search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > KiwiScrapers

KiwiScrapers Kia Kaha » Auckland | Wellington | Christchurch | Hamilton | Regional Cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2017, 03:27 AM   #361
honeybear

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexjc View Post
Very much so and Hokitika also has the Airport. It is a longshot though. Turning and service facilities need to go back in. Greymouth has always been the region's rail hub.
Don't know that you do need turning and servicing facilities at hoki. I suspect if hoki was added, the crew and locos bringing in from the midland line would sign off at grey and another 2 dixies (back to back) and new crew added for the run to hoki and back. no need to service or turn - just run around the carriages.
honeybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2017, 04:05 AM   #362
Kiweh

Likes (Received): 168

Surely a turntable can't be too difficult and/or costly...
Kiweh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #363
birchey

Likes (Received): 64

I can't see a move away from Greymouth to Hokitika.Currently a lot of tourists arrive at CIAL get the Tranz Alpine to Greymouth, pick up their rental car and away they go, or vice versa they drop off their rental car in Greymouth and get the train back to Christchurch. Rental car agents all have branches in Greymouth and to relocate to Hokitika would be a big cost to them.
Another wee dream would be a tourist train from Granity, north of Westport to Hokitika, seasonal of course and maybe to take advantage of the proposed road from Nelson to Karamea. Now that would be a great route for a train, especially if it was pulled by a steam train.

jarden liked this post
birchey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #364
KaneD

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchey View Post
I can't see a move away from Greymouth to Hokitika.Currently a lot of tourists arrive at CIAL get the Tranz Alpine to Greymouth, pick up their rental car and away they go, or vice versa they drop off their rental car in Greymouth and get the train back to Christchurch. Rental car agents all have branches in Greymouth and to relocate to Hokitika would be a big cost to them.
Another wee dream would be a tourist train from Granity, north of Westport to Hokitika, seasonal of course and maybe to take advantage of the proposed road from Nelson to Karamea. Now that would be a great route for a train, especially if it was pulled by a steam train.
Now that is thinking Birchey... Good idea!
KaneD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #365
greenwelly

Likes (Received): 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchey View Post
maybe to take advantage of the proposed road from Nelson to Karamea. .
Under the current government, and particularly under a Green conservation Minister there is no way permission is going to be granted to build a new road through a National park
greenwelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #366
jarden

Likes (Received): 786

Also under the current Government all mining will be banned as well.
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #367
JeffRef

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwelly View Post
Under the current government, and particularly under a Green conservation Minister there is no way permission is going to be granted to build a new road through a National park
I doubt if that would happen anyway. You would need a sound economic reason to build an expensive road through what is quite rugged country. A dozen bus loads of tourists and a couple of hundred cars would not qualify for a project that would cost hundreds of millions..

Kiweh, KaneD liked this post
JeffRef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #368
Kiweh

Likes (Received): 168

No thanks...I would hate to see the costs of a road through there. I'd rather see improvements made to Arthur's and Lewis Pass.
Kiweh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #369
KaneD

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiweh View Post
No thanks...I would hate to see the costs of a road through there. I'd rather see improvements made to Arthur's and Lewis Pass.
I would think that there would be FAR more cost benefit in making substantial upgrades to the existing roads first...

The two perennial "new road" proposals of Hollyford Hwy and Kahurangi Hwy I don't think could ever be justified as taxpayer funded projects as neither road really presents itself as a trunk route between key destinations and are really nothing but tourist highways. If those two projects were to ever get off the ground, they would certainly require significant tolling, and probably need to operate as a private venture - much like the various options for linking Queenstown to Milford Sound.

The problem is that you need to ask exactly who the roads benefit... Yes, a Kahurangi Road would boost business opportunities in places like Karamea, Granity and Takaka... but if it's going come at the expense of places like Murchison, then the net benefit is really zero. As much as Karamea residents might want to woo the government into supporting such a project, they're equally likely to get opponents to it. A Hollyford highway will certainly please those in places like Haast, and the Glacier towns, but not so much Te Anau.

And there in lies the problem... For a government to support such a road it would have to add significant additional economic activity rather than simply moving the existing activity from one place to another. Neither road provides travel time efficiency gains for significant catchments of population or transport of goods.

The only real significant benefit to these such roads is simply to provide tourists a few more routes to take... They may be able to see more of NZ in the same time, or the same amount of NZ in less time - Of course it would come at significant cost... Would a tourist pay say $20-$100 to travel a road over the Kahurangi which is longer when there is a perfectly viable free road... even if they perhaps don't get to see places like Golden Bay or Karamea? I suspect very few would want to pay. More people might perhaps pay the steep fee for the Hollyford Road because Milford Sound is already a massive tourist drawcard anyway, as are the Glaciers... but whether "enough" tourists will pay the fee is questionable.

I would think that if you're going to spend perhaps many hundreds of millions of dollars on Kahurangi and Hollyford roads, you'd be far better in upgrading sections of roads like Arthurs Pass, Lewis Pass, Hundalee Hills, Hope Saddle, Buller Gorge, Takaka Hill, Haast Pass and others... make them straighter, ease curves, add wider shoulders, more passing lanes, even perhaps a tunnel or two... This would be money MUCH better spent which not only benefits tourists, but locals as well.

birchey, Kiweh liked this post
KaneD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:39 AM   #370
birchey

Likes (Received): 64

Pretty much agree with all you say there. First petition I ever signed at high school way back in the 70's was against the building of a new road through the Heaphy Track. My view point hasn't changed since then either.

KaneD liked this post
birchey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
infrastructure, railways