daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Transport and Infrastructure

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:26 AM   #1
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 262

Cape West International Airport

Just showed up on the web. Not sure how serious the developers are, but I do know the Province does want another airport somewhere up the West Coast, particularly one that is cargo focused: To service the growth of the Salhanha IDZ.

PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT OF A NEW INTERNATIONAL PASSENGER AND CARGO AIRPORT BETWEEN MELKBOS AND ATLANTIS, CAPE TOWN, WESTERN CAPE

THE NEW SELF-SUSTAINABLE AND PRIVATE SECTOR DEVELOPED & OWNED COMMERCIALLY MANAGED “SMART AVIATION HUB” OF THE WESTERN CAPE – AS THE IDEAL FUTURE REGIONAL TO INTERNATIONAL TOURISM, EXECUTIVE, CORPORATE, LEISURE, ADVENTURE, SPORT, CULTURAL TRAVEL AND INLAND CARGO PORT EPICENTRE FOR THE NORTH-WESTERN METRO OF CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA.

CapeWest Gateway & International Airport is not intended to compete with the Cape Town International Airport (CTIA), but rather to augment and complement it functionally during the unprecedented growth in the budget aviation carrier, executive and corporate jet, private aircraft as well as in the import / export cargo airfreight markets in the next decade.

The ancillary land uses and development strategies aims to stimulate large regional growth with economic and social up-liftment for the West Coast and North-Western Metro, including the historically marginalized communities of Atlantis / Mamre and surrounding hinterland.

Further powerful development initiatives for integrated development in parallel with the airport currently under consideration could potentially include the establishment of a new Western Cape Free Trade Zone (FTZ) and Industrial Development Zone (IDZ).

There have also been indications and preliminary commitments to establish the formal home and permanent facilities for the proposed Cape Town Formula One: Grand Prix Race Track as well as the establishment of a new “Business City” within the CapeWest Gateway Park.

The CapeWest Gateway & International Airport, including the physical and virtual environment, is directed to the total demographic of the Greater Cape Town Metropolitan Area. This is proposed by way of its unique combination and integration of the various mixed uses, powerful destinational tendencies and speciality themes, as well as its significance for the region from an accessibility, export / import value, variety, entertainment, travel, tourism and leisure relevance. www.cwia.co.za
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Lydon
wow

Likes (Received): 1482

Very interesting!

Thanks for the add
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:46 PM   #3
ToxicBunny
BOFH Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 40

Very interesting....

I don't see something like this happening anytime soon tbh, simply due to the economic pressures, but its still interesting that people are thinking of things like this.
ToxicBunny está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:03 PM   #4
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 211

Interesting to see that people are looking into alternatives, but it would need to be positioned as a replacement of CTIA for it to really have any merit.

And sorry but the website looks like a teens bedroom dream up.

I think there is potential in MOVING CTIA to another location, i cant see two competing and both making money any time soon
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM   #5
annman
Annman

I don't think its success can be completely ruled out. It all depends on the success of the Atlantis turnaround strategy and development plan and the Saldanha IDZ. The province are planning very big things for the R27 West Coast corridor and these plans are progressing fast.

I agree the website looks like it got set up in 30mins, but I do know the WCape Provincial Government is looking at aviation alternatives up the West Coast. I do not foresee another "fully fledged" international passenger airport being viable in the next 15 years or so, but if the industrial development goes according to plan, a cargo airport may become viable in the mid- to long-term.

Also, FutureCape, CTRU, AccelerateCapeTown, the EDA and the PGWC-DEDAT are poising to push Cape Town to be a more business focused destination, pushing the current 3% business arrivals up to international best-practice and sustainable levels of 30%. This could also affect the sustainability of another airport.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 48

IDZ first, airport dreams second.

It's going to be hard enough getting the IDZ through but strangely there has only been positive comment from government.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM   #7
annman
Annman

True, the PGWC has really changed their tune. From being a more cautionary government to being much more ambitious.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:39 PM   #8
Mo Rush

I tweeted that we fully back your Partnership. Heard there was some sort of meeting in Worcester..?

Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Lydon
wow

Here's a render:

It seems they're also looking at operating an airline out of this airport.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM   #10
annman
Annman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
I tweeted that we fully back your Partnership. Heard there was some sort of meeting in Worcester..?
Not that I was invited to (if a private meeting?). I have the full "Atlantis-style" plan and MayCo/Provincial Cabinet Resolution presentation, but can't get in to meet the MayCo to show it and get it ratified. Unless, the meeting they speak of is the WECBOF-OmegaInvest-PGWC-DEDAT Western Cape Business Roadshow?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM   #11
pdutoit

Likes (Received): 0

Something is wrong here. Why do the vehicles in the render go in the wrong direction (even on the cwia.co.za website header)? Why are the planes non-South African? Do a search in Google for "Cape West International Airport" and all websites and references look suspicious and seem to be added by minors (?)

Why is there no official mention of this proposed airport found anywhere?

The site's email contacts are: arno@jazznet.co.za and ns-jazz@live.co.za. (http://co.za/cgi-bin/whois.sh?Domain=cwia&Enter=Enter)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but given all the current evidence, this looks like a hoax.

Last edited by pdutoit; August 23rd, 2011 at 11:46 AM.
pdutoit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Lydon
wow

They also have quite a few websites:

http://www.aerosun.co.za/
http://www.m-g8.co.za/

The above two are supposedly in a joint venture, forming http://www.backafrica.co.za

But then what's this?

http://www.jetsetter.co.za/

Seems a bit weird indeed. The presentations on their website are also password protected.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM   #13
annman
Annman

Thus me questioning the seriousness in the initial post. Those are very suspect issues indeed. I do know that there is a want for a West Coast airport sometime in the future, but would be no surprise to me if these were not the legitimate plans. Only time will tell.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:06 PM   #14
Lydon
wow

M-G8 Group's offices are supposedly in the BCD Travel suite at 21 Blaauwberg Road. Random.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
Here's a render:

It seems they're also looking at operating an airline out of this airport.
Why does everything "capewest" come from 1 website..?

http://www.backafrica.com/

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:53 PM   #16
pdutoit

Likes (Received): 0

I also struggle to fit the render with the first top-down image. The terminals do not correspond, and there seem to be two runways in the render. Can you fit it in?
pdutoit no está en línea   Reply With Quote