daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد

United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد The exciting new world in Dubai , Abu Dhabi and other Emirates

Old December 12th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #1
juiced
go with the flow

Likes (Received): 0

#TOPIC: Treatment of construction workers in the UAE

http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/Nat...ticleID=143296

Another shining example of the state of construction workers

Worker ends life after he was refused Dh50

A worker who had not been paid for five months killed himself because his company would not give him Dh50 to see a doctor, his suicide note said

The 25-year-old Indian man hanged himself on Thursday afternoon, police confirmed. Arumugam Ven-katesan hanged himself from the fan in his room, police sources said. He had been in the UAE for nearly a year.

They told Gulf News they had not been paid for five months. The company, which supplies workers to other companies, hired them out to work as electricians and on construction sites.

We came back around 4.30pm and found him hanging. He did not have money to see a doctor and asked the foreman for Dh50 as a salary advance, which he was refused. Instead, the foreman shouted at him.

Venkatesan was in debt, he had borrowed more than Dh7,500 to pay an agency to come to Dubai to work.

He, like us, was paid intermittently. He has a sister back home who was dependent on him. Venkatesan left a letter in his native Tamil language before committing suicide,” one worker said.

“We want the company to pay Venkatesan’s dues to his sister and repatriate his body,” another worker said.

The workers said they were paid about Dh3.50 an hour and worked 10-hour days. They claimed the company only provided accommodation and housed about 14 workers in one room. They had to pay for their food as well as the water and electricity bills.

Gulf News tried contacting the company but received no response. The workers said they had complained against the company at Bur Dubai police station on November 10. A police source confirmed this.

A compromise was reached at the police station, the workers said. The company would pay them two-months’ worth of salaries on the 25th of each month for five months until it cleared their dues. “After the compromise, we were given a month’s salary on November 11. The company has not yet given us anything else,” a worker said.

Gulf News contacted Yash Sinha, the Indian consul-general, who referred the suicide case to Venu Gopal, a social worker at the consulate. “We can’t help unless the workers approach us. We know nothing about the death of Venkatesan,” Venu Gopal said.
juiced no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 12th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #2
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 4

this is getting out of hand now
someone should tell these bastards what they are doing is discrimination at the hardest!

another sign, but nothing will happen?
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 19

i cant belive that it has not reached civil war level
yet it just shows how desprate these people are
they will put up will all most any thing
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #4
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 19

Workers to be exempt from attestation criteria

By Bassma Al Jandaly, Staff Reporter
Dubai: Unskilled expatriate workers will no longer need secondary school certificates once a new law is enforced by the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.

Sources at the ministry revealed that orders had been given to amend a previous law introduced in 2002 to say that a minimum qualification of secondary school education was required for all foreign workers.

No announcement has yet been made on the decision and sources were unable to say when the ruling would come into effect.

In the past, the ministry ordered that all those working in the service sector required a secondary school certificate attested by various authorities in their home country and the UAE.

The process would start with attestation by the ministries of education and foreign affairs in their home countries as well as the UAE mission.

Approval would then have to be gained from the ministry of foreign affairs in the UAE.

That procedure previously took nearly two months and would cost about $200 (Dh800) for each certificate. The decision had concerned employers, especially those in the contracting and service sectors.

Many people in those industries, and officials at the ministry, said these requirements and the attestation are a waste of time and money.

They were also depriving them of good employees who were unable to afford the attestation or did not have the qualifications.

In a meeting held last week between Dr Ali Bin Abdullah Al Ka'abi, Minister of Labour and Social Affairs, and the head of the departments in the ministry, Dr Al Ka'abi gave instruction that visa applications without secondary school certificates will be accepted. "It has not been announced officially but this will be the situation," an official from the ministry said.

The source said the minister is trying to make it easier for companies to attract skilled workers who do not have school certificate.

"Those who are working in contracting or those who are drivers, tailors, cleaners and other similar jobs will not be asked for the secondary school certificate any more," he said.

Rami from Jordan has been working in Abu Dhabi for more than two years and changed his job recently.

He studied only up to Grade 10, which is the minimum standard required by the UAE's Ministry of Labour.

"When I first came to the UAE, no one asked about my certificate, but now I have found a better job in Ajman. I was told I needed to have my certificate attested by the authorities in my country. This would have been difficult for several reasons," Rami said.

"Last week I applied for a new visa in a labour office in Ajman and they accepted it without an attested secondary school certificate," he said.

http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/Na...ticleID=143288

And this just means more to take their place.
Old December 12th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #5
Taufiq

This is a little upsetting.
Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 451

Yes , its really disgusting how these companies are given the green light to treat those workers like that !! if this guy was muslim , he knows he is going to hell :/ he should not of killled himself , on the other hand , i dont know how the other side live and feel

GoldStone Report.
Dubai_Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:31 PM   #7
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

i just wonder what would happen if these workers took the whole issue to court?
trial rejected or what?
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #8
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 22

Incidents like this gives the world an excuse to point fingers at the Arabs. Having lived in the UAE all my life, I understand the Emaratis and feel they are no more racist than any other race in this world. However, that is not the opinion of the vast majority of people elsewhere. A friend of mine told me that his Dad refused to work in Dubai because he felt that the people from the sub-continent were treated very poorly. There are millions out there who think negatively about the UAE people. Its unfortunate but things must change.

This is just my opinion - someone who grew up in the UAE but now lives outside where I can hear people bitching about the Arab world freely. Its pathetic.
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:52 PM   #9
BulldozerGirl

Likes (Received):

Hehehe.

I got banned from an Islamic forum when I mentioned that Mekkah will build a skyscraper, and tried to defend the Gulf states' use of wealth.

The majority of people, whether Americans, Pakistanis, or Muslims of other nationalities, had a very poor opinion of the Gulf and they cursed the "kufr" and arrogance in the country.

Funny thing is, they didn't know Abu Dhabi was part of the UAE. And when they were shown evidence of charity work done abroad, they said that the Mafia also does charity work and just because someone gambled and won 10 million dollars in Atlantic City and then chose to give 1 million for charity, it doesn't mean he's a saint.
Old December 13th, 2004, 12:05 AM   #10
BulldozerGirl

Likes (Received):

They should stop putting in ceiling fans in apartments. They've been a major source of suicide.
Old December 13th, 2004, 12:11 AM   #11
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

well, there are many other ways to commit suicide
people shouldn't work on laws about air conditions!
they should work on laws of justice!!
Old December 13th, 2004, 01:34 AM   #12
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 4217

Sad incident. Exploitation of man by man is as old as history and happens everywhere. It isn't UAE or Dubai specific.

I cannot say about other countries, but in India, Dubai is generally considered a glamorous place and the place to make lots of money.

It's the lure of getting rich quickly that makes many of the employment agencies trap gullible workers in India.

The professional class is generally less prone to such exploitation. It's the low skill level people who often get a bad deal.

For every tragic story, there are probably a thousand good stories. Several districts in India have seen a lot of wealth flow in because of the job opportunities in UAE.
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 02:35 AM   #13
Taufiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldozerGirl
Hehehe.
The majority of people, whether Americans, Pakistanis, or Muslims of other nationalities, had a very poor opinion of the Gulf and they cursed the "kufr" and arrogance in the country.
I have met so many people like that here in Toronto, eventually I just stopped correcting them.
Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #14
fahed
Mr Anti

Likes (Received): 1

The company is happy to get rid of a worker, and evil continues!!! This problem of these contractors not paying the workers happen here in Abu Dhabi too in numerous ammounts.
fahed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #15
zuhahmed

Likes (Received):

why isn't there a law about not paying the workers there salaries on time?
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #16
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

zuhammed, are you sure such a law doesn't exist?
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #17
zuhahmed

Likes (Received):

it probably exists, but why are so many companies breaking the law, and how come the police is not doing any thing about it, this doesn't make sense to me.
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #18
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

the situation is very difficult to judge as nobody talks about it of course
but you're right, it doesn't make sense at all
otherwise i would find it very strange if there wasn't a law for this

but i'm convinced there is a law, but the companies might be corrupt. means, on paper they pay, but in reality no money will be transferred and they are doing it in a way police and investigators can't prove it
Old December 15th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #19
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy
Incidents like this gives the world an excuse to point fingers at the Arabs. Having lived in the UAE all my life, I understand the Emaratis and feel they are no more racist than any other race in this world. However, that is not the opinion of the vast majority of people elsewhere. A friend of mine told me that his Dad refused to work in Dubai because he felt that the people from the sub-continent were treated very poorly. There are millions out there who think negatively about the UAE people. Its unfortunate but things must change.

This is just my opinion - someone who grew up in the UAE but now lives outside where I can hear people bitching about the Arab world freely. Its pathetic.

I think that treating foreign workers poorly has much more to do with greed than racism. Just because workers come from poor contries doesn't mean that you should treat them like shit, UAE is wealthy enough to give these workers a fair go.
Old December 15th, 2004, 05:32 AM   #20
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhahmed
it probably exists, but why are so many companies breaking the law, and how come the police is not doing any thing about it, this doesn't make sense to me.
They work. Thats why Dubai Police founded a new department called "Workers Rights Department" couple of months ago.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote