liked this post
Old August 14th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #3096
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

9000 series refurbishment

The early sets (01 to 08) are scheduled to undergo a program of refurbishment from 2016, with the first treated sets returning to service from August 2016. Internally, the transverse seating bays at the ends of cars will be replaced by longitudinal bench seats, and wheelchair spaces will be added to one end of each car. They added a pair of 17'' screen above each door. Externally, the refurbished sets will receive a revised livery with wavy turquoise and white stripes at waist height and shoulder height to make the line color more visible at stations with platform edge doors.

The Tokyo Metro 9000 series is an electric multiple unit (EMU) train type operated by Tokyo Metro on the Namboku Line in Tokyo, since 1991.

Current trains:

1 to 4 batch (1991 ~ 2000)

5 batch (2009)

Source:
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/08/07/100/
http://www.train-media.net/report/1511/metro.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Metro_9000_series

PiotrG, Aconcagua 9, starrwulfe liked this post

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: