daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > The Bothy

The Bothy Scottish Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM   #8701
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Likes (Received): 337

Nice of Labour to finally catch up, if only a little.

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #8702
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 6222

So it looks like income tax and corporation tax will be devolved to add to SDLT and landfill tax.

Of the big taxes that leaves VAT and National Insurance, any news on those?

Among the more minor taxes how about fuel duty? Some Scots already get a discount don't they if they live on the islands?

Air passenger duty?
Capital Gains Tax?
Inheritance Tax?

And of course Petroleum Revenue Tax..

Last edited by Jonesy55; Yesterday at 12:37 PM.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #8703
mexico86
외국인

Likes (Received): 741

It's good to see there is now a hard line nationalist newspaper available in Scotland (I genuinely mean it). Based on what we've seen on here and elsewhere, the nationalist minority have long been crying out for such a newspaper, and it's only right that the public get the news and the editorial slant that they want. Hopefully the emergence of this new paper will calm claims of media bias, and will remove one of the central tenets of the 'truther' faction of the nationalists that bias in the media is what killed their independence dream, rather than that it was the complete lack of a rational, costed, convincing case for independence that did it.

I also congratulate the publishers of this new paper for being the first to create a newspaper 100 % composed of lies.

Charlie Brooker.

- Nowhere in the bible does it state Jesus was not a cat.
mexico86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #8704
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico86 View Post
It's good to see there is now a hard line nationalist newspaper available in Scotland (I genuinely mean it). Based on what we've seen on here and elsewhere, the nationalist minority have long been crying out for such a newspaper, and it's only right that the public get the news and the editorial slant that they want. Hopefully the emergence of this new paper will calm claims of media bias, and will remove one of the central tenets of the 'truther' faction of the nationalists that bias in the media is what killed their independence dream, rather than that it was the complete lack of a rational, costed, convincing case for independence that did it.

I also congratulate the publishers of this new paper for being the first to create a newspaper 100 % composed of lies.
Nearly, so very nearly. Good effort all the same.

Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #8705
Ahhhh
Relaxed

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
So it looks like income tax and corporation tax will be devolved to add to SDLT and landfill tax.

Among the more minor taxes how about fuel duty? Some Scots already get a discount don't they if they live on the islands?

Air passenger duty?
Capital Gains Tax?
Inheritance Tax?

And of course Petroleum Revenue Tax..
Where are you hearing about corporation tax being devolved? Just curious as to your source as I've not heard a peep about it from anywhere?

(One has to be so careful here - genuine question, not making a point!)
Ahhhh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #8706
Ahhhh
Relaxed

Likes (Received): 38

Alcohol duty would be of particular interest to SG I would imagine; being that it would allow them to reap the benefit from minimum unit pricing rather that the retailer.
Ahhhh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM   #8707
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahhhh View Post
Where are you hearing about corporation tax being devolved? Just curious as to your source as I've not heard a peep about it from anywhere?

(One has to be so careful here - genuine question, not making a point!)
I haven't actually, I'm just assuming that there will be something on it even if it isn't full devolution of powers.
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #8708
sds

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
From reading the original Smith commission proposals from labour, tories, and the lib dems, there's no appetite to devolve these. At least, all agree NI should remain a UK tax, and though opinions differ on vat it seems we can't devolve it (EU requirement of some flavour).

Personally: if there is to be a federal structure, then some income tax ought to go to Scotland, and some ought to go to the UK. A future where Ni is repurposed as "UK income tax" explicitly covering a handful of items at the UK level isn't unpalatable to me.
sds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #8709
mexico86
외국인

Likes (Received): 741

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post

Nearly, so very nearly. Good effort all the same.
Joking aside, I do genuinely feel it is positive that a particular vocal demographic now feels it has its own newspaper, which makes a lot of sense given they comprise something like 30% of the population of Scotland.

Charlie Brooker.

- Nowhere in the bible does it state Jesus was not a cat.
mexico86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #8710
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico86 View Post
Joking aside, I do genuinely feel it is positive that a particular vocal demographic now feels it has its own newspaper, which makes a lot of sense given they comprise something like 30% of the population of Scotland.
That's true, the unionists do need a strong new voice

mexico86 liked this post

Last edited by NorthLimitation; Yesterday at 08:17 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #8711
heresjohnny

Likes (Received): 911

I like that they have dubbed it #McPravda, since that literally translates as the 'McTruth'.

The hashtag was also first used to describe BBC Scotland, self awareness has never been one of the unionists strong points. The Yes campaign having to deal with 35 newspaper biased against it(printing lies and making up 'vows'), was all well above aboard and nothing like Russia though.

"Get back in your box Scotland, we won the referendum. Lie back and take your unionist medicine".
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #8712
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 1338

Quote:

So if income tax is devolved, but national insurance isn't, then it pretty much makes it impossible to merge the two together (as Osborne wanted).

Yet another reason why this has to rank as one of the stupidest idea in the history of Westminster politics.
Nathan Dawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:44 AM   #8713
heresjohnny

Another thing on the McPravda nonsense.

Quote:
THE SCOTSMAN: “Jim Murphy tells Scots Labour to back tax powers”

DAILY RECORD: “Labour leadership frontrunner Jim Murphy set to back full income tax-raising powers for Holyrood”

THE GUARDIAN: “Scotland [is] to be offered total control over income tax after Labour U-turn. Labour’s policy shift will be confirmed on Tuesday by Jim Murphy, the favourite to become the next Scottish Labour leader.”

THE HERALD: “Murphy to support handing full income tax powers to Holyrood”

THE TIMES: “Murphy calls for full income tax devolution”

BBC NEWS: “Scottish Labour leadership candidate Jim Murphy is calling on his party to support the full devolution of income tax to Holyrood.”

STV NEWS: “Labour candidate Murphy calls for ‘full devolution of income tax'”

EVENING TIMES: “Murphy in call for full devolution of income tax”

There’s only one thing conspicuously missing from all of the stories – a quote from Jim Murphy saying he backs the devolution of full income tax powers to Holyrood.

Source: WoS
As i said unionists and self awareness do not go together. The UK already resembles Soviet Union styled media control(always has).
Old Today, 01:22 AM   #8714
Chris99

Likes (Received): 333

Murphy just confirmed on Scotland Tonight that he does back full devolution of income tax, as long as the Barnett formula is retained.
Chris99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:38 AM   #8715
heresjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris99 View Post
Murphy just confirmed on Scotland Tonight that he does back full devolution of income tax, as long as the Barnett formula is retained.
Yeah after his team sent out an identical press release to all the papers.

The papers are giving Jim Murphy's personal view before he even said it at 10:30 on STV tonight. In fact you have to wonder if STV/Labour cobbled the whole thing together for him to appear on Scotland Tonight after WoS(and other Yes blogs), pulled them all up about this earlier today.

That was my point though, we already live under Russian style media control.

On another note about the media, today we also had 'blame the internet day' for terrorists and their attacks. Facebook and Google should be doing the job of the intelligence agencies. The government is not at fault, no siree! Diversion tactics by Westminster, with all the media signed up.

All of that(and what was happening before the referendum) but they are dubbing one independence supporting paper Pravda, in a sea of biased unionist state controlled media.

Nutters.

Xtreminal liked this post

Last edited by heresjohnny; Today at 03:33 AM.
heresjohnny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:23 AM   #8716
Xtreminal
Freethinking Anarchist

Likes (Received): 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris99 View Post
Why do politicians continue to peddle sound bite politics based on dogma rather than facts. All previous indications show that the tax take increases when the tax rate is reduced from these exorbitant rates because tax payers are less likely to use avoidance schemes.
Old Today, 02:48 AM   #8717
Jonesy55
Mooderator

So the tax take would be maximised at 0%?
Old Today, 10:41 AM   #8718
DaeguDuke

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
So the tax take would be maximised at 0%?
Don't be silly. Tax just always needs to be reduced by a percentage or two from the extortionate amount it is now. Until it reaches 0.1%, obviously.

Seriously though, "people avoid tax" is not a reason to drop the rate - it's a reason to make tax avoidance loopholes illegal.

"People molest children"
"Let's drop the age of consent!"
DaeguDuke está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
obsessednationalists

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: