daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #1
aeolian

Likes (Received): 852

Promoting Liverpool as a place to live

A sunday newspaper ran an article recently on how most people are bing priced out of London - it's too expensive to own a home especially if you are considering a family. There is a developing trend for people to move from London to other UK cities. They mentioned a list of these great cities that have been revitalised: Man, Lds, Brum, N'castle, N'ham*... Liverpool was absent from that list. That riled me, so I emailed the editor suggesting the'd missed a bit of a gem and their readers would be pleasantly surprised. Anyway - they will be running a feature on Liverpool and sending someone up in the coming week.

I'd like to gather ideas to sell the city region to them, set-out our facts and showcase they best Gtr. Liverpool has to offer.

The article on Brum had a 10 did you know facts section. The article discussed perceptions, cultural offer, transport, economy and jobs and of course profiled the areas and housing available.

So what do we have that is exceptional that will attract interest.

Some suggestions:
  • Canning - Georgian architecture in central Liverpool
  • City Centre / Waterfront - Biggest city centre population of any English city bar London (40k), Albert Dock (grade 1 listed), Liverpool One
  • Lark Lane - Bohemian vibe next to Sefton Park (Grade I listed)
  • Cressington Park - Victorian villas in a sylvan setting with it's own train station
  • Formby - National Trust Formby Point Beach & red squirrels
  • Crosby - Beach & Anthony Gormley's Another Place
  • Oxton - Birkenhead Park (Grade I listed and the model for Central park NY) and UK's No. 1 Restaurant Fraiche
  • Hoylake / West Kirkby - Royal Liverpool Golf course (The Open) and Hilbre Island

Culture:
  • The RLPO & Vassily Petrenko
  • National Galleries - More that any other city outside of London - e.g The Walker
  • Theatre - RIBA winning Everyman, Playhouse, ...

Economy / Employment:
  • Fastest growing economy outside the SE
  • Large biotech sector with new biocampus linked to UoL and new hospital, World leading School of Tropical Medicine
  • Large Wealth management industry
  • Knowledge Sector - Universities investments, city centre science parks, Daersbury Sci-Tech
  • Booming city centre - Billions being invested - new conference centre & exhibition centres and , fastest growing hotel sector in the UK
  • Automotive - JLR and Vauxhall and supply chain
  • The Baltic Triangle: Creative Hub, Small Business mecca

It would be great to build a list of facts and other points to get across - and to quantify them with figures / show their national importance / have something to say about them to give them colour.

(* I try to avoid spelling out some other city names as it attracts others on to Liverpool boards, and the discussion gets derailed)
aeolian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #2
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6714

I think the city regions natural assets are very unrepresented and are definitely a great way to sell the city. There's over one hundred miles of coastline and many top beaches and we have the largest dune system in England, it's perfect for families.
Also the region is a world-class destination for golf, with no less than seven courses in the ‘Top 100 Courses of the UK & Ireland’, the concentration of championship golf available is unparalleled and that should be a massive draw.
You can dive in the docks, dive shipwrecks in Liverpool Bay, go deep sea fishing from the port or have a close up encounter with Seals on a boat in West Kirby, what's not to like?

aeolian, the golden vision liked this post
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #3
auzdafluff

Likes (Received): 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeolian View Post
A sunday newspaper ran an article recently on how most people are bing priced out of London - it's too expensive to own a home especially if you are considering a family. There is a developing trend for people to move from London to other UK cities. They mentioned a list of these great cities that have been revitalised: Man, Lds, Brum, N'castle, N'ham*... Liverpool was absent from that list. That riled me, so I emailed the editor suggesting the'd missed a bit of a gem and their readers would be pleasantly surprised. Anyway - they will be running a feature on Liverpool and sending someone up in the coming week.

I'd like to gather ideas to sell the city region to them, set-out our facts and showcase they best Gtr. Liverpool has to offer.

The article on Brum had a 10 did you know facts section. The article discussed perceptions, cultural offer, transport, economy and jobs and of course profiled the areas and housing available.

Some suggestions:
  • City Centre / Waterfront - Biggest city centre population of any English city bar London (40k), Albert Dock (grade 1 listed), Liverpool One
  • Cressington Park - Victorian villas in a sylvan setting with it's own train station
  • Oxton - Birkenhead Park (Grade I listed and the model for Central park NY) and UK's No. 1 Restaurant Fraiche
  • Hoylake / West Kirkby - Royal Liverpool Golf course (The Open) and Hilbre Island

Culture:
  • National Galleries - More that any other city outside of London - e.g The Walker

Economy / Employment:
  • Large biotech sector with new biocampus linked to UoL and new hospital, World leading School of Tropical Medicine
  • Knowledge Sector - Universities investments, city centre science parks, Daersbury Sci-Tech
  • Booming city centre - Billions being invested - new conference centre & exhibition centres and , fastest growing hotel sector in the UK

It would be great to build a list of facts and other points to get across - and to quantify them with figures / show their national importance / have something to say about them to give them colour.

(* I try to avoid spelling out some other city names as it attracts others on to Liverpool boards, and the discussion gets derailed)
I'd be happy to provide a vox pop as someone who used to live in the South for work, and actually changed career rather than be forced to live and work down there.

aeolian liked this post
auzdafluff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #4
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3083

When I lived in London, I met this guy at work who was really into art. He said that he and his wife had seriously considered moving to Liverpool because of the art collections alone - the Walker, Tate, Sudley House and Lady Lever.

Centurio, openlyJane liked this post
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #5
Centurio

Likes (Received): 4529

Variety and quality of life has to be top of the list for me. Part of this is people realising that the city doesn't stop at the borough border - far from it. Shame it's not in Summer as they'd have a nicer time, not to mention they could have been tipped off to get a Saveaway and use the excellent public transit to explore.

The outdoors, ranging from the waterfront everyone knows to the beaches in Crosby/Formby, and also all the way around the Wirral is an absolute plus, but not sure how you show it off in this weather.

The variety of neighbourhoods, from Aigburth, Mossley Hill, to Crosby and the Georgian Quarter and other city centre districts. Communities like the Colonnades are excellent for slightly older monied types, with all the city centre on their doorstep, a safe environment and all the culturally enriching things the city has to offer.

For monied types, I also think they would be very surprised if they were to scratch the surface of Liverpool and discover the established middle/upper middle class that resides here, part of which underpins the cultural offer like the Phil, the theatres, the museums and the art galleries.

I would definitely take them up to Hope Street and brief the businesses up there to expect them. Take them into the likes of the London Carriage Works and get them talking to the big cheeses in charge.

I think there are some basic lines that they need to be fed, to demonstrate the context of the city:
  • "One and a half million people live in the city today, and a further one million in the metropolitan region - a figure which, for all the talk of decline, actually hasn't changed much in 50 years."
  • "The city is proud of its extensive metro system called Merseyrail, which is the busiest network outside of London. Just like the tube, it can take you to furthest reaches of the city, which in Liverpool's case includes a large number of beaches. Ambitious plans for new lines and dozens of new stations have also recently been revealed by the local TfL equivalent, Merseytravel"
  • "Liverpool was selected as European Capital of Culture in 2008 and, following the £1bn private investment funded transformation of the L1 district of its city centre (co-incidentally called Liverpool One), the city is now a top ten retail and tourist mecca."
  • "With more museums and galleries than anywhere other than London, and thriving World respected theatre scene, Liverpool is the undisputed cultural capital of the regions."
  • "Liverpool has one of the lowest crime rates per capita of any major city in Britain."
  • "Such is Liverpool's resurgence that it is one of the few places that actually added jobs to its economy during the recession, even as its public sector shrank. During the period, Liverpool created more jobs per head than another city (including London)."

-

aeolian liked this post

Last edited by Centurio; January 25th, 2015 at 11:23 PM.
Centurio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #6
newdoader

Likes (Received): 99

Maybe the basic lines should read basic lies,,One and a half million people live in the city today, large number of beaches.I wont bother with the rest, god you are seriously deluded.
newdoader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:53 PM   #7
Skewed

Likes (Received): 1534

This is why the suggestion I saw on another thread to set up a well managed social media outlet to hold the media and city leaders to account, albeit in a small way for now needs to be set up asap.

Someone needs to police and help start reverse the downgrading the snubbing of Liverpool that persists whether it's a big intended conspiracy or not.

I personally think we should also be pushing the city as a place to work and invest just as hard, if not harder.

aeolian liked this post
Skewed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #8
the pool08

Likes (Received): 1359

Man, Lds, Brum, N'castle, N'ham... mention that liverpools crime rate is lower then the 4
the pool08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #9
design_man

Likes (Received): 943

I'd also mention proximity to North Wales and Manchester as assets for Greater Liverpool - both are really close.

Cycling/walking/ferry to work important assets, puts city on a par with places like Bristol that stress such features.

Important to name-check diversity: is the city and its region safe and comfortable for people from minority groups? Statistically, Greater Liverpool is quite white, so important to illustrate that such statistics hide the reality of a tolerant, diverse and quite cosmopolitan city, eg big and regular African and Arab festivals in the summer. Worth highlighting that there is LGBT life in the north outside Manchester also?

Worth naming some good schools?

Well done and thanks to Aeolian for contacting the editor and making something happen, that's great.
design_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:39 AM   #10
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 42496

Quote:

Some suggestions:

Culture:

Economy / Employment:

I don't want to appear arrogant, but I really do think I have the largest collection Liverpool photographs ( possibly) that exists? I am more than happy for people to link people/organisations into my thread; in fact, that is primarily what it exists for...... Please do.

Link beneath this post.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #11
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdoader View Post
Maybe the basic lines should read basic lies,,One and a half million people live in the city today, large number of beaches.I wont bother with the rest, god you are seriously deluded.
TBH, you confuse me.... I know you post a lot on the Manchester forum - but live in Southport. I never get the feeling that you are a friend of Liverpool; in fact, quite often the opposite? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #12
Centurio

Likes (Received): 4529

I'm not wasting my time on him.

-

Paul D liked this post
Centurio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:59 AM   #13
mandykore

Likes (Received): 73

Probably the best place in the country to live in if you enjoy the hills. We are within easy access of Snowdonia, Lakes, Yorkshire Dales and Derbyshire Peak District.

And isn't Merseyrail the best performing train company in the country?
mandykore está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #14
yoshef
likes beer

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:
[*]City Centre / Waterfront - Biggest city centre population of any English city bar London (40k)

The city centre population trend would you a bit of context to that flat figure - there was a nice little graph in City Residential's last report - Q4 2014

aeolian liked this post

Last edited by yoshef; January 26th, 2015 at 11:10 AM.
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #15
auzdafluff

Likes (Received): 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdoader View Post
What?

Population? Yup. Just because the government is determined to make Manchester and Leeds look bigger than Liverpool – and therefore manipulate the figures through quangos-in-disguise like Centres for Cities – doesn't make it a lie.

Beaches. Yes, actually, there are a ton of beaches around. Want me to list them?
  • Crosby
  • Formby
  • New Brighton
  • Wallasey
  • West Kirby
  • Hoylake

They might not be Mediterranean sun traps, but they are still beaches. Hell, even Runcorn technically has a beach.

Need I go on?
auzdafluff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #16
Skewed

Likes (Received): 1534

Are there any business/jobs stats to throw in? That's ultimately what people will move here for.
Skewed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #17
James2014

Likes (Received): 768

Why have the mancs had so much interest in the Liverpool forum recently? Never bothered looking on the Manchester forum, as it is of no interest to me...

bluesnapper, Centurio liked this post
James2014 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #18
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzdafluff View Post
What?

Population? Yup. Just because the government is determined to make Manchester and Leeds look bigger than Liverpool – and therefore manipulate the figures through quangos-in-disguise like Centres for Cities – doesn't make it a lie.

Beaches. Yes, actually, there are a ton of beaches around. Want me to list them?
  • Crosby
  • Formby
  • New Brighton
  • Wallasey
  • West Kirby
  • Hoylake

They might not be Mediterranean sun traps, but they are still beaches. Hell, even Runcorn technically has a beach.

Need I go on?
Thurstaston beach.....particularly lovely too.....and Hale.....

The Liverpool city region really does have some lovely beaches. Not only are they comprised of golden sand, but are often flanked by sand hills and are haven for wildlife. I love to walk all of these beaches. I really like the walk along New Brighton beach - riverside - when the tide is out, as it is full of bladderwrack & mussels. And the walk along the beach from West Kirby to Hoylake presents you with some amazing sandstone outcrops.

There is even a small beach over on the Rock Ferry side of the river - mainly used by the locals.

Last edited by openlyJane; January 26th, 2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #19
baias

Location: live in a beautiful over 1800 ft high valley in the woodlands some 30 miles from bilbao
Likes (Received): 1042

-port sunlight
-the environment, with the bird sanctuary around hilbre island and the amazing beaches, sand dunes and pinewoods of formby.crosby
-universities, colleges, schools
-good and brand new hospitals
-leafy suburbs with outstanding quality of life
-an important and expanding trading port
-a city centre of world significanct architecture

design_man liked this post
baias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #20
openlyJane
Human Being

During a recent walk at Thurstaston I thought how there can be fewer more lovely places to live in England than The Wirral. Liverpool city centre on your doorstep and accessible by Merseyrail; surrounded, literally, by beautiful beaches and coastline; sandstone outcrops which resemble something you'd see in the Grand Canyon ( albeit smaller in scale, obviously); lovely little hamlets ( Thornton Hough, Raby Mere, Brimstage....); some beautiful housing stock......It comes as no surprise that Rafa & family decided to stay put in Caldy.