daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #1181
Salt Peanuts

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
I think that was me and I'd question what you mean. Population wise they are similar and both would be newly formed town councils within a larger top tier authority.
Shrewsbury 70,00 residents, cost to run £448,000

Sutton Coldfield 96,000 residents, suggested cost to run at least £200,000.

[source Ballot FAQ p7]

Given that SC has a third more residents I'd suggest that, based on this ratio, the annual cost to run will be nearer £600,000.

To put it another way, the figures suggest that the running cost should be at least as much as Shrewsbury, not 50% less. That unexplained discrepancy undermines the case, such as it is.

Of course, there may be economies of scale but the FAQ makes no mention of any.

Last edited by Salt Peanuts; June 27th, 2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: further thoughts
Salt Peanuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 27th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #1182
Bugbyte

Likes (Received): 21

It may be Shrewbury has more responsibility and services than the proposed Sutton council, hence the higher figure.
Bugbyte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #1183
Salt Peanuts

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
It may be Shrewbury has more responsibility and services than the proposed Sutton council, hence the higher figure.
Nothing in the FAQ about that but, if true, then Shrewsbury is not a proper comparator.

Either way, the likely cost is still guesswork.

Last edited by Salt Peanuts; June 28th, 2015 at 11:26 AM.
Salt Peanuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #1184
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 137

Is there any possibility that the town council could be the first step towards independence?

It seems to me that the benefits of this proposed town council are negligible and will just create another layer of bureaucracy.

By the way, was pleased to see on a TV report that work has begun on the old town hall to convert it into apartments. It would be good to see Pegasus get moving with the Brassington Ave site as well. The more people living by the town centre, the better.
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #1185
Dying Duck

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Is there any possibility that the town council could be the first step towards independence?

It seems to me that the benefits of this proposed town council are negligible and will just create another layer of bureaucracy.
If Sutton stays within the combined authority, you'd think it wouldn't matter whether it remains part of BCC or not.

Saying that, would an independent Sutton council be liable for a chunk of BCC's debt?
Dying Duck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #1186
sefton66

Likes (Received): 1476

id assume so

Also worth pointing out as a local area to Birmingham it would also be liable to provide housing for residents of Birmingham.... That could actually see an increase in what Birmingham plans for sutton, and that's not being welcomed by residents as it is
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #1187
Mercurius
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
I got mine today. What are your thoughts? I read the leaflet while having a dump. It doesn't give any specifics which is a worry, but I'm inclined to give it a go in the whole for (some) improved local services.
Not overly keen. Means more costs to pay for each household. I can see the advantages of it but don't think the masses will be willing to pay extra to get pretty much the same as what they have now.
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #1188
Mercurius
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 72

Also if it does come into being. Are the costs going to be forced onto people if a majority vote for it? Suppose there is no other way really.
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #1189
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
Also if it does come into being. Are the costs going to be forced onto people if a majority vote for it? Suppose there is no other way really.
Yep, if the plans are accepted then the precept will be added to the council tax bill.
hoody está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #1190
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts View Post
Shrewsbury 70,00 residents, cost to run £448,000

Sutton Coldfield 96,000 residents, suggested cost to run at least £200,000.

[source Ballot FAQ p7]

Given that SC has a third more residents I'd suggest that, based on this ratio, the annual cost to run will be nearer £600,000.

To put it another way, the figures suggest that the running cost should be at least as much as Shrewsbury, not 50% less. That unexplained discrepancy undermines the case, such as it is.

Of course, there may be economies of scale but the FAQ makes no mention of any.
I thought the suggested SC town council would be within the constituency of the same name population circa 75,000? Doesn't matter anyway but it seems quite pricey for the services you get from such councils.