daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Projects > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #1
112597Jorge

Likes (Received): 40

The Gayley At Wilshire

A 29 story residential tower, with a 5 star hotel

http://www.wilshiregayley.com/location.html

I don't know if it's dead or not but it seems it is still in the works.
112597Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 383

What makes you say it's in the works?
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #3
goom
South Bay-LA

Likes (Received): 2

this project has been dead for a long time
goom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4
pesto

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
this project has been dead for a long time
Last I heard, metro was moving the Purple station to Westwood Blvd.to make room for this. This would be odd if the hotel is cancelled, since UCLA is building its shuttle station next to where the Gayley station would have been. Or am I way behind on this?
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Illithid Dude

Likes (Received): 28

Not dead. The developer is waiting for a tax break to break ground. They cleared the site late last year.
Illithid Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:21 PM   #6
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Not dead. The developer is waiting for a tax break to break ground. They cleared the site late last year.
My office overlooks the site. You all will be the first to know the moment there is activity.
slipperydog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:29 AM   #7
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 335

milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 383

image hosted on flickr

Just love this picture. Makes it look like the Flatiron Building in New York, although it won't have the cross street luxury.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #9
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 154

Love it! This will be accessible by future Purple Line I imagine.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #10
pesto

Basically, they had to put the stop at Westwood and Wilshire to allow the building to be built.

I think you and I discussed the Westwood stop some time ago: you favored Wishire/Westwood and I favored Gayley since UCLA was centering their shuttle service at that point plus it keeps foot traffic off away from the Wilshire/Westwood intersection. Apparently Gayley is not possible if this building goes in.
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #11
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 154

I'd like a UCLA stop and appreciate your approach. But I've been on Wilshire in that area and there are a ton of busses coming and going. A UCLA stop would be great for the students but not the gen pop.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #12
slipperydog

There is no such thing as a UCLA stop, as Wilshire/Gayley is about 75 yards away from Wilshire/Westwood. Neither intersection is remotely close to campus. UCLA students will still have to use the campus shuttle routes to get down to the proposed Purple Line stop.

The Gayley intersection would theoretically be a better option than Westwood because Gayley has mostly apartments housing students, who are typically less likely to own cars as opposed to Westwood which is mostly SFH's and naturally less likely to need to use the Metro system.
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #13
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
There is no such thing as a UCLA stop, as Wilshire/Gayley is about 75 yards away from Wilshire/Westwood. Neither intersection is remotely close to campus. UCLA students will still have to use the campus shuttle routes to get down to the proposed Purple Line stop.

The Gayley intersection would theoretically be a better option than Westwood because Gayley has mostly apartments housing students, who are typically less likely to own cars as opposed to Westwood which is mostly SFH's and naturally less likely to need to use the Metro system.
As I recall, UCLA was building a shuttle center on the surface lot NW of Gayley/Wilshire near Kinross to serve student housing, the subway, the medical center and main campus. This is closer to the 405 and avoids the Westwood/Wilshire intersection, plus it has existing multilevel parking structures.

People exiting the subway could go directly to the UCLA/Medical Center shuttle without walking 2-3 blocks to Kinross/Veteran. But, from Metro's website, it seems that they can't work around the building and want to build at Westwood.
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #14
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
As I recall, UCLA was building a shuttle center on the surface lot NW of Gayley/Wilshire near Kinross to serve student housing, the subway, the medical center and main campus. This is closer to the 405 and avoids the Westwood/Wilshire intersection, plus it has existing multilevel parking structures.

People exiting the subway could go directly to the UCLA/Medical Center shuttle without walking 2-3 blocks to Kinross/Veteran. But, from Metro's website, it seems that they can't work around the building and want to build at Westwood.
I personally haven’t heard anything about a plan for construction of a “shuttle center” in Lot 36 (doesn't mean it's nonexistant), although to be fair I’m not sure what that even really means. There is already a campus shuttle stop north of Lot 36 on Kinross between Veteran and Gayley. There is also a campus shuttle stop at Wilshire/Gayley (Midvale), which like I mentioned is a block away from Wilshire/Westwood. Obviously UCLA always has the freedom to adjust their shuttle routes, and they may do so when the Purple Line stop opens. Point is, even given the current UCLA shuttle routes (subject to change as needed), the distance one would need to walk to get from the Wilshire/Westwood metro station to a UCLA shuttle will be minimal.
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #15
pesto

Quote:
I personally haven’t heard anything about a plan for construction of a “shuttle center” in Lot 36 (doesn't mean it's nonexistant), although to be fair I’m not sure what that even really means. There is already a campus shuttle stop north of Lot 36 on Kinross between Veteran and Gayley. There is also a campus shuttle stop at Wilshire/Gayley (Midvale), which like I mentioned is a block away from Wilshire/Westwood. Obviously UCLA always has the freedom to adjust their shuttle routes, and they may do so when the Purple Line stop opens. Point is, even given the current UCLA shuttle routes (subject to change as needed), the distance one would need to walk to get from the Wilshire/Westwood metro station to a UCLA shuttle will be minimal.
Again, I am talking from maybe 3 years ago, but the theory was that the subway would open into a plaza with food and light retail that also had shelters and turn-arounds for a greatly increased shuttle service (thousands of additional students, patients, administration and sports fans would use the shuttle after the subway opens).

Crowds exiting at Westwood would be likely to jam up a corner which is already very bad. Not a disaster, but not as convenient for riders or drivers as having it at Gayley.
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #16
Kenni
Super Mod

Quote:
My office overlooks the site. You all will be the first to know the moment there is activity.
You're the man Slip!
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #17
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 335

We'll expect pictures.
You can be our WolverineMan.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #18
pesto

Has Gayley turned into the "invisible tower" or has WolverineMan gone to the dark side?

In other words, any action at all on this? I guess I'll check it out when I'm in town next week.
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #19
slipperydog

Still nothing, this is one of three large prime location parcels in Westwood still untouched. In other Westwood news, a new Target has opened. I know, it's shocking that it's taken this long for an all-in-one discount department store to open with such a needy populace in close proximity. Also, an off-shoot of Umami Burger has opened in the past couple months and Chick-fil-a is on the way.
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #20
pesto

Quote:
Still nothing, this is one of three large prime location parcels in Westwood still untouched. In other Westwood news, a new Target has opened. I know, it's shocking that it's taken this long for an all-in-one discount department store to open with such a needy populace in close proximity. Also, an off-shoot of Umami Burger has opened in the past couple months and Chick-fil-a is on the way.
Thanks. Not really much to celebrate this holiday season. Guess I'll stick to DT, Hollywood and La Brea.