daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Prairie Provinces

Old June 21st, 2006, 10:25 PM   #1
coldrsx
OMEGA here i come

Likes (Received): 0

EDMONTON: Proposals & Construction

thought it was about time again.....please add:

U/C

Icon 1 (30)
Parliament (18)
Rivervista (13)
Illuminada (12)
venetian (6)
imperial (6)
mystery loft (wig boutique) (4)
vivacity (18) - well were else am i to put it...it should be U/C:>
Fancy WAM building - (8?)
SOHO (4)
element lofts (4)
Cecil site (4 or more?)
Devonian retrofit
YMCA (3)
UofA Bay (4)
UCAMA museum
97street "arts lofts"

In planning

Century Park - a whole lotta woman
Belamy Tower (32)
Serenity
Icon 2
Meridian
Founder's ridge
arlington + tower
Rossdale green
corner 1 towers
zen
illuminada 3
Alta vista 2
roundhouse
the Neo
gates on 17th (rumour has it rejected by design panel?)
Norquest College 100million expansion - 3 buildings
Grant MacEwan arts centre
AGA
Museum

Rumours

abbey lane (104st 97ave)
omega 2?
Office tower on jasper/102st
crown plaza condo tower
Community Garden tower (99ave/Bellamy)
stationlands ( i have to sorry)
carma/abbey north edge 4 towers
WEM condo
WEM office
WEM convention centre

thats all i can think of.
coldrsx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 21st, 2006, 11:00 PM   #2
Distill3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrsx
thought it was about time again.....please add:

rumours:

WEM condo
WEM office
WEM convention centre
as an exCalgarian, i think the last thing edmonton needs is more development near WEM to take away from its downtown revitalisation. i hope that one gets killed before it gets announced.
Distill3d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:05 AM   #3
coldrsx
OMEGA here i come

"as an exCalgarian, i think the last thing edmonton needs is more development near WEM to take away from its downtown revitalisation. i hope that one gets killed before it gets announced."

those days are essentially done with...downtown is on a roll...

WEM condos and an office tower would not take away from downtown as those people choosing here would not have chosen downtown anyways.

As for the convention centre...it is supposedly a ice rink expansion and some convension space...which wouldnt really interfere with SHAW.

Personally i want WEM to do these additions...it needs all the modernization it can get.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:03 AM   #4
Distill3d

Quote:
...it needs all the modernization it can get.
oh, i don't disagree with you there. but, i think maybe a face lift ala Chinook Center/Market Mall in calgary would be more cost effective.

as for downtown being on a roll, from what i can see, it looks kinda dismal and sleepy, but maybe i'm missing something. however, rice howard way is the best part of downtown, and, seemingly undiscovered too....its not like the Stephen Avenue's or Gastown's of the world.
Distill3d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM   #5
coldrsx
OMEGA here i come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d
oh, i don't disagree with you there. but, i think maybe a face lift ala Chinook Center/Market Mall in calgary would be more cost effective.

as for downtown being on a roll, from what i can see, it looks kinda dismal and sleepy, but maybe i'm missing something. however, rice howard way is the best part of downtown, and, seemingly undiscovered too....its not like the Stephen Avenue's or Gastown's of the world.

can downtown be better sure.....but it is doing well. Every downtown has quiet areas at different times, but there has been a lot more nightlife added, restaurants, mom and pop shops, city centre has been doing well, and the condo redevelopment is hot.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM   #6
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 163

Any pics or website for RiceHoward out there?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:07 PM   #7
coldrsx
OMEGA here i come

prob not......

it is a wonderful 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 (soon the be extended south) block area of semi pedestrian roadway with some great restaurants.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:52 AM   #8
Daver
The Republic of Alberta

I was in Edmonton recently,And I'm wondering were all the developments are. The only development I see is the need for major road and infrastucture improvements. I do like Ed, but Rexall Place and the entire Northlands grounds despirately need millions in improvement The whole place is falling apart at once. That's a poor impression for convention attenders (me).I noticed aswell that the downtown is deterriorating overall, and seems the city is turning into Detroit(I've been there too). And a note to the wise is...remove all those damn unsighty wires from above your road ways. Compared to Calgary, Edmonton doesn't seem to be as clean.

"Alberta first, last and forever" - Daver

Last edited by Daver; June 23rd, 2006 at 06:59 AM.
Daver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM   #9
coldrsx
OMEGA here i come

"I do like Ed, but Rexall Place and the entire Northlands grounds despirately need millions in improvement The whole place is falling apart at once. That's a poor impression for convention attenders (me)."

correct...they are planning a $150,000,000 reno.....2x the size of current.

"I noticed aswell that the downtown is deterriorating overall, and seems the city is turning into Detroit(I've been there too)."

some parts are still needing improvement, but dude...that comment is way off...i could easily say the same about parts of calgary's downtown

"And a note to the wise is...remove all those damn unsighty wires from above your road ways. Compared to Calgary, Edmonton doesn't seem to be as clean."

see, unlike calgary we strive to be enviro...those are for trolley, emission free, noise free, buses.....
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM   #10
IKAN104
Big Dog

Quote:

"And a note to the wise is...remove all those damn unsighty wires from above your road ways. Compared to Calgary, Edmonton doesn't seem to be as clean."

see, unlike calgary we strive to be enviro...those are for trolley, emission free, noise free, buses.....
You're both right. They are enviro but they are ugly. I've been complaining to council for years that those things need to be removed. Several years ago they voted to leave the decision until 2008. Hopefully when the time comes they will do the right thing and rid this city of those ugly wires.

But to be fair, even if the majority of Edmontonians would like to see those wires removed, it's not as easy as that. Studies have to be done, decisions have to be made and money has to be spent. You can't just say "remove the wires" and it's done.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:55 PM   #11
CanadianCentaur
Briareos Hecatonchires

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
I noticed aswell that the downtown is deterriorating overall, and seems the city is turning into Detroit(I've been there too).
Old July 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM   #12
cmd uw
Urbis Plannerus

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur
x2....nice try Daver.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:02 AM   #13
Daver
The Republic of Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd uw
x2....nice try Daver.
Ok not as bad as Detroit..sorry! but from what i've seen. There needs to be improvements...Calgary IS cleaner. Hopefully there is something in the works to improve this for our capitol city.

Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:14 AM   #14
Daver
The Republic of Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKAN104
You're both right. They are enviro but they are ugly. I've been complaining to council for years that those things need to be removed. Several years ago they voted to leave the decision until 2008. Hopefully when the time comes they will do the right thing and rid this city of those ugly wires.

But to be fair, even if the majority of Edmontonians would like to see those wires removed, it's not as easy as that. Studies have to be done, decisions have to be made and money has to be spent. You can't just say "remove the wires" and it's done.
Hello, Edmonton has combustion buses too. Having a few electrics downtown doesn't say Edmonton's environmentally compliant...The wires are UGLY!!! And that's what people rememeber. If that's thier chioce then so be it. Edmonton has to come up to modern standards and get rid of the liberal "nimbys". ...sorry.

Last edited by Daver; July 3rd, 2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #15
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
. If that's thier chioce then so be it. Edmonton has to come up to modern standards and get rid of the liberal "nimbys". ...sorry.

gotta bash the left leaning whenever you can, eh?

you may prefer Calgary over Edmonton but from my prespective neither felt 'better' than the other unless refering to the utterly superficial such as who has the bigger skyline

Quote:
The wires are UGLY!!! And that's what people rememeber.
however if that is what visitors remember then there probably are more serious underlying issues which can't be solved by simply removing the unsightly wires - likewise with cleanliness
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #16
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 163

Funny how so called "booming Edmonton" has only 6 high rises under construction but smaller London has 5.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #17
cmd uw
Urbis Plannerus

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
Funny how so called "booming Edmonton" has only 6 high rises under construction but smaller London has 5.
Aaaaah, yes, the 'so called' boom in Edmonton...hahahahaahaha

Yep, things are suuuure quiet out here in Edmonton....

Indeed sir, you've just demonstrated your ignorance on the world wide web.
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #18
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 352

wow .... not to bright.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:23 AM   #19
WinnipegPatriot

Likes (Received): 90

I am in edmonton for a wedding, and I have not been here since 99. All I can say is it is indeed on a roll, and I am impressed with all of the condos, etc developed in and surrounding downtown. Part of me wants to stay here, and not return to the peg, but I am hoping things change in the peg soon, and we start seeing more of the developments we are currently witnessing. I would much rather be in Edmonton than Calgary (I lived in Calgary for 3 years). The landscape (hills, lush trees, etc) and the overall feel make Edmonton more cosmopolitan in my eyes.
WinnipegPatriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #20
Spill

A development application for a condominium was submitted to the city last Wednesday, September 6. It's on the southwest corner of 105 Street and 104 Avenue directly north of Map Town.

The 22-floor structure fronts on 105 Street with parking on five half levels underground along with the rear (west) portion of the main floor. The east portion of the main floor includes commercial space.

Think of a taller Omega with an 18-foot decorative spire on each corner.
Spill no está en línea   Reply With Quote