search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2017, 05:00 AM   #1301
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 741

Apparently, Andrew Mitchell has raised the idea of re-routing Brassington Avenue closer to the railway line and therefore bringing the developable site directly next to Gracehurch although they`d have to do something with the exit from the Car Park.

Perhaps this would be a good location for a new library and some more shops although I would personally like to see the library rebuilt as part of the Red Rose Centre re-development and Lower Parade turned into a boulevard. Build some more shops where the 'green' embankment is by the bus stops or create a proper grassed area for people to sit in the Summer.

In fact, I`d like to see Gracechurch knocked down altogether and extended out to the railway line but that`s not going to happen. Pity. It`s an ugly view of Sutton coming in to the station from Birmingham.

Rijowhite liked this post

Last edited by RalphGuy; January 25th, 2017 at 05:28 AM.
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:16 PM   #1302
RalphGuy

Interesting article in the Sutton Observer today. It seems that plans are being discussed to redevelop the wasteland at Brassington Avenue and turn it into a car park to serve both Sutton and the railway station.

The current Gracechurch car park would be converted into more shops and other uses.

These plans have come from a meeting between Andrew Mitchell MP, Steve Hollis and the owners of Gracechurch.

A Masterplan is to be put together.

I think this is brilliant news but I hope they make a huge change to the aesthetics of Gracechurch, viewed from Brassington Ave, and make the ground floor area more accessible from Brassington because that particular entrance into House of Fraser is pathetic. I don`t know what they can do but I hope they do something.
Old February 4th, 2017, 12:00 AM   #1303
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 835

What a waste of land. Surely a multi storey car park on this site is more harm than any tall building proposal.

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 06:24 AM   #1304
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 158

The only benefit I can see from turning it into a car park is to push forward the plans for a bypass across the Reddicroft car parks and building on the remaining land on those sites. However, Brassington Avenue should not become some backwater for vehicles only if the town centre is going to develop properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #1305
Rijowhite

Location: My Home City BIRMINGHAM and my adopted home TAMWORTH.
Likes (Received): 187

Could they move Shops into this new development while the rest of Gracechurch gets redeveloped? The Centre desperately needs a makeover in my opinion.

A lot of people say 'Birmingham & West Midlands' anyway when describing the Birmingham/West Midlands County so why not 'Birmingham & West Midlands' as the official name? Truly building a 'Second City' Region' TOGETHER with Birmingham while keeping separate identities and being less confusing with the 'West Midlands' Region...

BIRMINGHAM & WEST MIDLANDS COUNTY Combined Authority.
BIRMINGHAM & WEST MIDLANDS Metropolitan County.
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #1306
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
The only benefit I can see from turning it into a car park is to push forward the plans for a bypass across the Reddicroft car parks and building on the remaining land on those sites. However, Brassington Avenue should not become some backwater for vehicles only if the town centre is going to develop properly.

Fair point but how are they going to re-integrate the Brassington Avenue site into the town centre. It`s isolated whilst the Gracechurch car park is there. I`d love the car park to come down and see The Mall redeveloped and extended up to the railway line, but where are you going to locate that amount of car parking?

I`d also love to see Lower Parade pedestrianised and turn that embankment area into a usable green space because it is just a nuisance and a waste of space. But where would the buses go? Brassington Avenue perhaps?

Last edited by RalphGuy; February 4th, 2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old February 5th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #1307
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Fair point but how are they going to re-integrate the Brassington Avenue site into the town centre. It`s isolated whilst the Gracechurch car park is there. I`d love the car park to come down and see The Mall redeveloped and extended up to the railway line, but where are you going to locate that amount of car parking?

I`d also love to see Lower Parade pedestrianised and turn that embankment area into a usable green space because it is just a nuisance and a waste of space. But where would the buses go? Brassington Avenue perhaps?
I seem to remember the masterplan for the town centre incorporated a bus station by the church behind Gracechurch. I actually think the Brassington Avenue site itself could work as some sort of bus station that is integrated with the train station. Brassington Avenue is wider than it really needs to be.

I also think the car park is larger than it needs to be. I've very rarely seen it anywhere near capacity and it seems like it was designed with the idea that the shopping centre would be more of a regional competitor than it ever could be. As a local centre then better public transport integration should be encouraged and car use discouraged.

Unfortunately I think the Gracechurch centre is just too big to make breaking it up into a better shopping area commercial viable. And that would only go part of the way to addressing the issues of the town centre.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #1308
RalphGuy

I wonder if the emphasis on saving the Green Belt in the Government`s new White Paper on Housing will encourage Project Fields to start their battle again to stop the 6,000 homes being built.

It must be very confusing for them to hear the Government giving all these pro-Green Belt commitments and then saying that BCC can include Langley and Peddimore into their new plan.
Old February 9th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #1309
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
I wonder if the emphasis on saving the Green Belt in the Government`s new White Paper on Housing will encourage Project Fields to start their battle again to stop the 6,000 homes being built.

It must be very confusing for them to hear the Government giving all these pro-Green Belt commitments and then saying that BCC can include Langley and Peddimore into their new plan.
No, because the government often say they will protect things out loud but quietly undermine. For example see the fracking in national parks and under SSSI. Not only that but the only greenbelt they really care about is that around London protecting the home counties.

citywatcher01 liked this post
Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #1310
djay
The promised land

I would also add that protecting the Green Belt doesn't mean what people think it means.

The general public, like those in sutton think protecting the Green Belt means building nothing but farms and barns (some also think a field = Green Belt but lets ignore them for a second). This is incorrect and in essence, protecting the Green Belt is about directing development to land that isn't in the Green Belt first before managing the release of the worst performing Green Belt to help development pressure.

This is the process that has taken place in Birmingham. However, the failure in the planning system is that when Green Belt development comes forward on the ground, it can appear (if it is allocated) that this is coming before the use of brownfield and non-Green Belt land.

Two Weeks Notice
Old February 10th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #1311
Bugbyte

Likes (Received): 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post

This is the process that has taken place in Birmingham. However, the failure in the planning system is that when Green Belt development comes forward on the ground, it can appear (if it is allocated) that this is coming before the use of brownfield and non-Green Belt land.
I do appreciate your comments Djay as you obviously have a good handle on planning, etc.

The problem here is that Andrew Mitchell's plan to insist that all Brown belt sites are used up before Sutton's green belt fell on deaf ears, therefore green belt IS coming before brown belt and that can only be due to potential profits - including the landowners who just happen to be.......
Old February 10th, 2017, 10:32 PM   #1312
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
I do appreciate your comments Djay as you obviously have a good handle on planning, etc.

The problem here is that Andrew Mitchell's plan to insist that all Brown belt sites are used up before Sutton's green belt fell on deaf ears, therefore green belt IS coming before brown belt and that can only be due to potential profits - including the landowners who just happen to be.......
For Mitchell's plan you would need a moratorium in place. Stratford did that and since the NPPF was adopted, they have been thoroughly F'd when it comes to housing supply and development having to be allowed on sites that were never considered suitable. It also hasn't helped that they have taken so long to get a plan in place. If this was in place in bham and for some reason they did not meet their development target, Sutton would be a target for developers.

If there was a moratorium in place in Sutton it would artificially increase house prices, might end up in worsening the housing crisis, (if the rest of the city under performed in housing delivery) it would lead to development on greenfield sites that are less appropriate for development.

Green Belt has less development cost in most cases than brownfield but at the sametime Green Belt needs infrastructure which is also very expensive (roads, drains, schools are all paid for by the developer when it comes to big Green Belt development like that proposed in Sutton). When it comes to sites as big as sutton at 5000 dwellings, the cost of Greenbelt is far more than a few 100 homes on a brownfield site. And that is why such volumes of homes are proposed... it is that expensive that you need this level of development to ensure it does not impact its surroundings and it is self-contained.

As i said, all available brownfield land is allocated in Birmingham. Urban extensions are legitimate (as the Government has said) ways to boost housing supply and are encouraged. It is unfortunate that Sutton Residents do not like it but i'm sure those who cannot get on the housing ladder or struggle to afford high rent don't like that more.

Two Weeks Notice

Last edited by djay; February 10th, 2017 at 10:40 PM.