SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Scenic Cities

138K views 348 replies 116 participants last post by  Jaehaerys 
#1 ·
It's amazing how much scenery can make or break a city. Rio de Janeiro without it's epic mountains would be just another dull developing world skyline, albeit probably still with excellent culture. Then again, Paris has one of the most boring settings imaginable, save for Montmartre, yet is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

What are your favourite natural settings for cities, and what do you think the scenery adds or takes away? Here are my best urban landscapes, in ascending order.

1. Lisbon: amazing scenery, with the sparkling bay and the castle hill. I think the situation is what makes Lisbon such an awesome city, since tbh its architecture, though aesthetically pleasing, is no different from most of the rest of the mediterrean.

2. San Fransisco: similar to Lisbon in many ways, though the architecture compliments the landscape better what with the skyscrapers and the bridge.

3. Rio: in some ways the grey block shaped buildings help with the city's exotic image, since it can't be confused with an American or European city, but I feel the landscape rather dwarfs teh city itself, apart from the majestic statue of Christ the Redeemer.

4. Hong Kong: couldn't be better, huge skyscrapers complementing the hills perfectly, in a city that might otherwise have been something of a Dubai.

5. Edinburgh: again, architecture matches the setting: the castle makes a fine centrepoint with the Royal Mile running down the spine of the crag, and arthur's seat makes Edinburgh truly unique. It's not my favourite architecture style but it's still beautiful.

6. Venice: my favourite scenic city, for obvious reasons: complements it perfectly.

Honourable mention to magnificent mountain cities, such as Munich, Vancouver, Innsbruck, Grenoble, and Darjeeling. I feel all should be better renowned for their beauty than they are.

See less See more
#95 ·
PUEBLA MEXICO AND VOLCANOES MALINCHE, PICO DE ORIZABA, POPO E IZTA 4 VOLCANOES.

Otra ciudad Urbe-Montaña mexicana es Puebla, pero en realidad se trata de volcanes, la que la hace única. Población: 2.786.049 Hab.

Amanecer En Puebla por LANCER., en Flickr

Edificios Al Aterdecer por LANCER., en Flickr

Volcan Popocatépetl, Torre Adamant Y Torres JV, Puebla por LANCER., en Flickr
son 4 diferentes[/SIZE]:)

La Malinche, Puebla por LANCER., en Flickr

Los Volcanes por JoseR RP, en Flickr

El Pico de Orizaba desde Puebla por Gervaxio, en Flickr

#98 ·

The archipelago of Madeira is located 520 km (323.11 mi) from the African coast and 1,000 km (621.37 mi) from the European continent. Area - 801 km 2 (309 sq mi). Madeira's capital Funchal is only big city. Of the 267,000 people living on the island, 115,000 can be found here.

The archipelago is considered to be the first territorial discovery of the exploratory period of the Portuguese Age of Discovery. The first settlers began colonizing the islands around 1420 or 1425; the three Captains-major had led the first settlement, along with their respective families, a small group of minor nobility , people of modest conditions and some prisoners, who could be trusted to work the lands.
On 1 July 1976 Portugal granted political autonomy to Madeira. The region now has its own government and legislative assembly.

The island was settled by Portuguese people, especially farmers from the Minho region, meaning that Madeirans are ethnic Portuguese, though they have developed their own distinct regional identity and cultural traits.
There were in 2009, 7,105 legal immigrants living in Madeira Islands. They come mostly from Brazil (1,300), the UK (912), Venezuela (732) and Ukraine (682).

The setting-up of the Free trade zone has led to the installation, under more favourable conditions, of infrastructure, production shops and essential services for small and medium-sized industrial enterprises.

The islands are strongly influenced by the Gulf Stream and Canary Current , giving mild year-round temperatures; according to IM the average annual temperature at Funchal weather station is 19.6 °C (67.3 °F)

Madeira Island is known as the Pearl of the Atlantic, the floating Garden.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zyberchema

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52517779@N06

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mezzzanine

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mariobaessler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zinnie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gilsantos

#99 ·
This thread is ideal to show some pictures of the Belgian city of Liege. This mediumsized city (260k, metro 600k) is beautifully set in the valley of the river Meuse. Unfortunately they managed to built an in places very ugly industrial town, but the setting is beautifull nontheless...

The 'Montagne de Bueren', a city street that is a 360-steps stair.

'Place Sain Lambert', the main city square

The Meuse River

Bonus: the 'Liege Guillemin' trainstation, designed by Calatrava. It is the most stunning trainstation I've ever been.

#102 ·
There's a little too many people putting up pictures of their home city/country without that city being noteable for the purpose of this thread. Maybe people shouldn't nominate cities from their home country at all. Chances are that if a city will only be mentioned if someone from that country mentions it then... It's probably not worth mentioning.

Just a thought after reading through this whole thread with beautiful cities.
It's also funny how almost everyone mentions Rio de Janeiro and yet not a single picture of that city has been posted here. ;)

Of what's been mentioned and posted pictures of in this thread, my favourites are (without any order):

San Francisco is one of my favourites cities in general. A really great city, both on pictures and in reality. Los Angeles aren't really scenic but there's still something about that city. The hills and Urban sprawl as long as you can see in all directions...

Cape Town has a great natural setting but the skyline could be a little dull. Sydney has both a great natural setting and a good skylines.

Ålesund, Vancouver & Busan was really beautiful too. Especially Busan, first time I saw pictures from that city I think. Korean cities in general are rather unknown compared to their size and development.

Cancun has potential but aren't there yet. The picture from Trittenheim was beautiful too. But it's not really a city, I think it's possible to find similar views in most parts of the world.

And at last: I've never understood what's beautiful or interesting about Hong Kong. It's too dense without any real landmarks or character.

#121 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.