daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which country will host the 2024 Olympic Summer Games?
Argentina 28 2.78%
Australia 18 1.79%
Brazil 15 1.49%
Canada 48 4.76%
Chile 24 2.38%
China 12 1.19%
Egypt 2 0.20%
France 150 14.88%
Germany 48 4.76%
India 14 1.39%
Indonesia 21 2.08%
Italy 64 6.35%
Kenya 7 0.69%
Malaysia 29 2.88%
Mexico 47 4.66%
Morocco 17 1.69%
Netherlands 10 0.99%
New Zealand 17 1.69%
Peru 5 0.50%
Philippines 25 2.48%
Qatar 10 0.99%
Russia 73 7.24%
South Africa 60 5.95%
South Korea 10 0.99%
Sweden 10 0.99%
Thailand 27 2.68%
United Arab Emirates 33 3.27%
United Kingdom 12 1.19%
United States of America 172 17.06%
Voters: 1008. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 8th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #741
IThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by luanvitorcosta View Post
TORONTO 2024 or VANCOUVER 2024

GO CANADA
I don't think that the Olympic Games will return to Vancouver after 14 years. Besides the fact that there will be a fierce competition from Europe and the United States. Maybe Toronto can be a good participant.

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #742
luanvitorcosta

Likes (Received): 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThomas View Post
I don't think that the Olympic Games will return to Vancouver after 14 years. Besides the fact that there will be a fierce competition from Europe and the United States. Maybe Toronto can be a good participant.
I know that it's impossible that Vancouver will submit any bid soon But when it happen, it would be very good they would win

I just want any canadian city for 2024 they totally deserve it

IThomas liked this post
luanvitorcosta no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #743
Kenni
What?

Los Angeles is putting heavy effort on this...

luanvitorcosta liked this post
Kenni no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #744
luanvitorcosta

LA is wonderful, but host for the 3rd time its a little boring

US has a lot of cities able to host. NYC, San Francisco and Chicago for example,
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #745
Kenni
What?

Quote:
LA is wonderful, but host for the 3rd time its a little boring

US has a lot of cities able to host. NYC, San Francisco and Chicago for example,
Maybe true, I don't know it what context though....because LA is Hollywood, and with 41.1 million tourist visits in 2012. London hosted 3 times. Experience, weather, space, infrastructure, mobility etc. it's all here.

1984 reinvented the games (saved them actually) to it's current functionality. 1932 LA introduced the medal ceremony, raising of the flags and standing on podiums among other things. LAX was just expanded and more is coming, Metro is expanding etc.

NY is costly, maybe 10 times more, and logistically a nightmare....but not impossible...same as SF.

So, it's not just a superficial "it's boring", that's not what the committee will look at. BTW, Atlanta was for sure "boring".

Kenni no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #746
luanvitorcosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Maybe true, I don't know it what context though....because LA is Hollywood, and with 41.1 million tourist visits in 2012. London hosted 3 times. Experience, weather, space, infrastructure, mobility etc. it's all here.

1984 reinvented the games (saved them actually) to it's current functionality. 1932 LA introduced the medal ceremony, raising of the flags and standing on podiums among other things. LAX was just expanded and more is coming, Metro is expanding etc.

NY is costly, maybe 10 times more, and logistically a nightmare....but not impossible...same as SF.

So, it's not just a superficial "it's boring", that's not what the committee will look at. BTW, Atlanta was for sure "boring".
LA can rock it, for sure. It's a historical and important place for the Olympic Games, plus the economic power of the city.
When I said "little boring", i meant bc i think IOC must give the opportunity to new places and try somthg new
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #747
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
LOL. I can only surmise that he meant to say that the *IOC* wants it badly. But who knows, he's an odd fella.
He does try my patience on occasion.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #748
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
I just want any canadian city for 2024 they totally deserve it
Thanks for your support, but Toronto is the only Canadian bid city on offer. A Vancouver summer Olympics bid is likely a couple decades away at the earliest.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old September 8th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #749
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
LA can rock it, for sure. It's a historical and important place for the Olympic Games, plus the economic power of the city.
When I said "little boring", i meant bc i think IOC must give the opportunity to new places and try somthg new
That is correct... however if an applicant city that has never hosted the game can't convince the IOC that they have the best bid, the IOC will favor an applicant city that has hosted the game over a new one, like today Tokyo won the bid to host the 2020 Games over two cities that have never hosted the games, Madrid and Istanbul.
Old September 8th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #750
JorgeGt

Likes (Received): 65

Tokyo's win will favour European bids... Specially, Paris.
JorgeGt no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #751
JorgeGt

Likes (Received): 65

The IOC won't try "new places" for a while... In 2028 perhaps
JorgeGt no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #752
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

So now after 2020 is over, everyone one is going to focus on this now? And does anyone do when do they announce the winner? I know that there are still no confirm bids(?) but just want to know when are they announce it. After 2016 or....
Puppetgeneral no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #753
andydie

Likes (Received): 25

i have my doubts that after Rio in 2016 and tokyo in 2020 they will not choose a european country in 2024. it would leave europe with no games for 12 years. I would see Madrid, Paris and Berlin as heavy Candidates
andydie no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #754
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeGt View Post
The IOC won't try "new places" for a while... In 2028 perhaps
IOC will try "new places" as long as those "new places" can convince the IOC members that they are capable of holding the games. South Africa is contemplating 2024.
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #755
swifty78

Likes (Received): 549

no ifs not buts, I'm almost certain that 2024 is Europe!
swifty78 no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #756
Cehennem
BANNED

Likes (Received): 123

My desire for 2024 is to see Istanul again, then Paris, NYC, Moscow. Some doubts to see Berlin.
Cehennem no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #757
Napo
Personaggetto User

Likes (Received): 6322

Italy's PM Enrico Letta: "We can apply for 2024 Olympic Games"

''What happened yesterday in Buenos Aires makes me think that in 2024 Italy can apply for the Olympic Games'', the prime minister Letta said today in a political meeting.
Italy is a great country but ''if we have deadlines - he added - we can commit ourselves better. It's a project - he concluded - on which I will work.''

EuroNews

SBANNATELI CAZZO
***Innominables***
Napo no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #758
IThomas

The day after the winning of Tokyo, Italy think for 2024 edition.
PM Letta: "Italy is a candidate. When this country is joined for the big events, we give the best performance".

Japan has achieved the 2020 Olympic Games, despite the adverse economic situation . For Italy, that with the Monti government had to withdraw the nomination for the same reasons, open up new possibilities: "What happened yesterday in Buenos Aires, makes me think that for 2024, Italy may apply to the Olympics", says the premier Enrico Letta. Italy is a great country but "if we have deadlines - he added - commit ourselves better. It's a theme - he concluded - on which I'll work".

The mayor of Rome, Ignazio Marino: "There are the conditions for candidacy to host the Games in Rome, because the city has the necessary requirements. I will ask soon a meeting at the Prime Minister Letta and the President of CONI Malagò".

"Even Milan can have his papers to run for the Olympics of 2024" says Antonio Rossi, Olympic champion of the canoe and now Councillor for Sports of the Lombardy Region. "From sports I'm happy for the words of Prime Minister Letta. I'll not turn on disputes with Rome. But Milan has the facilities of the Expo with the construction of a stadium and a swimming pool in the area, after 2016, he would have more chance. We talked also with the president Maroni".

Malagò: "I've already spoken with Enrico Letta, now you can dream". From Buenos Aiers declares the phone its satisfaction with the position taken by the President of the Council on the Olympic bid for 2024. ''I heard the mayor of Rome, Marino and the Governor of Lazio, Zingaretti: I'll see you soon.''

In February of last year "the government has done well" to withdraw from Rome's candidacy for the Olympics of 2020, according to former Sports Minister Piero Gnudi, he hopes that "from here the situation changes''. Olympic Games - he said - are a target stimulus for the economy. ''I think that Rome is a natural candidate. And the games are an event that unifies the nation''.

Napo liked this post

Last edited by IThomas; September 8th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
IThomas no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #759
IThomas

Rome could bid again to host 2024 Olympics, says CONI
[IMG]http://oi42.************/2h4me0k.jpg[/IMG]

Rome may yet be in the running to host the 2024 Olympic games, the head of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) said Wednesday. Giovanni Malago suggested that anything is possible, including another shot for the Italian capital at hosting the Olympics. For example, no one predicted the recent silver medal win by swimmer Federica Pellegrini at the World Swimming Championships, said Malago. "I did not expect the silver from Federica...but when she said 'I'm going', I realized that anything might happen," Malago explained in an interview with Italy's leading sports newspaper, Gazzetta dello Sport.

Pellegrini – who said she had not planned to defend her 200m world title won in 2009 and 2011 - ended a 12-month sabbatical to take second at the Barcelona championships. Similarly, with the right support, Italy could also surprise many by hosting the Olympics, suggested Malago. Italy's dreams of hosting the 2020 Olympics were dashed in February 2012 by then-premier Mario Monti who suggested that Italy, which all of its debts and serious economic problems, could not afford such an expensive venture.

"I had to take a difficult decision (to reject) a magnificent project, and there was a lot of disappointment," Monti told the European Parliament at the time. "But I have the impression that public opinion has understood (why I did so)," he added. Monti did not give the bid his required endorsement, citing financial risks at a time when crisis-hit Italy was enduring tough austerity measures. However, Malago suggested things have since changed, and that Finance Minister Fabrizio Saccomanni has said hosting such an events could be possible. There would have to be "attention on the expenditure side," added Malago. He hinted that he also has support from Regional Affairs Minister Graziano Delrio who also has cabinet responsibilities for sport.
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #760
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
LOL. I can only surmise that he meant to say that the *IOC* wants it badly. But who knows, he's an odd fella.
No! There's a bid process to select the American city who's going to represent the United States at the 126th IOC Session. USOC (United States Olympic Committee) sent letter to more than 30 cities, including NYC. I read an article that they wanted NYC or either LA to bid for this American bid (not the IOC bid) so it can compete with other cities... And as of the Paris vs NYC (if NYC were to be elected to represent the US) that was clearly my opinion , as I was responding to the previous comment.. Some people need to chill out, this is all speculation after all.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
cities, country, olympic games