daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which country will host the 2024 Olympic Summer Games?
Argentina 28 2.78%
Australia 18 1.79%
Brazil 15 1.49%
Canada 48 4.76%
Chile 24 2.38%
China 12 1.19%
Egypt 2 0.20%
France 150 14.88%
Germany 48 4.76%
India 14 1.39%
Indonesia 21 2.08%
Italy 64 6.35%
Kenya 7 0.69%
Malaysia 29 2.88%
Mexico 47 4.66%
Morocco 17 1.69%
Netherlands 10 0.99%
New Zealand 17 1.69%
Peru 5 0.50%
Philippines 25 2.48%
Qatar 10 0.99%
Russia 73 7.24%
South Africa 60 5.95%
South Korea 10 0.99%
Sweden 10 0.99%
Thailand 27 2.68%
United Arab Emirates 33 3.27%
United Kingdom 12 1.19%
United States of America 172 17.06%
Voters: 1008. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #881
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3644

Why does it have to be a another sprawling Sunbelt city? I like to see the Olympics in older, more urban cities like Philadelphia and Boston.
LtBk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #882
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19030

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
The thing is that Detroit is not interested.... So far only 10 cities are selected San Diego, Boston, Dallas, NYC, DC, LA, SF, Philadelphia, Miami and one city that we don't know...
Too bad for the US and the Olympic movement then. Out of those selected, I'd definitely go with Philadelphia.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #883
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Why does it have to be a another sprawling Sunbelt city? I like to see the Olympics in older, more urban cities like Philadelphia and Boston.
I suspect that their proposals are weak, or they fail in proving their case, the USOC is not going to do it for them. LA is a thoroughbred in that sense, in sports sense, in organizational sense. LA can put on a show like no other with the backdrop of location...and weather. And it has plenty of money.

LA has not put all its might behind the last bids, it almost seemed like they presented themselves as "if they **** up we're ready to pick up the mess"...because in theory, LA has venues to to do an ad-hoc event if needed.

Momentum is gearing up for the 2024 games. And if the gods don't look their way, LA would be happy to host the 2032 games, which would mark the centennial of the 1932 LA Games.

I'm excited for the fight for the 2024 games, it should be formidable with high rollers bidding with spectacular propositions.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Kenni no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #884
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10782

I'm not sure why people are assuming that when the Olympics come back to north America, that the host city will be in the United States. Toronto would offer stiff competition to any US bid city and there's a good chance they'll bid. Mexico hasn't shown much interest, but any future Mexico City bid shouldn't be taken lightly either.

Last Canadian summer Olympics: 1976
Last Mexican summer Olympics: 1968

The United States has had it twice since either of these countries last hosted.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; September 16th, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #885
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Toronto will definitely offer stiff competition. Especially if it is similar to their 2008 bid.

The 1996 boasted the most advanced stadium in the world which wasn't even suited for ceremonies or athletics.

Philadelphia might work, if it's willing to move the naval yards elsewhere. The idea of converting such a site into an Olympic Park and cruise ship terminals will be symbolic in the idea of portraying a more Olympics in a more peaceful world.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #886
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm not sure why people are assuming that when the Olympics come back to north America, that the host city will be in the United States. Toronto would offer stiff competition to any US bid city and there's a good chance they'll bid. Mexico hasn't shown much interest, but any future Mexico City bid shouldn't be taken lightly either.

Last Canadian summer Olympics: 1976
Last Mexican summer Olympics: 1968

The United States has had it twice since either of these countries last hosted.
I think is fair enough to say that the United States would get the Summery Olympics before Canada or Mexico... And I'm sure it would be in or before 2032.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #887
George_D

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
I think is fair enough to say that the United States would get the Summery Olympics before Canada or Mexico... And I'm sure it would be in or before 2032.
Μexico:1968
Canada:1976
USA:1984

They already had it before Canada and Mexico, in 1996. Now its fair to wait 40+ years at least as other countries. Bye
George_D no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #888
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
That's very much something you've convinced yourself is true than than anything based in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Toronto will definitely offer stiff competition. Especially if it is similar to their 2008 bid.
Agree. Toronto has as good a chance as any other city of landing the Games.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; September 16th, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #889
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

During the the last 20 years the IOC had no trouble selecting a host city in a country that had hosted six years before.... and that's a fact wether you like it or not... You also have to remember that the United States is in a different position.. If we use objective criteria such as population, wealth, Olympic influence, Olympic success, potential hosts, etc., then the US should expect to host more often than other nations. There's good reason the US has hosted more than anyone else, and in more cities than anyone else. Although while the US will host less often in the future, it's still likely that it'll host more Olympics (Summer or Winter) than anyone else.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #890
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Speaking of the US hosting the Olympics...

Quote:
The Board of Supervisors voted its support today for bringing the Olympic Games to Los Angeles in the summer of 2024.

The board will send a letter to the United States Olympic Committee to formalize its interest and cooperate with the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games in its hosting bid.

"Los Angeles is home to more Olympians than anywhere in the world, and has twice hosted the summer Olympic Games," said Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, who recommended the move.

The Los Angeles City Council on August 13 issued a unanimous resolution of support of hosting the 2024 games. But more than half of the venues would be outside the city limits and within the county of Los Angeles, according to Barry Sanders, chairman of the committee managing the bid.

Funding for the bid will come from private, not public, sources, according to Sanders.

Other cities that have expressed interest in making a bid include Dallas, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. A bid by Boston is also under consideration, while a proposed joint bid by San Diego-Tijuana was quashed by international rules.

Los Angeles lost its bid as the 2016 U.S. option to Chicago, though the games were ultimately awarded to Rio de Janeiro.

"In this game, persistence wins," Sanders said.
http://www.kcet.org/news/stories/la-...k-in-2024.html
Old September 19th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #891
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

LA getting ready means NOTHING new. They have the SCCOG which is a perennial, dormant organization ready to spring into Olympic bidding action anytime an opportunity seems to open up.
Knitemplar no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #892
George_D

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
LA getting ready means NOTHING new. They have the SCCOG which is a perennial, dormant organization ready to spring into Olympic bidding action anytime an opportunity seems to open up.
and what venues?
George_D no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #893
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Quote:
So London didn't bring anything new according to u?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #894
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
If LA offers a better Memorial Coliseum proposal and perhaps a solution to the Olympic Village (avoiding perhaps the use of USC and UCLA dorms as accommodation), a future Olympics will be dramatically different to 1984.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #895
isaidso
the new republic

Lord tundra, not another LA Olympics.

Quote:

During the the last 20 years the IOC had no trouble selecting a host city in a country that had hosted six years before.... and that's a fact wether you like it or not...
Exactly, so Toronto is no worse off than a US city in that regard.

Quote:
You also have to remember that the United States is in a different position.. If we use objective criteria such as population, wealth, Olympic influence, Olympic success, potential hosts, etc., then the US should expect to host more often than other nations.
Don't be greedy, the US has already hosted the last 2 north American summer Olympics and 4 times in total. Your point is moot. The US being the next north American host is not a 'fait accompli' like you seem to believe. Like I've said repeatedly: it's something you've convinced yourself of.

Last edited by isaidso; September 19th, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #896
Knitemplar

Quote:
Wrong correlation. I NEVER said that no 'new venues' came about. What I'm saying is that it should NOT AT ALL be surprising that LA launches another bid because that is what SCCOG (the So. Calif. Committee for the Olympic Games) is chartered to do. It was a legacy of the 1932 Games to try and bring the OGs back to LA every opportune time. I NEVER said anything about NOT having any new venues.

But SCCOG does not really build NEW venues. Even LAOOC (the 1984 Organizing Committee) only used existing venues and built temporary ones. SCCOG is only created to BRING the Games back to LA whenever possible. If an LAOOC 2024. '28, '32 or whenever, then THAT body is burdened with finding & creating venues needed for the next set of Games.
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #897
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
^. Your point is moot. The US being the next north American host is not a 'fait accompli' like you seem to believe. Like I've said repeatedly: it's something you've convinced yourself of.
It is NOT moot. The US has 10x the population of Canada; has probably 12x the athletic prowess of your country; and certainly contributes probably 75% more of the income the IOC needs to survive than your Canada -- so it is a MORE important player in the Olympic world than Canada. You are such a virulent, vitriolic anti-US person that you are quite repellant (or at least in this forum). Not to mention the fact that you are in great denial.
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #898
RobH

Likes (Received): 10314

Quote:
No, you've misinterpreted him. He meant LA bidding isn't anything new, not that they wouldn't bring anything new. LA always bids to become the US candidate city because, as baron says, they have a permanant organisation set up ready to do so.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old September 19th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #899
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
It is NOT moot. The US has 10x the population of Canada; has probably 12x the athletic prowess of your country; and certainly contributes probably 75% more of the income the IOC needs to survive than your Canada -- so it is a MORE important player in the Olympic world than Canada. You are such a virulent, vitriolic anti-US person that you are quite repellant (or at least in this forum). Not to mention the fact that you are in great denial.
You're entitled to your opinion no matter how off base you are. I'm virulent, vitriolic and anti-US because I think Toronto has as good a shot as any other city? You seem to be the only one spewing insults actually. I'd steer clear of bashing people just because you disagree with them; it's not permitted on SSC.

Last edited by isaidso; September 19th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #900
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Quote:
Jesus, he keeps repeating the same thing all over again. In his mind, only Canada would get the Olympics before the U.S... I have nothing against Toronto or Canada, but we can't ignore the fact that the US is a major player and as u said, it contributes a lot to the IOC.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
cities, country, olympic games