daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #1
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 1

Midwest Housing Rundown

With all the investment in the Midwest, most (or all) of our region's cities are experiencing an evolution in their housing.

My question is: What direction are we moving architectually?

If you guys are interested, let's see some housing project-rundowns for cities in the Midwest. Let's keep it simple, just post anything under-construction, and only include housing. It should be interesting to see the new directions each city is heading to.
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #2
CorrND
Chris

Likes (Received): 68

Indianapolis Projects

This site presents a fairly exhaustive list of downtown Indianapolis residential projects:

http://www.indydt.com/newresprojects.html

If you click the links, many of the projects have a quick snapshot of the construction project and links to the developers' websites where there may be more pictures.

Tough to pinpoint a particular architectural trend here in Indy, although it certainly tends to be low-rise. Some people with more architectural-style experience may be able to speak about it more.

Last edited by CorrND; March 8th, 2006 at 08:36 PM.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #3
EastSider
Fresh Coast

DOWNTOWN MILWAUKEE

According to the City of Milwaukee Housing Development Website:
(might be wrong?)
Downtown Housing

First Place on the River (185 Units)

HarborFront phase II (160 Units total, phase I complete)

Sterling (112 Units)

Marine Terminal Lofts (84 units)

City Green (91 Units)

601 Lofts (80 Units)

River Renaissance (80 Units)

Water Street Lofts (80 )

Union Point (71)

University Club Tower (56)

RiverCrest (40)

Park Terrace Bluff Homes (Overpriced around $450,000)

The Edge (U/C?)

Last edited by EastSider; March 9th, 2006 at 03:57 AM.
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #4
gaviidae

Likes (Received): 0

I'm always extremely impressed with what's happening in Milwaukee. The riverfront development is amazing! I'll definitely have to drive down to make a visit sometime this summer.
gaviidae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #5
Jeff_in_Dayton

So this thread is an excuse for Eastsider to post a bunch of Milwaulkee condo/apt/loft projects.

Yawn.

This thread doesn't tell me much at all about Milwaulkees direction, as i dont see any suburban housing, nor any historical context to show a direction...which impys moving from one place to another.

This stuff could be anywhere, if it wasn't on those great Milwaulkee watefronts...the cities great assett aside from Lake Michigan.
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #6
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Dayton
So this thread is an excuse for Eastsider to post a bunch of Milwaulkee condo/apt/loft projects.

Yawn.

This thread doesn't tell me much at all about Milwaulkees direction, as i dont see any suburban housing, nor any historical context to show a direction...which impys moving from one place to another.

This stuff could be anywhere, if it wasn't on those great Milwaulkee watefronts...the cities great assett aside from Lake Michigan.
I made this thread so I could see new construction in other cities in the Midwest, it's hard to find by just browsing all the threads.

If you have some new ones of Dayton, they'd be cool to see.
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #7
Jeff_in_Dayton

Dayton....LOL...i wish. This is a stagnant to dying city so there is nothing as extensive as is happening in places like Milwaulkee, Twin Cities, Indianapolis, or anywhere else in the Midwest for that matter.

So there is mimial to post, except just a few things.....

Here are some examples of some neighborhood "infill"....

Some newer homes close to Miami Valley Hospital, south of downtown, between said hospital and the University of Dayton campus...part of a neighborhood redevelopement partly sponsored by the hospital. I wish I had more of this area as this is probably the best example of contextual infill in town.

Some infill right across the river from donwtown..this is just a stand-alone unit, not part of a larger project.

Here are some infill housing in an abandoned vacant area, built by a building trades training program affiliated with a charter high school. This is in the "Inner West" area of Dayton, and is proving to be a pretty good attempt at repopulating an "urban prairie" neighborhood that suffered abandondment and demolition....the market here is really just working class folks.

newer next to some older 19th century housing stock.

There are some downtown or near-downtown loft conversions but they are not really new housing, nor do they look new. A fairly large, +/- four block downtown housing project has just been announced, but there are no new renderings of it to post. I am sort of curious to see what it is going to look like.

There are plenty of good sites in Dayton, in-town, for infill, just not the economy to support developement.
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:03 AM   #8
Oshkosh49

Just from the pics of the Milwaukee condo projects above, and not the single family housing project, there are currently at least 1189 condo units under construction in Milwaukee.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #9
MABCLE

From what I see in Cleveland there are lots of new low to midrise condos (with a few high rises waiting for demand) being built, which as I see it could really be built in anywhere,USA. There are developers though building smaller single-family homes that try to be modern while blending into the century old housing stock. There are also lots of rowhouse/townhouse developments and cluster homes that fit into the existing street grid and again are modern, but have a flavor reminiscent of the original housing stock.
MABCLE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #10
D-res
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49
Just from the pics of the Milwaukee condo projects above, and not the single family housing project, there are currently at least 1189 condo units under construction in Milwaukee.

plus the potential of 400 more if that 32 story tower proposed by the developer in north carolina comes to fruition
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #11
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCLE
From what I see in Cleveland there are lots of new low to midrise condos (with a few high rises waiting for demand) being built, which as I see it could really be built in anywhere,USA. There are developers though building smaller single-family homes that try to be modern while blending into the century old housing stock. There are also lots of rowhouse/townhouse developments and cluster homes that fit into the existing street grid and again are modern, but have a flavor reminiscent of the original housing stock.
That would be tight if you could dig up a photo as an example, it sounds like some attractive development.
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #12
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.

some new homes in Gary, Indiana

the duneland development

there are also 123 infill units going up in downtown Gary, called the Horace Mann project, couldn't find any pics.

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #13
columbusguy

There's too many happening in the urban neighborhoods Of columbus and downtown.

Heres the best rundown I know of the residential projects. This list with pictures and information for each is available at
www.downtowncolumbus.com
columbusguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #14
ReddAlert
BANNED

Id like to see more Cleveland stuff---we dont see that city too much on here.
ReddAlert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #15
GBSurveyor

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Dayton
Dayton....LOL...i wish. This is a stagnant to dying city so there is nothing as extensive as is happening in places like Milwaulkee, Twin Cities, Indianapolis, or anywhere else in the Midwest for that matter.

So there is mimial to post, except just a few things.....

Here are some examples of some neighborhood "infill"....

Some newer homes close to Miami Valley Hospital, south of downtown, between said hospital and the University of Dayton campus...part of a neighborhood redevelopement partly sponsored by the hospital. I wish I had more of this area as this is probably the best example of contextual infill in town.
Those first few are some pretty interesting infill structures. Pretty funky...somewhat traditional feel with some contemporary flair...They don't seem to fit the neighborhood very well. Do you see any of this construction in the more suburban areas of Dayton?
GBSurveyor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #16
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusguy
There's too many happening in the urban neighborhoods Of columbus and downtown.
Try limiting it (downtown and new-construction only), it helped me. Where's the Minneapolis pictures? I know theres a lot going on there.
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #17
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 2

Midwest Housing Meltdown

I agree Milwaukee posters are prolific on these threads, why is that?
What's going on housing wise in other cities like:

Saint Paul, MN
Lincoln, NE
Omaha, NE
Des Moines, IA
Cincinnati, OH
Louisville, KY
Little Rock, AR
KC
STL
Detroit
????

In neighborhoods near their respective downtowns???
PUD (Planned Urban Development) is very big, how is it working there? That old Duany-Platter-Zyberg Seaside thing is finally making inroads on edge of town surburbia, is it impacting your town? I think I saw a posting of this for in Indy.
historybuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #18
Jeff_in_Dayton

Quote:
Those first few are some pretty interesting infill structures. Pretty funky...somewhat traditional feel with some contemporary flair...They don't seem to fit the neighborhood very well. Do you see any of this construction in the more suburban areas of Dayton?
. Suburban things are more generic developer stuff.

Here are some more examples from the same neighborhood...

..the one on the far right is infill, the others are old

Townhouses that are take-offs on the Chicago two-flat, a housing type not found in Dayton...so these are very un-contextual for our urban vernacular. Yet they work on the narrow lots.

A modernist "architect" house. I think this was even published in "Dwell" magazine.

I think the one on the far left is infill, made to match the other vernacular houses on the street

...in the Innerwest area, the Wright-Dunbar development is maybe a better attempt to be contextual. This is a real mix of old and new.

One on the left is new, the right, a traditional 19th century Dayton vernacular house..

Wright-Dunbar is an ongoing project...the area is being redeveloped from east to west..the western side still has a lot of vacant space and few abandoned houses...

..they are rebuilding one street/block at a time.

For loft stuff..this building was recently redeveloped....this is part residential loft/part office/light industry.

And this is the next proposed redevelopment...The Mercantile Lofts...aka "The Merc"....includes an old district steam plant...this is also mixed use...loft residential with commercial.

Inside

Some promo stuff from their website

Old March 11th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #19
GBSurveyor

Likes (Received): 16

I really like.
Who is developing those houses??? Being an infill project are they subsidized?What are the prices like?
GBSurveyor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #20
Xing500

St Louis

Metrolink Subway Under Construction-