...Durban Discussion

Tags
durban
391K views 3K replies 112 participants last post by  011!#1 
#1 · (Edited)
#30 ·
HOWZIT

HOWZIT GUYS...

I'VE visited this site for years and have friends registered here - and have finally decided to become a member...

This is one of my favourite forums - and has tons of interesting and useful information

I'm not going to give too much away - but my forum name and posts will give you some hints... however I have to keep it professional due to the career that I am in...
hi bettyblue (if you're still a member)... :)

#32 ·
HOWZIT GUYS...

I'VE visited this site for years and have friends registered here - and have finally decided to become a member...

This is one of my favourite forums - and has tons of interesting and useful information

I'm not going to give too much away - but my forum name and posts will give you some hints... however I have to keep it professional due to the career that I am in...
Welcome to the boards, Quicksilver! Good to see another Durbanite joining and contributing. Please feel to get involved in the banter. :cheers:

#34 ·
HOWZIT GUYS...

sounds like a Journo......Suren?

:D

Welcome anyway, look forward to your posts :)

#31 ·
Durban ICC wins 19 bids

Insomnia - so here goes...

Durban ICC defies the downturn

Suren Naidoo
16 March 2009

Despite the global economic downturn, the ICC Durban Inkosi Albert Luthuli Complex has won the hosting rights to 19 international congresses and events which are set to bring thousands of business delegates to the city over the next few years.

The latest event to be secured by the complex is the Europe Africa Business Summit in 2010, which is set to coincide with South Africa's hosting of the Fifa World Cup in June next year.

Another significant development is that South Africa has been short-listed along with France and Canada to host the giant 6th World Water Forum (WWF) in Durban in 2012, which could secure up 20 000 delegates.

The WWF 2012 announcement is due to be made at the 5th World Water Forum in Istanbul, Turkey this week. Durban is holding thumbs to secure the hosting of the influential international water meet, which would be one of the biggest conferences ever hosted in South Africa.

"These are very exciting times for the ICC Durban, and we are not going to let ourselves to be bogged down by what's happening internationally as a result of the international financial crisis," Sal Govender, ICC Durban's marketing and sales director, said ahead of the recent Meetings Africa business tourism tradeshow in Johannesburg.

"We are in fact looking at the opportunities out there and want to benefit from some of our competitive advantages, like the rand exchange rate, which makes it more economical to host international conferences and events in South Africa.

"Over the last 18 months we have won some 19 new international bids to host major congresses and events up to 2014," Govender said.

"These include the prestigious International Olympic Committee Session in 2011; the International Union of Architects in 2014; the World Psychotherapy Congress in 2014; the World Federation of the Deaf in 2011; the International Health Tourism Conference in 2010; the World Methodist Council in 2011; the Indaba tourism tradeshow in 2010; as well as the World Travel Awards and the International Dancesport Championships later this year."

According to ICC operations director Troy Reynolds, the ICC has already secured more than 31 international events between 2009 and 2014, with numerous other bids in the pipeline or preliminary stages.

The ICC Durban Inkosi Albert Luthuli Complex is made up of the International Convention Centre (ICC), the ICC Exhibition Centre and the R460-million ICC Arena, which opened in 2007.

According to an ICC annual report, the centre hosted 855 events in 2007/08, of which 71 were international association conferences, attracting more than 282 000 people, including 24 000 international visitors, to Durban. This resulted in estimated economic spin-offs of more than R700-million for the local economy.

Since the opening of the ICC Durban in 1997, it has had an economic impact of more than R6-billion on the local economy.

An ICC conference delegate survey carried out by Tourism KwaZulu-Natal in October 2008 revealed that delegates spend R6 400 on average per conference. At least 47% of those polled said they were "extremely likely" to return to the city on holiday within the next five years.

SOURCE: http://www.southafrica.info/news/conferences/iccdurban-0503009.htm

#33 ·
Insomnia - so here goes...

Durban ICC defies the downturn

Suren Naidoo
16 March 2009

Despite the global economic downturn, the ICC Durban Inkosi Albert Luthuli Complex has won the hosting rights to 19 international congresses and events which are set to bring thousands of business delegates to the city over the next few years.

The latest event to be secured by the complex is the Europe Africa Business Summit in 2010, which is set to coincide with South Africa's hosting of the Fifa World Cup in June next year.

Another significant development is that South Africa has been short-listed along with France and Canada to host the giant 6th World Water Forum (WWF) in Durban in 2012, which could secure up 20 000 delegates.

The WWF 2012 announcement is due to be made at the 5th World Water Forum in Istanbul, Turkey this week. Durban is holding thumbs to secure the hosting of the influential international water meet, which would be one of the biggest conferences ever hosted in South Africa.

"These are very exciting times for the ICC Durban, and we are not going to let ourselves to be bogged down by what's happening internationally as a result of the international financial crisis," Sal Govender, ICC Durban's marketing and sales director, said ahead of the recent Meetings Africa business tourism tradeshow in Johannesburg.

"We are in fact looking at the opportunities out there and want to benefit from some of our competitive advantages, like the rand exchange rate, which makes it more economical to host international conferences and events in South Africa.

"Over the last 18 months we have won some 19 new international bids to host major congresses and events up to 2014," Govender said.

"These include the prestigious International Olympic Committee Session in 2011; the International Union of Architects in 2014; the World Psychotherapy Congress in 2014; the World Federation of the Deaf in 2011; the International Health Tourism Conference in 2010; the World Methodist Council in 2011; the Indaba tourism tradeshow in 2010; as well as the World Travel Awards and the International Dancesport Championships later this year."

According to ICC operations director Troy Reynolds, the ICC has already secured more than 31 international events between 2009 and 2014, with numerous other bids in the pipeline or preliminary stages.

The ICC Durban Inkosi Albert Luthuli Complex is made up of the International Convention Centre (ICC), the ICC Exhibition Centre and the R460-million ICC Arena, which opened in 2007.

According to an ICC annual report, the centre hosted 855 events in 2007/08, of which 71 were international association conferences, attracting more than 282 000 people, including 24 000 international visitors, to Durban. This resulted in estimated economic spin-offs of more than R700-million for the local economy.

Since the opening of the ICC Durban in 1997, it has had an economic impact of more than R6-billion on the local economy.

An ICC conference delegate survey carried out by Tourism KwaZulu-Natal in October 2008 revealed that delegates spend R6 400 on average per conference. At least 47% of those polled said they were "extremely likely" to return to the city on holiday within the next five years.

SOURCE: http://www.southafrica.info/news/conferences/iccdurban-0503009.htm
Good to see the ICC bag so many conferences. Building the ICC was the city's best investment ever.

#38 ·
^^ lol welcome mate! always good to have more hands on deck, we can provide you info and you can dig up things we dont have access to!

Things on my "request list":

1) Info on the hotel going up next to the Liberty life development in Umhlanga, there is no info anywhere! We know its not the HI Express as that is u/c on Ridgeside (find a render of that if you can please :))

2) Info on some of the developments on the ridge. I can get you the contacts on the developments as i have people at Tongaat, but i cant get the designs from the developers!!

3) update on the coastlands hotel next to the ICC. This new hotel is much needed but nothing is happening, why??

4) Renders of the cafes/kids areas/fountains in Peoples park. I have seen them all with Julie may but dont have digital copies...

Oh and have a spare ticket for the launch of the new oyster box for anyone interested

#41 ·
Professional

Will try - but as mentioned - I still need to be as professional as possible
I'm not the cut throat kind in my field

besides, my huge workload means alot of stuff is in the pipeline or put on the list of things to do...

anyway COMMUNICATION is a real problem in DURBAN/KZN
not only from ICC and gov ect - but private co's too!

my job is not easy.

#42 ·
R110m high-rise project to boost Albert Park precinct

>From its thread.

Quicksilver to the rescue

R110m high-rise project to boost Albert Park precinct

IN ONE of the boldest investments yet in the rejuvenation of the Durban CBD, two entrepreneurs are investing R110 million in a landmark new 16-storey block of flats in what is now known as Maude Mfusi Street in the Albert Park area.

The development, aptly dubbed The Renaissance on St George's Street, celebrated its roof-wetting ceremony last week and is the brainchild of thirtysomething business duo Ravi Jhupsee and Gareth Went. Jhupsee, an architect and owner of Architronic, is the co-developer on the project with Went, an emergent property developer and managing director of Imperial Crown Trading.

"We are glad to be spearheading such a significant project, which is a vote of confidence in the future of the city centre and the eThekwini Municipality's broader inner-city rejuvenation efforts. We want to see this act as a catalyst to attract other developers and investments to the CBD - particularly the Albert Park area, which has untapped potential, being located a few streets back from the city's harbour precinct," said Jhupsee.

"That is why we have christened the building The Renaissance on St George's Street, because we see it as an important cog in driving the revival of the area and broader city centre. There are opportunities to be had in the CBD, especially for developers because they can take advantage of the Urban Development Zone tax incentive by national government aimed at bolstering CBD urban regeneration efforts in South Africa's major metros," he added.

Went said: "This is our biggest and most ambitious development to date. Downtown Durban has not seen a project like this for many years due to the massive class shift that has happened in greater Durban northwards over the last decade.

"Every architect has a dream to build something as big as this - a high-rise that contributes to the urban environment and inner-city housing. In South Africa the question of how to solve the housing challenge at an affordable rate is a real social issue. We architects often philosophise on how to deal with housing - particularly inner-city housing - but don't get to put it into action.
"With The Renaissance we are doing something to address the challenge. There were risks involved for this project to go ahead, and as an architect I had to become a co-developer in the project to see this project rising from the ground. Gareth Went and I have a history of working together, but this is our first major project as co-developers and business partners, together with construction firm Stedone Mechanicos Building, led by Elias Mechanicos," said Jhupsee.

Speaking at the roof-wetting ceremony, eThekwini Mayor Obed Mlaba commended the developers for buying into the city's inner-city urban regeneration drive and urged other property developers and investors to follow.

"We really appreciate a project of this nature and we, as a city, are lucky to have developers like you, together with the major banks that have taken the lead in investing in new buildings and upgrades in the CBD," Mlaba told the gathering.

"The Renaissance project in particular, is very significant for the rejuvenation of the Albert Park precinct, located in a key area near the harbour and part of the broader Warwick Junction Precinct, which itself is in the midst of a major overhaul going into several hundred million rand. This includes the recently announced R350m Warwick Mall development, together with the major new flyover project currently under construction," he said.

Mlaba said the city faced a myriad problems related to absentee landlords and dilapidated buildings in the city centre, and he urged the owners of these buildings to follow the lead of developers and companies that were contributing to the rejuvenation of the city.

Jhupsee said construction on The Renaissance development started in 2007 and was on track to be complete by the end of July.
"We are investing about R110m in the project, which includes 265 quality apartments, four penthouses overlooking the harbour on the top floor, and up to 10 commercial outlets on the ground floor of the building. Local agents Apartmentbox are marketing and handling unit sales in the development, and despite the economic downturn we are very excited that already about 180 units have been sold," said Jhupsee.
Of the units already sold more than half have been sold to investors.

SOURCE: Mercury Network

#47 ·
Cross-post from Durban transport thread...

-----------------

Looks like we may see taxis entirely banned from the CBD, which would be great. The downside is that the buses that replace them may be controlled by the taxi industry and and driven by ex-taxi drivers. Let's hope if this occurs that they function as buses and not glorified mini-bus taxis (loud noise, bad driving, overcrowding etc). City must keep a tight leash on the system.

-----------------------

Taxis to rule KZN transport system?

March 18 2009 at 04:08PM

By Heinz de Boer

Durban's political and administrative leaders have not ruled out any options, including proposals that the local taxi industry take over portions of the city bus contract in an attempt to get commuters moving again.

While both the taxi industry and city continue to play their cards close to their chests, city manager Michael Sutcliffe on Tuesday said the taxi industry was "organising itself to become a (bus) operator".

If ultimately approved and if successful in its tender bids, the taxi industry would likely run the potentially lucrative inner city bus routes that cover nearby residential areas such as the Berea, Ridge and Glenwood.

This would be in line with Durban's vision of "banning taxis" from the busy city centre.

Sutcliffe would however not confirm that the KZN Transport Alliance, which has been in negotiations with the municipality this week, had been formally asked to "take over" the bus contract.

"Informally the taxi industry has indicated for some time that they want to get involved. If you look at the inner city now, there are taxis all over the place and we need a more efficient transport system. This may be the perfect opportunity to get taxis out of the city," Sutcliffe said.

But first Remant Alton, the company that has been placed on notice that it is in breach of its contract, would have to respond to the city's demand that it resume operations or face final termination of its contract.

"We have indicated that they are in breach and we first have to finalise that matter one way or another. Secondly, we have to deal with the immediate emergency, and will over the next week speak to rail, taxi and bus companies to help where they can. I will also be making an appeal to business to help establish lift clubs," Sutcliffe said.

Importantly, the city said it had not excluded the possibility of roping bus drivers into playing a major role in managing the service again.

Asked if drivers would be employed by the municipality, Sutcliffe said such a move may prove to be prohibitively expensive.

Drivers went on strike recently after demands to be re-employed by the council. The city had then said legislation prevented the city from running a bus service.

"Law allows us to outsource (the service) to companies, but if the city runs the service, we will have to pay the full subsidies, because the national government will not pay us the subsidy. Right now we are looking at all options and possible models to run the service."

While plans continue to get the service running again, the city said its focus was now on repairing and renovating the 450 buses, many of which were bought back from Remant Alton late in 2008.

"We are getting all the buses fixed. It is not major stuff, but we hope to boost our number from the about 150 running now, to the 450 that are available and in good condition," Sutcliffe said.

Mayor Obed Mlaba, who was on Monday asked to take responsibility for the bus fiasco or resign, said the provincial and national government may also be roped in to formulate new transport plans.

"This is not a city issue alone, there are other spheres of government that will also be involved," Mlaba said.

heinz.deboer@inl.co.za

This article was originally published on page 2 of Daily News on March 18, 2009

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...5359129C964780

#52 ·
I fully agree with you Luf, it will even make it more easier for Durbs to implement any kind of transport as they will not face any opposition from the taxi industry. I'm in favour of them operating the bus system but they should also abide by strict traffic laws. If need so the City's Transport department should have CCTV cameras or use GPS and monitor their movement.

#51 ·
Durban joins Earth Hour 2009 campaign

Title: Durban joins Earth Hour 2009 campaign--------------------

Durban - Durban's Mayor Obed Mlaba has pledged his support for the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) Earth Hour 2009 campaign, a global initiative to raise awareness around energy and the effects of climate change.

The WWF campaign aims to have more than one billion people in 1000 cities turn off their lights for one hour on 28 March 2009 at 20:30 in a demonstration of support for determined international action on climate change.

The eThekwini Municipality, as well as the Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre (ICC), have now joined the campaign and will switch off their lights for an hour on 28 March.

The municipality is also planning to hold a parade through the city centre on the day to raise awareness around the event and its energy saving campaign.

The likes of Ryk Neethling, Bryan Habana, Marc Lottering, Freshlyground, Jo-Ann Strauss, Soli Philander, Leon Schuster, the Moroka Swallows and the Parlotones are among the local celebrities who have pledged to do the same.

Archbishop Tutu, who is regarded as the patron for the WWF initiative across the world, Cape Town Mayor Helen Zille and E-TV's Head of Weather and Meteorology Derek van Dam, who has become one of South Africa's favourite weathermen, will also participate.

Mr Mlaba said: "The Earth Hour campaign is the ideal initiative to raise awareness on the effect of excessive energy consumption and wastage on the earth. We all need to do our bit to save energy, live responsibly and reduce wastage to ensure a brighter future for the generations to come."

This project fits in with the city's current "Switch Off, Unplug, Save" campaign, which aims to save 10 percent of electricity consumed by all Durban residents.

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the ICC, Miller Matola, said he fully supported the campaign and the drive to make individuals more aware of the need to conserve energy. "We are a significant consumer of power and are committed to playing whatever role we can in saving energy."

Durban's mayor has urged all residents, hotels, businesses and property owners to heed the global call to switch off their lights and appliances for one hour on 28 March.

Launching the campaign in South Africa in February, Chief Executive Officer of the WWF, Dr Morne du Plessis, said Earth Hour 2009 had received much support from a broad range of well known South Africans from mayors, sports stars and media personalities.

He explained that action against climate change must be taken by world leaders when they meet at the Copenhagen Climate Change Conference at the end of the year. The leaders must deliver a definitive plan to put an end to runaway carbon emissions.

The agreement world leaders in Copenhagen will deliberate on is expected to replace the Kyoto Protocol which ends in 2012.

South Africans wishing to sign up to join the initiative may log onto www.earthhour.org. - BuaNews

SOURCE: http://www.buanews.gov.za/news/09/09031713151004

#59 ·
Durban would be perfect to host IPL - Docrat

By Patrick Compton

The chief executive of the KwaZulu-Natal Cricket Union has reacted enthusiastically to the prospect of South Africa hosting the second edition of the Twenty20 Indian Professional League.

"We have already told Cricket South Africa that we will support such a move," said Cassim Docrat on Monday.

"The weather in Durban is perfect for the duration of the six-week tournament (starting on April 10), and of course the Indian community, among others, will strongly support the event."

South Africa and England have been finalised as the possible hosts for the competition after the Board of Control for Cricket in India requested that the tournament be moved abroad as the dates clashed with the Indian general election.

Docrat pointed out that the South African cricket season ended in April, with the last match at Kingsmead - the first ODI between South Africa and Australia - scheduled to take place on Friday, April 3.

"With eight franchises taking part, we would expect to host seven matches (out of a total of 59) at Kingsmead, which we could handle easily," he said. South Africa would host the tournament at a fraction of the cost and with greater administrative ease than in England, and the competition would also benefit from time-zone considerations, with South Africa only three-and-a-half hours behind India.

There are, however, a number of advantages to hosting the tournament in England, including the support of an influential lobby within the BCCI as well as the Indian team management, who feel that it would help teams to prepare for the World Twenty20 championship in June.

According to cricket website Cricinfo, the event will go to England so long as the England and Wales Cricket Board can overcome considerable obstacles related to costs and logistics and the approval of its stakeholders, including the counties, many of whom fear that their fixtures may be disrupted by the event.

#63 ·
I hope SA gets the games. Besides the fanatical Durban crowd support (guaranteed sell out crowds for matches involving SA, India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, and possibly Australia), there will be far less visa hassles for visiting fans. Can you imagine the nightmare of thousands of fans from South Asia, West Indies, and SA having their UK visa application declined? Fans would have far less hassles in this respect for SA. Would also be a good test-run for the 2010 WC re: crowd control etc.

#62 ·
Yes, it would be an amazing coup if SA bags this. Will be yet another hosting feather in our already well-decorated caps. Plus, it will be a fantastic indictment on our ability to host major events, especially at such short notice (remember Durban's first A1? Just a couple of months notice and it raked in the crowds. Plus it was voted A1 grand prix of the year).

#67 ·
yeh for Durbs that not taking into account for the annual events, such as the comrades marathon, Durban July, Mr Price Pro PLUS amongst all this we having our National Elections!

This year looks busier than 2010, but that will be a handfull in its own so its good that we having to deal with this a year before as it will all count as handy experience for next year.

#82 ·
NOT the Mr Price Pro

yeh for Durbs that not taking into account for the annual events, such as the comrades marathon, Durban July, Mr Price Pro PLUS amongst all this we having our National Elections!

This year looks busier than 2010, but that will be a handfull in its own so its good that we having to deal with this a year before as it will all count as handy experience for next year.
NOT the Mr Price Pro! - Durban has lost the event for the next three years. :eek:hno:

And also due to the 2010WC - the Comrades will be taking place in May for the next two years.

#68 ·
Read the papers today and apparently rotating system vs base system has been decided on because all the teams want to be based in Durbs and choosing which team would be chosen would have created a major problem with the others. Shaun Pollock has stated that semi and final should be played in Durbs. Of course, we know final will be in Jhb.

#69 ·
This is where a city that claims to be the "sports capital of Africa", forms a high powered and influential team e.g. "Durban Sport International" or "World Sport Durban" and they lobby organizers of each and every single event to put some weight behind the "sports capital" claim.

and no, Julie May is not enough.

I don't understand why Cape Town is hosting the opening or Joburg the final.
This doesn't make sense.