daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Bangladesh > Economy, Business & Investments



Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #1501
Naz_toronto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 379
Likes (Received): 78

Watch these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBn_Z3YUt_E#t=470
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwAAjHDoHcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1XlkEBzEMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ZL7dQkonA
__________________

tislam84 liked this post

Last edited by Naz_toronto; February 26th, 2014 at 11:14 PM.
Naz_toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #1502
dopekhor
bleh!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,377
Likes (Received): 271

I have seen these I am very skeptical of these ideas, given the cultural context I fail to see how they aspire to attain prosperity. Instead the amount of dollars the raised for investment should be focused on heavy industries that produce commodity that can be sold all over the world.

That just my opinion, I do hope the best for them.
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #1503
TIslam
Towhid Islam
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 8,966
Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
I have seen these I am very skeptical of these ideas, given the cultural context I fail to see how they aspire to attain prosperity. Instead the amount of dollars the raised for investment should be focused on heavy industries that produce commodity that can be sold all over the world.

That just my opinion, I do hope the best for them.
I can understand your reluctance and your recommendation for the tried and true. On the other hand, many may say:
  • One never can foretell the outcome until a venture has bee tried
  • A person has his/her comfort zone for certain things and not others

While internet penetration is insignificant in Bangladesh at the moment, perhaps it will pick up pace with the advent of 3G mobile services. My wife tells me that online payment is very popular among SMEs in Dhaka (and perhaps elsewhere), I'm sure the services this startup intends to offer may very well have good prospects.
__________________

Naz_toronto liked this post

Last edited by TIslam; February 27th, 2014 at 02:07 AM.
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #1504
dopekhor
bleh!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,377
Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIslam View Post
I can understand your reluctance and your recommendation for the tried and true. On the other hand, many may say:
  • One never can foretell the outcome until a venture has bee tried
  • A person has his/her comfort zone for certain things and not others

While internet penetration is insignificant in Bangladesh at the moment, perhaps it will pick up pace with the advent of 3G mobile services. My wife tells me that online payment is very popular among SMEs in Dhaka (and perhaps elsewhere), I'm sure the services this startup intends to offer any very well have good prospects.
Of course but being a student of Business, speculation and hedge is something that has not been done before in the given context, I ought to be doing as a the ultimate resort unless I have tremendous deep pockets.

Even with 3g penetration is very low at current stages. I will just use this example, the one that does grocery and delivers home. I will find it extremely difficult to convince my parents, relatives and their friends to order online as opposed to sending the kajer chele to do the grocery.

Give then expenses accrued for having the kajer chele is very cheap, I cannot see how they will convince people to pick the idea up. Moving to the middle class, most people at least have someone in the family who does not work or is engaged in any full time work. They are used to run errands.

The idea for selling iTunes like cards in Bangladesh for media purchases. That by far is the most ludicrous idea for the local context, even India couldn't implement such a feat.

I hardly saw any of these ventures talking about making software that is locally relevant. For example I have hardly seen any good Bengali accounting software or any inventory management software. As the language barrier is huge in Bangladesh I have hardly seen people focusing on trying to bring international software and localize it.

Most mid-size and even some large corporations use Tally, this Indian software company that makes ERP solutions. On top of that even in large conglomerates the OS used is pirated.

Branding hasn't picked up properly yet in Bangladesh, so the advent of digital marketing is in its nascent infancy. The work that comes out of Bangladesh at this moment isn't very commendable.

Lets just look at some examples within our region.

These are the cover pages from KFC Bangladesh's facebook page





These are from KFC India





These are from KFC Pakistan





Look at this piece of Marketing by this other Pizza store in Bangladesh



Its from this page
https://www.facebook.com/pizzainn.com.bd

now compare this with a Pakistani Page
https://www.facebook.com/14thstreetpizza

Are you able to notice the difference in the standards?
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #1505
dopekhor
bleh!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,377
Likes (Received): 271

check out this website

https://www.albd.org/

The only local website that I have seen thus far that is somewhat visually appealing, the rest are an horrid eyesore.

Also look at these websites, they are the top boutique hotels of their respective cities,

Platinum Suites, Dhaka, Bangladesh
http://www.platinumsuites.com.bd/

Lakeshore Hotel, Dhaka, Bangladesh
http://www.lakeshorehotel.com.bd/


The Visaya, Delhi, India
http://www.thevisaya.com/

Shanti Homes Delhi, India
http://www.shantihome.com/

-----------------------

Now lets look at some International Ventures and their local sites.

Djuice Bangladesh
http://djuice.com.bd/ <-- Alleged youth brand, nothing about the webpage feels youthful, looks more like a page made on MS word, while it's Pakistani counterpart does some what of a better job http://djuice.com.pk/

Bangladesh's leading retailers

Deshi Dosh: http://deshidosh.net/
Ecstasy: http://www.ecstasybd.com/ (Quite at par for the internationally acceptable standards)
Aarong; http://aarong.com/ (doesn't open)

I am not even going to dare and compare with India, lets look at some from Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Vietnam. I hope you see the difference and then tell me if my skepticism of digital Bangladesh are valid or not.

Pakistan

Khaadi: http://www.khaadionline.com/
Outfitters: http://www.outfitters.com.pk/index.html
Maria Belal: http://www.mariab.ae/

Sri Lanka
Odel: http://www.odel.lk
Paradise Road: http://www.paradiseroad.lk/ retailer and boutique hotel

Nepal
cant seem to find the top retailers of the country, well get back to it soon

Vietnam
http://dxfashion.com/home/
http://milano-vietnam.com/
http://www.runway.vn/en/home.html
__________________

eMelus liked this post

Last edited by dopekhor; February 27th, 2014 at 03:27 AM.
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #1506
jason.kazi
Supermember
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,434
Likes (Received): 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
check out this website

https://www.albd.org/

The only local website that I have seen thus far that is somewhat visually appealing, the rest are an horrid eyesore.

Also look at these websites, they are the top boutique hotels of their respective cities,

Platinum Suites, Dhaka, Bangladesh
http://www.platinumsuites.com.bd/

Lakeshore Hotel, Dhaka, Bangladesh
http://www.lakeshorehotel.com.bd/


The Visaya, Delhi, India
http://www.thevisaya.com/

Shanti Homes Delhi, India
http://www.shantihome.com/

-----------------------

Now lets look at some International Ventures and their local sites.

Djuice Bangladesh
http://djuice.com.bd/ <-- Alleged youth brand, nothing about the webpage feels youthful, looks more like a page made on MS word, while it's Pakistani counterpart does some what of a better job http://djuice.com.pk/

Bangladesh's leading retailers

Deshi Dosh: http://deshidosh.net/
Ecstasy: http://www.ecstasybd.com/ (Quite at par for the internationally acceptable standards)
Aarong; http://aarong.com/ (doesn't open)

I am not even going to dare and compare with India, lets look at some from Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Vietnam. I hope you see the difference and then tell me if my skepticism of digital Bangladesh are valid or not.

Pakistan

Khaadi: http://www.khaadionline.com/
Outfitters: http://www.outfitters.com.pk/index.html
Maria Belal: http://www.mariab.ae/

Sri Lanka
Odel: http://www.odel.lk
Paradise Road: http://www.paradiseroad.lk/ retailer and boutique hotel

Nepal
cant seem to find the top retailers of the country, well get back to it soon

Vietnam
http://dxfashion.com/home/
http://milano-vietnam.com/
http://www.runway.vn/en/home.html
Here's some other good websites, in my opinion:

http://www.baydevelopments.com/index.php

http://www.eximbankbd.com/

http://navana-realestate.com/new/home.php

http://www.suvastu.com.bd/

http://www.rangsproperties.com.bd/

http://www.bankasia-bd.com/

http://www.imaginehotels.com/

http://mermaidecoresort.com/
__________________
Positively Bangladesh on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/positivelybangladesh

Updated Dhaka project blog with all ongoing/upcoming projects with location info: http://www.dhakaprojects.blogspot.com/

Updated Cox's Bazar hotel project blog with all ongoing/upcoming projects: http://upcomingbdhotels.blogspot.com...ar-hotels.html
jason.kazi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #1507
nayeem007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,082
Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
Of course but being a student of Business, speculation and hedge is something that has not been done before in the given context, I ought to be doing as a the ultimate resort unless I have tremendous deep pockets.

Even with 3g penetration is very low at current stages. I will just use this example, the one that does grocery and delivers home. I will find it extremely difficult to convince my parents, relatives and their friends to order online as opposed to sending the kajer chele to do the grocery.

Give then expenses accrued for having the kajer chele is very cheap, I cannot see how they will convince people to pick the idea up. Moving to the middle class, most people at least have someone in the family who does not work or is engaged in any full time work. They are used to run errands.

The idea for selling iTunes like cards in Bangladesh for media purchases. That by far is the most ludicrous idea for the local context, even India couldn't implement such a feat.

I hardly saw any of these ventures talking about making software that is locally relevant. For example I have hardly seen any good Bengali accounting software or any inventory management software. As the language barrier is huge in Bangladesh I have hardly seen people focusing on trying to bring international software and localize it.

Most mid-size and even some large corporations use Tally, this Indian software company that makes ERP solutions. On top of that even in large conglomerates the OS used is pirated.

Branding hasn't picked up properly yet in Bangladesh, so the advent of digital marketing is in its nascent infancy. The work that comes out of Bangladesh at this moment isn't very commendable.
I am trying to understand what your message is. Are you saying that Bangladesh should stop Information Technology related endeavors completely and focus on manufacturing solely? or just that our focus should be more on heavy industries? If it's the later I agree..

From my perspective government should declare manufacturing as a thrust sector and encourage entrepreneurs to invest in labor intensive industries and thus provide employment to millions. Afterall, with 160 million people, that is our strength! But at the same time, I see nothing wrong in young creative minds focusing on software and application development. It might not become a major industry here like in India based on our limitation, but even serving the local markets can result in huge cost saving & benefit.

Let me given an example, previously many multinationals in Bangladesh solely got Indian consulting firms for enterprise wise software implementation. But in the last 3-4 years slowly local companies like Grameenphone IT has started flourishing in this area (As a result world renowned Accenture bought majority share). Like Wipro, Infosys Bangladeshi IT firms may not take projects in GE, IBM or AT&T, but helping Bangladeshi businesses will also be a big boost. In fact even at the place I work, just this year we outsourced some IT implementations to a local firm for the first time; which was done by an Indian company for more than 10 years. These are small baby steps.. but still positive nevertheless.

Bangladesh's website may not be like India, but at least many companies have a website and face book page now due to development in IT sector, which was completely absent even 5 years back. Online websites like BDjobs, Bikroy.com and Hungrynaki are extremely popular. Just in my friend circle, over a dozen people got job offers using online portal, similarly nowadays lot of buying and selling is occurring through websites and delivery through online ordering is very popular with office going people.

Finally, due to advent of private universities, english language skill has developed considerably among the young mass. Previously only English medium students were fluent but in the last 2-3 years I noticed that even restaurant waiters are quite decent in english communication (they are mostly students from universities working part time).

Last edited by nayeem007; February 27th, 2014 at 03:05 PM.
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #1508
tislam84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lexington
Posts: 1,514
Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
I have seen these I am very skeptical of these ideas, given the cultural context I fail to see how they aspire to attain prosperity. Instead the amount of dollars the raised for investment should be focused on heavy industries that produce commodity that can be sold all over the world.

That just my opinion, I do hope the best for them.
I can't agree Dope. Services sector, especially highly specialized ones, need to improve in order to the nation to improve. Focusing solely on manufacturing won't do. You need logistics to get the goods going from place to place, and ensuring that goods are made properly.

People will slowly get used to using online payment as a viable option for payment. When I was a kid, people were really skeptical of using credit cards, and now, it is far more prevalent in Bangladesh. So, I believe that at least among the young generation, there will be a drive to adopt these new technology quickly.

Also, the video showed the site newscred.com created by three Bangladeshis. They are now headquartered in New York with a huge back office in Dhaka, and they have GE, Pepsi and the Economist as their clients. That's a good achievement, right?
__________________

eMelus liked this post
tislam84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #1509
dopekhor
bleh!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,377
Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayeem007 View Post
I am trying to understand what your message is. Are you saying that Bangladesh should stop Information Technology related endeavors completely and focus on manufacturing solely? or just that our focus should be more on heavy industries? If it's the later I agree..

From my perspective government should declare manufacturing as a thrust sector and encourage entrepreneurs to invest in labor intensive industries and thus provide employment to millions. Afterall, with 160 million people, that is our strength! But at the same time, I see nothing wrong in young creative minds focusing on software and application development. It might not become a major industry here like in India based on our limitation, but even serving the local markets can result in huge cost saving & benefit.

Let me given an example, previously many multinationals in Bangladesh solely got Indian consulting firms for enterprise wise software implementation. But in the last 3-4 years slowly local companies like Grameenphone IT has started flourishing in this area (As a result world renowned Accenture bought majority share). Like Wipro, Infosys Bangladeshi IT firms may not take projects in GE, IBM or AT&T, but helping Bangladeshi businesses will also be a big boost. In fact even at the place I work, just this year we outsourced some IT implementations to a local firm for the first time; which was done by an Indian company for more than 10 years. These are small baby steps.. but still positive nevertheless.

Bangladesh's website may not be like India, but at least many companies have a website and face book page now due to development in IT sector, which was completely absent even 5 years back. Online websites like BDjobs, Bikroy.com and Hungrynaki are extremely popular. Just in my friend circle, over a dozen people got job offers using online portal, similarly nowadays lot of buying and selling is occurring through websites and delivery through online ordering is very popular with office going people.

Finally, due to advent of private universities, english language skill has developed considerably among the young mass. Previously only English medium students were fluent but in the last 2-3 years I noticed that even restaurant waiters are quite decent in english communication (they are mostly students from universities working part time).
What my message is that these attempts to leap frog, will not be very sustainable. Even the Indian companies came here after struggling a lot. Even now India hasn't been able to produce a Google, Facebook, Yahoo or anything of their likes. India just provides back end support and cheap R&D.

They came here after a lot o struggle. Their policy of industry related infrastructure building is what helped them prosper. We do not have such a thing. These companies that are investing, what are their visions? How do they plan to acquire sustainable talent?

I remember talking to this bhaia, some years back he started this IT firm and year or so down the line half his top notch talent left for abroad. Thereafter he found it very hard to recruit adequate talent. A problem also persistent in India.

If you look at India's IT related income a very large chuck comes from BPO, an industry it is facing intense competition from the Philippines. If we could take a piece of that Industry we would be generating a lot of revenue and be able to put money in the pockets of the youth. I mean how much training would you need to get someone to say, " Heelu Sarr, I jam Jun Ishmeeth how may I haalp ju' and so on. That industry failed miserably in Bangladesh.

Why cannot Bangladesh's website be as visually appealing as European ones? It is this "jane do na" mentality that acts as a major deterrence for our development. Which is why even after gaining test status a decade and a half ago. The Bangladesh cricket team plays to win hearts not matches and because the are gaining the same support from the crowd who have sub par expectation. The time for such has to be sent back to the annuls of history. It is this mentality that stops people from thriving and pushing their limits.

Check out this little pansy bantering;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152229075004644

What my I am trying to say at the end of the day is that we have very limited financial resources, why not use that to push towards industrialization that way we can help a lot of families prosper too. Every country goes through this evolutionary process. In my limited knowledge I am yet to see anyone leap frog. At the same time the educational institutes need to be revamped at least up a couple more notches. No body expects them to deliver at the level of the Indian IIT's but some where near by at least.

Once you have the proper or atleast trainable labor force you have a better shot at ROI.
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #1510
dopekhor
bleh!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,377
Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by tislam84 View Post
I can't agree Dope. Services sector, especially highly specialized ones, need to improve in order to the nation to improve. Focusing solely on manufacturing won't do. You need logistics to get the goods going from place to place, and ensuring that goods are made properly.

People will slowly get used to using online payment as a viable option for payment. When I was a kid, people were really skeptical of using credit cards, and now, it is far more prevalent in Bangladesh. So, I believe that at least among the young generation, there will be a drive to adopt these new technology quickly.

Also, the video showed the site newscred.com created by three Bangladeshis. They are now headquartered in New York with a huge back office in Dhaka, and they have GE, Pepsi and the Economist as their clients. That's a good achievement, right?
But LDC's like us need to focus more on manufacturing so that we can at least ensure jobs for most of our non skilled work force. If we were to leap frog into the services industry, we would be completely eat up alive by the competition. Now our focus should be on building that sustainable workforce for the industry the basic infrastructures should built and then we should think about progress.
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #1511
dopekhor
bleh!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,377
Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
woah internet is going crazy


I see even after 6 years nobody's been able to match my speed! :P
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 03:21 AM   #1512
TIslam
Towhid Islam
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 8,966
Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
I see even after 6 years nobody's been able to match my speed! :P
Where would that be?
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #1513
dopekhor
bleh!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,377
Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIslam View Post
Where would that be?
having 10mbps+ connections
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #1514
nayeem007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,082
Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
What my message is that these attempts to leap frog, will not be very sustainable. Even the Indian companies came here after struggling a lot. Even now India hasn't been able to produce a Google, Facebook, Yahoo or anything of their likes. India just provides back end support and cheap R&D.

They came here after a lot o struggle. Their policy of industry related infrastructure building is what helped them prosper. We do not have such a thing. These companies that are investing, what are their visions? How do they plan to acquire sustainable talent?

I remember talking to this bhaia, some years back he started this IT firm and year or so down the line half his top notch talent left for abroad. Thereafter he found it very hard to recruit adequate talent. A problem also persistent in India.

If you look at India's IT related income a very large chuck comes from BPO, an industry it is facing intense competition from the Philippines. If we could take a piece of that Industry we would be generating a lot of revenue and be able to put money in the pockets of the youth. I mean how much training would you need to get someone to say, " Heelu Sarr, I jam Jun Ishmeeth how may I haalp ju' and so on. That industry failed miserably in Bangladesh.

Why cannot Bangladesh's website be as visually appealing as European ones? It is this "jane do na" mentality that acts as a major deterrence for our development. Which is why even after gaining test status a decade and a half ago. The Bangladesh cricket team plays to win hearts not matches and because the are gaining the same support from the crowd who have sub par expectation. The time for such has to be sent back to the annuls of history. It is this mentality that stops people from thriving and pushing their limits.

Check out this little pansy bantering;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152229075004644

What my I am trying to say at the end of the day is that we have very limited financial resources, why not use that to push towards industrialization that way we can help a lot of families prosper too. Every country goes through this evolutionary process. In my limited knowledge I am yet to see anyone leap frog. At the same time the educational institutes need to be revamped at least up a couple more notches. No body expects them to deliver at the level of the Indian IIT's but some where near by at least.

Once you have the proper or atleast trainable labor force you have a better shot at ROI.
Bangladesh is a country of 160 million people and if some individuals wants to be creative and do a start up in the technology field, let them do it. If the initiatives fail, then be it, after all it's their own personal time and investment.

From a government perspective, I agree that we should prioritize manufacturing industry to create job for the mass; this will help our economy on the long run. But private initiatives no matter what the sector is should be encouraged. That is, if today, few private investors in Bangladesh come up with a plan to send rocket to Mars, there should be absolutely no problem, since they are not wasting tax payer's money. A restrictive culture that does not foster innovation is not something we would like to pursue as a nation.

Also, when it comes to web designing of Bangladeshi sites compared to India, it's not just about the technical skills; it is about the relative budget and investment.. India is a market of billion people, some multinationals have a huge budget allocated there for advertising be it TV or social media, as a result their quality is also better. With a limited budget (sometimes it is 1/10th that of India), one cannot expect the same quality. But that does not mean, we should just stop developing the sector altogether, it is still serving our domestic market need.

As for IIT, well Bangladesh does have BUET; I have worked with both groups and they are equally talented. The difference is, India being a bigger country, their students get much more exposure from International firms than ours.

Finally, in the 21st century technology is omnipresent. That means, even if the thrust sectors for Bangladesh are garments, shipbuilding, pharmaceuticals and leather; we cannot ignore IT as it can help make those industries more effective through automation. There is lot of scope in banking and media sector as well, they are growing fast and heavily technology dependent. We can save millions if not billions just by serving local industry.

Last edited by nayeem007; February 28th, 2014 at 06:26 PM.
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #1515
TIslam
Towhid Islam
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 8,966
Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
having 10mbps+ connections
I meant (to ask) where (as in location)?
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #1516
TIslam
Towhid Islam
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 8,966
Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayeem007 View Post
Bangladesh is a country of 160 million people and if some individuals wants to be creative and do a start up in the technology field, let them do it. If the initiatives fail, then be it, after all it's their own personal time and investment.

..................

Finally, in the 21st century technology is omnipresent. That means, even if the thrust sectors for Bangladesh are garments, shipbuilding, pharmaceuticals and leather; we cannot ignore IT as it can help make those other industries more effective through automation. There is lot of scope in banking and media sector as well, they growing fast and are heavily technology dependent. We can save millions if not billions just by serving local industry.
Couldn't agree more. Local IT needs has to be met locally which leads to further growth and expansion (of IT). It hasn't been that long when cybercafes were the in thing in Dhaka, followed by wifi enabled food and entertainment establishments, since most people did not have broadband internet access in their homes, for whatever reasons (costs, scarce availability by way of providers, etc.). The next iteration (I would say expansion) occurred when every neighborhood cable TV mafia began offering internet connections, never mind the quality and complete lack of (customer) service. Today, not only there are not only a good many ISPs have established themselves, they appear to be reputable with their (product) offerings and (customer/support) services. When had set up wifi in some of my relatives homes as many as 8/10 years ago, those were rarities. Today, most tech savvy kids appear to have wifi in their homes, all over Dhaka.

I would therefore conclude there has been incremental progress and proliferation of IT in Bangladesh, albeit not at a desirable pace.
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #1517
HereWeGo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 560
Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post

Check out this little pansy bantering;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152229075004644

.
While the comments on the video been very positive but it is also naive at the same time.
1/First and foremost no Indian movie is shown at the theatres as of today,

2/Secondly you cannot stop piracy in Bangladesh, people still watches all the latest bollywood movies via copied DVD's and blue rays or through Torrent. If a foreign movie is shown at the theatres than that would benefit the creator and also the movie theater owners, plus govt earns extra revenue via taxes

3/ The good quality movie made by Bangladeshi producers and directors are very very rare. One cinema theatre cannot survive with 4 different shows a year (assuming BD releases 4 good movies a year). No wonder all the good movie theatres are out of business. Cineplex in Bashundhara and JFP needs good movies to make profit.

4/ Some Bangalis in general gets orgasmic everytime someone criticizes India. Obviously charge extra tax for showcasing foreign movies but banning it has had no positive impact in the past 40 years and never will


Finally a disclaimer : I do not watch any indian movies, I watched some as a kid millions of years back. I did see one some 3 years back after the movie recieved rave reviews and I liked it.
__________________

mirzazeehan, eMelus liked this post
HereWeGo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:59 AM   #1518
dopekhor
bleh!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,377
Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo View Post
While the comments on the video been very positive but it is also naive at the same time.
1/First and foremost no Indian movie is shown at the theatres as of today,

2/Secondly you cannot stop piracy in Bangladesh, people still watches all the latest bollywood movies via copied DVD's and blue rays or through Torrent. If a foreign movie is shown at the theatres than that would benefit the creator and also the movie theater owners, plus govt earns extra revenue via taxes

3/ The good quality movie made by Bangladeshi producers and directors are very very rare. One cinema theatre cannot survive with 4 different shows a year (assuming BD releases 4 good movies a year). No wonder all the good movie theatres are out of business. Cineplex in Bashundhara and JFP needs good movies to make profit.

4/ Some Bangalis in general gets orgasmic everytime someone criticizes India. Obviously charge extra tax for showcasing foreign movies but banning it has had no positive impact in the past 40 years and never will


Finally a disclaimer : I do not watch any indian movies, I watched some as a kid millions of years back. I did see one some 3 years back after the movie recieved rave reviews and I liked it.
The piracy Industry has helped a lot of Bengali people. Have you seen the malls in Dhaka? everyone has a floor dedicated to it.

The government earns more taxes from income tax of these stores. You are right on the part of the cineplex owners. They all have suffered from huge losses due to the lack of quality movies produced.

Even Pakistan has opened up its market for Indian movies to be played. I wonder who orgasmed at India being criticized? The average person no matter how much bollywood they watch aren't that India sympathetic. Just watch the circket games of India vs Pak. If you go to Old Dhaka you will see that the only people supporting the Indian team are Hindus. Many Pakistani players have commented that they felt like playing at home when playing in Bangladesh, due to the way the crowds cheer for them.

Theater owners for years have been pushing to allow foreign movies to be played but the is the so called "shongskritibadi" lobby that has played a strong part in ensuring that such does not happen.

I do watch bollywood time to time, the cheesiness is good change from time to time and the music produced by bollywood is also followed avidly by us Bengalis. Just go to any wedding I hardly ever heard any Bengali song being played.
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:09 AM   #1519
TIslam
Towhid Islam
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 8,966
Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
.... Just go to any wedding I hardly ever heard any Bengali song being played.
That is very sad, disappointing and unconscionable, at least to me. A few years ago my wife and I arranged a small wedding for her Canadian cousin in our town because the person she was marrying was on a US student visa. I selected a playlist of songs on my iPod that consisted of a fairly good amount of Bangla music as well as the usual wedding themed bollywood music. When the Bangla songs came on, both the bride and the groom poo pooed on them and I was forced to stop playing Bangla songs.
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #1520
jason.kazi
Supermember
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,434
Likes (Received): 511

LTE wait likely to end in 2015 while device price a challenge
Muhammad Zahidul Islam

The service providers in the country will launch LTE commercially in 2015

While the rest of the world is heading towards the long term evolution (LTE) services at a rapid pace, Bangladesh’s users may need to wait one more year to enjoy the high-speed wireless data communication.

According to the market insiders, the service providers in the country will launch LTE commercially in 2015. Before that, some companies will go into test operation of the service.

They however said the LTE business will be a challenge in the Bangladeshi market as the communication device price is still more than $100.

Some said the price would come down by half when the big Chinese and India markets were fully blown.

Between December 2009 and January 2014, 264 LTE networks were launched commercially worldwide across 101 countries, said GSM Association Intelligence in the recent Mobile World Congress held in Barcelona.

According to the GSM Association Intelligence, there are currently more than 40 crore LTE subscribers around the globe, which is expected to exceed 180 crore by 2018 and 250 crore by 2020.

The Asia Pacific region will be the next vibrant market for LTE, drawing 80% of total subscribers worldwide by 2020. Currently, it is less than 10%.

The market insiders said Bangladesh’s preparation for LTE was not adequate.

Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) has already awarded LTE licences to three service providers while five mobile phone operators with 3G licences can bring the service without a separate LTE licence.

The telecom watchdog is planning now to give two more LTE licences. Out of them, one will be for the state-owned Bangladesh Telecommunication Company Ltd (BTCL). BTCL provides land phone service.

The country’s largest mobile phone operator Grameenphone however said they didn’t have any plan now to come with LTE service.

“We have no immediate plan for LTE though it is an opportunity for us,” Vivek Sood, CEO of Grameenphone, told the Dhaka Tribune recently.

He said the price of LTE device has remained a major factor in Bangladesh’s market.

Sources said the device price is more than $100.

“The rest of the world is moving for faster internet service LTE, but we see no prospect of it in the Bangladeshi market for the time being,” said Vivek Sood.

While the mobile phone operators were not showing an immediate interest on LTE, the Wi-Max operators had showed the interest.

Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) has given LTE approval to two Wi-Max operators - Banglalion and Qubee.

The operators have been asked to pay all their dues to BTRC before going into launch.

BTRC made a change to the Bangladesh Internet Exchange Ltd (BIEL) to allow it establish LTE network before awarding licence and allocating spectrum to the company.

“We are moving towards LTE. But before the second quarter of 2015, it will not be viable for us to commercially launch the service in Bangladesh” said Faisal Hyder, CEO of Augere Wireless Broadband Bangladesh Ltd (Qubee).

He also said involvement with LTE business in the country $100.

- See more at: http://www.dhakatribune.com/technolo....5HZ0iIo0.dpuf
__________________
Positively Bangladesh on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/positivelybangladesh

Updated Dhaka project blog with all ongoing/upcoming projects with location info: http://www.dhakaprojects.blogspot.com/

Updated Cox's Bazar hotel project blog with all ongoing/upcoming projects: http://upcomingbdhotels.blogspot.com...ar-hotels.html

eMelus liked this post
jason.kazi no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu