SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Manchester Victoria Station

2M views 8K replies 446 participants last post by  Tony_H1 
#1 ·
A hidden jewel in Manchester's transport arsenal, if only a bit of money was spent on it, it would mean Manchester having 2 world class Rail gateways, with Piccadilly Being the ultra modern one and Victoria being it's classy Sister.

Its a crying shame whats happened to Victoria, its dark, dingy, is only served by crappy cattle wagons, and has no shops whats so ever.

If only the council and the train companies would step in to clean up the place and give it the attention her achitects envisaged,

Get it sorted, its closer to The City Centre then Piccadilly and would be a even classier station.

#82 ·
It was glass - it had a gold sheen to it. Bit 80's if you ask me.All looked a bit too Dallas. Like a glass Arndale (if you know what i mean?) There was nice model kicking about which i saw. I suppose the name Vector was all thrusting and futuristic and that. Stupid 80's name aswell!

#87 ·
I've got a really good colour render of the vector tower in an old copy of a City Council economic development brochure. Unfortunately I have no way of posting it on here! I've thought for a while that it needs to be posted......(how??)

It was an optimistic and quite grandiose scheme, at a time when Manchester's economy was relatively lackluster (not at all like today). The intention was that it was to provide hotel and office space.....no apartments.

#88 ·
Jongeman said:
I've got a really good colour render of the vector tower in an old copy of a City Council economic development brochure. Unfortunately I have no way of posting it on here! I've thought for a while that it needs to be posted......(how??)

It was an optimistic and quite grandiose scheme, at a time when Manchester's economy was relatively lackluster (not at all like today). The intention was that it was to provide hotel and office space.....no apartments.
Scan it, photshop it(if you want to?), go to photobucket, upload it, paste it in to thread.

#94 ·
It's still a more interesting shape than, say Inacity Tower, isn't it? :)

#97 ·
The 'market' has changed beyond recognition since Vector first came in. There is no point debating the design above because it aint ever going to happen. Ever!
Ive said before that this part of town is crying out for another big building - if we do get one lets just hope its a good un'.

#98 ·
As an corporate HQ office block, the old design isn't a bad one, but a tower on that site will never be used as such will it?