daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 28th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #201
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12196

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyneighboor
bumping for the lil' India pix hood. A place I rarely visit and have little knowledge of.
I'm totally pumped for getting the rest of them. If it does not rain on Sunday I will. I love the pix I got, but there is a certain "feel" to Little India that must be experienced on a hot summer night. The elegant saris, the families eating in outdoor restaurants like Lahore, and the street vendors selling barbecued corn on the cob. I can't describe it.... but I am determined to capture it.

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #202
TubeSaga
Verona Blend

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/4...eorgest4vi.jpg
Old August 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM   #203
Taller, Better
Administrator

Finally I have organised my Little India shots from the past week. I went on two days, one being before the crowds arrived so I could properly photograph the shops, and the second day being at the height of a Sunday afternoon shopping/entertaining day for families. Little India is on Gerrard Street East, and is within a comfortable bike ride from my home in downtown Toronto. While the community is prominently Indian, it is really a centre for South Asian nationalities in Toronto like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, etc... my Sri Lankan friend goes there to get his cricket equipment. I rode my bike down from Greektown (a future thread), and I will give you the lay of the land by showing you a couple of shots of what the terrain is like in that area:

I am not all that knowledgeable about the history or the intricacies of this 'hood, so if any of my fellow Torontonians have more expertise, or would like to correct me, please feel free! The official 'hood name is Gerrard India Bazaar, which is a tad business oriented, I suppose:

I loved these movie posters on this cinema. Is this man proud of his set of chompers, or what!:

The first time I went through Little India was on a very hot summer night... a number of years back. I was shocked to stumble across it, with its exotic sights and smells and musical sounds... the gorgeous colours of the saris and everyone eating fragrant barbecued corn on the cob. I longed to come back and take photos some day, and finally have had my chance. I think, in a small way, I have been able to capture a bit of the magic that is Little India:

Everywhere are these stands selling roasted corn... they fiercely compete and one pretty lady convinced me to sample her wares:

her son was barbecueing the corn, and as he pulled it off he asked if I would like it "spicy". Why not? He rolled it in a heady mix of spices and handed it piping hot to me:

It is everywhere... everyone seems to be eating it. Like hotdogs, I suppose, but more delicious and infinitely more healthy:

This picture is for our good friend Ashok from Montreal!

Vibrant colours everywhere.. a delight to the eye:

Fruit and vegetable markets spill out onto the sidewalk. Some I recognise from Chinatown:

and some I have never seen before. Have you ever seen a more beautiful fruit than these?

I met a befuddled middle aged couple from Hamilton, who had come all the way into Toronto to visit Little India, and had asked their cab driver where would be a good place to eat. He seemed to not think much of the suggestions they had written on their notes, and instead encouraged them to get back in his cab and go downtown to
a restaurant in Atrium on Bay (a small mall). I told them to do nothing of the kind and to just stay put and try one of the restaurants on the street:

to give you an idea of what the houses are like in the neighbourhood, here is an example.. Neat, tidy but very definitely a working class blue collar neighbourhood:

a sign I noticed on a pole:

and everywhere there is South Asian music... blaring from speakers to entice shoppers to come in.

more corn:

my first visit was cut short by a thunderstorm, which forced me to spend an unpleasant hour trapped in a Donut Shop which was freezing cold due to excessive air conditioning! LOL!

the aforementioned cricket supply store:

ICICI bank:

and that fellow who pops up on our tv screens quite a lot:

the local library:

Thanks to everyone for joining me today! Also thanks to Jan for making this great website... had it not been for SSC, I would probably not have done this photo tour. I am surprised how much I have learned about my own city since joining SSC! Ironically, the reason I began this thread was that I very much enjoyed one about Colonial architecture in Bombay.. that got me started thinking to start my own photoblog! I guess now I have come full circle. Due to an extremely efficient day yesterday, I have pictures for a few more entries "in the can" ... Greektown, The Annex, and Bloor St Yorkville area (including the new and glamorous Gardiner Ceramic Museum reno! I just need time to organise them all... Cheers!
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:01 AM   #204
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Wow Little India in Toronto is so vibrant, it made me wonder if Chicago also have same sort of neighborhood like it?
Since, out here is Chicago SW suburb, I know lots of indians and having lots of indian temples out here in da burbs, but unaware if there is Indian Town in Chicago!
Wonderful pix!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM   #205
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline

Wow Little India in Toronto is so vibrant, it made me wonder if Chicago also have same sort of neighborhood like it?
Since, out here is Chicago SW suburb, I know lots of indians and having lots of indian temples out here in da burbs, but unaware if there is Indian Town in Chicago!
Wonderful pix!
Thanks Chicago! I'll bet there is a similar area in Chicago... grab your camera and do a bit of sleuthing in your city's 'hoods! Start a thread! I know for sure that Chicago has the biggest Polish neighbourhood in North America
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:31 AM   #206
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better
Thanks Chicago! I'll bet there is a similar area in Chicago... grab your camera and do a bit of sleuthing in your city's 'hoods! Start a thread! I know for sure that Chicago has the biggest Polish neighbourhood in North America
Yea, I know that Polish has estalished tremendous hoods in Chicago, just not sure about our Indian freinds tho!
BTW, is little indian the biggest foreigner hood in Toronto after Chinatown?
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:41 AM   #207
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline
Yea, I know that Polish has estalished tremendous hoods in Chicago, just not sure about our Indian freinds tho!
BTW, is little indian the biggest foreigner hood in Toronto after Chinatown?
Hmmm... I think the two Little Italy's are bigger... Little India is about the same size as the Polish 'hood in Toronto (see past pages for those). Naturally there are suburbs where many people of South Asian descent live that are far away from this older downtown centre... but I think they come down to it to shop, and to eat and to soak up the scene! Soon I am going to photograph the Sri Lankan part of town, as I have some friends living there. It is smaller than Little India. The Chinatowns are still the biggest, though. The more the merrier!
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:44 PM   #208
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 34

Feel like having a real tour of the place, Taller, Better
sudheeshnairs no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:18 AM   #209
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs
Feel like having a real tour of the place, Taller, Better
Thanks for coming and visiting my little tour!!
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:54 AM   #210
thryve
같같같같같

Likes (Received): 22

That's SO neat, taller,better...

Thanks for showing us that 'hood like that... you portrayed it really nicely! Thank God SSC has you to show neighbourhood life in Toronto!
thryve no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM   #211
Gulser
persuasion

Likes (Received): 4

nice

Last edited by Gulser; November 8th, 2016 at 05:12 AM.
Gulser no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:51 AM   #212
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 13977

Nice pics!
Suncity no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #213
KoussKoussKlan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better
And finally, as the hour is getting late, I will just post some pictures that I took that have not fit in to any of the previous postings, or which I may have missed first time round. Just a mish mash of snaps:

I recognise here the Lillian Smith Library ...by the way great photos , and if I may suggest nice places like North York , Yorkville , Yonge/Bloore ...etc and for the bad areas , Parkdale , Parliament st/Shutter ,Scott Mission , Jane/Finch ( just kidding) ....anyways as you know there are so many places and so many things to see in Toronto , you can visit the world just by visiting Toronto ............keep it up mate ............

Last edited by KoussKoussKlan; August 5th, 2006 at 10:58 AM.
KoussKoussKlan no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #214
Taller, Better
Administrator

Thanks for the additional info! I've got pix for a Bloor St thread, from the Annex to Yonge St, but am just organising them. Also for a Greektown thread, but I want to wait to get pictures from the Greektown Festival next weekend to add to them. I will definitely do Yorkville too, and will do Cabbagetown Festival on Parliament St. Plus the Sri Lankan area. There are too many communities to do in just one summer!!! LOL!
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #215
InTheBeach
Indie Bean

Likes (Received): 24

Great thread.

For those that can't be there in person, I wish you could hear and smell some of these hoods (and taste, for the food). The pictures are great, but can't do them full justice.
InTheBeach no está en línea  
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #216
sc4ish
BANNED

Great picts! Toronto is wonderful!
sc4ish no está en línea  
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #217
salvius

Likes (Received): 12

^ errr... yes, it was really empty there on his St. Clair tour . Little India is one of the emptier nabes, certainly nothing in comparison to many other nabes. Your 'attempt' to make the city sound deserted are pathetic.

Beat it troll!

Last edited by salvius; August 12th, 2006 at 04:21 AM.
salvius no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #218
pollovercrazy

Allen gardens reminds of Kew Gardens in London, England. Never been there but there are certainly a lot of English things here in Vancouver as well!
Old August 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM   #219
Taller, Better
Administrator

I apologize to everyone for the spamming on my thread. There is a mentally unbalanced guy who has been repeatedly spamming the Toronto section the past
couple of days and he has hit my thread too. Please ignore his posts. Thanks!

edit: The spam has been removed. Thanks!

Last edited by Taller, Better; August 22nd, 2006 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spam cleaned up
Taller, Better no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM   #220
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Haven't checked this thread in awhile. Those latest pics show how diverse our city is.

Closed Thread

Tags
canada, toronto, toronto neighborhoods, toronto neighbourhoods, toronto photography, toronto photos, travel to toronto, visit toronto