search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Galleries and Creative Corner > Indian Cityscapes & Townscapes

Indian Cityscapes & Townscapes For images of Indian cities and towns

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #1
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 13913

Delhi cityscapes

Last edited by Suncity; August 12th, 2007 at 05:59 PM.
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #2
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 28

i must have underexpected New Delhi. looks similar to some south american cities, IMO

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:40 PM   #3
pakboy
London is London

Likes (Received): 2030

was new delhi a new city made after inderpendance like islamabad was in pakistan.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:44 PM   #4
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakboy
was new delhi a new city made after inderpendance like islamabad was in pakistan.
They started building it in 1911. Completed some of the main government buildings by 1939.

New Delhi Municipal Committee, Delhi Municipal Corporation and Delhi Cantonment board are the local bodies which look after different areas of Delhi. Post independence many new areas have been built. Some like Janakpuri, Rohini, Dwaraka are pretty big and can be called big sized townships themselves.

Beyond Delhi a series of new cities and towns have been built like Gurgaon, Ghaziabad, Faridabad, Noida and now Greater Noida. More and more places are being taken over by the building brigade.

Here's a map of New Delhi

The Ring Railway at the centre of the map more or less marks the core New Delhi (Connaught Place, India Gate and later extension of Chanakyapuri).

The area around red Fort is Old Delhi. It is small, heavily populated and very congested.

To the east - across river Yamuna and in Uttar Pradesh state you can see Noida, Ghaziabad. Greater Noida (not seen in map) is beyond Noida and a huge new city.

To the south in Haryana you have Gurgaon and Faridabad (neither seen in map).

Here's a map of Gurgaon (just south of Delhi). Gurgaon is seeing the rise of many new towers.

affdec liked this post

Last edited by Suncity; August 12th, 2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:47 PM   #5
pakboy
London is London

Likes (Received): 2030

is delhi and new delhi the same thing.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:19 PM   #6
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakboy
is delhi and new delhi the same thing.
Delhi is the National Capital Territory (NCT). Delhi has its own state government.

New Delhi is the capital of India and it is within Delhi NCT.

There are three municipal bodies in NCT - New Delhi Municipal Committee (NDMC), Municipal Corporation of Delhi(MCD) and Delhi Cantonment Board (DCB).

NDMC's area includes the seat of Central Government, Rashtrapati Bhawan (Presidential Palace), the Prime Minister's office and residence, Central Government offices, Foreign Missions, residences of Ministers, Members of Parliament, Diplomats and Central Government employees. It also includes Connaught Place and surroundings. There are plenty of office towers and hotels in the NDMC area.

Map of NDMC:

MCD on the other hand controls most of remaining area of Delhi NCT. Most of it is residentail but there are also some large commercial / office zones like Nehru Place, Cama Place, Rajendra Place, Janakpuri District Centre etc. MCD also covers Old Delhi.

DCB looks after a small cantonment area near the international airport.

The Delhi Devlopment Authority looks afer the planning and development of Delhi in coordination with the NCT government, central government and the three municipal governments/bodies.

affdec liked this post
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:15 AM   #7
Marco Bruno
Les cites obscures

Likes (Received): 2893

I like those concrete buildings!
Old July 7th, 2004, 04:08 PM   #8
amras
Batang Munti

Likes (Received): 8

i like the second and third pictures! it is so green!
amras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #9
Fusionist
unBANNED

Likes (Received): 15

New Delhi is indeed very impressive because of the maidans and mughal ?architecture. What surprises me is some of the other creative relatively newer additions..

This park looks very abstract and I love it.. hopefully they would maintain it better

[/QUOTE]

Any more info on this Suncity ? Why don't they publicise this faith house more ? It reminds me of that building in Sydney which everyone knows.. while this building is rarely in the media
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:28 PM   #10
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionist
New Delhi is indeed very impressive because of the maidans and mughal ?architecture. What surprises me is some of the other creative relatively newer additions..

Any more info on this Suncity ? Why don't they publicise this faith house more ? It reminds me of that building in Sydney which everyone knows.. while this building is rarely in the media
Nice things about India don't sell. Who wants to see a nice new building in India? There's plenty of them in every country.

Our brand image lies in cows, rickshaws, dirty lanes and poverty. That's what we exploit and sell as exotic.

Just joking.

:-)

There are some excellent photos of the Bahai temple on the net.
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:42 PM   #11
Fusionist
unBANNED

Likes (Received): 15

lol I know there are pics of it in the net. The problem is it is seldom spoken about even in India. I have lived in Chennai for 15 years and imagine I am not even sure where the temple is and what it is all about !

Hopefully information travels a lot faster nowadays in Inda thanks to the internet !
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #12
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

That looks good but not great. Lacks creativity
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #13
ViMo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani
That looks good but not great. Lacks creativity
This tower is a stone's throwaway from my home in Pitampura. Looks pretty decent from the balcony on a shiny day, but unfortunately it's restaurant/convention area is not used. Infact it never got going, and today only FM antennas adorn this building. It's a pity, this building came into existence at the height of terrorism days in Delhi in 1980's. Since then, even the airports don't allow visitors into their complexes . When will the fear factor go away?
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #14
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViMo
This tower is a stone's throwaway from my home in Pitampura. Looks pretty decent from the balcony on a shiny day, but unfortunately it's restaurant/convention area is not used. Infact it never got going, and today only FM antennas adorn this building. It's a pity, this building came into existence at the height of terrorism days in Delhi in 1980's. Since then, even the airports don't allow visitors into their complexes . When will the fear factor go away?
So you are from Delhi. Good. I have several questions for you if you don't mind answering them. Let me know if you would volunteer.
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #15
ViMo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity
So you are from Delhi. Good. I have several questions for you if you don't mind answering them. Let me know if you would volunteer.
Yes, I am from Delhi, but currently based in Stockholm, Sweden. Will gladly answer your questions
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #16
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViMo
Yes, I am from Delhi, but currently based in Stockholm, Sweden. Will gladly answer your questions
Thanks Vimo for saying yes.

I want to make a list of highrise buildings in Delhi. How familiar are you with highrise buildings in Delhi? I know it is a difficult proposition to remember such things once you are out of a city.

For example what are these buildings...

I know the Hindustan Times (on the right) and the Naurang Bhavan (Red/Black)

The three buildings next to Gopal Bhavan

And what about Nehru Place? How many of the buildings in Nehru Place are 12 storey and higher. Same question for Janakpuri District Centre, Cama Place, Rajendra Place..

Any ideas?
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #17
Taipei101
In The ****

The TV tower looks too plain.
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #18
Taipei101
In The ****

And boring because of the concrete (exposed to high temperatures) made it go into a yellow colour.
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #19
THT-United
MILLENNIUM FALCON

Likes (Received): 623

The towers look alright, but the design is rather plain... Something like a simple version of KL Tower...
THT-United no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:57 AM   #20
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLié-SJ33
The towers look alright, but the design is rather plain... Something like a simple version of KL Tower...
I don't know, but the Delhi TV tower probably predates the KL tower.

Delhi TV tower represents bureacratic India - slow, lazy and half hearted.

KL Tower represents the dynamic leadership of Malaysia.

The two cannot be compared.

I just posted it because it is one of India's tallest structures.

:-)

Tags
delhi, new delhi