daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Transport and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #4241
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayshay123 View Post
http://www.airports.co.za/Documents/...0at%20KSIA.pdf quite interesting read jump to page 76
interesting... has Emirates sent notice that they intend to bring the A380?

Key parts pasted below...

Introduction and Background

King Shaka International Airport plans to attract further business, expanding international traffic, thereby various aircraft types. The project will therefore enable the parking and utility of the Charlie aprons and passenger loading bridges to accommodate the A380.

2.2 Objective
The objective of this request for Bid is to solicit services of a service provider with the extensive knowledge and experience in designing rear service steps and reconfiguration of ground power units at the Charlie Apron, King Shaka International Airport.

2.4 Description of service
King Shaka International has two wide body aprons, namely Charlie and Delta aprons. Whilst Delta apron is a remote stand, Charlie apron is a contact stand and served by two double spoke apron drive Passenger Loading Bridges (PLB’s). Currently aircraft such as the A380 cannot make use of the PLB at the Charlie stands due to the design compatibility of the PLB’s with certain aircraft types. The project objective is to make minor modifications which would allow for the use of the passenger loading bridges whilst the A380’s are parked at any of the Charlie bays. The PLB is equipped with Ground Power Units (GPU) mounted about 5.5 m from the front end of the bridge and hangs over a metre to 1.4m below the PLB floor which is at an obstacle position. The current service steps location is also at an obstacle position to an A380 wing during ground operation. The wing proximity sensors of the aircraft will get activated and prevent further movement of the passenger loading bridge due to the collision protection fail safe mode activation. To overcome this, it is needed that: The relocation of ground power units for acceptable vertical wing proximity clearance of the PLB mounted GPU and, removal of service steps to achieve acceptable lateral clearance of the PLB to the leading edge of the aircraft wing. Due to the removal of the service steps at the front end of the PLB, access into the PLB and aircraft by construction of a rear service staircase is required.

source: http://www.airports.co.za/Documents/...0at%20KSIA.pdf

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #4242
shayshay123

Likes (Received): 57

I was wondering the same thing because why only now suddenly rush into the alterations of the bridges and also there is an urgent tender for the extension of the baggage carousel 4 to accommodate extra baggage hence when piecing two and two together I could only wonder what is happening, be it Emirates or maybe possibly a new airline?
shayshay123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #4243
dysan1
More development

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayshay123 View Post
I was wondering the same thing because why only now suddenly rush into the alterations of the bridges and also there is an urgent tender for the extension of the baggage carousel 4 to accommodate extra baggage hence when piecing two and two together I could only wonder what is happening, be it Emirates or maybe possibly a new airline?
urgent baggage carousel extension too? Clearly an A380 is on its way.

There are only two options i have in mind

1) It is Emirates upgrading to A380

2) BA are finally starting Durban by continuing their A380 flight to Joburg onwards - Dube Tradeport did mention advanced talks for a direct London flight

Can't see it for anyone else.
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:28 PM   #4244
shayshay123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
urgent baggage carousel extension too? Clearly an A380 is on its way.

There are only two options i have in mind

1) It is Emirates upgrading to A380

2) BA are finally starting Durban by continuing their A380 flight to Joburg onwards - Dube Tradeport did mention advanced talks for a direct London flight

Can't see it for anyone else.
http://www.airports.co.za/Documents/...20carousel.pdf
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #4245
shayshay123

INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
ACSA’s sustained growth in air traffic over the years, coupled with a creative and performance focused management and leadership team have contributed to the company’s excellent financial performance over time. This has enabled the company to transform South Africa’s airports into world-class airports, delivering value for customers, stakeholders, shareholders, and employees. In addition, it has allowed the company to extend its business focus to include the promotion of tourism to facilitate economic growth through an increase in job creation and the protection of the environment.
ACSA KSIA has embarked on increasing international air traffic and as a result international capacity has increased thereby requiring infrastructure to accommodate the increased passenger numbers. The installation of a larger baggage carousel will thus be able to alleviate a portion of the increased throughput.

SCOPE OF WORK

At the time of design of the international baggage claim precinct (reclaim loop 5 area), the design was calculated to accommodate an eighty percent load factor of a Boeing 747 and to provide a level of service C as defined by the International Air Transport Association. Current passenger throughput exceeds design capability as KSIA has successfully attracted new international carriers to the airport. This translates to an approximate increase to almost double the number of international passengers per peak hour. Due to the commencement of new airlines, the commencement of this project is urgent as processing the increased number of international passengers during the peak hour also compromises the level of service delivered in the international arrivals

With the installation of a longer baggage carousel in the reclaim loop 4 area, an increase in passengers and bags over an hour may be processed, alleviating a portion of the congestion.
The new baggage carousel will be installed in the current reclaim loop 4 position. The existing 49,4 m centre line length reclaim carousel must be decommissioned and stored on site. Transportation, equipment and manpower must be provided for the safe removal and storage of the existing baggage carousel. The design and fabrication will be done off-site, while installation will be done in co-ordination with operational peak hours and planning. Tranportation, equipment and manpower must also be provided for the delivery of the new baggage carousel inclusive of all shipping charges. The service provider will be required to provide all alterations where the old carousel was replaced in order to deliver a new carousel and surrounding infrastructure. The service provider will also be rquired to perform testing and commissioning as well as training and maintenance manuals. The service must be fully inclusive and to include a 1 year maintenance warranty and spares supply. A safety agent is required for this appointment to fulfil regulative duties as per the Construction Regulations 2014

Source: http://www.airports.co.za/Documents/...20carousel.pdf

dysan1, ckbs, romanSA liked this post
Old June 16th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #4246
dysan1
More development

i cannot see a timeframe on works completion though...
Old June 16th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #4247
dysan1
More development

any of the guys on the ground (twr1, dale1) able to add anymore?
Old June 16th, 2017, 04:50 PM   #4248
dysan1
More development

Interestingly, Dube Tradeport have also awared a contract to Sakhisizwe Architects
cc for Provision of ad hoc architectural services for Dube TradePort Corporation for a period of 3 years.

I believe this will focus on the retail expansion
Old June 16th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #4249
Dale1

Likes (Received): 49

I was under the impression that the International PLB's were built to accomodate the A380. The actual stands can accomodate them as we have seen with BA flying there A380 to Durban for crew training. Obviously they didnt need the second bridge at the time as there was only crew on the aircraft. I think it was really dof of them to not build the PLB's correctly to start off with.

Despite that, it is exciting to think that there is a strong possibility that Durban could see scheduled A380 services soon... I agree, it will more than likely be Emirates or BA flying onwards from JHB. I have never liked this idea for BA as I think there is enough demand to go non-stop but I think with Heathrow's constraints it might be Durban's only option for now. BA's 2 aircraft sit in JHB the whole day and then they only depart in the evening so why not fly onwards to Durban and they can park it here until the evening... The only issue might be with Comair. That has come up a lot in the past...

Another thing KSIA needs is the additional wide body stands and possible extention of the terminal to accomodate them. Im sure I read that they only plan on doing that in 2022 (might be mistaken). I think that needs to be done sooner....
Dale1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:47 AM   #4250
dysan1
More development

Why should Comair get involved? They didn't when BA increased to 3 daily flights to CPT over the summer
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #4251
Switch

Likes (Received): 24

The way I read that document is not that KSIA cannot accommodate the A380 but more a use of the airbridges.

BA had the A380 here and they used both airbridges.

The documents mentions the APU being an obstruction and the stairs of the airbridges being in the wrong place. I think this has more to do with which doors they want to connect the airbridges to.

More specifically connecting an airbridge to the upper deck as this door is just above the wing. Both lower deck doors can be connected without interference with the wing which is how BA connected when they were at KSIA.

For passenger flights they like using the upper deck door and the second lower deck door.

Switch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #4252
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Surely, this is for an Emirates A380.

Reading the document, the existing gate configuration is only an issue if they want to connect an airbridge to an A380 upper deck; there is no problem if they connect both bridges to the lower deck (as was demonstrated when British Airways sent their A380 down for crew training some years back). Emirates have configured the seating on their A380s with the lower deck being entirely economy class and the upper deck being entirely first class and/or business class (source: seatguru.com) so, if only two airbridges are available, they would surely want to connect one to the lower deck for economy passengers, and one to the upper deck to enable priority boarding for their business and first class passengers. The existing airbridge design won't let them do this (they can only connect both airbridges to the lower deck), hence the urgent modifications.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #4253
shayshay123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2K View Post
Surely, this is for an Emirates A380.

Reading the document, the existing gate configuration is only an issue if they want to connect an airbridge to an A380 upper deck; there is no problem if they connect both bridges to the lower deck (as was demonstrated when British Airways sent their A380 down for crew training some years back). Emirates have configured the seating on their A380s with the lower deck being entirely economy class and the upper deck being entirely first class and/or business class (source: seatguru.com) so, if only two airbridges are available, they would surely want to connect one to the lower deck for economy passengers, and one to the upper deck to enable priority boarding for their business and first class passengers. The existing airbridge design won't let them do this (they can only connect both airbridges to the lower deck), hence the urgent modifications.
Yes this is exactly what happens in countries that don't have 3 airbridges, one is used for the main deck and the other is used for the first deck.
Old June 19th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #4254
dysan1
More development

So do we think is a minimal cost and time change?
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #4255
Dale1

Oh I see, so its really just an issue of getting the bridge to the upper deck door... Well hopefully its not too big a job...
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #4256
Dale1

I have just noticed that flights between Durban and Addis Ababa can't be booked after 28th July... Anyone know why? Hope they not stopping the route...
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #4257
twr1

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale1 View Post
I have just noticed that flights between Durban and Addis Ababa can't be booked after 28th July... Anyone know why? Hope they not stopping the route...
I cant seem to make a booking too, the pax numbers havent been the greatest, but way better than QR and TK flights yesterday
twr1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:59 AM   #4258
sahilr

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr1 View Post
I cant seem to make a booking too, the pax numbers havent been the greatest, but way better than QR and TK flights yesterday
I also can't seem to book via the Ethiopian website but you can still book the codeshare with SAA after the 28th.
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:31 PM   #4259
twr1

Likes (Received): 29

I got a reply from Ethiopian, they said the Durban route will be temporarily closed from August.
twr1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 01:59 PM   #4260
sahilr

Likes (Received): 53

Perhaps they need to introduce a tag-on route with another African destination if the pax numbers are a bit low?