search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Skyscrapers & General Urban Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #13841
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That's a nice set of twins in Melbourne.

Anyway, a new 258m tower in our nation's capital:

YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!
What the hell, this thing is a monstrosity! I hope that is not going to go ahead in it's final form, it's a mishmash of bad styles and just looks like Lego amateur hour at playgroup!
It's not just ugly it's seriously revolting. One of the very worst buildings I have ever seen and on par with that hideous hotel in Macau - Grand Lisboa.

If they were going to go with the deconstructed block look at least either do it all over or make it look more integrated like the tower in Bangkok.

Last edited by Avatar; June 19th, 2017 at 10:19 AM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:16 AM   #13842
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2 View Post
Better images of CQ tower via Beep1Beep2:

Imposing.

Rialto will lose title of tallest office tower to roof in Australia. A mighty 30 year plus reign.

I'd love to see the other Architectural Comp designs.
Beautifully slender but very safe with the glass. I hope that clearer renders will give us a better indication of the facade detailing and treatment. Too many of Sydney's towers are overly conservative.

PD liked this post
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:29 AM   #13843
Dean

Likes (Received): 678

Yes i tend to agree with Av here that Brisbane one is not good. However the real disappointment is the much hyped but seriously underwhelming sydney tower. Compared to say Aurora, Premier, or the Sapphire twins it's as plain as can be. However it fits right in with the even more banal wanker one building next door.
Dean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:17 AM   #13844
db2

Likes (Received): 1426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Yes i tend to agree with Av here that Brisbane one is not good. However the real disappointment is the much hyped but seriously underwhelming sydney tower. Compared to say Aurora, Premier, or the Sapphire twins it's as plain as can be. However it fits right in with the even more banal wanker one building next door.
Resi vs office, not like for like. New Melbourne office towers are very conservative too.

I like CQ, it is big and with the right finishes and lighting it will be excellent, but no doubt it is very conservative, very standard Norman Foster. The super-tall top floor does look ace.

Crown Sydney will be the prime attraction.
db2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:03 PM   #13845
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 4967

A couple of low quality screenshots from the 7 News Sydney story this evening. The first is from the south, I think the second is from the west.

https://www.facebook.com/7newssydney...9825625708230/

SYDNEY

WandaVista Hotel Kengo Kuma & Crone | York & George John Wardle | Darling Exchange Kengo Kuma
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #13846
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 8941

^looks sensational

Crown update

Crown will look incredible on sunset

samjellett liked this post
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #13847
tic
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Resi vs office, not like for like. New Melbourne office towers are very conservative too.

I like CQ, it is big and with the right finishes and lighting it will be excellent, but no doubt it is very conservative, very standard Norman Foster. The super-tall top floor does look ace.

Crown Sydney will be the prime attraction.
Crown Sydney is not that exciting. It's "safe" I guess. I'm not sure I'm totally sold on that latest Brisbane one, but at least the crop of new Brisbane towers are not "safe". I think Sydney has become a bit un-imaginative. It is saved by it's stunning harbour at least. Melbourne designs are also more imaginative, but there also, there are some very ordinary buildings - particularly some of the new northern cluster. Quantity over quality.
tic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:24 AM   #13848
Galactic Ruler

Yes I think Sydney has become bogged down not just with the buildings but everything, dumbed down and homogenised. It is as if the entire city wants to strive for banal and ok, but never impressive or progressive. Everything is safe, comfortable and trying to fit in without making a scene. I'd call most of the developments almost timid.
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #13849
AKLdewy
Master Louis

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinglikethat View Post
Looks better than Australia 108 and its tacky starburst features.
I don't like those either. I wasn't comparing them though. For one; it looks like it has a bunch of growths on it and two; the tower isn't consistant in its design, it just looks smashed together. Could be a lot nicer despite a very nice ground level
AKLdewy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:19 AM   #13850
db2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tic View Post
Crown Sydney is not that exciting. It's "safe" I guess.
C'mon, that's just plain wrong. Crown Sydney is anything but safe; surely you can see that. The way it flare's out somewhat like a sail is anything but safe (and certainly not cheap). It will be superb.

CQ on the other hand is conservative. Personally I would have like just a tad more flair, especially for the $1.5 billion price tag. However, if they use the right materials and glass then it will be outstanding. Overall I like it; hoping that better renders come forward soon.

I especially like that extra height top floor; is that a public or event space?
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:24 AM   #13851
db2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
Yes I think Sydney has become bogged down not just with the buildings but everything, dumbed down and homogenised. It is as if the entire city wants to strive for banal and ok, but never impressive or progressive. Everything is safe, comfortable and trying to fit in without making a scene. I'd call most of the developments almost timid.
These two are not banal:

redden, nOchAos, cnd, jammi, spinnn and 3 others liked this post
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:38 AM   #13852
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 8941

thoise two are most excellent
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:50 AM   #13853
redden

Likes (Received): 7611

Nicholas Harrison has posted on UrbanMelbourne that SP Setia's twin tower project, Sapphire by the Gardens, at 308 Exhibition Street, has sold 70% of its apartments and will start before year's end. We're a bit stunned that such a massive project (251m/255m) can go from a concept to a dead cert so quickly. As if to emphasize SPS's dynamism, Nicholas also just reported that they've splashed out in the vicinity of $60 million to buy the 111-125 A'Beckett Street site, which has approval for a 210m tower. See the 200-249m thread for more.

spinnn liked this post
redden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:51 AM   #13854
redden

Likes (Received): 7611

https://urban.melbourne/forum/cbd-30...#comment-29639
redden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:33 AM   #13855
OUTOFNOWHERE

Likes (Received): 423

Funny how in one post Avatar attacks a new Brisbane tower for being a mish mash and ugly, then in the next post, criticises a Sydney tower for being too conservative!!!! Honestly mate, what do you want!!!?

BenAffleck liked this post
OUTOFNOWHERE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:35 AM   #13856
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 4854

I like the Circular Quay tower, I think it suits Sydney.

Sydney needs tower designs that complement its landmarks and do not overpower them. Crown is a good example of a tower that blends well into the existing urban fabric. This design will also sit well. In Europe, city architects are important in some cities in ensuring that consistent look and balance to the skyline and the same should apply to Sydney.

Of course, none of this applies outside of Sydney because Melbourne and Brisbane have far more creative freedom in a sense, which is also fine, but in Sydney's case, they need to stay classy and elegant and somewhat understated and that's what they are doing, so good stuff.
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:36 AM   #13857
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
These two are not banal:

This one is the only saving grace. I'm not a fan of the design chosen for the Star. the AMP tower on the other hand is stunning, unconventional and is a welcome change. If you look at just about anything in Melbourne though, the designs are generally original, have amazing glass and break the mould with colour and form. Melbourne seems to be getting the more interesting designs IMO. It appears to me that CoS design excellence panel/need to run every tower as a competition is stifling the creativity or architects or at least the most boring and conventional designs seem to be getting chosen more often. I think we should do away with the running design competitions.
Old June 20th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #13858
jammi

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
It appears to me that CoS design excellence panel/need to run every tower as a competition is stifling the creativity or architects or at least the most boring and conventional designs seem to be getting chosen more often. I think we should do away with the running design competitions.
No no no no no. The competitive process has produced some of the best buildings in our city (and that list starts with the Opera House).

The issue lies with the absurd amount of bureaucracy involved with getting anything done in this city. Just trying to get a basic proposal through council is painful enough for developers let alone trying to get something through which pushes boundaries or dares to do something different. What motivation is there for developers to be bold when it's just going to cost them even more time and money and has a very slim chance of resulting in better returns for them down the track?

What is needed is a total overhaul of our planning system to create something that protects the interests of the community but is also friendlier to developers.
jammi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #13859
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 4967

Quote:
The key distinction here is that anything Av doesn't like is banal

There's two things that are bogged down in Sydney right now - the planning system and nightlife. Even with all the constraints Sydney puts on itself on those two fronts, we're still getting some great buildings and the depths of nightlife despair have well and truly bottomed out.

Sydney is excelling in a great number of areas at the moment - construction of public transport, roads, sporting stadia, cultural infrastructure, schools, hospitals, Western Sydney Airport et al.

SYDNEY

WandaVista Hotel Kengo Kuma & Crone | York & George John Wardle | Darling Exchange Kengo Kuma
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #13860
jpsolarized

Likes (Received): 558

Sydney's CBD is so constraint that everything already built up will have to be demolished to build something new instead of going southwards or in any other direction to expand it.

It's a pity.
jpsolarized no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, proposals, tower, video