SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Liverpool in the media

Tags
media
3M views 22K replies 464 participants last post by  westisbest 
#1 ·
This thread is for representations of Liverpool in the media and any issues raised by how the city is represented.

As I write, there is a piece on Radio 4's Today programme about the UNESCO visit to Liverpool, and the danger of the city losing its WHS if it goes ahead with the museum.

The key narrative appears to be: Can the city remain faithful to its past whilst growing?

I have to say that it is an informed, balanced piece.

It ended with a statement to the effect that if UNESCO doesn't accept the arguments by LCC, EH, CABE, Liverpool might have to contemplate pulling out of the WHS club.

What do you think?

#4,741 ·
From the Independent -

Cities in local TV running revealed

Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt today announced the 65 locations which are in the running to launch the local TV services which he has championed.

The towns and cities - which have been chosen because they have the appropriate transmitter coverage - will be whittled down to around 20 by the end of the year.

Each of the areas will now be asked to make the case for why their town should be among those awarded a licence by Ofcom, with the first wave due next year.
The identified locations are:

:: Liverpool (includes St Helens, Widnes, Wigan and Wirral)
Full article here - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/cities-in-local-tv-running-revealed-2334358.html

#4,743 ·
It was very early this morning, I was very tired, but I "heard" an interview on Radio 4's Today this morning with a community person from Liverpool about last night's disorder. From the time being given (to what seems to have been relatively small-scale disorder) obviously there was an agenda at work. The interviewer was quite aggressively pushing a line, through leading questions, that the Liverpool disorder was somehow more profound, more social, than the mere looting in London. She was creating a "Toxeth Riots 2" narrative. The interviewer seemd to be fishing for a story, that these poor savages were rebelling in their impoverished northern prison-state, and it wasn't just a bunch of parasitical arsehole inadequates shitting in their own back yard.

Anyone else here it? I'd had about 3 hours sleep so wasn't paying a lot of attention.

#4,744 ·
It was very early this morning, I was very tired, but I "heard" an interview on Radio 4's Today this morning with a community person from Liverpool about last night's disorder. From the time being given (to what seems to have been relatively small-scale disorder) obviously there was an agenda at work. The interviewer was quite aggressively pushing a line, through leading questions, that the Liverpool disorder was somehow more profound, more social, than the mere looting in London. She was creating a "Toxeth Riots 2" narrative. The interviewer seemd to be fishing for a story, that these poor savages were rebelling in their impoverished northern prison-state, and it wasn't just a bunch of parasitical arsehole inadequates shitting in their own back yard.

Anyone else here it? I'd had about 3 hours sleep so wasn't paying a lot of attention.
Wow! It sounds like she did have a point.

#4,746 ·
Bangor and Mold in running for community TV
Aug 10 2011

MORE than 110,000 people across North Wales could be watching new “hyper-local” TV stations within four years, Jeremy Hunt has said.

The Culture Secretary yesterday published a list of 65 towns and cities across the UK that are in the running for their own dedicated channels.

They include Bangor, serving up to 22,000 households, and Mold – also covering Denbigh and Ruthin – with up to 89,000 homes.
Broadcasting watchdog Ofcom will decide on a first batch of 20 channels to be running by 2013, with bigger places like Liverpool tipped to be included.
Source - Daily Post North Wales

#4,750 ·
Thanks I'll look out for that,OMD open the venue in September,I would've loved to have been there.
I've read the piece now. some people, like Wylie are against the reopening (or at least calling it Eric's) while Andy McCluskey is fine with it.

What comes across is the importance of the venue. Probably more important than the Cavern in the sense that these late 70s bands had nowhere else to go it seems - the early 60s bands from what I've read had dozens of venues to play at. Without Eric's we may never have had the Teardrops, Bunnymen etc.

#4,751 ·
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/08/17/canals.carbon.transport/index.html?iref=allsearch

This has just been broadcast on CNN. The main thrust of it is that Peel's plans for the re-development of the Manchester Ship Canal are wonderfully green as they will take countless trucks of the road. I can't see how it will actually benefit Liverpool, although it seems like it will be good for Halton

Just before this report was shown there was another by the same reporter, Nick Glass, about the Museum of Liverpool and it's green credentials, i.e. the power generation plant in the nearby former Great Western train shed. It had some attractive shots of the interior and of the waterfront. Unfortunately, I can't yet find the video on CNN's website.

In his report, Glass says that Liverpudlians already have a nickname for the new museum: the deckchair. Is that correct?

#4,756 ·
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/08/17/canals.carbon.transport/index.html?iref=allsearch

This has just been broadcast on CNN. The main thrust of it is that Peel's plans for the re-development of the Manchester Ship Canal are wonderfully green as they will take countless trucks of the road. I can't see how it will actually benefit Liverpool, although it seems like it will be good for Halton

Just before this report was shown there was another by the same reporter, Nick Glass, about the Museum of Liverpool and it's green credentials, i.e. the power generation plant in the nearby former Great Western train shed. It had some attractive shots of the interior and of the waterfront. Unfortunately, I can't yet find the video on CNN's website.

In his report, Glass says that Liverpudlians already have a nickname for the new museum: the deckchair. Is that correct?
Liverpool will benefits as the containers will enter Liverpool first. The canal is vastly under used. Many companies could setup at any point on the canal have their own sea berth. The canal can take some quite large ships.

Fiddlers Ferry power station should be been on the opposite bank, on the canal, then coal would have been shipped direct, instead of via Liverpool.

#4,758 ·
Liverpool will benefits as the containers will enter Liverpool first. The canal is vastly under used. Many companies could setup at any point on the canal have their own sea berth. The canal can take some quite large ships.

Fiddlers Ferry power station should be been on the opposite bank, on the canal, then coal would have been shipped direct, instead of via Liverpool.
Or coal should have been dug out of the ground and not needed to be shipped halfway across the planet...

#4,759 ·
The BBC's website reports that an outfit called Yourtv is interested in running the proposed Liverpool area local station, amongst other locations.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14561006.

Yourtv's website is here: www.thisisyourtv.co.uk. It is Birmingham based.
Great news!

I hope it works, and doesn't die like Channel One and L!VE TV. The BBC article says they would like to operate stations in Liverpool, Birmingham, Stoke, and Sheffield so hopefully that means they will have more chance in gaining some national advertising, which will keep the stations alive :)

#4,760 ·
We must be aware that our usual friends in Whitehall need to be borne in mind.

The culture department's (DCMS) "Pioneer Locations" document, published this month, states that, "Given the factors listed above, it is highly likely that the largest conurbations will be licensed in the first tranche; we anticipate this will include London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast."

Helloo! We're twice the size of half of that lot.