search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Australian Capital Territory

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #1181
marcfranc

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcnb View Post
I still don't understand why the station is in Kingston. Is it because they originally built it there when Civic did not exist and they did not want to bother to move it after?
In most cities, train stations are somewhat near the centre or in the centre themselves, look Sydney or Melbourne. Here it is not even in an important hub. What is Kingston? It's not even near any important town centre.
I live in the north side, I've only used it once. Currently it takes less time to go on the bus to Sydney than on the train. Although that's a whole other debate.
Unless you live in a small town on the way, why would you use the train to go to Sydney if it is going to take longer?
Currently there isn't even a direct line to Melbourne. You have to catch a bus to Albury and from there a train to Melbourne. No wonder people fly.
The station's in Kingston because the line to Canberra was built in the early 20th century as a spur from an existing line from Goulburn to Bombala via the eastern side of Lake George, Queanbeyan and Cooma. Griffin's plan was for a polycentric city based on centres (with different purposes) at each of the three points of the Triangle, so Kingston wasn't out of the way, and in any event the line extended to Civic (although there wasn't anything much there) via a causeway across what is now East Basin. The extension washed away in a flood.

Scrawny liked this post

Last edited by marcfranc; August 27th, 2017 at 02:37 AM. Reason: error
marcfranc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2017, 02:36 AM   #1182
marcfranc

Likes (Received): 12

Achieving a reasonably fast service to Sydney will require a new line running for about 80 km between North Canberra and the main Sydney-Melbourne line south of Goulburn (east of Lake George). The airport is pushing for the terminus of this line to be at the airport on the grounds that:
1. this would allow a relatively inexpensive direct connection via the Majura Valley without running through any built up areas
2. Canberra is still a polycentric city with its central activities spread across both sides of the lake (encompassing the parliamentary area, Barton and Russell as well as Civic), with comparatively less of the travel in and out of Canberra to and from the nominal CBD (aka Civic) than would be the case with the case with Sydney, Melbourne and other conventionally structured cities.

While these arguments may be self-serving they do make some sense.
marcfranc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 02:58 AM   #1183
AndyGM

Likes (Received): 2297

The airport is the second best option for a station (behind Civic), but if the cost savings of going to the airport rather than Civic are what it takes to get the whole project over the line then I'm happy with that option.
AndyGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 03:16 AM   #1184
AndyGM

On a slight different note, the Housing Industry Association (basically the detached-housing lobby group) predicts that multi-unit commencements will fall by a third in the next financial year, while detached housing will grow.

https://www.allhomes.com.au/news/hou...170824-gy3cky/

Strictly speaking their numbers add up but they are just putting a brave spin on the poor position detached housing has in the ACT now.

My own calcs indicate apartment commencements will still be almost double detached housing commencements, while townhouse commencements are also going to exceed detached housing for the foreseeable future.

Canberra will be a very different city in a few years time. Far denser and more vibrant.
Old September 1st, 2017, 04:58 AM   #1185
AndyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxodium View Post
Was stuffing around with maps and of course I love the original Walter Burley Griffin design. Also I love trains so was thinking about through my experiences of using the Canberra railway station that the area needs a bit of a revamp and hopefully try to go back to WBG's roots.

Bit of a pipe-dream but thought it would be nice to give Canberra a more fitting railway station...

Talking about the plans for this area of Kingston. The ACT Government actually did a precinct plan study back in the late 2000s for the future development of the area.

https://www.planning.act.gov.au/__da..._Preferred.pdf

General thinking around urban development in Canberra has changed a lot since this report was done, so I would expect any future plans would probably involve a tram line replacing the rail line, mixed use replacing the industrial areas along Canberra Ave, and no detached housing at all.