SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Great South Photo Thread

303K views 657 replies 95 participants last post by  cityboi 
#1 ·
I live in the midwest and they have a sticky thread of the best photos of those things uniquely "Midwest" in their forum. This is a great thread and really gives you the true flavor of the Great Midwest Cities and sights only found in the Midwest.

The Great Midwestern Photo Thread > http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=522073

Why doesn't the South have a Sticky thread where people can post the best photos that feature the BEST Cities and sites of the South so everyone can get to know the South better? I for one would love to see one.

#9 ·
We need for people though to capture some of the older Southern architecture like in places like Savannah and Jacksonville, and there's lots in New Orleans.

#10 ·
Anyone is free to use my pictures (and I will be posting more...I have tons more pictures to post). Just credit me as the photo taker, I'm too lazy to dig up my photos that I have already posted, but I show a lot of Charlotte and Jax pics, including St. Augustine and old "southern" architecture (actually most of the old architecture in Jacksonville has its roots in northern styles and most houses/old downtown buildings were designed by architects out of the northeast). And actually, Marion Sims Wyeth and Addison Mizner and Arnold Southwell all designed homes/buildings in Jax and Marsh (from Jax) & Saxelbye (from England) was a firm in Jax that also designed lots of spectacular homes in S FL. Out of the 31 great pre-1930 architects in Jacksonville, only about 5 were from Jacksonville and most of the rest were from New York or Pennsylvania.

Atlanta's the same way, where most of the homes pre-1910 actually look like an older inner Detroit or inner upper Midwestern city, and the 1918-1930 homes could fit in just as easily in Darien, CT. I would consider the homes in Springfield (Jax) to be like the homes in Key West: Floridian takes on old front porch homes from the upper midwest (i.e. tin roofs, colonial French/Spanish elements, brighter colors).

Maybe I'm off base by saying this, but while we consider buildings in Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans to be southern, all of the design elements are directly imported from mother England (the mews in Savannah for instance) or from France, or even Spain in Nola's case, and these elements are simply tweaked just a little and/or combined. Sorry I could continue rambling on, I'll just shut up.

I'll just finish by saying that when it comes to buildings' individual styles, there is not a truly "unique" southern vernacular. There are southern elements made popular in the south and Floridian elements (certain rooms and materials more popular in FL), but the only place where design turns completely regional is on a larger scale in city design/planning, and even then there are exceptions and most planning elements are imported from either up north or from abroad. I know I am being completely all over the place...sorry :)

#16 ·
LSyd, how about some more pics of those old houses and others like them. I know you have more like them somewhere because I've seen them. There are other pics that you have of architecture that capture a distinctly southern charm, and the shotgun houses of New Orleans should be on here too. I've seen them on the old Southern City with the Best Density thread. Savannah moss hanging from the trees in front of a mansion - where are the pictures? To me, that says the South more than anything!

#605 · (Edited)
The Pipe Corner of the South; Atlanta, GA Neon Sign

The Pipe Corner of the South in Atlanta at Forsyth and Walton Sts. closed down in the early 1990s. The sign had neon tubes on it that represented smoke rings. If you can, picture it with the rings, it was a striking sign. The B/W photo here shows the rings but from several feet away. Click on the link below to see the older photo I couldn't upload here from the 1950s. :) Lastly, if you look closely, the holes all have the same diameter. Thus, these are not bullet holes. :)

Source: Pinterest and FlickR
Photo Credit: army.arch ; Christine Delea

Sign in the 1950s
https://gr.pinterest.com/pin/119415827596495334/visual-search/?x=15&y=11&w=470&h=344
Sign shown in 2011
https://www.flickr.com/photos/toomuchfire/6751595885/in/photostream

#28 ·
From flickr
Here’s some Colonial and New Republic era Virginia….
Jefferson’s boyhood home (Tuckahoe Plantation)

Berkeley (where Taps was composed and the true first Thanksgiving happened)

Bacons Castle (oldest brick home in America, 16somehting)

W&M

Madison’s home

Jefferson’s home

Washington’s home

Ruins (Roswell Plantation) in Gloucester VA

Carter’s grove Plantation

Lee’s wife’s family home

Lee’s home

Thomas Nelson’s home (Yorktown, has cool cannon ball scars in the brick)

First capital

Governors Mansion (not the real one, the British one)

Guston Hall

Some cool tavern

Some nondescript farm house

I forget the name of this place in Middleburg

Summer home of Governor Barboursville (Jefferson designed it) now part of a vineyard

Poplar Forest (Jefferson’s home away from home)

UVA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.