search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM   #2361
Airvan00

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboard99 View Post
I agree in principle, but at some point in the future (long into the future) the $$$ will stack up to make Kingsford Smith a business focused, high value, domestic only airport, build a high speed link to Western Sydney and develop the land of the current international terminal, main runway and cross runway. The $$ will be what drives that kind of decision, not any kind of strategic decision.
Maybe, but even the Labour Party don't agree any more. They have reicently changed their rhetoric, it is no longer a replacement airport but now "western sydneys first airport". So forget about getting to the Sydney CBD but concentrate on the access time to Parramatta CBD.
Airvan00 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 05:07 AM   #2362
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboard99 View Post
I agree in principle, but at some point in the future (long into the future) the $$$ will stack up to make Kingsford Smith a business focused, high value, domestic only airport, build a high speed link to Western Sydney and develop the land of the current international terminal, main runway and cross runway. The $$ will be what drives that kind of decision, not any kind of strategic decision.
You could kill the bulk of domestic traffic with a good high speed train.

But (hence my comments to Zoom) it would have to be a killer HSR, not just an also ran via Shepparton and Wagga and Yass and reversed into Canberra and yadadadada.
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM   #2363
OZ Rails

Likes (Received): 158

To me, with information released by the NSW Government in the past and now Federal Labor (with state Labor following no doubt), I think its a very good chance that the initial Western Airport rail connection will be a continuation of the SWRL from Leppington to St Marys using DD trains. The second express line would be something for the future.

The NSW Government has indicated they feel that the rail needs to focus on centres in the west since this is a Western Sydney airport rather than focus on connectivity to the Sydney CBD. If that is the case then the interesting part to me is what happens at St Marys.

Does the line just terminate? If so it would be great if they could create cross platform Interchange for access to trains west to Penrith and East to Parramatta. St Marys station platforms are already configured this way.

Or does the line stay underground through St Marys and then continue Northwards to meet up with either Schofields Sydney Trains station or Cudegong Rd Metro station? In that scenario I wonder if it makes more sense to continue Sydney Metro from Cudgegong Rd down to St Marys instead and have the SWRL run west to terminate at Penrith? This would require expansion on the Western line of course.

Or if following this scenario you terminate the SWRL at the Western Airport and have the Sydney Metro extend from Cudegong Rd through St Marys and also terminate at the airport. However this requires provision for 3 lines if you still have an express line in the future. All up there would most likely be a decent amount of extra cost.

Interestingly Sydney Trains have announced the T2 line will remove SWRL trains from using the East Hills line and have Cumberland line trains only using the SWRL rather than going to Campbelltown. So how that would effect the idea of CBD bound Express Western Airport trains is up for debate.

Personally I would have thought that connectivity with Parramatta would be more important than the Sydney CBD but maybe I'm missing something as none of the ideas out in the media (with the exception of Parramatta council) seem to focus on this, its about the CBD connection. I would hope to have decent connections with Parramatta, Blacktown, Liverpool, Campbelltown and Penrith. Obviously this would require a change for some of the destinations but hopefully you can make these easy.
OZ Rails no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM   #2364
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 757

I think this misconceives what the section from St Marys to Penrith is.

A convenient fiction based on current trackage maybe, but they seem to be adding the last 3 stations to a long distance commuting tier, while St Marys inwards is a separate tier.

Logically then, you can run trains to St Marys from Sydney then run them south to Badgers then east to Leppington and back to Sydney.
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #2365
hornetfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Rails View Post
The NSW Government has indicated they feel that the rail needs to focus on centres in the west since this is a Western Sydney airport rather than focus on connectivity to the Sydney CBD. If that is the case then the interesting part to me is what happens at St Marys.
Don't also discount that the NSW Government may no longer wish to extend the Sydney Trains network if at all possible...
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #2366
OZ Rails

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetfig View Post
Don't also discount that the NSW Government may no longer wish to extend the Sydney Trains network if at all possible...
I don't (and my options hinted at this) but as I said in my first sentence they have made murmurs that it will be a continuation of the DD SWRL.
OZ Rails no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mandurahboyz