search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala > Kollam

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #1861
Binoj_viswam
kollamBinoj

Likes (Received): 36

Saw ad of K- Mall this morning in indiavision, asianet news and manoarama news. looks very promising project
Binoj_viswam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #1862
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binoj_viswam View Post
Saw ad of K- Mall this morning in indiavision, asianet news and manoarama news. looks very promising project
Binoj, any idea where in Kollam city this good looking Mall comes up? Has the work already started?
Emerging_Quilon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #1863
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

A Kollam - Manchester connection : SSA teams up with British Council

Kollam will be just another neighbourhood name for British students in the near future. The very same way that Manchester is becoming dear to many students back home in Kollam.

A new style of collaborative learning is being unfolded in many schools in Kollam, thanks to the initiative by the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) in the State. It has teamed up with the British Council as part of ‘Connecting Classroom’ project, which has hundreds of students in Kollam connected to the classrooms in many schools in Manchester.

The tie-up is only three-months old, but the enthusiasm has caught up with teachers, it seems. The SSA has already sent six teachers from the State to Manchester to imbibe the spirit of teaching and learning exercises under the project and to get the real feel.

“It is basically a transfer of one’s cultural, social and learning environments with the students of another country and in turn sharing their concepts and experiences. It’s the latest of tools that a student can get in tune with the modern education system, which turns them into self-learners. The student is actually turning out to be a global student,” said T P Kaladharan, SSA State Programme Officer in-charge of the teachers’ training.

Being the first time to be knotted into a global relationship, the SSA is treading cautiously. As of now, schools in three clusters, which makes a total of 16 schools in Kollam, have been selected for the project.

Presently, the students are engrossed in preparing the projects related to the culture, social and history. To sample some of them: the festivals in Kerala, the national leaders from Kerala, food and eating habits of Keralites, the climate and the various seasons.

The projects once completed will be sent to the UK by the students and will receive a heap of similar project works from their counterparts there.

From seasons, weather and eating habits of people in Manchester, the projects will be equally interesting and informative.

The Connecting Classroom project is a test of the skills for the teachers too and has been hailed as a teacher exchange programme.

For, they can no longer remain the traditional teacher who helps students much on the textbooks, but need to update themselves on the latest in the eworld along with their teaching materials.

Development of reading and writing skills in English, for both teachers and students, will be an additional outcome of the project, SSA officials say.

A group of students and teachers from Manchester will visit the schools on Kollam on October under the project.
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #1864
colinsunil

Likes (Received): 28

K-Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging_Quilon View Post
Binoj, any idea where in Kollam city this good looking Mall comes up? Has the work already started?
By the shape it resembles the one which is coming up next to the Alukas Building...
colinsunil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #1865
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsunil View Post
By the shape it resembles the one which is coming up next to the Alukas Building...
Yes...that is the confusion. I thought M-Mall is the one coming up near Alukkas. But M-Mall structure looks different.

The K-Mall rendering and the upcoming structure has great similarity.

There was a mention of Malabar Gold mall coming up in the city called Fort Infra. I thought both M-Mall and Fort Infra are the same.

Need some clear distinction about the names and the location of malls: M-Mall, K-Mall and Fort Infra.

Anyway, it is nice to hear couple of new mall names in Kollam city.
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #1866
Binoj_viswam
kollamBinoj

Likes (Received): 36

The address given is K Mall, Chinnakkada. Alukkas is not in chinnakkada
Binoj_viswam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #1867
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binoj_viswam View Post
The address given is K Mall, Chinnakkada. Alukkas is not in chinnakkada
That means K - Mall is coming up somewhere along the Main Road.

Then my assumption is correct. M-Mall is coming up near the Velankanny shrine. It seems a huge one, may be bigger than K-Mall.

Binoj, thanks for the update which gave me more clarity.

Anyway, I will try to locate both the malls and take some snaps when I visit Kollam in May.
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #1868
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Great News - Two ships docked at Kollam Port for the first time

I heard some delighting news today that Kollam Port accomodated two ships at the wharf at the same time.

One ship is the biggest of all the ships that have docked the wharf in the ports history carrying sand from Gujarat.

Sagar Manjusha, another ship from Lakshadweep also docked at the wharf for study and research of marine and other ocean related subjects.

Love to see some snaps of the port with two ships at the wharf.
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #1869
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Likes (Received): 508

Quote:

Then my assumption is correct. M-Mall is coming up near the Velankanny shrine. It seems a huge one, may be bigger than K-Mall.

Anyway, I will try to locate both the malls and take some snaps when I visit Kollam in May.
post some picture of these up coming structures....

Vinod
vinod_2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1870
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 7732

Kollam District Table Tennis Association boasts a TT Trainer Robot

[IMG]http://i41.************/121644p.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i40.************/20hpwdz.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Reghu; April 13th, 2010 at 09:53 PM.
Reghu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #1871
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Quote:

I have found the following snap from a previous post of scorpiogenious. This one comes up near the Velankanny shrine and looks like the K - Mall if we compare the rendering and the upcoming building.

[IMG]http://i37.************/sd0nq9.jpg[/IMG]

No idea about M-Mall and where it comes up

Pic Courtesy - Scorpio & Sai Krishna
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1872
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Quote:
I heard some delighting news today that Kollam Port accomodated two ships at the wharf at the same time.

One ship is the biggest of all the ships that have docked the wharf in the ports history carrying sand from Gujarat.

Sagar Manjusha, another ship from Lakshadweep also docked at the wharf for study and research of marine and other ocean related subjects.

Love to see some snaps of the port with two ships at the wharf.
Yes, two ships have docked at the Kollam Port's extended wharf now. They are Great Kali, a ship that imported 5000 tons of sand from Gujarat. The second one called Sagar Manjusha was already docked at the port since last month for study purpose. They found Kollam Port more suitable for their research and survey.

I have posted the relevant news in the Kollam Port thread.

Last edited by Reghu; April 13th, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #1873
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Tanker lorry calibration unit to come up at Kollam city

A tanker lorry calibration unit would shortly open at Kollam. Land for the purpose had been allocated to the Kerala Legal Metrology Department near the Kollam Junction Railway station.

The other tanker lorry calibration units are at Kozhikode and Ernakulam.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #1874
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Rs. 8.14 crore allocated for National Highway development work within the city

KOLLAM: The National Highway Authority of India has allocated a sum of Rs. 8.14 crore for resurfacing the Kavanad-Kollam Collectorate-Chinnakada-Mevaram course of the National Highway-47 course through Kollam, according to a statement by the office of Labour Minister P.K. Gurudasan who is also the Kollam MLA.
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #1875
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

High time to widen the NH-47 and NH-208 roads within the city

The National highway NH -47 stretch between Vellayittambalam - Cutchery Junction - Chinnakada Main road is very narrow.

I think they should change the alignment of the NH-47 that goes through the CBD.

Since there is an alternate road that runs through parallel to this road from Vellayittambalam - Mulankadakom - Anandavalleesharam, authorities should widen this road to a 4-lane road and term it as NH -47.

It will be difficult to widen the NH-47 (Main Road stretch) as the commercial hub is located along this stretch.

So, it is a great idea to develop the Vellayittambalam - Mulankadakom - Anandavalleesharam stretch which passes very near to the Ashtamudi Lake banks. Crystal's apartment and Artec's apartments are coming up along this road.

Also, the NH - 208 stretch from Chinnakkada to Kallumthazham is very narrow and poses traffic snarls during the peak time. This road should be widened to 4-lane atleast near to the Kollam Bypass road at Kallumthazham.

Last edited by Emerging_Quilon; April 14th, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #1876
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Ashramam - Kappalandimukku 4-lane road to be completed in June 2010

• 4-lane road to be completed by first week of June 2010

• Date extended to complete the footpath works at 3.5 KM stretch

• Electronic Signalling at Kadapakkada Junction

• Mayor to discuss with E. Ahmed regarding railway land for Chinnakada Underpass
[IMG]http://i43.************/2qvqc12.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #1877
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Travancore Plywood Factory at Punalur to become Kinfra Industrial Park

• Kinfra to develop infrastructure for industries at the 65 acre land

• Road, Elecricity and Water supply facilities to done
[IMG]http://i43.************/24wefph.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i40.************/2mdpda1.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #1878
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Jalothsvam to be held in Kollam City today

As part of the pooram festival, a Jalothsvam will be held at the Ashtamudi lake in the city today evening. Snake boats and other cultural show will be held as part of the Jalothsavam.

The boat race will start from the Thevally Bridge end side and finishes at the Boat terminal near to KSRTC Bus Station.

The authorities are planning to conduct the Snake Boat race and the Jalothsavam as an annual affair before the Pooram day.

Reputed snake boat clubs from all over the state will participate the race from next year onwards. The Jalothsavam and Pooram will showcase the district's cutural tourism activities to the outer world.

Wish you all the forummers a happy Vishu, Bihu and Baishakhi
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #1879
Reghu
Kollam Rising

MEMUs to start service from early 2011

• MEMU to eventually replace passenger trains

• Existing railway infrastructure to be used

• On Thiruvananthapuram-Ernakulam and Ernakulam-Palakkad stretches

The suburban Mainline Electric Multiple Unit (MEMU) train services will commence operations in the State in the last quarter of this financial year along the Thiruvananthapuram-Ernakulam and Ernakulam-Palakkad stretches.

Addressing a press conference here on Friday, Divisional Railway Manager Rajiv Dutt Sharma said inspection and stabling-line facilities and maintenance shed for the MEMU services were nearing completion in Kollam and Palakkad.

“We will start MEMU services on a trial basis replacing the passenger trains that has maximum patronage. In two to three years, all passenger trains in the Thiruvananthapuram railway division will be replaced by MEMU services,'' Mr. Sharma said.

The Divisional Manager said the maintenance shed in Palakkad could handle at least eight rakes at a time and the one coming up in Kollam could handle 12 rakes.

The Railways are yet to decide whether to introduce the rakes with nine cars or with 12 cars for MEMU operations. MEMU trains of nine cars can carry 3,000 passengers at a time and seating will be as in suburban trains. Each train can run 200 km at a stretch. MEMU services are now plying in the State on the Palakkad Town-Coimbatore-Shoranur section. “The 12 rakes can replace as many as 30 passenger trains,'' he said.

The Railways were insisting on two dedicated lines and high-level platforms for operating MEMU services. Replying to a query in this regard, he said the MEMU services would be operated using the existing railway infrastructure.
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #1880
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Kollam - Thirumangalam NH - 208 to widened under BOT scheme

• Road to have 20 to 24 metres width in the city

• Toll gates to come up at Cheerancavu and Aryancavu

• Road will be 4-lane from Kundara to Kollam City

• Other section will have 14 metre wide 2-lane roads
[IMG]http://i39.************/2zyiqgj.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i40.************/2cf4bjr.jpg[/IMG]