SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Urban Planning Ideas & Discussions

24K views 67 replies 20 participants last post by  vidya31 
#1 · (Edited)
Bring out the best!

Is there any unique aspect of your city that you are proud of? Is there anything that you want to change in your city? Have you seen any interesting aspect of a city that you have visited or that you have seen on the internet? Or if you are seeking other members' ideas into solving an urban issue?

Here's the thread to do just all that.

#60 ·
I don't buy this concept for a second. Heavy traffic below the vehicle in close proxmity to its base seems like an incredible risk, even with spacer and barriers. Incidents would not even have to envolve damage but it would be already enough if there were frequent service delays and disturbances.

How would the tires or axles look like btw? I can't quite imagine that.

#62 ·
The concept won't work in developing countries since most of the roads, even those with heavy traffic, are narrow. There are few expressway where the straddling bus can go through but it has to be significantly taller to allow tall vehicles passing below. Possibly it is good for Chinese or authoritarian countries' cities but definitely not for everyone else.

#65 ·
I find with point #1 that I dislike the standard rooflines in European cities compared to other cities, but this is a very subjective point and the only one I really found weird. I do agree with #2 and #3 as dense and alive cities are far more interesting. The 4th point I quite like as well - Tokyo and Japanese cities are good at this in particular. The nonsense about "I hate skyscrapers" is ridiculous. Towers are amazing at times - take a look at Aussie cities and tell me the city centre doesn't look good despite the skyscrapers. You can have street engagement, and life with skyscrapers. Skyscrapers when done properly can house a lot of businesses and people (mixed use skyscrapers) whilst also allowing a lot of public space to compensate for the density. Funny they listed Sydney as beautiful but it doesn't actually embody many of the points they talked about.

Sometimes this video comes across a bit as "European cities get things right the rest don't".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.