daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Old January 27th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #1
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 146

Tampa District on the Rise- Soho

Soho has been getting a lot of play lately, so I think it's time for its own thread.

Building A New Avenue

Martin Lum, left, of List Properties goes over blueprints with Zimmer Construction project manager Nathan Zimmer outside 407 N. Howard Avenue.

Photo by: KELVIN MA / The Tampa Tribune

By JOSE PATINO GIRONA The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jan 27, 2007

WEST TAMPA - Howard Avenue may have started to redefine itself.

Just north of Kennedy Boulevard, six professional office buildings have recently been completed or are under construction.

Some developers predict that Howard from Kennedy to Interstate 275 will become an office building row.

"It is your almost-Hyde Park location," said Martin Lum of LIST Realty of Tampa. "We feel that it is the up-and-coming area."

LIST has purchased four lots - 306, 401, 403 and 407 N. Howard Ave. - which the company is developing, has sold or plans to develop.

Howard has high visibility, constant traffic and a central location near downtown, South Tampa and Tampa International Airport, Lum said. He predicts some of the remaining property along the stretch, which includes houses and vacant lots, will probably be converted to office buildings.

"That is the highest and best use," he said.

Gary Cohen, president of ABC Capital Corp. in Tampa, echoes Lum's view.

ABC Capital created the City Central development by rehabilitating the former American Red Cross site and building a similar structure next to it.

One of the buildings, 217 N. Howard Ave., has been purchased by three law firms and a commercial-building project consultant. The other, at 215 N. Howard Ave., is for sale.

Cohen said the corridor, with its visibility and accessibility, may become a hot spot for stores and offices.

Plans to redevelop the Fort Homer Hesterly Armory property, 522 N. Howard Ave., could bring more businesses.

Three groups are vying to transform the 1941 armory building, with proposals ranging from a video, film and sound studio with creative arts businesses, to an ice rink with stores, restaurants and condominiums, and a hotel with cafes, restaurants and a cultural center.

Keith Koehler of Koehler & Co. CPA said the changes along Howard will affect the neighborhoods, potentially drawing new residents.

Koehler paid LIST $225,000 for property at 401 N. Howard Ave., where he plans to move his accounting office in two months. He said the 2,400-square-foot office will cost $350,000 to build.

Koehler, 40, isn't new to the area. In 2004, he built a 2,700-square-foot office at 502 N. Armenia Ave. and relocated his business there from South Tampa. He's selling the two-story Armenia building for $750,000.

Neighbors say they are pleased with the development along Howard.

Eight years ago, Jose and Aurora Llorente moved to a modest rental home at 308 N. Howard Ave. It was a tough neighborhood with drug dealers, said Jose Llorente, 65, a retired truck driver, but the new office buildings have helped clear out the bad element.

"This is the most beautiful thing that could have happened in this zone," said Llorente, a native of Cuba.

But he worries his landlord may sell the property.

"I wouldn't like it if it happened," Llorente said.

Reporter Jose Patino Girona can be reached at 98130 835-2110 or jpatino@tampatrib.com.

http://southtampa.tbo.com/southtampa/MGBTBXXZEXE.html
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 30th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #2
AKBTampa

Likes (Received): 4

Actually, this is more like NOHO! Thanks for posting the article.
AKBTampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #3
smiley

Likes (Received): 81

IT is South Howard, not soho - that name was invented by a bunch of assine transplants that were trying to make themselves feel important.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #4
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 471

^lol... he is right folks...
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #5
smiley

And for the old Tampa folks, you all know that NoHo is certainly not an accurate name. . .
I contain multitudes.

Old January 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #6
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 2

Doesn't it say "SoHo District" on the Tampa neighborhood signs in the area now? I swear I have seen them.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #7
moxwax

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat212 View Post
Doesn't it say "SoHo District" on the Tampa neighborhood signs in the area now? I swear I have seen them.
I live right around that area, and I've seen them around. There's also a small shopping center called "SoHo" near the intersection with bayshore. It's the one with Bella's Italian restaurant in it.
moxwax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #8
AKBTampa

There is also a condo/apt building called SOHO. I agree the whole SOHO thing is stupid as well. I know very few people who actually call the area that. I hear them use either S. Tampa or Hyde Park.
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #9
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post
And for the old Tampa folks, you all know that NoHo is certainly not an accurate name. . .
When I think of NoHo, I instantly laugh at the name and then I remember it should be referring to West Tampa.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:23 AM   #10
Hannibal

Likes (Received): 0

I didn't know what it meant until now nor have I ever heard it used except here but, I thought it was kinda cool. I'm about as trendy as overalls and usually also think of this type of thing as stupid but it seems all larger cities have areas with little names like this. I thought it was a sign of "growing up" in a city way but I guess not eh? I'll go crawl back under my rock...
Hannibal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:26 AM   #11
smiley

My objection is to using a worn out name to try to emulate some other city - like London or NYC. At least Hyde Park is an old Tampa name - a copy, but at least it was original - why can't you just make your own neighborhood cool so people learn about it. . . why do you need to copy other people all the time. . .
I contain multitudes.

Old January 31st, 2007, 06:19 AM   #12
AKBTampa

Hannibal
"Trendy as overalls" is my new catchphrase, it rocks!!!
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:34 PM   #13
randommichael

Likes (Received): 5

I think its a great name. Why not use it?
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:24 PM   #14
TampaIAm

Since South Tampa has many smaller neighborhood type communities with their own retail, restaurants, how about this list for names:
SoWe District - the area on South Westshore Blvd around El Prado and Euclid Aves.
SoMac District - the area on South MacDill Ave from around Bay to Bay to Fair Oaks Ave.
Bay to Bay District - the area around, well you know, Bay to Bay Blvd from Himes to MacDill Ave.
and so on....
TampaIAm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:27 PM   #15
TampaIAm

SoHo land inquiry...

Does anyone know about the old fenced in white gas station next to MacDintons, and across from Dubliner/Sangria's on Howard Ave. I see it used for parking, but I would like to purchase the building, and open a cafe/bar called"The Filling Station". Keep the garage doors and open them during good weather, have my wait and bar staff dressed in old gas attendant uniforms, keep the counter area as the bar. Please let me know who owns that piece of property, and what is the dealio....THANKS!
TampaIAm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:53 PM   #16
randommichael

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaIAm View Post
Does anyone know about the old fenced in white gas station next to MacDintons, and across from Dubliner/Sangria's on Howard Ave. I see it used for parking, but I would like to purchase the building, and open a cafe/bar called"The Filling Station". Keep the garage doors and open them during good weather, have my wait and bar staff dressed in old gas attendant uniforms, keep the counter area as the bar. Please let me know who owns that piece of property, and what is the dealio....THANKS!
You should be able to enter the address in on the Hillsborough County Property Appraisers website and get ownership information.
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:54 PM   #17
AKBTampa

TampaIam,
I'm not sure about the property on Howard, but there is a similar, bigger building on Platt, near Hyde Park Cafe that is up for lease.
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:37 AM   #18
smiley

Maybe I'm old fashioned but
I contain multitudes.

Old February 1st, 2007, 05:38 AM   #19
smiley

Quote:
Since South Tampa has many smaller neighborhood type communities with their own retail, restaurants, how about this list for names:
SoWe District - the area on South Westshore Blvd around El Prado and Euclid Aves.
SoMac District - the area on South MacDill Ave from around Bay to Bay to Fair Oaks Ave.
Bay to Bay District - the area around, well you know, Bay to Bay Blvd from Himes to MacDill Ave.
and so on....
Ok, I admit it. I am old fashioned. For decades that area was called . . .drum roll . . . Palma Ceia . . . There was Hyde Park and there was Palma Ceia and there was Beach Park . . .

Then someone discovered the plat maps and put up those "neighborhood" signs to confuse the matter. . .

I prefer to call it Palma Ceia - that is a unique and accurate name
I contain multitudes.

Old February 1st, 2007, 05:44 AM   #20
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 471

^I agree about the plat maps...

Funny how we don't hear anyone clamoring for the Swastika neighborhood's name to be posted about.