daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Bangladesh > Heritage, Tourism & Infrastructure

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #41
manbil777

Likes (Received): 57

What really gets my goat is that there is a centralized transport master plan (here) for road utilization by private vehicles, cabs, buses, trucks and auto-rickshaws. This was prepared a long time ago for year-by-year transportation planning. But is this being followed? Or are we just buying a batch of 500 cabs here and a 100 minibuses there. Who takes care of the coordination? Probably BRTA but I could be wrong.

As public entities BRTA should be answerable to the public. Do they have a question-answer period and a formal public enquiry before they take this sort of decision (like allowing licenses for these public vehicles on already crowded roads) or is this 'pays yer bribe and takes yer license' sort of thing? Why aren't the newspapers screaming about BRTA accountability?

Everyone's rooting for cabs but if you had a solid BRT infrastructure then you could replace at least 50~60 cabs on the crowded main roads with one bus. There is no comparison. Now I get that you need arterial transport from the main roads to the arteries - which could be electric rickshaws or auto-rickshaws. This structure needs to be there - meaning rapid main-road transport and slower arterial transports complementing each other. Just pushing cabs into the streets will suffice only for a short time. But it cannot keep up with population growth and will only get worse with time.

jason.kazi liked this post

Last edited by manbil777; March 28th, 2014 at 06:59 AM.
manbil777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 30th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #42
HaqueF
Honesty is best policy

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.kazi View Post
Bus rapid transit: Answer to Dhaka's gridlocks
M. Imtiaz Rahman

THE traffic condition of the capital has worsened over the past few years. Authorities are at their wit's end trying to devise solutions to the problem, while passengers waste useful working hours sitting inside vehicles. As a result, the city incurs huge economic and environmental losses on a daily basis. Further increase of the city's traffic in the near future is an alarming reality, for which no one is yet ready. It has become indispensable to formulate a remedy that can tackle this predicament in the long term.
Among the public transit modes, buses are considered to be highly cost-effective while being the most flexible routewise. A single-decker bus can accommodate equivalent of eight to twelve cars passengers, which not only reduces traffic but also air and sound pollution substantially. But hundreds of buses operate each day in the city, so why doesn't the condition improve? The buses that are functional in the streets of Dhaka suffer from a number of inefficiencies. Even if we disregard the flaws of the bus authorities, many a time buses become part of the already existing jams on the roads.
Imagine a scenario where bus is the only mode of transport travelling in a lane that is dedicated to buses alone. Do you think this can mitigate the detrimental effects of our traffic condition? The term used to describe the above scenario is Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system. This system has been applied throughout many cities of the world and has proved effective in battling difficult transport conditions. The BRT system provides an exclusive right-of-way for buses to ensure that they are not delayed by mixed traffic congestions while offering a safe and comfortable journey.
This system was first operated in Curitiba, Brazil in 1974, and was a great success for the city's transportation network. Since then, many countries around the world have been inspired to adopt this scheme. Several Asian countries such as Malaysia, Thailand, China, Pakistan and India have also incorporated this scheme into their policy. According to a study, bus ridership in Guangzhou, China increased by 18% within one year of the launch of the BRT in 2010. The BRT alone averages 805,000 passengers daily, making it the most used bus corridor in all of Asia.
While there are a lot of successful examples of BRT, it is not without problems. The BRT project of Delhi is admittedly an unsuccessful model. A study conducted by the Central Road Research Institute (CRRI) of India claims that the selection of the BRT corridor was not rational and the system was not well integrated with other transit modes. This resulted in very few passengers boarding and alighting per bus. Their study also shows that road crashes and fatalities have increased since the BRT was installed. To avoid such errors, proper planning is of paramount importance. Planners and engineers must scrutinise every aspect in the design stages before commencement of such an enormous and expensive development.
In the context of Dhaka, a major concern among critics is regarding the unavailability of road space. It is thought to be impractical to furnish separate BRT lanes on the roads of our built-up city. However, the Strategic Transport Plan (STP) for Dhaka proposes to establish three BRT routes along selected corridors in the capital -- BRT Lines 1, 2 and 3. Among them, the feasibility study of BRT Line 3 is currently in progress. The route extends from Airport to Sadarghat via Kuril, Mohakhali, Ramna and Fulbaria. Numerous objections against this project have already been refuted in the study. Dhaka Transport Coordination Authority (DTCA), the agency responsible for implementing the project, is highly optimistic about its outcome.
Dhaka dwellers are generally reluctant to ride on a bus unless it is an absolute necessity. Buses are extremely unreliable to the public because of overcrowding of passengers, unnecessary delays and long waiting times in the stops. The BRT scheme can be an important tool in this regard. It can be a vital incentive for the people to ride on buses more often. When mixed traffic jams are no longer an issue, adequate frequency of buses can cope with routine problems and promote more bus-made journeys.
Our city is in dire need of a breakthrough in the field of transportation planning. The BRT projects, along with supportive government policies, can become the cornerstone of a stable transportation network in Dhaka. Not only does this premise have the potential to break the curse of traffic gridlock, but also to reduce road accidents, strengthen the city's economy, and build towards a sustainable environment.

The writer is an undergraduate student of Urban and Regional Planning, Buet.

It is over ground metros which need to be developed which takes excess vehicles off the roads and transports thousands of people across the city
during rush hours relieving road clogg ups.
HaqueF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #43
dopekhor
bleh!

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaqueF View Post
It is over ground metros which need to be developed which takes excess vehicles off the roads and transports thousands of people across the city
during rush hours relieving road clogg ups.
How are you going to convince people to convert from private vehicles to public transport, I wouldn't let my female family members use public transport and I am sure there are millions others like me who share the same sentiment.
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #44
HaqueF
Honesty is best policy

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
How are you going to convince people to convert from private vehicles to public transport, I wouldn't let my female family members use public transport and I am sure there are millions others like me who share the same sentiment.

Buses are public transport which currently poor females are having to squash in with others. A train hopefully offers more space.
HaqueF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:32 AM   #45
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
People who own their own transport (private cars) are very unlikely to available any public transport in Bangladesh, no matter how decent it may be. It is just the mindset and status consciousness. For the rest however, the only way to make public transports appealing to women and women with children is through imposition of rules that must be adhered to at all times. First and foremost, there can be no overcrowding. Buses can take on only the exact numbers of passengers they are certified for, with reserved seating for women and children in conveniently located section of the bus. Men may use them when their are no ladies however, as soon as one embarks, that designated seat must be vacated. Remote monitoring of the buses need to be performed to assure compliance.

Again, with strict adherence to rules, it can be possible.
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:45 PM   #46
Naz_toronto

Likes (Received): 142

new taxi cabs

but the price for first 2km is much higer than other cities in south asia and also the waiting time cost is much higher !!

mirzazeehan, masum, jahidus2005, Rokto14 liked this post

Last edited by Naz_toronto; April 1st, 2014 at 06:52 PM.
Naz_toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:45 PM   #47
mirzazeehan

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz_toronto View Post
new taxi cabs

but the price for first 2km is much higer than other cities in south asia and also the waiting time cost is much higher !!

The rates shouldnt be compared to India cause the Taxi vehicles there arent Japanese.I am not sure about Pakistan,but i think even their taxis would be locally assembled sukuzis or other vehicles.If quality is good,then I dont see a problem with price.
These days,I can finally go to sleep in peace.....for I know,that even when I am asleep,over 2 million workers are working on 15000 building projects including 750 skyscrapers so that I wake up to a new city every morning: Mirza from the changing city of Dhaka,Bangladesh
mirzazeehan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:35 AM   #48
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirzazeehan View Post
The rates shouldnt be compared to India cause the Taxi vehicles there arent Japanese.I am not sure about Pakistan,but i think even their taxis would be locally assembled sukuzis or other vehicles.If quality is good,then I dont see a problem with price.
Why should I care about what kind of a vehicle is it or where it is manufactured? When I hail a cab here, I don't care whether it is Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Camry, or Prius, or a Minivan. It this the cab company's choice as to what they prefer to use. My only concern is the rate. The fare (rate) doesn't vary based on the make and model of the vehicle they use.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:21 AM   #49
mirzazeehan

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIslam View Post
Why should I care about what kind of a vehicle is it or where it is manufactured? When I hail a cab here, I don't care whether it is Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Camry, or Prius, or a Minivan. It this the cab company's choice as to what they prefer to use. My only concern is the rate. The fare (rate) doesn't vary based on the make and model of the vehicle they use.
You prolly havent used 'taxis' in Dhaka before...then you would know how the ride used to be in those indian 800cc cabs that used to ply the city roads.Nightmare
These days,I can finally go to sleep in peace.....for I know,that even when I am asleep,over 2 million workers are working on 15000 building projects including 750 skyscrapers so that I wake up to a new city every morning: Mirza from the changing city of Dhaka,Bangladesh

jason.kazi liked this post
mirzazeehan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:37 AM   #50
jason.kazi
Supermember

Likes (Received): 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz_toronto View Post
new taxi cabs

Less room for cabs to wait...

Positively Bangladesh Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/positivelybangladesh
jason.kazi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:24 AM   #51
masum

Likes (Received): 116

Costliest in S Asia

Trip starts with Tk 100, waiting charge also high
Staff Correspondent
Costliest in S Asia

The government has fixed new fares for taxi cabs in the capital, which are much higher than those in New Delhi, Bangkok, Dubai, Islamabad, Kuala Lumpur and some other South Asian cities.
An inter-ministerial meeting at the communications ministry on March 23 made the decision upon requests from the cab service operators -- Bangladesh Army Welfare Trust and private firm Toma Paribahan.
State Minister for Jute and Textiles Mirza Azam is one of the owners of Toma Paribahan, sources said.
The meeting fixed Tk 100 for the first two kilometres, Tk 34 for every next kilometre and Tk 8.5 for a minute's wait in the traffic for air conditioned cabs. For non-AC cabs, the rate is Tk 50, Tk 20 and Tk 5 respectively.
This means, if one takes a trip on an AC cab from Dhanmondi-8 to Shahjalal International Airport (16km) and is caught up in the jam for 20 minutes, he will have to cough up Tk 746. It will be Tk 430 in case of a non-AC cab.
In New Delhi, the fare for the first two kilometres is Tk 45 and Tk 19 for every next kilometre and Tk 2.6 for a minute's wait, according to our correspondent there. (See chart for the rates in other cities.)
The communications ministry said the new fare was fixed considering the comfort, security and safety of passengers.
"This is totally absurd," Sumon Islam, a regular commuter, told The Daily Star. He alleged the government was protecting the interests of the operators.
Mozammel Hoque Chowdhury, secretary general of Passengers Welfare Association of Bangladesh, termed the fare "irrational".
"Passengers will not accept it," he said, adding that he had been at the inter-ministerial meeting where he opposed the move, but to no avail.
At the moment, there is no taxi service in Dhaka. A few still ply the road, but they are illegal.
The new cab service will be launched on April 14, the Bangla New Year. Initially, each of the two operators will import 30 Japanese AC cars for the capital.
In July last year, Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) signed an agreement with the army trust and Toma Paribahan. They were supposed to operate 650 cabs in Dhaka and Chittagong in the following four months, but they failed.
BRTA Chairman Nazrul Islam said the fare had been fixed considering the cost of the vehicles, their maintenance, fuel and operation costs.
Rise in fuel prices is another reason for the hike, he added.
Asked about the fares in Dubai, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok, he said, “Their reality and our reality are not the same. We have huge traffic jams. Do they have such jams in Dubai?” the BRTA chairman said.
According to him, people will benefit from the service.
Asked if the government was more keen on serving the interest of the owners, the BRTA chairman said everything was done following due procedures.
On the selection of Toma which is basically a construction firm, he said the firm was awarded the job as it fulfilled all the conditions set by the BRTA in operating taxi cabs.
Asked whether the new taxis would go to people's desired places, he said the operators were bound to do so or they would face legal action.
Communications Minister Obaidul Quader said the army trust and Toma had sought Tk 120 and Tk 130 respectively as the minimum fare.
The fare has been fixed at Tk 100 as the cabs will be of 1,500cc octane-run cars with tracking and monitoring systems and online meters in them, he said.
About the fares in other countries, Obaidul said the situation in India and Nepal did not match with Bangladesh, as Indian cabs (800cc) were cheaper and diesel-run.
He said the government had engaged the army in the venture to maintain transparency and security.
"People will have confidence in the army," said the minister, adding that the army-run cabs would be olive and red.
Asked if people could afford the fare, he said, "If anyone does not like it, he can choose other means of transport."
"Let the cabs start operating first, and then we will see how people take the service. We will look into the matter after evaluating the reality," he said when asked if the authorities would reduce the fare.
On Mirza Azam's involvement in Toma, Quader said, Azam knew nothing about his company being awarded the job.
Asked if he knew the owner of Toma, the communications minister said, "It is important whether the owner accepts my terms and conditions. It does not matter if I know the owner of Toma."
Azam, owning a private company while being a state minister, is a clear violation of the constitution.
“No person appointed to or acting in any office to which this article applies shall hold any office, post or position of profit or emolument or take any part whatsoever in the management or conduct of any company, association or body having profit or gain as its object,” reads Article 147 (3) of the constitution.
CNG FARES TO RISE
The government is also considering hiking fares of CNG-run three wheelers from next month, BRTA sources said.
The fare might be increased by 30 to 60 percent.
The BRTA chairman said a committee had proposed the hike, but the government was yet to decide on it.
He said the CNG owners association had been pressing the BRTA in this regard for long.
http://www.thedailystar.net/costliest-in-s-asia-18008
masum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:32 PM   #52
manbil777

Likes (Received): 57

I believe cab fairs will get revised downwards as more companies join the fray and competition increases. I doubt that two companies can keep an oligopoly (multiple monopoly) going for a long time.

As far as high class people not using public transport - that can't be a show stopper. If 99% of the people (which is what the Bangladesh middle+lower classes comprise) use public transport then you don't have an issue there.

Either Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) or Elevated Metro could easily resolve the current Dhaka gridlock - just like it did in Bangkok a decade ago.

mirzazeehan liked this post
manbil777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #53
Naz_toronto

Likes (Received): 142

‘WiFi bus’ set to ply city streets
Muhammad Zahidul Islam

Communications Minister Obaidul Quader and State Minister for ICT Zunaid Ahmed Palak are expected to inaugurate the service tomorrow at the capital’s Farmgate area

The government is set to introduce special buses equipped with third generation wireless internet connectivity for commuters in the capital.

Under the Access to Information (a2i) program under the Prime Minister’s Office, around 20 buses of the state-owned Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation (BRTC) equipped with the facility will be introduced along the Motijheel-Uttara route.

Commuters with WiFi enabled devices, such as smartphones, laptops or tablet computers, will be able to use the service while travelling on the buses.

Communications Minister Obaidul Quader and State Minister for ICT Zunaid Ahmed Palak are expected to inaugurate the service tomorrow at the capital’s Farmgate area.

Source said, the a2i programme will be providing at least four 3G wireless routers of state-owned mobile phone operator Teletalk in each of the buses, which will enable around 40 passenger to use the service simultaneously.

“Even if the buses travel at 55 to 60 km per hour, there will be no disruption in the service,” Naimuzzaman Mukta, people’s perspective specialist of a2i programme, told the Dhaka Tribune yesterday.

He added that currently at least 10% passengers used smartphones and would be able to use the internet services to spend their time more productively.

jahidus2005 liked this post
Naz_toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:58 AM   #54
nayeem007

Likes (Received): 351

New taxicabs hit Dhaka streets
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2014-04-22 16:23:33.0 BdST Updated: 2014-04-22

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina introduced the cabs of the Trust Transport Services, operating under the Army Welfare Trust, at the Army Golf Club at Kurmitola on Tuesday.

The Trust Transport Services will operate 27 cabs, while 19 others will be run by the Toma Construction and Company Ltd, a private organisation.

Both companies would gradually introduce 600 more cabs in Dhaka and Chittagong.

Hasina suggested the fare for the first two kilometres be fixed at Tk 85, instead of the Tk 100 decided earlier.

“As a lot of questions have been raised over the fixing of the fare, it will be good if it is kept at Tk 85 for the first two kilometres. It can be increased later.”

Beyond the initial slab, the fare for each additional kilometre has been set at Tk 34, and the waiting charge at Tk 8.50 for every two minutes.

Communications Minister Obaidul Quader, who was also present at the ceremony, said the 1500cc Toyota cabs run on high-octane fuel.

The air-conditioned cars will have security tracking, monitoring, and metering systems.

Hasina underscored the importance of taxis in metropolitan life. “We launched taxicab service in 1996 after assuming office. But the service faltered due to various reasons.”

She thanked the communications ministry and the Army Welfare Trust for starting what is being described as a safe taxi service.

The communications minister added that if any passenger left behind his/her mobile phone in the cab, a video system inside the car will keep a record of it.

http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2014/...-dhaka-streets

mirzazeehan, jahidus2005 liked this post
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #55
jason.kazi
Supermember

Toma Group, DBBL team up

Dutch-Bangla Bank Limited (DBBL) will install POS terminals in the Taxi Cab to be launched by Toma Group, says a press release.
As such passengers will be able to pay their taxi fare through DBBL Nexus Debit Card or VISA, MasterCard and UnionPay card (issued by any bank) by using DBBL POS Terminals. Mohd Ataur Rahman Bhuiyan (Manik), managing director of Toma Group, and Md Kamruzzaman, head of Personal Banking Division of DBBL, signed an agreement recently.
Muhammed Abul Hashem, director of Finance of Toma Group, and Brig Gen Mohammad Mustafa Kamal, chief executive officer of Taxi Cab Project of Toma Group, KS Tabrez, managing director of DBBL, Abul Kashem Md Shirin, deputy managing director of DBBL, and other executives from both organizations were also present.

Source: Daily Star

mTDI, jahidus2005 liked this post
Old April 24th, 2014, 03:03 AM   #56
jason.kazi
Supermember

Already lost a hubcap and needs a wash...lol

Old April 24th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #57
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.kazi View Post
Toma Group, DBBL team up

Dutch-Bangla Bank Limited (DBBL) will install POS terminals in the Taxi Cab to be launched by Toma Group, says a press release.
As such passengers will be able to pay their taxi fare through DBBL Nexus Debit Card or VISA, MasterCard and UnionPay card (issued by any bank) by using DBBL POS Terminals. Mohd Ataur Rahman Bhuiyan (Manik), managing director of Toma Group, and Md Kamruzzaman, head of Personal Banking Division of DBBL, signed an agreement recently.
Muhammed Abul Hashem, director of Finance of Toma Group, and Brig Gen Mohammad Mustafa Kamal, chief executive officer of Taxi Cab Project of Toma Group, KS Tabrez, managing director of DBBL, Abul Kashem Md Shirin, deputy managing director of DBBL, and other executives from both organizations were also present.

Source: Daily Star
Good move. While I'm not sure how popular it is going to be among the locals, it'll be very convenient for foreign travelers. I for one, wouldn't have to bother carrying local currency if I choose to use these cabs.
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #58
masum

Likes (Received): 116

রাজধানীতে নামছে বিআরটিসির আরও ৩শ’ বাস
সিনিয়র করেসপন্ডেন্ট
বাংলানিউজটোয়েন্টিফোর.কম
ছবি: বাংলানিউজ ( ফাইল ফটো)
ছবি: বাংলানিউজ ( ফাইল ফটো)
Decrease font Enlarge font

ঢাকা: রাজধানীতে গণপরিবহন সমস্যার সমাধানে বিআরটিসির আরও ৩শ’ বাস নামছে। এর মধ্যে ১শ’টি জোড়া বাস ও ২শ’টি দোতলা বাস রয়েছে।

রোববার রাজধানীর গুলিস্তান মোড়ে বাংলাদেশ রোড ট্রান্সপোর্ট অথরিটি (বিআরটিএ) কর্তৃক পরিচালিত ভ্রাম্যমাণ আদালতের কার্যক্রম এবং যানজট পরিস্থিতি পরিদর্শনে এসে যোগাযোগমন্ত্রী ওবায়দুল কাদের এ কথা বলেন।

মন্ত্রী বলেন, ১০০টি প্রাইভেট এসি বাস নামানোর অনুমোদন আছে। এছাড়া বিআরটিসির ১০০টি জোড়া বাস ও ২০০টি দ্বিতল বাস আনার জন্য পরিকল্পনা কমিশনের অনুমোদন পাওয়া গিয়েছে।

উপস্থিত সাংবাদিকদের মন্ত্রী জানান, আপাতত সড়কগুলোকে অবৈধ দখলমুক্ত করা হবে। পর্যায়ক্রমে ফুটপাতগুলোকে দখলমুক্ত করা হবে।

পরিদর্শনকালে মন্ত্রী ফিটনেসবিহীন ১টি গাড়িকে ডাম্পিংয়ে পাঠানোর জন্য কর্তৃপক্ষকে নির্দেশ দেন। এ সময় ৯টি ব্যাটারিচালিত রিকশা জব্দ করা হয়।

এছাড়া গুলিস্তান মোড়ের কাছে সড়কের উপর রাখা ডাস্টবিন সরিয়ে ফেলার জন্য তিনি সিটি কর্পোরেশন (দক্ষিণ) এর দায়িত্বপ্রাপ্ত কর্মকর্তাকেও নির্দেশ দেন।

বাংলাদেশ সময়: ২১০৪ ঘণ্টা, মে ০৪, ২০১৪
http://www.banglanews24.com/beta/ful...bn/287508.html

jahidus2005, Naz_toronto liked this post
masum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:17 PM   #59
Mxn99

Likes (Received): 792

Bus rapid transit is the easy solution. It is low-cost and requires less infrastructure. I hope Govt. Will build it forst
Mxn99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #60
jason.kazi
Supermember

Significant change in city's strategic transportation plan coming

http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/2014/07/18/45915

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: