daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013)

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old November 18th, 2002, 02:49 AM   #1
reidmjohn

Likes (Received): 0

#UC :HILTON HOTEL

All shops bar the three on George Street side have now closed, the hoarding on Pitt Street is very advanced and has nearly covered the monorail track and the hotel closes Friday week - I think its time to start the thread!
reidmjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 18th, 2002, 03:17 AM   #2
finn

Likes (Received): 796

I'm glad they've started with the Pitt St facade - this will probably the last we will ever have to think about those horrendous car ramps!!!

Full speed ahead I say!
finn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 03:39 AM   #3
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 70

I'm so happy ..... I just wanna cry! Good riddence to bad rubbish!
Old November 18th, 2002, 03:57 AM   #4
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 18

Ever since i can remember, the mass of crinkly concrete has, ummmm, errr, graced?, the podium. It is going to be hard to imagine the streetscape without it, but i'll learn quickly (Smilie face also representing the slow stripping back of the podium).
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 04:22 AM   #5
fro

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally posted by museumb
Ever since i can remember, the mass of crinkly concrete has, ummmm, errr, graced?, the podium. It is going to be hard to imagine the streetscape without it, but i'll learn quickly (Smilie face also representing the slow stripping back of the podium).
LOL at the smilely.... Anyway, it's good news. Those hideous ramps are long overdue for some destruction. They should sell tickets to the show...
fro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 05:52 AM   #6
CULWULLA
In the brig

Likes (Received): 1748

took this pic at 2pm today. just happened to glance up and saw a couple of guys abseiling down the facade, probably checking out its condition.

CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 06:05 AM   #7
spazpecker

Thanks again Cul- it has a bit of a World Trade Centre look about it in that perspective.
spazpecker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 06:18 AM   #8
finn

Quote:
Originally posted by spazpecker
Thanks again Cul- it has a bit of a World Trade Centre look about it in that perspective.
RE: WTC - I agree on the comparison...with the exception of the colour. I would have thought the grey of the former WTC was about as dull as you can get, but I think the Brown/Grey/Almost-pinkish of Hilton has it beaten!!
Old November 18th, 2002, 06:29 AM   #9
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:

I wish the Hilton could fall down like the WTC with just Sank Fartor inside it ...
Old November 18th, 2002, 06:37 AM   #10
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

I have some photos of the shopping complex taken just prior to closure. Will make great comparison photos.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 07:30 AM   #11
finn

Quote:
Originally posted by SinCity

I wish the Hilton could fall down like the WTC with just Sank Fartor inside it ...
Seriously, nobody needs to be concerned about Sartor anymore - he will likely only be Mayor till next March, and if he doesn't end up being an MP for Rockdale, he will retire from being Mayor in September anyway!

It's time to move on to being concerned about what the next Mayor may be like!
Old November 18th, 2002, 08:11 AM   #12
spazpecker

Frank was a fantastic mayor IMO !
He introduced 'Living Sydney', major pre-Olympics infrastructure projects, design competitions and attracted a massive amount of PR and investment for the CBD with his streamlining of 'red tape' , his strategy implementation, outspoken opinions, visions and ability to get things done !

He was instrumental in enforcing the height limits throughtout the CBD which has had many benefits for the 'look' of the skyline and for those who work and live amongst it.
As skyscraper fans all of us were pissed about some 'talls' that were knocked on the head but that alone shouldn't smear his record.

It appears Lucy Turnbull , wife of Malcolm, is odds on for his job.
A red herrring is Paul Keating, who was mentioned in the weekend media as a contender !!!!
Old November 18th, 2002, 10:47 AM   #13
finn

Quote:
Frank was a fantastic mayor IMO !
He introduced 'Living Sydney', major pre-Olympics infrastructure projects, design competitions and attracted a massive amount of PR and investment for the CBD with his streamlining of 'red tape' , his strategy implementation, outspoken opinions, visions and ability to get things done !

He was instrumental in enforcing the height limits throughtout the CBD which has had many benefits for the 'look' of the skyline and for those who work and live amongst it.
As skyscraper fans all of us were pissed about some 'talls' that were knocked on the head but that alone shouldn't smear his record.

It appears Lucy Turnbull , wife of Malcolm, is odds on for his job.
A red herrring is Paul Keating, who was mentioned in the weekend media as a contender !!!!
Yeah, I think Sartor has done fantastic job as well. Not only has he introduced reforms like "Living City" which have been such a benefit to the CBD, but he has also taken the level of design assessment of proposals put forward for development to the level of an art.

Requiring compulsory design competitions for new developments is a fantastic requirement.

And besides all this, he has managed the City of Sydney all the way from the Olympic bidding, to steering through the preparations, hosting the games, and then continuing for the next couple of years!

Just think of what a makeover the CBD has had in the time he's been in office!

Anyway, I hope he will succeed in his move on to bigger things with the State Government - Rockdale really needs someone with experience like his in the assessment of developments and maintenance of quality, considering the debacle with the previous council!!

And Lucy Turnbull as the Deputy Mayor will take over from Sartor when he leaves his post in March, and she will carry through to the next local government elections in September, then on to the next term if elected.

Has anyone heard much about her? What is she like? I know her great-grandfather (or maybe it was just grandfather) was once a Mayor of Sydney.
Old November 19th, 2002, 01:45 AM   #14
jcocks
Sleep is for wimps :)

They've already got one crane on site (on the roof of the hotel), I saw some guys looking at the hilton sign on the top of the building...(Didn't get photos of the guys unfortunately, but I did get a photo of the crane poking up over the facade)

They're also putting together a crane on the pitt st side of the building...

Photos at 6! :-)
jcocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2002, 03:40 AM   #15
spazpecker

Wow, thanks.
Must do a CBD crane count ! Be something like 20 now which is the most I've seen in the CBD in my time here.
Old November 19th, 2002, 06:32 AM   #16
Fabian

Guys the hotel closes on Sunday! Only 5 days to go.

Glad to seeing it getting a much needed facelift.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old November 19th, 2002, 01:59 PM   #17
jcocks
Sleep is for wimps :)

Here are some pics to bring joy to the hearts of men (and the occasional woman too)... :-)

The soon-to-be crane on the pitt st side of the building. Part of the tower the crane is going to sit atop is already in place, if you look closely.. The rest of the crane is in pieces.

I really don't think they're going to waste any time on this project.....

jcocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2002, 02:39 PM   #18
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 18

....and if you look closely, the workmen are sitting on their lazy butts!!

From one fugly to another. 201 Elizabeth Street (Pacific Power) concretey bits looking down at The Hilton. Nice view.

Let's see if they can do what they have to to The Hilton without changing its big-city feeling.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 02:44 AM   #19
finn

A blurb from today's AFR locked sites:

Check-out time approaches for Hilton (pad-lock )

As the last guests in Sydney's dowager Hilton Hotel check out, most are unaware that the hotel's contents are following them out the door, readying the building for a $200 million rebuild. By Lisa Allen (Nov 20) » Full report
Old November 20th, 2002, 07:13 AM   #20
Fabian

Yes, I can see the two men having a bludge

I haven't seen a crane like that in a development since the late 60's according to pictures of buildings under construction at the time.

The old and the new meet.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks