SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Suburb vs. core city criteria

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  poshbakerloo 
#1 ·
I was wondering, which do you consider more important in the definition of a suburb: integration with the core city (such as economic and political ties), or lack of a downtown skyline? I think this is worthy of discussion due to past debates on whether Long Beach, California is really a suburb of Los Angeles.

For me, integration with the core city is more important in the definition of a suburb than a lack of a downtown skyline, since it truly represents the economic and political ties to a core city.

While the skyline of Long Beach is larger than Mesa, Arizona, Long Beach IMO is more integrated politically and economically with Los Angeles than Mesa is with Phoenix. Mesa at times has tried to secede from Maricopa County along with the cities of Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek, and sometimes including Tempe. There has never been any movement for Long Beach to secede from Los Angeles County as far as I know, thus it appears that Long Beach has stronger ties to Los Angeles than Mesa does with Phoenix, therefore Long Beach is in fact more of a suburb of Los Angeles than Mesa is of Phoenix, even though Long Beach has more of a downtown skyline.

What does anyone here think?

#3 ·
^ distinct yes, detached no. I've even seen the term "exurbs" used to highlight the difference between localities that are part of a *metro* area but distinct from the core *urban* area.

I suppose that a suburb is where the people who gravitate in one way or another around a certain city enjoy a suburban way of life. That said a lot of suburbs that initially started as such later got very urban, in all sense (urban tissue and planning, street life, retail etc.).

#4 ·
Downtown skyline seems to be a very US centric aspect. In my opinion, the number of highrises does not matter at all regarding the question at hand. It is not about them but how the place functions and where and how people, live, work and shop. Two questions are essential, does the urban core work as such and do people in the vicinity commute towards it or towards another target.

#6 ·
A perfect example would be The San Francisco Bay Area.

San Francisco acts as the central core of this metropolitan area even if San Jose is larger city and a strong economy.

But when it comes to urban integration, San Jose acts as a suburb of San Francisco.

#7 ·
Another example would be here in Metro Manila.

The City of Manila is The Capital of The Philippines but much of political, cultural and economic activities happens outside the Manila city proper.

The main CBD for Metro Manila is in Makati and is the showcase skyline. Quezon City is the main entertainment hub as well as many government offices are located here so is The House of Representatives.

The Senate is located in Pasay City just south of Manila.

In fact, the cities surrounding Manila have become urban cores themselves while cities at the edge of Metro Manila have a suburban feel say Muntinlupa, Parañaque or Valenzuela.

#8 ·
Every city around LA area is suburb of Los Angeles in one way or the other. People who don't agree generally are the ones who live on this metro cities or are very familiar with the LA area. It's just a local perception to be detached to the City core and to be a very independent town,that happens everywhere..and it's the case for some cities that are part of the the largest metro areas. It's actually funny every time I hear someone from the suburbs when they are in another state and asked where they are from? and proudly say the name of their suburb city but then the other have no clue where that is..forcing to say 'Oh it is close to (insert the City name)" :nuts:

Ask an outsider or visitor where he/she went for vacation..Long Beach or LA? Anaheim (Disney lol) or LA? San Jose or SF? New Jersey or NYC? I know it's only for reference point but the truth is, there are very few suburb cities that had become totally independent economically, politically and most important culturally detached form the main City that made fed them first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.