daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Development and Business > Υποδομές και Οικονομία | Infrastructure and Economy

Υποδομές και Οικονομία | Infrastructure and Economy Οικονομία και Υποδομές | Economy & Infrastructure

Old March 9th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #1
LEAFS FANATIC

Likes (Received): 212

Πίστα Formula 1 | Greek F1 Track

Greece Might Build Formula One Track to Help Lure Tourists
March 9, 2005
SportsLine.com wire reports

ATHENS, Greece -- Greece is considering building a Formula One track to tune up the country's vital tourism industry.

"There are some plans on the table about the creation of a Formula One racing track. It requires some caution but it is something we could see as positive," Sports Minister Giorgos Orphanos told the Associated Press on Wednesday.

Tourism Minister Dimitris Avramopoulos said that a possible location was the Viotia region, about 60 miles north of Athens. He said a final decision would be announced soon.

Avramopoulos made his comments after meeting with Prime Minister Costas Caramanlis to discuss a major promotional campaign already underway.

Greece is spending $75 million in 2005 to promote itself as a year-round vacation destination.

Tourism accounts for 18 percent of the country's Gross Domestic Product.

Avramopoulos, a former mayor of Athens, visited Los Angeles at the start of March to try and woo Hollywood producers to make movies in Greece.

"It's a shame that in the past we've missed out on major productions shooting in Greece ... we must become competitive in the international arena," he said.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin, a fictional World War II love story starring Oscar-winner Nicholas Cage, was filmed in 2000 on the Ionian island of Cephalonia.
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 15th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #2
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 1

That would be extra cool I am not a big fan of Formula One, but it would be, nevertheless, a great asset for Greece.

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #3
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 561

Yep, and they sounded serious on this one from what I saw on the TV. Much more serious than other times...
Old March 16th, 2005, 03:49 AM   #4
Prometheus
A pimp named Slickback

Likes (Received): 8

http://www.canada.com/sports/auto/st...6-1d4a6f9f77b4

Quote:
Greece seeks outside advice for building Formula One track

Canadian Press

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

ADVERTISEMENT

ATHENS (AP) - Greece is seeking foreign advice as it considers building a Formula One track to tune up the country's vital tourism industry.

Tourism Minister Dimitris Avramopoulos said Tuesday that an expert involved in constructing the Bahrain circuit would soon visit Greece. He gave no further details. Avramopoulos said last week the government was considering building a Grand Prix track, mentioning the Viotia region - about 100 kilometres north of Athens - as a possible location.

A final decision will be announced soon, he said.

Stung by dismal bookings during the Olympics last year, Greece is spending 60 million euros ($96.1 million Cdn) in 2005 to promote itself as a year-round vacation destination.

Tourism accounts for 18 per cent of the country's Gross Domestic Product.

Bahrain held its inaugural race last year at a $150-million US circuit.

Virtual Greece

MACEDONIA:HELLENIC AND PROUD
Prometheus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #5
messiah
BANNED

Location: Istanbul Miklagord Esdambol Vizantion Bizantium Antoninya NovaRoma Konstantinopolis Vizant Dersaadet
Likes (Received): 6

I hope for you this project gets realized!I'm a big fan of F1 and I can't tell you how happy I was when we built our track.Greece was successful in such issues in the last years.(Wonderful Olympics games,EURO2004) and I think it's sounds realistic Greece to host a race!
messiah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #6
LEAFS FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah
I hope for you this project gets realized!I'm a big fan of F1 and I can't tell you how happy I was when we built our track.Greece was successful in such issues in the last years.(Wonderful Olympics games,EURO2004) and I think it's sounds realistic Greece to host a race!
Thanks!

If it happens, it will create huge tourism for Athens and Istanbul and people who love F1 racing will travel from Turkey to Greece and from Greece to Turkey to watch the races. Also, you will have people from all over the world coming to our countries to see the races, so it is an added bonus!
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #7
3tmk
Rusty Robot

this brings another related question, which racetrack will they throw out of the season to make way for a new one?
currently it's at 18, and even though I would love to see it every weekend, we need to be reasonable, and I guess they could easily do a max of 25 races per season.
anyway, once again we ask, with all the new racetracks UC and talks about F1 hosting all over the world, someone has to go!
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #8
Ozcan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

είναι βέβαιος?

Last edited by Ozcan; March 19th, 2005 at 07:46 PM.
Ozcan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #9
asst31

Likes (Received): 0

I think a moto track would be more reasonable.There are many new F1 tracks around the world and it would be difficult for another "new entry" host a race ,unless the FIA begins a kind of rotation every year...

P.S.Ozcan,appreciate your effort but it doesn't make much sense....
asst31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #10
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 341

Greek F1 Grand Prix

I was wondering, why dont greece apply for the f1? it would be great having an athens streat circut racing around the Acropolis...what do you guys think?
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #11
jimm

Likes (Received): 1

Turkey is near by
jimm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #12
SDfan

Likes (Received): 3

^sorry but what does that mean. Im not turkish I just don't understand.
SDfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #13
LEAFS FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan
^sorry but what does that mean. Im not turkish I just don't understand.

What he meant was that Konstantinople (Istanbul) will now have F1 racing.

He assumes that Greece cant host the race because of its close proximity (geographically) to Turkey.

However, that is utter rubbish. Various European countries are in the F1 circuit and they are very close to eachother as well.

Greece can, and will, build an F1 race track and it will definitely be one of the best in the world! Can you imagine a track running near ancient sites or buildings? It would be amazing!!! We already host one of the top off-road races in the world: the Acrpolis Rally so this would be another mega-project that Greece would love to take on!

P.s. Congratulations to Panathinaikos for beating Efer Pilsen. The game went to overtime and it was a good game. 14,000 fans packed the stadium and there was only one negative isolated incident. Unfortunately, one fan (probably drunk) rushed the floor after the game and ran towards the Turkish team. He was stopped before he could reach them and arrested. The game report did not even mention the incident!

Way to go PAO!!!
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #14
SDfan

Likes (Received): 3

LEAFS FANATIC thank you very much for clearing that up. I understand relations between the two countries are getting better so I was wondering what Turkey had to do with this. Greece can do anything now that its hosted one of the most modern Olympics. F1 is very big in Europe, just like NASCAR is here in the US. Well more recognition for Greece is always good in my mind.
SDfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #15
Prometheus
A pimp named Slickback

Likes (Received): 8

Eh guys the proposal for the F1 track is to the north of Athens not in Athens. Where could anyone build an F1 track with the Acropolis in view?

Athens has the rally for scenic views like that.

Virtual Greece

MACEDONIA:HELLENIC AND PROUD
Prometheus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #16
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
Eh guys the proposal for the F1 track is to the north of Athens not in Athens. Where could anyone build an F1 track with the Acropolis in view?

Athens has the rally for scenic views like that.
Not in a million years.

All @ Why always has to be athens? I dont get it.

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #17
asst31

Athens (at least a city circuit )won't be considered,i agree with Konstantinoupolis (btw wellcome back...).
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #18
Giorgio

omg...who mentions turkey anywere here? Greece is a Diffrent Country...I know that athens street circut wont happen i dont want it to either but i gave an example... and theres no room in athens to build a circut it would have to go up top somewere...i wanted Helleniko to be a circuit but the olympics won that again
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #19
asst31

The old "Elliniko" airport could still become part of a circuit but i think there are better projects for the future use of that area.
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #20
Giorgio

name better uses...we need something like the f1 i believe to further promote Hellas

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: