search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Home Counties and South West England

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 25th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #861
Bowater

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondindevon View Post
plans in for some more student accommodation, this time 224 rooms on glenthorne road next to the campus off cowley bridge road. They must be expecting student numbers to continue increasing for several years yet as there are already several major developments opening in summer 2018.
http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-...es-just-361014

Why are they building on allotment land??
Bowater no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #862
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 733

I can only presume they were privately owned.
cyril sneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 12:37 PM   #863
dronkula

Likes (Received): 199

Not specific 'development' news - but I suspect there's some people here who might be interested - esp with the behind the scenes tour of the Football ground.

Quote:
Heritage Open Days

Some of Exeter’s most fascinating buildings will open their doors to the public free of charge for Heritage Open Days next week.

Many of the venues participating are not usually open to the public or otherwise charge an entry fee.

Heritage Open Days runs from Thursday 7 to Sunday 10 September. It is a unique opportunity to explore these sometimes hidden, often curious, and always interesting places. This year, 48 properties or events will be taking place throughout the city, with over 80 separate openings.

A selection of the properties opening their doors to the public free of charge include Exeter’s Guildhall, the Dissenters Graveyard ,Princesshay ,Tuckers Hall, 21 The Mint, various Red Coat Guided tours and Exeter’s Underground Passages.

Cllr Rachel Sutton, lead Councillor for Economy and Culture at Exeter City Council said: “This event appeals to residents and visitors alike, it is a great opportunity for people to explore the city’s rich heritage, and also get a chance to explore behind the scenes in places they would not usually get access to.”

Additional Highlights this year include:
• A guided tour of the St Thomas Tree trail
• a behind the scenes guided tour of Exeter City Football Club, including a last opportunity to see the Stagecoach Stand before its development
• A guided tour of Exeter Livestock Centre during an actual market and auction
• Various tours of the Cathedral including an exhibition at the Cathedral Library highlighting the role of Exeter’s First World War Hospitals

For further information please visit or call Exeter Visitor Information & Tickets on 01392 665700. Full listings, which include opening times, can be found on

https://www.visitexeter.com/whats-on...n-days-p265363

The event in Exeter is co-ordinated by Exeter City Council’s Events, Facilities and Markets Unit and nationally by the Heritage Open Days National Partnership.
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 02:50 PM   #864
cyril sneer

Tuckers Hall is worth a visit. I've not been inside 21 The Mint before. One building I would like to take a look around inside would be The Bishop's Palace.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 11:54 AM   #865
cyril sneer

I see Exeter's google maps has been updated. Must be fairly recent as the clarence is burnt down on it. I like scanning over the city and seeing the new developments.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 06:55 PM   #866
cyril sneer

Ikea

Ikea Exeter by C S, on Flickr

RickLW liked this post
Old September 4th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #867
guyb121

Likes (Received): 6

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...eisure-scheme/

Quote:
Exeter City Council is expected to sign a deal in the next few weeks to deliver a major city centre retail and leisure scheme.
guyb121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #868
Maderz

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyb121 View Post
Thought I'd embed the image from that article not seen before.

Maderz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #869
raymondindevon

Likes (Received): 23

Phase two of the Exeter Gateway distribution facility has been given outline approval as part of the Exeter and East Devon Growth Point next to the new lidl depot that is shortly opening. It will create 110,000 sq m of logistics and distribution floor space and nearly 2000 jobs and will be even bigger than the lidl depot so a pretty major development. It hasnt been decided if it will be a single large unit or 13 smaller units yet but the only downside is they removed a previous legal clause requiring that a railhead be provided so all the transport/access will be via the b3174. I think 1 large unit would be best for the area if they could attract someone like amazon or another retail/supermarket depot. The smaller unit would just be another industrial estate although at least its more new jobs/development for the area.

raymondindevon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #870
cyril sneer

St James Park

St James Park Exeter by C S, on Flickr

St James Park Exeter by C S, on Flickr

RickLW liked this post
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #871
dronkula

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondindevon View Post
I think 1 large unit would be best for the area if they could attract someone like amazon or another retail/supermarket depot. The smaller unit would just be another industrial estate although at least its more new jobs/development for the area.
I assume it'll come down to if they get any interest from someone like Amazon.

I doubt they'll build the one large unit speculative and didn't Sainsburys sit on the Lidl site for years before finally admitting they were never going to do anything with it and sold it on?
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:26 AM   #872
cyril sneer

I agree, its dissappointing the intermodal rail head has been removed from the scheme. There is so much unused capacity of the railways in this country at night where freight by rail could be exploited.

I thought there were rumours a few years ago that Amazon were interested in the site. Maybe that will come to light. I would prefer the larger unit aswell.
Old September 7th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #873
cyril sneer

An interesting application submitted for the quay. The derelict plot behind the city wall on quay hill adjacent to the rear of the customs house is to be turned into housing. The baptist church in front of the quay car park is also included in the scheme. A fairly comtemporary design.

http://publicaccess.exeter.gov.uk/on...=OVFVOFHBHA500
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:45 PM   #874
Maderz

Likes (Received): 30

Plans submitted for the Clarence. Video included in article http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-...22486#ICID=IYA
Maderz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: