daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which country will host the 2024 Olympic Summer Games?
Argentina 28 2.78%
Australia 18 1.79%
Brazil 15 1.49%
Canada 48 4.76%
Chile 24 2.38%
China 12 1.19%
Egypt 2 0.20%
France 150 14.88%
Germany 48 4.76%
India 14 1.39%
Indonesia 21 2.08%
Italy 64 6.35%
Kenya 7 0.69%
Malaysia 29 2.88%
Mexico 47 4.66%
Morocco 17 1.69%
Netherlands 10 0.99%
New Zealand 17 1.69%
Peru 5 0.50%
Philippines 25 2.48%
Qatar 10 0.99%
Russia 73 7.24%
South Africa 60 5.95%
South Korea 10 0.99%
Sweden 10 0.99%
Thailand 27 2.68%
United Arab Emirates 33 3.27%
United Kingdom 12 1.19%
United States of America 172 17.06%
Voters: 1008. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 28th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #481
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

And how exactly is that great for the Olympics?
Lord David no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #482
Nikola10

Likes (Received): 106

summer olympic? what gonna happen? being racists to the Muslim?
Nikola10 no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #483
archilover

Likes (Received): 3177

they are bidding for world expo 2020,i think they will use all the experience from it..world expo is quite a big event..
archilover no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #484
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola10 View Post
Really?

I'm not sure if anyone is aware but LA is hosting the 2015 Special Olympics. It will be the largest sporting event this city has seen since the 84 Olympics. It'll be interesting to see how the city prepares and handles the crowds.
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:46 AM   #485
Lord David

Quote:
Denying the games to places like Doha or Dubai isn''t being racist to Muslims (which by the way is a religion not a race) nor is it being racist to Arabs.

It's being realistic. It's unfortunate yes that there's hot weather there most of the year, but there's nothing you can do about it. June/July/August is the ideal calendar for the Olympics, and October is not, even if weather is a little more favorable at that time. And insisting that you can only host during that time is not going to work either.

Then we come to the UAE. A country with little Olympic history and a couple of big events held yearly but that's all. Not to mention a potential first time bidder and lacking in multi-sporting events too.
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:04 AM   #486
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by archilover View Post
they are bidding for world expo 2020,i think they will use all the experience from it..world expo is quite a big event..
Yes, and I do hope they win. But those things are pretty expensive, in all honesty it would be quite stupid for Dubai to try and host for the olympics so soon after the World Expo, they would need a lot of money to prepare in for each event in such a short period of time.
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM   #487
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by potiz81 View Post
Barcelona was an exception, but again, it had various reasons to bid for the Games back in the 80's, as a city with its very own special culture and personality, which was in search of its international face as a top destination.
And other cities don't have that? Who are you to say the Philadelphia doesn't have a special culture and personality? It is one of the most historically important cities of the New World.

Quote:
But Philadelphia, Baltimore, Dallas etc are cities which are never gonna host Olympics. They simply don't need it,
Really, what city does need an Olympics? None that I can think of.

Quote:
and also IOC prefers iconic cities with strong "personality", like Beijing, Athens, London, Rio, Sydney, Los Angeles etc.
Can you point me to the part of the IOC city evaluation that specifies that the IOC prefers "personality" in cities? Los Angeles was the only bid city for 1984 - so your point is as ridiculous as it is pointless.

Quote:
So, the only realistic options for USA could be New York, Los Angeles or even Chicago, but not before 2030. There are so many other important countries who are waiting their turn to host the biggest event, and USA had the chances many times. And not always with good results (Atlanta fiasco).
This is personal opinion. Regardless of if you like it or not, with a solid bid and a good city (doesn't have to be Alpha World City) could make the US a frontrunner for 2024.

Quote:
Baltimore, Philly, Dallas, Minneapolis etc. are not going to host Olympics for the same reasons that cities like Shenzhen, Dongguan, Chengdu are not going to host is too. All these cities can be big enough to host various international events, with a lot of infrastructure already in place, legacy etc., but the lack of international appealing makes it almost impossible to host the Games anytime soon.
You can't compare a city like Dallas or Philadephia to the likes of Dongguan and Chengdu. I understand some of these CHinese cities are as big as the aforementioned American ones, but in terms of international profile, Dallas and Philadelphia are still quite significant internationally - at least enough to warrant a significantly serious Olympic bid.

-Corey- liked this post
Alphaville no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:12 PM   #488
Topher51

Quote:
Having the Olympics in Las Vegas or Phoenix would be an equally bad idea, but not "racist to Muslims." Let's not have them there either.

-Corey- liked this post
Topher51 no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:11 PM   #489
evannder

Likes (Received): 89

I would like a city in South Africa to 2024, Cape Town or Durban. It would be awesome in my opinion!
evannder no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #490
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10789

Quote:
dubai hot weather and great for the olympic
Too hot for most people's tastes. Besides a world event like the Olympics needs to go to a country that respects all people in society. The UAE has a long long way to go.

Women? Gays? Black people? The UAE? HELL NO!

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

-Corey-, Alphaville liked this post
isaidso no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #491
Alphaville

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Too hot for most people's tastes. Besides a world event like the Olympics needs to go to a country that respects all people in society. The UAE has a long long way to go.

Dubai Olympic organisers would probably try and rope in Pakistani and Bangladeshi athletes as construction workers on 40 cents a day.
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #492
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
Dubai Olympic organisers would probably try and rope in Pakistani and Bangladeshi athletes as construction workers on 40 cents a day.
If that's the case then give the Olympics to Dubai yesterday

I'm still hoping that DC will put in a bid for the 2024 Olympic games. RFK is collecting dust. Tear it down, build a truly state of the art 90,000 seat Olympic Stadium, then once it's over, the Redskins can move in.

If not DC then Dallas. I think a city like Dallas is overdue for a global sporting event such as the Olympics.
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #493
Topher51

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Don't forget the Irish, Brits and Germans. What kind of country doesn't allow pubs???
Topher51 no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #494
Alphaville

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
If that's the case then give the Olympics to Dubai yesterday

I'm still hoping that DC will put in a bid for the 2024 Olympic games. RFK is collecting dust. Tear it down, build a truly state of the art 90,000 seat Olympic Stadium, then once it's over, the Redskins can move in.

If not DC then Dallas. I think a city like Dallas is overdue for a global sporting event such as the Olympics.
While Dallas is a major American city - outside the US its profile is relatively small, and its "Atlanta" factor is too high. While there is actually not all that much wrong with the Atlanta Olympics themselves (despite what popular talk would have you believe), it would be written off as too soon for that region of the US to host again. The South has been done. The US best interest lies with the East Coast, or Chicago (if it decided to bid).

You are right about Washington DC, though. It would be magnificent. Marathon on the Mall, sailing on Chesapeake Bay and of course, RFK as the Olympic Stadium. Here is what was floated for 2012:
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #495
Lord David

My idea for a Washington DC bid would not include Baltimore, only in a Football Preliminaries capacity and sailing venue.

I proposed this at gamesbids.com

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topi...-9#entry386960
Old March 8th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #496
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Los Angeles sent a letter to the USOC expressing an interest in bidding for the Games, so you can just about pencil them in as a competitor for the U.S. bid (not that this is any surprise).

I wish San Francisco could figure out a way to make the Olympic Stadium work (Raiders?). Their plan for 2016 was phenomenal before the stadium plan fell apart.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #497
redspork02

Likes (Received): 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Los Angeles sent a letter to the USOC expressing an interest in bidding for the Games, so you can just about pencil them in as a competitor for the U.S. bid (not that this is any surprise).

I wish San Francisco could figure out a way to make the Olympic Stadium work (Raiders?). Their plan for 2016 was phenomenal before the stadium plan fell apart.
http://www.kcet.org/news/stories/the...s-angeles.html

03/07/2013
Los Angeles officials said today they have sent a letter to the U.S. Olympic Committee, announcing a bid to host the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games.
"We are proud of our city's sports heritage," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa wrote in a letter addressed to the USOC. "And we stand ready to work with you to bring the Olympics Games back to the United States."

If the bid is successful, it would make Los Angeles -- which hosted the Summer Olympics in 1932 and 1984 -- the first American city to stage the Games three times and tie it with London as the only worldwide city to do so.

Chicago and New York City were passed over as hosts for the 2012 and 2016 Games.

If a U.S. city is selected for the 2024 Olympics, it would be the first time in 28 years since the 1996 Atlanta Games.The 2002 Winter Games were held in Salt Lake City.

Among those signing a petition to Villaraigosa's letter were actor Tom Hanks, Anschutz Entertainment Group CEO Tim Leiweke, Olympians Janet Evans and Magic Johnson, and Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce Chairman Alan Rothenberg."The private sector also has expressed its strong support for a bid ... with signatures from a cross-section of sport, business and community leaders," Villaraigosa wrote.

The process for becoming the United States' official entrant for the 2024 Games is still unclear at the moment, said David Simon, head of the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games.

Past applicant cities have had to spend more than $10 million, but this time around, USOC appears to want to create a "less expensive, less elaborate process," Simon said.

The cost of hosting an Olympic Games could exceed $3 billion, according to USOC Chief Executive Officer Scott Blackmun, who sent out feelers last month to mayors of 35 U.S. cities.

"Based on expected International Olympic Committee deadlines, we have two-plus years to decide whether we want to submit a bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games," Blackmun's letter stated. "We would like to begin having discussions with interested cities about possible bid themes as well as the infrastructure, financial resources and other assets that are required to host the Games."

Host cities are required to provide at least 45,000 hotel rooms, an Olympic Village with rooms for 16,500 people and a 5,000-person capacity dining area, space for 15,000 media and broadcast representatives, an international airport able to handle thousands of international travelers per day, public transportation to venues and roadway closures.In 2011, the USOC declined to submit a city for the 2020 games, despite interest from several cities including Los Angeles, New York, and Las Vegas. It cited an inability to agree on revenue-sharing terms with the International Olympic Committee.

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!

Kenni liked this post
redspork02 no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #498
redspork02

Likes (Received): 813

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2...mmer-olympics/

Business |3/08/2013 @ 2:10PM |1,249 views
Why Los Angeles Would Be a Cost-Effective and Practical Choice for 2024 Summer Olympics

In trying to help the Olympic Games touch all corners of the globe, the International Olympic Committee has cared little about the internal economic mess that, in some instances, is left behind in the aftermath of international competition. This happened in cities like Montreal and countries like Greece who invested heavily in infrastructure and facilities but incurred massive debt in the process without much long-run returns on those investments.

Of course, the United States Olympic Committee has done itself few favors in recent years on account of a cantankerous relationship with the IOC regarding revenue sharing…a squabble that likely sealed Chicago’s fate when bidding upon the 2016 Summer Games.

In May 2012, however, a new revenue sharing agreement between the two sides was struck which gives the USOC 12.75% of U.S. broadcast rights revenue and 20% of worldwide Olympic marketing revenue. With that in place, it’s time for the United States to get back into the business of hosting Olympic Games.

And I cannot think of a more logical, cost-effective, and practical choice than the City of Angels…Los Angeles, California.

The reasons are many and varied:

1) Numerous world-class facilities which negate the need for new facility construction which has financially plagued other cities.

2) Olympic heritage as a 2-time former host (1932, 1984).

3) Perfect climate.

4) Diversified local demographic which represents a true international melting pot.

Officials have estimated that the eventual winner should expect to incur more than $3 billion in operating costs, but that’s highly reasonable compared to Beijing’s $40 billion and London’s $17-20 billion. Again, with facilities and infrastructure largely in place, only managerial incompetence or a penchant for excess would cause L.A.’s operational price tag to approach these lofty figures.

The L.A. Times reports that minimum requirements to host a Summer Olympics include 45,000 available hotel rooms, an athletes’ village that houses 16,500, an international airport and a workforce of up to 200,000. With a combination of their current hotel inventory, use of campus facilities at either USC or UCLA, LAX plus additional airports locally that can help lighten the load, and a large population of sports enthusiasts dying for a chance to participate in an international sporting event, L.A. clearly has all of their ducks in a row.

And though Boston, Dallas, and San Francisco all have the potential to offer similar dynamics, none boast the same degree of Olympic heritage as L.A.

By 2024, it will have been nearly 30 years since the United States had hosted a Summer Games (Atlanta, 1996) and 22 years since its last Olympics at all (Salt Lake, 2002).

When the Olympics finally return to American soil, they should return where the odds of maximizing the returns on investment will be at their highest.

For these reasons, the USOC and IOC must love L.A. over all other alternatives.

=================

Patrick is an Economics Professor at the George Herbert Walker School of Business and Technology at Webster University in St Louis, MO, and the Founder/Director of Sportsimpacts. Follow him on Twitter.

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!

Kenni liked this post
redspork02 no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #499
Boriska
zététicien complotiste

Likes (Received): 4831

Nice logo for the best city

Avemano liked this post
Boriska no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #500
Lord David

You got that from the gamesbids.com logo contest!

Although it came 3rd, mine's pretty slick too.

Closed Thread

Tags
cities, country, olympic games