daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد > Dubai Projects > Jumeirah Lakes Towers

Jumeirah Lakes Towers 79 Towers in a masterplanned community by Nakheel

Old July 7th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #6641
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 540

How about the last extra top of the line speaker left in the van for a cheap price scam, have you guys been approached by those guys yet?
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #6642
True Blue
Born Again

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by String Theory View Post
Beware of JLT, and perhaps other Dubai areas, street/parking Italian accent fashion executives scammers stopping you to ask for directions just to drag you into a "friendly" chat about the fancy 1,200 Euro brand-named Italian suits (counterfeit) they want to give you as gift because they don't fit them.

These con artists can get you at the end to cough up whatever you have in your wallet in exchange of the 21,000 AED three suits you got for free to help them out buy a smartphone for their 16 years old daughter's birthday because they ran out of cash on their way to Abu Dhabi airport

This happened to my neighbor in the parking lot of Cluster-O this last weekend

This "Italian fashion executive" in a 4WD showed my neighbor a genuine Italian passport, a business card, fashion design books and other credentials and was a charming fellow but left with 1,500 AED which was all my neighbor had in his wallet.

My neighbor is pissed off like hell after having googled what happened to him just to find out that he's been conned, but said that the suits really didn't look too bad and he will wear them since they have all the bells and whistles of a real brand-named Italian suits. I guess he's still in denial
JLT is full of these scammers. Even NEXT are at it in the UK. £75 for Italian designer suits in the summer sale, but when you check the label it states, "Made in China".

There are none so blind as those who won't see.
True Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #6643
hemelboorder

Likes (Received): 13

This is how bad the airpollution is in Dubai...

9 June 2014, 8 o'clock in the morning. A thick blanket of brown smog is clearly visible as it drifts slowly land inwards from the Jebel Ali powerplant (and maybe other industries). The view is from Jumeirah Lake Towers towards Discovery Gardens. The industrial area is on the right hand side, outside the frame.

This is an almost daily scene, especially when the winds are low. Underneath is blue sky, indicating that the smog cannot be mistaken for blown-up dust. I estimate its altitude at around 200 to 300 m.

On other days, if the wind direction is towards the residential areas of Dubai Marina and surroundings, residents get the full load. I hear complaints about the foul smell getting into their apartments. Smoke contains substances like sulphur dioxide, soot particles, and nitrogen oxides, all of which are detrimental to people's health.

I think it's time to allocate funds to clean air, instead of building even more empty office towers!

Old July 13th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #6644
GoDubai!
Keep on building!

Likes (Received): 42

I first noticed skies in Dubai like this in 2008 when I used to drive daily from Abu Dhabi to Dubai. Coming across the deserts of Abu Dhabi, when reaching Jebel Ali the sky color was markedly different--brownish. A lot of this pollution may be the result of producing electricity by burning oil. There were plans to start in 2007, I believe, importing huge amounts of gas via (Dolphin Gas) pipeline to Jebel Ali from Qatar. But it seems relations with Qatar are always seesawing, meaning this project never got realized as planned.

The unstable supply of the electric power has been a main concern in the UAE society. There have been several service disruptions in the past decade due to delayed arrival of natural gas shipments from the Dolphin pipeline project, which led to the establishment of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) grid in 2012. The GCC grid links Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE under one regional grid in order to reduce the number of power outages and enable power exchanges across seasons and time zones as necessary.

I think it was in today's Gulf News, an article about future energy production being a mix of coal, other fossil fuels, solar and nuclear power. I don't doubt that this will happen as a lot of progress has already been made on some of these. So, hopefully the air will clean up in time.
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #6645
String Theory

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemelboorder View Post
9 June 2014, 8 o'clock in the morning. A thick blanket of brown smog is clearly visible as it drifts slowly land inwards from the Jebel Ali powerplant (and maybe other industries). The view is from Jumeirah Lake Towers towards Discovery Gardens. The industrial area is on the right hand side, outside the frame.

This is an almost daily scene, especially when the winds are low. Underneath is blue sky, indicating that the smog cannot be mistaken for blown-up dust. I estimate its altitude at around 200 to 300 m.

On other days, if the wind direction is towards the residential areas of Dubai Marina and surroundings, residents get the full load. I hear complaints about the foul smell getting into their apartments. Smoke contains substances like sulphur dioxide, soot particles, and nitrogen oxides, all of which are detrimental to people's health.

I think it's time to allocate funds to clean air, instead of building even more empty office towers!
I'm not so sure. See the images below picked by meteorologists showing the differences between pollution smog, heavy air humidity blanket and sand/dust storms.

I believe the JLT-to-Gardens image you showed is a heavy air humidity blanket / mild worked up sand and not industrial pollution.

Dubai doesn't rank anywhere close to known air polluted cities in the world:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/en...s-mean-1.56155

Haze LA:

Sand/dust Dubai

Humidity Gulf

Air pollution Shanghai-China

MichalHajek liked this post

Last edited by String Theory; July 14th, 2014 at 09:36 AM.
String Theory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #6646
String Theory

I challenge any even slightly industrially polluted city to have such a crisp and clear view as Dubai has (unless of course there's a sandstorm or steamy hot-humid summer weather):

firoz bharmal, MichalHajek liked this post
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #6647
GoDubai!
Keep on building!

Likes (Received): 42

I agree, pollution in Dubai is not as bad as so many other places and there are often very clear days. However, in the photo posted by hemelboorder, that is definitely a trail of smoke from the power plant. I have seen it many times coming straight from this plant and spreading across the sky in the manner seen in that picture. More than car exhaust or even the aluminium plant, the power station at Jebel Ali seems to be the clearest contributor of atmospheric pollution in Dubai.
Old July 14th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #6648
chefdude

Likes (Received): 33

The speed hump saga latest.

I am getting tired of bashing the RTA to remove the useless unnecessary and annoying speed bump leading up to the traffic lights on Al Sarayat street but now the situation has just got plain ridiculous. The poorly educated labourers from the labour camps and refineries at the back of JLT are using this speed bump as a pedestrian crossing to the park. I have seen them dodging through 5 lanes of oncoming traffic which is both dangerous and a nuisance to both pedestrian and driver alike.

Won't be long before somebody is knocked over.

I have informed the wont budge RTA that this situation has now become dangerous let's hope they take not and remove the blight
chefdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #6649
AndyH

Likes (Received): 54

Latest on security situation:

Quote:
We would like extend our thanks to all of you for the support and cooperation provided in implementing the DMCC/JLT Security Guarding Services Framework in your respective area or areas in JLT.

As requested by some of the towers, we shall be extending the end date for the for implementing the framework up to 31st Dec 2104.
AndyH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #6650
auzdafluff

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
Latest on security situation:
"We would like extend our thanks to all of you for the support and cooperation provided in implementing the DMCC/JLT Security Guarding Services Framework in your respective area or areas in JLT.

As requested by some of the towers, we shall be extending the end date for the for implementing the framework up to 31st Dec 2104. "
2104? I know things can take a while to get done in Dubai, but surely that's taking the p***? :p
auzdafluff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #6651
String Theory

It's sad to see incompetence and lack of QC/QA in the JLT Park operation literally eroding the nice blanket of lawn they worked so hard to grow it

The lawn mower guy is cutting away with a blade too low unaware or perhaps totally apathetic to the fact that he's ruining the grass, driving the birds away and making it too messy for kids to roll and play

Old July 16th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #6652
AndyH

Likes (Received): 54

maybe send your pics and feedback to shanthini.bandarage@dmcc.ae

She is the new Community Services Coordinator.
AndyH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #6653
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
maybe send your pics and feedback to shanthini.bandarage@dmcc.ae

She is the new Community Services Coordinator.
Much obliged AndyH for the sound advice. I've just emailed DMCC at the address you provided, let's see how attentive they are
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:22 AM   #6654
String Theory

Today's JLT Clusters O-Z Park-Lake Woes:

1- Why are they installing Eid games and rides on the largest lawn area in the park??? This area has become a haven for families and kids to play, roll and have fun. Putting this lawn area out of commission for a week or two will kill the grass without watering in this scorching heat and burning sun and will deprive the public from the nicest part of the Park during Eid when they need it most. There is a large paved area just up the stairs from the lawn, why not use it??? BTW, DMCC still didn't reply to me about their poor lawn mowing practices !

2- I still cannot figure out why they took the excessive time and inflated cost to build two elaborate Park entrances while the Park is clearly porous and easily accessible from a million spots all around???

3- Lake D is still a horrible ugly mess. Indeed as correctly said here they don't seem to be draining it, but it has become a source of foul stench and an eyesore despite the two formidable pumping and circulation stations they built around it. It seems to me they've botched this job BIG time!!!

4- On a lighter note, they've just installed permanent Park signs