daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM   #1121
Panteran

Likes (Received): 13

Ahh yes, those darn kickers. Theme today seems to be them. Lets hope the title game doesn't come down to missed field goals like that (though I would bet my money on it!). Lol...very entertaining games most were relatively close till the end with endless scoring.
Panteran no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:38 AM   #1122
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

And Florida beats Ohio State ... again.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:11 PM   #1123
Durhamite

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
And Florida beats Ohio State ... again.
As Urban Meyer says, "not so fast my friend"...I do sense a huge shift in the CFB powerhouse landscape as schools are upping the ante to get better coaches, the next 10 years will not look like this decade, playoffs coming no later than 2015 in my opinion.
Durhamite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1124
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durhamite View Post
As Urban Meyer says, "not so fast my friend"...I do sense a huge shift in the CFB powerhouse landscape as schools are upping the ante to get better coaches, the next 10 years will not look like this decade, playoffs coming no later than 2015 in my opinion.
Well, I hope you're right about the playoffs. However, I suspect that Meyer will not replicate his magic with OSU.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:48 PM   #1125
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2747

Does yesterday's loss mean Mark Richt is once again on the hot seat?.

UGA will probably be a favorite to win the SEC East in 2012, mostly because of the lack of Bama, LSU, and Arkansas on their schedule.

Speaking of Schedules, this is what Bama's will look like for 2012.

9/1 Michigan @Dallas
9/8 Western Kentucky
9/15 @Arkansas
9/22 Florida Atlantic
9/29 Mississippi
10/6 BYE
10/13 @Missouri
10/20 @Tennessee
10/27 Mississippi State
11/3 @LSU
11/10 Texas A&M
11/17 Western Carolina
11/24 Auburn
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #1126
dave8721

Likes (Received): 6385

Quote:
Well, I hope you're right about the playoffs. However, I suspect that Meyer will not replicate his magic with OSU.
Depends what you mean by replicating his magic. Ohio State generally has superior talent to the rest of the B1G year in and year out so if he is willing to put in the time and effort to be a great coach like he used to (big if) than he shouldn't have much trouble building them back into a team that dominates that conference and plays in a few BCS title games pretty soon. Actually winning those title games would rely on his being able to bring his former Gators caliber players up north to Ohio State (little speed guys that thrive in his system and a transcendent QB).
dave8721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1127
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Depends what you mean by replicating his magic. Ohio State generally has superior talent to the rest of the B1G year in and year out so if he is willing to put in the time and effort to be a great coach like he used to (big if) than he shouldn't have much trouble building them back into a team that dominates that conference and plays in a few BCS title games pretty soon. Actually winning those title games would rely on his being able to bring his former Gators caliber players up north to Ohio State (little speed guys that thrive in his system and a transcendent QB).
I doubt it. Meyer's a shell. A burned-out cinder.
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #1128
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

You think Muschamp is a better coach than Urban Meyer?
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #1129
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82
I think he is basically saying that its doubtful if Urban Meyer can match what he did at Florida.

Muschamp might be worse than Ron Zook before its said and done.
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #1130
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
I don't know. But then I don't think he really needs to be. A successful coach needs to wear many hats. A sort of general practitioner. And somebody who will stick around and is not afraid of having a heart attack if Alabama beats him one time.

My feeling is that Muschamp is just what Florida needs. He cannot, repeat: CANNOT be held accountable for this season's 7-6 record. By his own admission, Meyer left the program in shambles. Muschamp inherited a team with just 74 scholarship players and 11 more left in rapid order. The cupboard was bare. This was likely the worst Florida team in 31 years, no thanks to Meyer. Bill Belichick wouldn't have done any better with it than Muschamp did.
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #1131
Durhamite

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
I don't know. But then I don't think he really needs to be. A successful coach needs to wear many hats. A sort of general practitioner. And somebody who will stick around and is not afraid of having a heart attack if Alabama beats him one time.

My feeling is that Muschamp is just what Florida needs. He cannot, repeat: CANNOT be held accountable for this season's 7-6 record. By his own admission, Meyer left the program in shambles. Muschamp inherited a team with just 74 scholarship players and 11 more left in rapid order. The cupboard was bare. This was likely the worst Florida team in 31 years, no thanks to Meyer. Bill Belichick wouldn't have done any better with it than Muschamp did.
You're living in a fantansy land. Meyers is a proven good HEAD coach and can win anywhere....say um Utah. Muschamp hasn't done anything but ride the jock of Mack Brown. Not saying Muschamp won't get it done but it's highly unlikely given that Florida State and Miami now have good coaches and recruiting will be a war.

Meyer will win at Ohio State and be in the championship hunt each year. Watch the buzzards start circling (prediction from last year in this thread) with one more 8-4 or 7-5 season in Gainesville....just a matter of time. I don't see the Gators beating FSU for quite sometime.

For reference, I said it then (scroll to bottom of page 28 and top of page 29):

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...949806&page=28
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...949806&page=29

One more year for Musty if those numbers aren't around 9-11 wins.

Last edited by Durhamite; January 4th, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Durhamite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #1132
Stuck in Bama

Im sorry but the days of Ohio State being the king of the B10 are over. They lost to the worst UF team in my lifetime.

With Wisconsin, Michigan State, Nebraska and now even Michigan on the rebound, Ohio State will not bounce back like everyone wishes it would.
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1133
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale

But UF had a good team coming in the season, and should of won a couple of games it lost (Auburn and UGA, and maybe even FSU). Have you found an OC yet?.
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1134
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
My feeling is that Muschamp is just what Florida needs. He cannot, repeat: CANNOT be held accountable for this season's 7-6 record. By his own admission, Meyer left the program in shambles. Muschamp inherited a team with just 74 scholarship players and 11 more left in rapid order. The cupboard was bare.
Sorry, but I call BS on this theory. Paul Johnson inherited a Ga Tech side and put into place a radically different offense but churned out 9 wins in his first season. Was the turnover a factor for UF? Sure, and it's not like UF played a completely soft schedule. But suggesting the "cupboard was bare" at FLORIDA!! is a non-starter given their 2-deep roster features athletes who'd likely start at many other schools.

I'm not disparaging Muschamp or you, and it may all be down to the transition, but let's not delve into anything suggesting woe and pity is due to Gator program. In the pantheon of college athletes these are kids capable of understanding the situation and still finding a reason to play. That's why they went to a large program like UF. If they lost more than they expected, then the quality of the other teams or the shortcomings of their own talent came into play.
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1135
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Feel bad for VT. They outplayed Michigan but simply choked in the red zone. Other random thoughts.

- I can live with Coale's catch being called incomplete, but weren't there two other reviews last night where the results suggested otherwise? Consistency in officiating can be as important as getting it right one time.

- Is Denard Robinson the luckiest QB at a major program? Dude throws some total ducks that somehow bring out moments of ineptitude from the d-backs. Felt this way in the Wolverine's games with OSU and MSU, as well. Verily, he's from the Tebow school of accurate passing!

- Props to the Hokie kicker. First game as starter is the Sugar Bowl, makes 4 of 5 FG attempts to keep the team alive till the end.

On a personal note, I've lost four games in my pool. 3 of them featured teams that were the better side during regulation but lost in OT (Georgia Tech, Georgia, VT). This is why God invented alcohol.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #1136
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
But UF had a good team coming in the season, and should of won a couple of games it lost (Auburn and UGA, and maybe even FSU). Have you found an OC yet?.
Yes, Florida should have beaten Auburn and UGA. No, Florida did not have a good team. As previously mentioned, the roster was WAY down on scholarship players, defense was young, worst O-Line in years and Brantley was a bust at quarterback. It was an unmitigated disaster.

OC should be named this week. Just hired a stud for strength & conditioning. Formerly at LSU and Appy State. Florida will become a hardnosed team over the next couple of years, closer in personna to Bama than the Urban Meyer teams.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1137
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Sorry, but I call BS on this theory. Paul Johnson inherited a Ga Tech side and put into place a radically different offense but churned out 9 wins in his first season. Was the turnover a factor for UF? Sure, and it's not like UF played a completely soft schedule. But suggesting the "cupboard was bare" at FLORIDA!! is a non-starter given their 2-deep roster features athletes who'd likely start at many other schools.

I'm not disparaging Muschamp or you, and it may all be down to the transition, but let's not delve into anything suggesting woe and pity is due to Gator program. In the pantheon of college athletes these are kids capable of understanding the situation and still finding a reason to play. That's why they went to a large program like UF. If they lost more than they expected, then the quality of the other teams or the shortcomings of their own talent came into play.
Had Johnson inherited a team which was: (1) gutted of scholarship players (2) with worst O-Line in decades (3) with worst quarterback in decades (3) with over half the team freshman/sophomores ... then I'd be more inclined to take your theory seriously.

For the record, I expect Muschamp to be a better coach (in a tougher conference) than Johnson. GT puts up gaudy numbers but tends to disappear in big games.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #1138
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Had Johnson inherited a team which was: (1) gutted of scholarship players (2) with worst O-Line in decades (3) with worst quarterback in decades (3) with over half the team freshman/sophomores ... then I'd be more inclined to take your theory seriously.
Johnson's team was shy of schollie players (4 going on 8), featured a QB and O-line not familiar with the triple option, and was heavy w/sophomores. I never said Tech's experience was typical, but considering UF is supposed to be one of those programs that "doesn't rebuild, it reloads" I find it funny to hear of their roster sounding so devoid of talent. Especially when AA teams get by with what, 63 scholarships?

Quote:
For the record, I expect Muschamp to be a better coach (in a tougher conference) than Johnson. GT puts up gaudy numbers but tends to disappear in big games.
Since you needed to stroke the SEC ego.... that same tougher conference is supposed to endear those programs to the top talent, no? Especially the marquee program within that conference's best state for recruiting, coming off a pair of recent national titles. Verily, Muschamp had better succeed given the built in advantage of being the coach at UF (the same reason Meyer chose UF over ND), or he'll be run out of town. I'd also invite Muschamp to try recruiting such talent to a school like GT, which has a fraction of the majors available at a general flagship institution like UF.

I've no delusions about Tech's place in the cfb pecking order, but that same sense also knows UF's "woes" are the envy of many a football program around the country. Count your blessings.
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1139
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Johnson's team was shy of schollie players (4 going on 8), featured a QB and O-line not familiar with the triple option, and was heavy w/sophomores. I never said Tech's experience was typical, but considering UF is supposed to be one of those programs that "doesn't rebuild, it reloads" I find it funny to hear of their roster sounding so devoid of talent. Especially when AA teams get by with what, 63 scholarships?

Since you needed to stroke the SEC ego.... that same tougher conference is supposed to endear those programs to the top talent, no? Especially the marquee program within that conference's best state for recruiting, coming off a pair of recent national titles. Verily, Muschamp had better succeed given the built in advantage of being the coach at UF (the same reason Meyer chose UF over ND), or he'll be run out of town. I'd also invite Muschamp to try recruiting such talent to a school like GT, which has a fraction of the majors available at a general flagship institution like UF.

I've no delusions about Tech's place in the cfb pecking order, but that same sense also knows UF's "woes" are the envy of many a football program around the country. Count your blessings.
I can see you're digging in here. No, GT was not as scollie-short as Florida was. I see you did not suggest that GT players were bad, only that they had to learn a new system. Finally, of course you'd expect SEC programs to draw top-shelf talent. That's what so accentuates the mess that Muschamp inherited, the 2010 Florida team is uncharacteristically short of it.
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1140
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale

Yes, Florida should have beaten Auburn and UGA. No, Florida did not have a good team. As previously mentioned, the roster was WAY down on scholarship players, defense was young, worst O-Line in years and Brantley was a bust at quarterback. It was an unmitigated disaster.

OC should be named this week. Just hired a stud for strength & conditioning. Formerly at LSU and Appy State. Florida will become a hardnosed team over the next couple of years, closer in personna to Bama than the Urban Meyer teams.
I would be so sure if I would call John Brantley a bust. His first year was in a system he has never played in, and his second season was below average due to injury.

I think Auburn, State, Tennessee, and Ole Miss would of loved to have a somewhat healthy Brantley rather than the QB's they had.

I wasnt aware recruiting had fallen off at UF, but I think the change going from the spread option to a pro set on offense had more to do with how the season turned out. The Defense played very well.

Tags
acc, akansas, auburn, bama, clemson, football, ga tech, georgia, kentucky, lsu, memphis state, miss state, nc state, odu, oklahoma, ole miss, osu, sec, southeast college, tenn, uab, unc, uwv, virginia