SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Liverpool in the media

Tags
media
3M views 22K replies 464 participants last post by  westisbest 
#1 ·
This thread is for representations of Liverpool in the media and any issues raised by how the city is represented.

As I write, there is a piece on Radio 4's Today programme about the UNESCO visit to Liverpool, and the danger of the city losing its WHS if it goes ahead with the museum.

The key narrative appears to be: Can the city remain faithful to its past whilst growing?

I have to say that it is an informed, balanced piece.

It ended with a statement to the effect that if UNESCO doesn't accept the arguments by LCC, EH, CABE, Liverpool might have to contemplate pulling out of the WHS club.

What do you think?

#5,765 ·
#5,766 ·
The BBC's high school drama "Waterloo Road"'s new series begins soon. It features a Liverpool family, the Barrys. Mum and dad (in jail) and 3 children, 2 of whom are in a Pupil Referral Unit.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-entertainment/echo-entertainment//2013/01/07/waterloo-road-actress-abby-mavers-on-why-the-show-s-new-liverpool-family-will-change-stereotypes-100252-32561988/2/
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!!!!
the show’s new Liverpool family will change stereotypes
Hmm, sure it will :lol:

#5,767 ·
Mud sticks.....end of, no matter what happens with this 'family' people will only remember the Dad being an armed robber!
I've complained to the BBC about it, I'm fed up with it but no doubt nothing will happen, they probably already have my complaint stamped, wringing Scou......you know the rest.

#5,768 ·
Mud sticks.....end of, no matter what happens with this 'family' people will only remember the Dad being an armed robber!
I've complained to the BBC about it, I'm fed up with it but no doubt nothing will happen, they probably already have my complaint stamped, winging Scou......you know the rest.

#5,771 ·
Did anybody watch last week's episode of Waterloo Road?

Judging by what I saw on it, it's hardly changing stereotypes positively. As somebody has already mentioned the father of the family was an armed robber, the son is doing dodgy scams in the school, and the daughter was caked in make up.

Well done BBC, you're certainly doing a good job so far. :eek:hno:

#5,775 ·
BBC's new Victorian crime drama Ripper Street set in London's East End nevertheless manages to have a villiainous Fagin-type thief-master with an anachronist scouse accent and the even more anachronist handle, "the scouser". Good old BBC. We are paying for this shit.

#5,778 ·
He should've been called the cockney pearly king tealeaf, simple, and give us all a laugh at how the ICF end up looking like in their twilight years. On another note, if anywhere else in the country dressed up and pranced around like them in the name of culture, they'd be ridiculed in the press. What a gang of knobheads. :lol:

#5,780 · (Edited)
Now that the BBC has established "the scouser" as an all-purpose bad guy ethnicity for dramas set in the present day as well as even before the word scouser existed, rather as Jews used to be from ******* to Fagin, we can now look forward to villainous scousers turning up in programmes set in Ancient Rome or maybe even on alien planets in galaxies far, far way.