daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture > Literature and Languages

Literature and Languages The Great Filipino Photo Contest

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #1
chocolato1000
fcuk plc

Likes (Received): 0

Ilocano Literary Works and Linguistics

Kas panangcelebrar tayu iti cultura ken artes iti kailokoan, maipaay daytoy a foro nga agserbi kuma a kas paggapuan wenno pag-gubuayan iti nasalun-at, nainsiriban ken nainragsakan a panagpapatang dagiti filipino nga salimetmetanda ken bigbigenda iti kinimaysada nga ilocano.

Mapalagipan ngarud amin, nga kas iti panangsalvar tayo iti bukod tayo nga dialecto, kariten kayo nga aramatenyo iti ilocano a kas pagsasao iti daytoy nga foro.

Domeng domeng mabalin amin. mabalin ngarud nga mapagpagpapatangan wenno pagtutungtungan iti daytoy nga foro iti aniamanna nga maipanggep iti ilocano wenno kailokoan - politica, economia, retrato, cancanta, pakpakatawa ken aniamanpay.

mabiag kayo amin.

http://www.giancarloibanez.freelife.com

Last edited by chocolato1000; August 30th, 2007 at 06:02 PM.
chocolato1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 27th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #2
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 187

Cool! Too bad I don't understand what you just posted. By the way, is this an "Ilocano Language Instruction" thread, or just a thread that's purely for Ilocano conversations?
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #3
BoNduRanT

I cant translate what chocolato posted accurately. I speak fluent Ilokano but I had a hard time reading it and understanding it. Ang lalim ng mga words eh, di ganun kinalakihan kung ilokano.
BoNduRanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #4
chocolato1000
fcuk plc

"domeng domeng mabalin amin (third paragraph)" is a popular ilocano radio programme featuring eccentric and humurous stories of ordinary ilocano people. the host of the programme is "manong domeng" and "mabalin amin" means "fits all," it means you can write to him any peculiar story that you have, and if it passed his taste your story will be broadcasted into the whole ilocandia region.

i added that phrase as an apery tantamount to saying "everything is allowed in this forum" as long as it relates to the many facets of the ilocano lifestyle. of course, there's no suspension of the SSC rules and regulations.

cheers

Old August 27th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #5
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

The only Ilocano words/phrase I know is....mangan tayon!
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #6
chocolato1000
fcuk plc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNduRanT View Post
I cant translate what chocolato posted accurately. I speak fluent Ilokano but I had a hard time reading it and understanding it. Ang lalim ng mga words eh, di ganun kinalakihan kung ilokano.
taga san kb? ohohoho, everytime i go home to ilocos i love discussing (kapatang) with my grandparents...nakakaaliw (makaparag-o / makaparay-aw) makinig sa mga old schooled, andami kung natutunang mga old fashioned ilocano words, parang hindi sila nauubusan. but the dilemma is translating these archaic words into english, i can perfectly understand what they're trying to say pero ang hirap i-express sa english...arrrrggghh.

Last edited by chocolato1000; August 27th, 2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #7
LordCarnal
Filius Dei

Likes (Received): 1

hey, someone from Baguio taught me an Ilokano phrase just a while ago.. I'll try to remember it, hehe..

LordCarnal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #8
Louman

Is this thread gonna be like the Bicol one where only one person could actually speak the language and everyone else is posting in Tagalog and English? gwhahaha.. I hope not.
Louman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #9
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Then that kinda unscientifically proves that other Philippine languages are indeed dying out and the prevalence of Tagalog....oops....I meant Filipino is becoming the lingua franca of the Philippines (from Batanes to Tawi-Tawi).

Old August 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #10
allan_dude
Registered Spammer

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolato1000 View Post
Kas panangcelebrar tayu iti cultura ken artes iti kailokoan, maipaay daytoy a foro nga agserbi kuma a kas paggapuan wenno pag-gubuayan iti nasalun-at, nainsiriban ken nainragsakan a panagpapatang dagiti filipino nga salimetmetanda ken bigbigenda iti kinimaysada nga ilocano.

Mapalagipan ngarud amin, nga kas iti panangsalvar tayo iti bukod tayo nga dialecto, kariten kayo nga arametenyo iti ilocano a kas pagsasao iti daytoy nga foro.

Domeng domeng mabalin amin. mabalin ngarud nga mapagpagpapatangan wenno pagtutungtungan iti daytoy nga foro iti aniamanna nga maipanggep iti ilocano wenno kailokoan - politica, economia, retrato, cancanta, pakpakatawa ken aniamanpay.

mabiag kayo amin.
Nagadalem met ta imbagam chocolato. Haan ko masyado maawatan ti imbagam. Basit lang na ilocano ti amok. Surwan nak man dagiti adalem na sao kabsat.
allan_dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #11
allan_dude
Registered Spammer

Likes (Received): 4

INQUIRER NORTHERN LUZON
Bulosan in his native tongue

By Gabriel Cardinoza

BINALONAN, Pangasinan – Residents of Binalonan, an Ilocano-speaking town in eastern Pangasinan, can now read in their native tongue the highly acclaimed novel of their famous town mate, Carlos Bulosan.

Thanks to Manuel Diaz, a local fiction writer, who translated Bulosan’s “America is in the Heart” into Ilocano.

“Adda iti Puso ti Amerika” is now being serialized in Bannawag, a weekly vernacular magazine that circulates in the Ilocos region.

The novel, which was first published in 1946, describes Bulosan’s boyhood in the Philippines, his voyage to America, and his years of hardship and despair as an itinerant laborer on that foreign land.

Bulosan was born in a village in Binalonan, then known as Mangusmana, and died in Seattle, Washington, on Sept. 11, 1956.

“I hope that my translation of Bulosan into Ilocano will trigger another translation of his other important works into the vernacular,” Diaz said.

Bulosan’s literary pieces since 1914 consisted of short stories, poems, plays and essays, which have been kept in seven boxes, one folder and 17 microfilm reels at the University of Washington Libraries in Seattle.

Since the writings are all in English, many Ilocanos may have never fully appreciated them, said Jaime Lucas, Diaz’s colleague in the local chapter of the Gunglo dagiti Mannurat nga Ilokano (Association of Ilocano Writers).

“Some of us have not even seen Bulosan’s book in English. So it’s good that it’s now being serialized in Bannawag that even the ordinary Ilocano can now appreciate the writings of Bulosan,” Lucas said.

First time

Diaz, who is translating Bulosan’s work for the first time, said what he had done was not easy.

“The novel was set in the 1930s and the ambiance was very different from what we have today. There were even words in the novel which are no longer applicable,” Diaz said.

But Diaz said he hoped his work would not only help increase awareness among the Ilocanos about Bulosan but would make them become proud of him as well.

Bulosan is not known now, especially among students because his works are no longer included in the required readings in high school and college literature classes. “There has to be a rediscovery of Bulosan,” Diaz said.
allan_dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #12
manileņo
i am megi

Likes (Received): 6

there's Foro Filipino and now Foro Ilocano. good choice of thread title!

and i also like how the threadstarter did the introduction in traditional Ilocano lexicon. (i.e, the Spanish letters are retained) cos im starting to notice that present-day ilocano has already become taglicized, the letter K being favoured in replace of C (Ilokano?), but anyway. good job everyone!
manileņo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #13
nieto.de.aglipay

Haan co ammo, ngem possible nga ti vocabulario Iloco adda nga addu ti sarsarita nga Espanyol. Ammo nga ti ad-adlaw ti semana... amin nga adlaw imbaga-mi en mannera Espanyol... Lunes hasta Domingo, en ves nga Lunes hanggang Linggo.

Anya ti prociente ti sarsarita nga Iluco nga de origen Espanyol, quen de origen Malayo? 30%?
nieto.de.aglipay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:04 AM   #14
chocolato1000
fcuk plc

kinapudnona, medio narigat nga madacwatan tayu no mano nga porsiento iti lengua ilocano iti nagtaud iti espanol y malayo...ngem iti sabali a banag, saan a ma-completo iti vocabulario iloco nu awan iti pagsasao nga espanol nga mangsupusop...adda met dagiti maar-aramat nga pagsasao nga nagtaud iti lenguaje dagiti espanol nga nabaliwan iti exacto nga caipapananna, casla coma iti "siguro ken sigurado."

Old August 31st, 2007, 08:28 AM   #15
midwestguy1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiretoce View Post
Then that kinda unscientifically proves that other Philippine languages are indeed dying out and the prevalence of Tagalog....oops....I meant Filipino is becoming the lingua franca of the Philippines (from Batanes to Tawi-Tawi).

I wouldn't necessarily say that especially here in SSC because there is a very limited number of people that knows about SSC forums, more so filipinos and that not everybody in the Philippines have the access of internet except in their internet cafes...
midwestguy1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:33 AM   #16
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Did you fail to see the humor in it, or did you just see past the sign?
Old September 1st, 2007, 09:55 AM   #17
midwestguy1
BANNED

maybe, maybe not???LOL
midwestguy1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #18
Nabartek
leaf shinobi

Likes (Received): 408

Are you a native of Ilocos?? Your Ilocano is like from soneone who was raised from Ilocos provinces.

The Ilocano variant of Ilocos tend to somewhat 'alienize' some Baguio peeps.
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #19
ergit222

Likes (Received): 307

@Choco, nasayaat ta adda met inrugim nga ilocano thread ditoy SSC. Sapay kuma nga am-amin nga ka-ilokuan ket makikadwa ken makigulo da met iti madama nga pagsarsaritaan ken nabaknang nga cultura iti ka-ilokuan. Agbiag ka kabsat!

ergit222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #20
bukid
Fishful

diak maawatan.

naimbag nga rabii mga gayyem, adda man pala ditoy mga ilocano.