daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.85 average.
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #501
norra sorgenfri

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicity82 View Post
I noticed you haven't included the famous 'Blue' tower?
I noticed in another thread that you are not a fan of the blue building, so I didn't dare mentioning it Truth be told it was the first tall building to catch my eye when I walked around the city, and to a temporary visitor it's kind of cute from a distance. But I understand it was altered in some not so favourable way some time back, I'm guessing to make it more merry? Would love to se a pic from before the alteration.
norra sorgenfri no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 11th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #502
norra sorgenfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
There are plenty of other Richard III connections, which the visitor centre should make more of.
Agreed.

Before we found the entrance we ended up in the Social Services parking space, and hit the wall of the visitor centre from behind, so to speak. But overall we found the visitor center cleverly executed, re: the new additions to the older building on the site and with the car park discovery integrated.

The bit about the skeleton find, the controversy around it and the image of Richard III and the scientific research was the most interesting I think. The historical bit was a little too conventional and, as you point out, doesn't explore/deepen the connections to local history. Although it's easy enough for the visitor to explore further, it would have been in it's place.
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #503
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by norra sorgenfri View Post
I noticed in another thread that you are not a fan of the blue building, so I didn't dare mentioning it Truth be told it was the first tall building to catch my eye when I walked around the city, and to a temporary visitor it's kind of cute from a distance. But I understand it was altered in some not so favourable way some time back, I'm guessing to make it more merry? Would love to se a pic from before the alteration.
I like the building itself, but not what has been done to it. Hopefully the new darker blue and the removal of the hideous coloured window panels will help.

This is the building before the changes:

Images are from the 'Emporis' website: http://www.emporis.com/building/st-g...united-kingdom
Old August 12th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #504
norra sorgenfri

Quote:
I like the building itself
I see what you mean. The lightness of the building, with the bands of windows, has been lost in transformation. What was it's original use, with the closed tower beside?
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #505
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Agreed.

Before we found the entrance we ended up in the Social Services parking space, and hit the wall of the visitor centre from behind, so to speak. But overall we found the visitor center cleverly executed, re: the new additions to the older building on the site and with the car park discovery integrated.

The bit about the skeleton find, the controversy around it and the image of Richard III and the scientific research was the most interesting I think. The historical bit was a little too conventional and, as you point out, doesn't explore/deepen the connections to local history. Although it's easy enough for the visitor to explore further, it would have been in it's place.
Your experience is how I imagined it would be for a visitor to the city. There was an opportunity before the visitor centre was built, to open up an entrance from New Street.

With a car park and a plot of vacant land at Southgates, there was a real chance to develop something special that tied the Old Town together. Greyfriar's could have been reconnected with the Castle Precinct.

It would also have provided a massive boost for the Greyfriar's area.

Sadly an opportunity missed...
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #506
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
I see what you mean. The lightness of the building, with the bands of windows, has been lost in transformation. What was it's original use, with the closed tower beside?
I think the Post Office and British Telecom have been the previous occupants.
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #507
norra sorgenfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
There was an opportunity before the visitor centre was built, to open up an entrance from New Street.

With a car park and a plot of vacant land at Southgates, there was a real chance to develop something special that tied the Old Town together.
Yes, when we went on the suggested Richard III-walk, we wanted to go that (logical) way but hit a construction site (?). Maybe this is the car park/vacant lot you mention? Instead we had to do a detour - as you point out it would be coherent to link the visitor centre/Greyfriars to the area around the castle. The outlines of the old town seems to have been lost in a typical way, by placing big roads on top of it. What are the plans for this area now, seeing some development going on in the car park/vacant lot between New Street and Southgates? Surely the plans will aim at reconnecting the separated parts of the old town?
Old August 16th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #508
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Quote:
Yes, when we went on the suggested Richard III-walk, we wanted to go that (logical) way but hit a construction site (?). Maybe this is the car park/vacant lot you mention? Instead we had to do a detour - as you point out it would be coherent to link the visitor centre/Greyfriars to the area around the castle. The outlines of the old town seems to have been lost in a typical way, by placing big roads on top of it. What are the plans for this area now, seeing some development going on in the car park/vacant lot between New Street and Southgates? Surely the plans will aim at reconnecting the separated parts of the old town?
This is what is planned in the immediate future:
http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-cou...ge-initiative/

For the Southgates bus depot site itself, are planned student flats! For which most of us in here are not too keen on.
See: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...hp?p=102566997
Old August 17th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #509
norra sorgenfri

Quote:
This is what is planned in the immediate future.
Thanks Leicity82 for the update! It will be interesting to follow this and see what happens up to March next year. There will be some action in this area, with a lot of visitors trying to follow the traces of RIII. In the prospect there is not much talk in terms of stråk (Swedish word, I can't find a good one in English, maybe swath, artery, passage). New walk is a good stråk, a passage you immediately understand leads somewhere even if you're not familiar with it. And there are things to explore along the way + a lot of people, to keep you interested in strolling along. The area around the Cathedral/Greyfriars going Southwest has a potential of becoming an artery/passage not entirely built on commercial but also historic/cultural values. Hope the city takes the opportunity!
Old August 17th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #510
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

New Walk more or less reaches the Old Town when it reaches Welford Place. There was previous talk of expanding it towards the waterside, but not sure how far that will go.
Old August 17th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #511
Refresh01

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Thanks Leicity82 for the update! It will be interesting to follow this and see what happens up to March next year. There will be some action in this area, with a lot of visitors trying to follow the traces of RIII. In the prospect there is not much talk in terms of stråk (Swedish word, I can't find a good one in English, maybe swath, artery, passage). New walk is a good stråk, a passage you immediately understand leads somewhere even if you're not familiar with it. And there are things to explore along the way + a lot of people, to keep you interested in strolling along. The area around the Cathedral/Greyfriars going Southwest has a potential of becoming an artery/passage not entirely built on commercial but also historic/cultural values. Hope the city takes the opportunity!
I think 'boulevard' or promenade is probably the best fit for what you describe. (Like a lot of English words, we've tended to steal them from the French!) As Leicity says, Pocklington's Walk and Greyfriars is a natural extension of New Walk and it has some lovely architecture. The general flow of pedestrian traffic however heads off down Market Street instead, heading towards St Martin's Square (this route too has some nice architecture). I can't see this changing any time soon, especially with the new public square that will be created by removing the old indoor market.
Refresh01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #512
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

New RIII documentary on channel 4 (tonight at 9pm) about research into his lifestyle, etc:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/n...-iiis-skeleton

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: