daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Projects > Development News



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #1
112597Jorge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 427
Likes (Received): 40

The Gayley At Wilshire

A 29 story residential tower, with a 5 star hotel

http://www.wilshiregayley.com/location.html

I don't know if it's dead or not but it seems it is still in the works.
112597Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles
 
Mojeda101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 614
Likes (Received): 383

What makes you say it's in the works?
__________________
Any and all photos of my Los Angeles updates can be found at my Flickr
Any extras can be found on my Instagram
Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #3
goom
South Bay-LA
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 2

this project has been dead for a long time
goom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4
pesto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,823
Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
this project has been dead for a long time
Last I heard, metro was moving the Purple station to Westwood Blvd.to make room for this. This would be odd if the hotel is cancelled, since UCLA is building its shuttle station next to where the Gayley station would have been. Or am I way behind on this?
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Illithid Dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 79
Likes (Received): 28

Not dead. The developer is waiting for a tax break to break ground. They cleared the site late last year.
Illithid Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:21 PM   #6
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,478
Likes (Received): 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Not dead. The developer is waiting for a tax break to break ground. They cleared the site late last year.
My office overlooks the site. You all will be the first to know the moment there is activity.
slipperydog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:29 AM   #7
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S
 
milquetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson NV
Posts: 6,169
Likes (Received): 335

milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles
 
Mojeda101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 614
Likes (Received): 383

image hosted on flickr


Just love this picture. Makes it look like the Flatiron Building in New York, although it won't have the cross street luxury.
__________________
Any and all photos of my Los Angeles updates can be found at my Flickr
Any extras can be found on my Instagram
Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #9
klamedia
Silver Lake
 
klamedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 5,673
Likes (Received): 154

Love it! This will be accessible by future Purple Line I imagine.
__________________
"Self defense is not violence" - Malcolm X
"I love Los Angeles. I love Hollywood. They're so beautiful. Everything's plastic, but I love plastic. I want to be plastic." - Andy Warhol
Minimum parking standards are fertility drugs for cars. - Donald Shoup
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #10
pesto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,823
Likes (Received): 260

Basically, they had to put the stop at Westwood and Wilshire to allow the building to be built.

I think you and I discussed the Westwood stop some time ago: you favored Wishire/Westwood and I favored Gayley since UCLA was centering their shuttle service at that point plus it keeps foot traffic off away from the Wilshire/Westwood intersection. Apparently Gayley is not possible if this building goes in.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #11
klamedia
Silver Lake
 
klamedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 5,673
Likes (Received): 154

I'd like a UCLA stop and appreciate your approach. But I've been on Wilshire in that area and there are a ton of busses coming and going. A UCLA stop would be great for the students but not the gen pop.
__________________
"Self defense is not violence" - Malcolm X
"I love Los Angeles. I love Hollywood. They're so beautiful. Everything's plastic, but I love plastic. I want to be plastic." - Andy Warhol
Minimum parking standards are fertility drugs for cars. - Donald Shoup
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #12
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,478
Likes (Received): 433

There is no such thing as a UCLA stop, as Wilshire/Gayley is about 75 yards away from Wilshire/Westwood. Neither intersection is remotely close to campus. UCLA students will still have to use the campus shuttle routes to get down to the proposed Purple Line stop.

The Gayley intersection would theoretically be a better option than Westwood because Gayley has mostly apartments housing students, who are typically less likely to own cars as opposed to Westwood which is mostly SFH's and naturally less likely to need to use the Metro system.
slipperydog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #13
pesto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,823
Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
There is no such thing as a UCLA stop, as Wilshire/Gayley is about 75 yards away from Wilshire/Westwood. Neither intersection is remotely close to campus. UCLA students will still have to use the campus shuttle routes to get down to the proposed Purple Line stop.

The Gayley intersection would theoretically be a better option than Westwood because Gayley has mostly apartments housing students, who are typically less likely to own cars as opposed to Westwood which is mostly SFH's and naturally less likely to need to use the Metro system.
As I recall, UCLA was building a shuttle center on the surface lot NW of Gayley/Wilshire near Kinross to serve student housing, the subway, the medical center and main campus. This is closer to the 405 and avoids the Westwood/Wilshire intersection, plus it has existing multilevel parking structures.

People exiting the subway could go directly to the UCLA/Medical Center shuttle without walking 2-3 blocks to Kinross/Veteran. But, from Metro's website, it seems that they can't work around the building and want to build at Westwood.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #14
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,478
Likes (Received): 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
As I recall, UCLA was building a shuttle center on the surface lot NW of Gayley/Wilshire near Kinross to serve student housing, the subway, the medical center and main campus. This is closer to the 405 and avoids the Westwood/Wilshire intersection, plus it has existing multilevel parking structures.

People exiting the subway could go directly to the UCLA/Medical Center shuttle without walking 2-3 blocks to Kinross/Veteran. But, from Metro's website, it seems that they can't work around the building and want to build at Westwood.
I personally haven’t heard anything about a plan for construction of a “shuttle center” in Lot 36 (doesn't mean it's nonexistant), although to be fair I’m not sure what that even really means. There is already a campus shuttle stop north of Lot 36 on Kinross between Veteran and Gayley. There is also a campus shuttle stop at Wilshire/Gayley (Midvale), which like I mentioned is a block away from Wilshire/Westwood. Obviously UCLA always has the freedom to adjust their shuttle routes, and they may do so when the Purple Line stop opens. Point is, even given the current UCLA shuttle routes (subject to change as needed), the distance one would need to walk to get from the Wilshire/Westwood metro station to a UCLA shuttle will be minimal.
slipperydog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #15
pesto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,823
Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
I personally haven’t heard anything about a plan for construction of a “shuttle center” in Lot 36 (doesn't mean it's nonexistant), although to be fair I’m not sure what that even really means. There is already a campus shuttle stop north of Lot 36 on Kinross between Veteran and Gayley. There is also a campus shuttle stop at Wilshire/Gayley (Midvale), which like I mentioned is a block away from Wilshire/Westwood. Obviously UCLA always has the freedom to adjust their shuttle routes, and they may do so when the Purple Line stop opens. Point is, even given the current UCLA shuttle routes (subject to change as needed), the distance one would need to walk to get from the Wilshire/Westwood metro station to a UCLA shuttle will be minimal.
Again, I am talking from maybe 3 years ago, but the theory was that the subway would open into a plaza with food and light retail that also had shelters and turn-arounds for a greatly increased shuttle service (thousands of additional students, patients, administration and sports fans would use the shuttle after the subway opens).

Crowds exiting at Westwood would be likely to jam up a corner which is already very bad. Not a disaster, but not as convenient for riders or drivers as having it at Gayley.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #16
Kenni
Super Mod
 
Kenni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles | San Salvador
Posts: 21,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
My office overlooks the site. You all will be the first to know the moment there is activity.
You're the man Slip!
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #17
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S
 
milquetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson NV
Posts: 6,169
Likes (Received): 335

We'll expect pictures.
You can be our WolverineMan.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #18
pesto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,823
Likes (Received): 260

Has Gayley turned into the "invisible tower" or has WolverineMan gone to the dark side?

In other words, any action at all on this? I guess I'll check it out when I'm in town next week.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #19
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,478
Likes (Received): 433

Still nothing, this is one of three large prime location parcels in Westwood still untouched. In other Westwood news, a new Target has opened. I know, it's shocking that it's taken this long for an all-in-one discount department store to open with such a needy populace in close proximity. Also, an off-shoot of Umami Burger has opened in the past couple months and Chick-fil-a is on the way.
slipperydog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #20
pesto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,823
Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Still nothing, this is one of three large prime location parcels in Westwood still untouched. In other Westwood news, a new Target has opened. I know, it's shocking that it's taken this long for an all-in-one discount department store to open with such a needy populace in close proximity. Also, an off-shoot of Umami Burger has opened in the past couple months and Chick-fil-a is on the way.
Thanks. Not really much to celebrate this holiday season. Guess I'll stick to DT, Hollywood and La Brea.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu